Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The "marines are transhuman/nongender because of monstrous mechanical changes" is a bad headcanon. They're all depicted as lantern-jawed masculine superheroes. Going "they have no gender actually" is working real hard against all their depictions in marketing and lore material. Yes that's all ephemeral and written by some dumpy shithead in Nottingham but it feels like a real weak workaround to the Adeptus Sausagus Partius, who are depicted as having the biggest swingiest dicks ever.

I don't think even gluing on women heads solves this. You need to depict marines as shambling robotic corpse monsters who look like hosed up cyberzombies in walking tanks and GW won't do that because they're cowards. I bet people would buy Zombie Gulliman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Midjack posted:

Slaanesh is big titty crabclaw demons yes, but I always felt like Hedonism Bot was a better model for what they were going for:
https://youtu.be/e6XXCip04us

Have you seen AoS’ Glutos Orscollion yet

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

Have you seen AoS’ Glutos Orscollion yet

Oh hey, looks like they finally decided to diversify the brand after thirty years.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Midjack posted:

Oh hey, looks like they finally decided to diversify the brand after thirty years.

AoS Hedonites of Slaanesh is all about focusing on the "excess" part of their title. Scantily clad archers? Buddy, NO ONE is allowed pants in the archer corps. The best swordsmen? Their swordsmen are so good they kill anyone who comes at them with armor. Musicians? Their musicians love music so much they BECAME the instruments. True Love? The one time a daemon fell in love with a mortal, they killed anyone who stood in their way (and are still going). Gluttony? The guy's so gluttonous they've had to sew his belly back up.

Kind of a nice change from just "Sex, drugs and rock n' roll".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Midjack posted:

Slaanesh is big titty crabclaw demons yes, but I always felt like Hedonism Bot was a better model for what they were going for:
https://youtu.be/e6XXCip04us
I remember a post someone made ages ago about how the sex and blood orgies are just to get recruits in the door and all the higher ups are into stuff like extreme skydiving.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Splicer posted:

I remember a post someone made ages ago about how the sex and blood orgies are just to get recruits in the door and all the higher ups are into stuff like extreme skydiving.

I remember discussion aeons ago in the Fatal and friends thread pointing out that Slaanesh's problem vis-a-vis writing might have been that they emphasized the Sex more than the Drugs and Rock'n'roll and kind of made the faction less interesting by chasing titties. Slaanesh as a faction shouldn't be hyper-fixated on sex when there are SO many other things to take to excess!

So basically I fully endorse this pitch for Slaanesh.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

I think of it more like the stuff the higher ups are into isn't even recognisable as excess and decadence until decades of titty crab orgies have burned all the pleasure centres of your brain into weird shapes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Whybird posted:

I think of it more like the stuff the higher ups are into isn't even recognisable as excess and decadence until decades of titty crab orgies have burned all the pleasure centres of your brain into weird shapes.

A lot of the more recent writing with Slaanesh plays this up more, higher ups who survive long enough in cults become incredibly burnt out from abusing their senses and seek ever more esoteric and depraved sensations.

Age of Sigmar actually has some decent writing about that, comes to mind a Slaanesh fortress with various layers basically representing the good ol' cardinal sins, with every kind of way to indulge yourself to death presented.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just can't help think of this bit from Venture Bros. (probably NSFW and NMS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM4w49k33wU

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Basically the foreverially delitized guy but also he can loving murder you

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Splicer posted:

There's a gotrek and felix short story from the 80s that features a group of nobles having fallen into a slaanesh sex cult thing and while the main leader guy is all "yeah bdsm babyee" he's increasingly irritated by one of them who seems to have gone off sex entirely and only seems to care about food, ordering ever larger and more lavish meals be made for him. I believe there's another one from the perspective of a Khorne warrior killing a Slaneesh sorceror and noting that they basically wore no armor and just had the nicest jewelry and finest silks and cathayan perfumes.
The sensation seeking through sex makes perfect sense but there's a lot of people that would probably become Slaneesh cultists because they want to collect funko pops obsessively or whatever and seek ever rarer amiibos

what im saying is if you have hundreds of .pdfs of interesting tabletop rpgs that you totally are gonna play someday on your hard drive you're one hair from falling down that slope

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 19, 2023

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Join a Cult of Slaanesh, we’re running Chuubo’s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If it's the ol' "GM pretends you're running one thing and reveals you're actually playing this other thing," is that Tzenteech?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nessus posted:

If it's the ol' "GM pretends you're running one thing and reveals you're actually playing this other thing," is that Tzenteech?

More like the GM makes such ludicrously over-planned campaigns and then keeps coping to himself that the PCs getting derailed because he off-handedly said the frog was slightly larger than average was actually part of his plan

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nessus posted:

That's Genestealer Cults I think. Not enough wheels within wheels to be Tzeentch.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
A game run by Tzeench is a game where you discover that Powered by the Apocalypse is a literal descriptor.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tzeentch runs a game and the plot and world get increasingly creaky from month to month as he watches a new show or movie and starts wanting to integrate stuff from that into it.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The Tzeenchite runs an entire 20 year long twice weekly campaign, using entirely homebrewed rules, and none of his 18 players are even aware of the game nor have they ever met him.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Actual Tzeentch just points at the most recent season of Critical Role and says "I did that, all according to plan."

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
GM Tzeentch puts together a DnD group and keeps delaying session zero while talking up his homebrew. Six months after he stops all contact you find yourself trying to put together a new group but can't stop mentioning how you found these awesome custom rules and made them even better...

Pakxos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 20, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey it's your boy Tzeentch and I hope you enjoyed this campaign of Forums and Fandoms

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
GM Perturabo invites you to play a game of Dungeons & Dungeons & Dungeons & Dungeons & Dungeons & Dungeons & Dungeons...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Vashtorr the Arkifane invites you to play TTRPGs, but it's an edition that doesn't even exist yet and he invited your three worst enemies to be the rest of the party. Abaddon crashes the first session halfway through, calls you all nerds, and starts a kegger on the spot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Alpharion volunteers to DM the next game but you can never get a season started because all of them claim that they're the one and all of them choose different systems

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

There's a gotrek and felix short story from the 80s that features a group of nobles having fallen into a slaanesh sex cult thing and while the main leader guy is all "yeah bdsm babyee" he's increasingly irritated by one of them who seems to have gone off sex entirely and only seems to care about food, ordering ever larger and more lavish meals be made for him. I believe there's another one from the perspective of a Khorne warrior killing a Slaneesh sorceror and noting that they basically wore no armor and just had the nicest jewelry and finest silks and cathayan perfumes.
The sensation seeking through sex makes perfect sense but there's a lot of people that would probably become Slaneesh cultists because they want to collect funko pops obsessively or whatever and seek ever rarer amiibos

what im saying is if you have hundreds of .pdfs of interesting tabletop rpgs that you totally are gonna play someday on your hard drive you're one hair from falling down that slope

I recall a short story about an imperial noble who gets more and more into gourmet food and then one day he notices one of his ratling chefs get burned in the kitchen...

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall a short story about an imperial noble who gets more and more into gourmet food and then one day he notices one of his ratling chefs get burned in the kitchen...

I think that was in the Tome of Excess supplement for Black Crusade.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

"Aaaah! The flames are sealing in my juices!"

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

The Deleter posted:

The "marines are transhuman/nongender because of monstrous mechanical changes" is a bad headcanon. They're all depicted as lantern-jawed masculine superheroes. Going "they have no gender actually" is working real hard against all their depictions in marketing and lore material. Yes that's all ephemeral and written by some dumpy shithead in Nottingham but it feels like a real weak workaround to the Adeptus Sausagus Partius, who are depicted as having the biggest swingiest dicks ever.

I don't think even gluing on women heads solves this. You need to depict marines as shambling robotic corpse monsters who look like hosed up cyberzombies in walking tanks and GW won't do that because they're cowards. I bet people would buy Zombie Gulliman.

Why?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

because Space Marines should be terrifying, not heroic

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
In more detail, to the end that 40k wants to claim to be satire it shouldn't be showing space marines as idealized versions humanity (any gender). The space marines should be something horrific that has been done, dehumanizing their people for the ends of creating a military force

I would love for lore to be updated to have the lantern-jawed idealized marines being the version that's shown to citizens on posters and movies, while the cyber-zombie is the actual reality, but I'd also like a pony while I'm tossing out wishes.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

"Aaaah! The flames are sealing in my juices!"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/a0c401cc-f137-4065-84b4-bf6cacfca95a

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

says right there in the post, they're cowards.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
space marines should all have signs pointing to them reading "bad"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
space marines should be required to wear black stovepipe hats and have curly mustaches

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
We could also get a lore discussion of how most of the end product of space marine induction is aesthetic and neither combat effective nor as efficient as the equivalent resources being put into just making decent gear for regular troops (thanks Cessna!). That'd be cool.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'd be all up on the cyberzombie thing, given how totally horrific the process of space marine-ification should be if it actually worked as described in the lore.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PharmerBoy posted:

We could also get a lore discussion of how most of the end product of space marine induction is aesthetic and neither combat effective nor as efficient as the equivalent resources being put into just making decent gear for regular troops (thanks Cessna!). That'd be cool.

Yes but have you ever talked about Dungeons and Dragon's colonialism before

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Feels Villeneuve posted:

space marines should all have signs pointing to them reading "bad"

Yeah, they could put, I dunno, skulls on them.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Cessna posted:

Yeah, they could put, I dunno, skulls on them.

"Brother Hansius... are we the baddies?"

PharmerBoy posted:

There's some meta joke about how overgunned and stupid the new marine gear looks is a parallel to the Bradley a la Pentagon Wars, but unfortunately that's not conveyed by the rules. I'd love a marine tank that did every single possible job very badly.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

space marines should be required to wear black stovepipe hats and have curly mustaches

You're just looping back around into making them sound cool again.