Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cat Hatter posted:

I don't think anyone would argue the US has acceptable public transit, but once you've managed to get within 100 feet of where you're going there will probably at least be a curb cut for you to get a wheelchair from the road to the sidewalk and better than average odds you'll be able to get through the front door and use at least one bathroom. Could obviously be better, but somehow still better than many countries.

Then you go into rural Midwest or South and you'll be lucky if your road is paved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK so... what would be better for a corner?

What, even, else, would even be possible for a corner?!?

Just don't have any corners, perfectly spherical kitchen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I put my knife block and a drying rack in the corner of my kitchen. Seems to work well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I put my knife block and a drying rack in the corner of my kitchen. Seems to work well.

Yeah it's a good place for a stand mixer IMO.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Which thread would be the place to post questionable interior design decisions and selection of cabinetry?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Which thread would be the place to post questionable interior design decisions and selection of cabinetry?

Only if it's your own kitchen that you now regret

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shifty Pony posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939

It's mostly just one guy posting zillow listings now, but that's the thread.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

mycomancy posted:

Then you go into rural Midwest or South and you'll be lucky if your road is paved.

Oddly Missouri is good about having even the furthest back road paved.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cat Hatter posted:

How's Japan with accessibility? They practically rebuild half the country every time there's an earthquake, but they can also be remarkably stubborn about some things.

Public infrastructure like train stations will generally have elevators, but you might have to go to the far side of the station to use it, or ask staff to unlock a stairlift.

A lot of old restaurants only have squatter toilets and/or narrow bathrooms.
Sidewalks are absent on small streets, and deep open gutters are common.

Otoh ostomate bathrooms have become common in public areas and new construction often features fully flat interiors.

If you're very tall or very wide, you'll be uncomfortable every day.

I think that one key to a long lifespan is to walk everyday and carry things.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955939

It's mostly just one guy posting zillow listings now, but that's the thread.

There's also this thread if the questionable design decisions are your own and you're looking for feedback: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955916

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK so... what would be better for a corner?

What, even, else, would even be possible for a corner?!?

I don't know that I understand the question. Not putting the sink in a corner? If a sink has to be in the corner, a corner sink makes sense, but at least how it was implemented in the apartment I was in there was just a dead zone triangle behind the faucet that was basically useless space.

Also I'm pretty sure my mother in law has a single basin sink diagonally in a corner, but it's an exterior wall with windows so she has some plants there or something.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

`Nemesis posted:

the us is a land of contrasts so some places have anywhere from awful to fairly good public transit, as per usual sweeping statements are garbage

It is also sort of hilarious that the most comprehensive and robust transit system in the US, the New York City Subway, is also one of the least accessible!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

that chain setup is gonna ruin some sick guitar solo knee slides :mad:

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

that chain setup is gonna ruin some sick guitar solo knee slides :mad:

Knee slide on brick laid sidewalk? My knees hurt just thinking about that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like a great place to sleep on a rainy night.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Darth Brooks posted:

Oddly Missouri is good about having even the furthest back road paved.

Lmao then you have not went deep enough south, my friend. I know hundreds of roads still made of loose white rock in that state, as I grew up there.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

quote:

We paid $3,100 to have our front porch boards replaced and have wooden stairs cover our concrete stairs. This is what we got. Not up to code. He said no permit was required when in fact there was. Spindles not the same size on each side. The wooden stairs don’t come close to the edge of the concrete steps underneath so I’m not even sure how we can cover them to hide them. No risers. Stairs uneven. Balusters held together with horrific brackets instead of using 1 piece of wood which he told us after it would be an additional $600 to change it. Those are just a few. Here are pics to show the “finished” product. Needless to say, we need to have someone come out to try and fix what he did or rip it out and start over again. He refused to fix his mistakes saying he was doing us a favor by charging us $3,100. We had more of a budget and he never once brought anything up about it looking better if we paid more. Not once. We also posted photos showing his work and he deleted them. The last pic shows the concrete pieces he thought would work as a step I guess which I made him change before I finished paying him because it was a safety hazard.

they actually paid after seeing the result :thunk:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

sleepy gary posted:

Those column caps on the 4x4s seem like more work than just buying the length you need, wtf.

Edit: they have those terrible fake shutters, they should just accept this as god punishing them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
that's not even half-assed it's quarter-assed at best.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The lowest bidder strikes again

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

sleepy gary posted:

Lol handymen rule

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm a handyman

How dare you

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm a shadetree mechanic that occasionally needs to fix something on my house and I could have done that better.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
AI created that based on flat pictures of decks and stairs and inferred the rest

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I'm an idiot, but hear me out: wouldn't it be a good idea to prime the new wooden staircase parts before installation? (Or if you are going to lacquer the whole thing, use lumber that doesn't have stamps everywhere or at least sand those off?)

moist turtleneck posted:

AI created that based on flat pictures of decks and stairs and inferred the rest

:hmmyes:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

lol you think this installer was going to put any sort of finish over the bare wood

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

I'm an idiot, but hear me out: wouldn't it be a good idea to prime the new wooden staircase parts before installation? (Or if you are going to lacquer the whole thing, use lumber that doesn't have stamps everywhere or at least sand those off?)

:hmmyes:

Pressure treated from the store is usually way too wet to do anything with for a few months, unless you can find it kiln dried.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

sleepy gary posted:

Somebody buy that guy a level for gently caress sakes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Looks like they did a pretty good job making them line up!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Another one:

Can you ollie a wheelchair?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

kid sinister posted:

Picturing Will Smith interrogating a robot with this question.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

kid sinister posted:

Another one:

i think it would be considered a bunny hop rather than an Ollie

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

My friend spotted his neighbor's carport under construction. He said the crew just looked like the b squad from a distance.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

StormDrain posted:

My friend spotted his neighbor's carport under construction. He said the crew just looked like the b squad from a distance.

Im struggling to find words for this. I just keep going in circles. I can't figure out where to start.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jenkl posted:

Im struggling to find words for this. I just keep going in circles. I can't figure out where to start.

Well if they live in a part of the world where there is never snow or wind or earthquakes, and roofing materials are very lightweight, and nobody ever plans to lean on any of the uprights ... it might be ok?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Really want to see how that brain trust secured the house-side ends of the rafters.

Because I suspect that is now a load-bearing veneer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Shifty Pony posted:

Really want to see how that brain trust secured the house-side ends of the rafters.

Because I suspect that is now a load-bearing veneer.

There seems to be some light colored thing periodic on the house side but I can’t make out what it is.

I’m prepared to assume they put bolts through the brick but not into any structural members :haw: