Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

disgaea rpg managed to recover from its rough launch decently well. it even got a madoka collab. but then it got really mishandled by the western company that picked up the rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

You know, Faenor, I do have one more question. See the boys in the lab, they say Balrogs leave behind shadowy traces from the deep places beneath the earth, but they didn't see anything like that on the boat samples. Now I don't know much about boats but you'd think youd see that instead of all these gasoline scorches on em that they found. You mind helping me figure this one out?

Well Columbo, it's very simple. The balrog must have simply been living deep beneath the earth in an oil well, and some of that oil dripped off when he was burning the boats.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Well Columbo, it's very simple. The balrog must have simply been living deep beneath the earth in an oil well, and some of that oil dripped off when he was burning the boats.

I mean, that would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it. But theres no oil in the undying lands to stick to the Balrogs, what with it being undying and all. Such a puzzle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

disgaea rpg managed to recover from its rough launch decently well. it even got a madoka collab. but then it got really mishandled by the western company that picked up the rights

boltrend super suck lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Barudak posted:

You know, Faenor, I do have one more question. See the boys in the lab, they say Balrogs leave behind shadowy traces from the deep places beneath the earth, but they didn't see anything like that on the boat samples. Now I don't know much about boats but you'd think youd see that instead of all these gasoline scorches on em that they found. You mind helping me figure this one out?

pointy eared patrick mcgoohan looks down, smiles wryly, and starts motioning for an elf cigar

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

She did.

It was a mobile game and died near-instantly.

Appropriate

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Colombobrimor

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre opinions, guys. I snooped around the first few floors of the Palace of the Dead and yeah I can’t do this 100 times, possibly twice!? It’s a shame because I loved the main game so much (my first time playing it). Why is rpgs and srpgs having mind numbing post game grinds a thing?

Also if I loved TO what should I play next? What really drew me in was the story, setting, and how addictive the combat is.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

Thanks for the Tactics Ogre opinions, guys. I snooped around the first few floors of the Palace of the Dead and yeah I can’t do this 100 times, possibly twice!? It’s a shame because I loved the main game so much (my first time playing it). Why is rpgs and srpgs having mind numbing post game grinds a thing?

Also if I loved TO what should I play next? What really drew me in was the story, setting, and how addictive the combat is.

Its a genre were you have to invest a lot of time to both finish it and fully learn the mechanics of a particular game, where even a sequel often won't meaningfully transfer, so if you want more why not give you a lot more.

Now why make it unpleasant? My guess is thats the least closely reviewed part of the game since its only for some picayune portion of your audience anyway and they'll probably still do it and enjoy the hell out of it while someone who wants more sensible content might just play a fresh title.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also it allows them to slap the Over 100 Hours of Content sticker on the back of the box

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nemesis_hub posted:

I never hear anyone talk about the GBA or 64 Ogre games so I say those

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Barudak posted:

Its a genre were you have to invest a lot of time to both finish it and fully learn the mechanics of a particular game, where even a sequel often won't meaningfully transfer, so if you want more why not give you a lot more.

Now why make it unpleasant? My guess is thats the least closely reviewed part of the game since its only for some picayune portion of your audience anyway and they'll probably still do it and enjoy the hell out of it while someone who wants more sensible content might just play a fresh title.

Tbh I feel like in Tactics Ogre’s case Matsuno just loves him some optional jank. Just look at Final Fantasy Tactics’ Deep Dungeon, a series of maps with the gimmick of zero visibility until a unit crystallizes (sometimes) three turns after they die, at which point the map lights up a bit. And you have to stand on a specific tile to progress. And there’s cool items you can find with the Move-Find Item passive, only these items can be The Thing You Actually Want or trash, with the chance relying on your Bravery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would not say that grindiness is a general feature of tactics game, yeah. TO is kind of exceptional in that regard.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

nemesis_hub posted:

Ogre battle 64 and Knights of Lodis were mentioned and are great choices. The latter is kinda a prequel to TO in ways that will be evident but you don't lose anything having played TO first. There's also Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen for SNES which is the first in the series. I'd say Ogre battle 64 is an improvement on the first though. But if you play both, might as well start with the SNES since it takes place before 64 and has some characters return. But it's not make or break to play these games in any particular order.

For non ogre stuff, you can play the first FFT of course if you haven't yet. The first of which is also a Matsuno game so the tone is far closer to ogre battle than final fantasy.

And for recent games you can try Triangle Strategy. The battle system is a little different and doesn't have nearly the same level of customization. But every recruitable character has a unique toolkit and there's some cool things that it does. The voice acting turns a lot of folks off so use the JP voices if that's an issue for you. But other than that it's the closest thing we've had to a new TO game in a long while.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

nemesis_hub posted:

Triangle Strategy! Less character customization but also fewer filler maps and tighter design, imo.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Makai Wars was eventually released as a mobile game (with Asagi as the main character), but it shut down last year.

Makai Wars should have been a Disgaea Musou game. It could have been amazing like that.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nemesis_hub posted:

Knight of Lodis on GBA

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Snooze Cruise posted:

um... columbo is fantasy series? but i never saw an elf once :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb9T679e3Z0

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Let's talk about how nier automata is a terrible game and platnium sucks instead.

I mean it's okay. It's no nier replicant, certainly

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Nier A losing the writer that gave the franchise any real teeth combined with the game being intentionally...smoother and simpler than Platinum's other works and character action in general in an attempt to be approachable made the entire thing feel just kind of okay. It's highs don't really hit as hard the highlights from D1.3.or Nier 1. It felt very much like Yoko playing the hits with not much new to say

Like d1 and 3 have superficially similar endings, but strike at entirely different tones messages and meanings while Nier A kind of hits way too close to nier originals. Which I guess is how the designers felt because they retroactively added a new ending to Nier that pulls it away from the original ending.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 18, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drakengard 3 > nier > nier: a > drakengard 1 imo

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I rather liked the story in nier:a I just thought it was bad to play, to be clear.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it was "fine" but it felt like they wanted to make it accessible for people who like JRPGs for the story but didn't do a good job at it. i wish the game was more where normal difficulty played like an actual CAG and then there was a mode for people who like RPGs but don't like action games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the "new ending" in the nier remaster was also present in the design docs all the way back from the original release, they just had the time and budget to include it for real

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also as someone who just abused the spear in nier i cant really call it "worse" than nier in good conscience

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
NieR: Abuse the Spear

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

God drat, are we so far in future that people pine for the crappy gameplay that was signature of Cavia? Simply not sucking to play put Automata leagues above its predecessors.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i didnt think nier automata was that much better than nier or drakengard 3 honestly. like it was better but the devil may cry comparisons were massively overblown, nier a still isnt a top tier action game or anything

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

drakengard 3 and nier play like mid-tier ps2 action games and nier a plays like a mid tier ps3 action game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the actual worst part is how the effect of hard mode making any given hit deal serious damange meant you were even more incentivized to spam dodge all ove the place

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

God drat, are we so far in future that people pine for the crappy gameplay that was signature of Cavia? Simply not sucking to play put Automata leagues above its predecessors.

Yeah see I think it played like crap. Nier played like crap too but it had the good graces not to pretend it was a DMC game with floaty terrible combat so it was over mostly fast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Didn't Drakengard 3 have a wildly unreliable frame rate?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Didn't Drakengard 3 have a wildly unreliable frame rate?
wildly unreliable as in the experience varies a ton from ps3 revision to ps3 revision and the exact amount of dust your specific ps3 has in it/etc. for some people its unplayable and for some people it barely even dips.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every copy of drakengard 3's fps is personalized

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
odd that it hasn't gotten a re-release. if shadows of the damned is finally escaping from that generation's lockdown surely d3 has the clout for it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its coming right after Bloodborne

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

drakengard 3 > nier > nier: a > drakengard 1 imo

I'd swap d1 and nier A tbh. There's just something raw to it that automata lacks. Not the tone but just aome...spark I miss from the.other games in the franchise coming to Nier:A.

I'd put D3 with dlc infinitely farther ahead than the rest though.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

every copy of drakengard 3's fps is personalized

I wish I had video of it but for me in the first fight against Gabriel their model glitched out, leaving a blocky afterimage as they moved, and to my knowledge no one else has ever had that happen to them.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

same