Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

daslog posted:

I've been watching F1 for decades, and I can't recall a stretch of years when a well funded team like Ferrari constantly shot themselves in the foot over and over like this.

yeah from all the stories I've read this sounds like mid-late 1980s Ferrari all over again. Well funded, well engineered (sometimes), nightmare organization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ferrari haven’t learned the lesson that to be successful you have to have a purge of all the Italians from management.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Ferrari haven’t learned the lesson that to be successful you have to have a purge of all the Italians from management.

I mean, It's only after Todd left they went hardcore bad. Before then they were either at the top or close with every principal but one being Italian. Also AF corse managed to land more wins in the after Todt period with mostly Italian management and staff. It's just that their F1 team is currently acting as a clown magnet.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

daslog posted:

I've been watching F1 for decades, and I can't recall a stretch of years when a well funded team like Ferrari constantly shot themselves in the foot over and over like this.

McLaren in the 00s

They had the best car in 2008 and still almost threw away the championship to Felipe Massa

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Seems like they have too many Italians on the team.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Rhopunzel posted:

McLaren in the 00s

They had the best car in 2008 and still almost threw away the championship to Felipe Massa

mclaren 99 had the best car and almost lost to eddie irvine

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I love Mika Hakkinen but Eddie Irvine winning a WDC would have been way funnier than Mika winning 2 straight

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Alaois posted:

I love Mika Hakkinen but Eddie Irvine winning a WDC would have been way funnier than Mika winning 2 straight

Especially as at that point Michael Schumacher had been there 5 years and not won one.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

he would have gone off piste 13 years early if that happened

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

good or bad for alonso? 3rd on grid might be better than 2nd at this track?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Max could sit in the pitlane playing Mario Kart for the first lap and he'll still win the race.
Why do you think it matters where Alonso starts relative lmao

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Anyone getting pushed out wide at t1 is totally hosed because you're not rejoining without causing a major incident or the entire field passing by. So I suspect he might have preferred P3.

But then yeah after that settling down in P2 hopefully if the Aston has the race pace.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

Khablam posted:

Max could sit in the pitlane playing Mario Kart for the first lap and he'll still win the race.

Because the torpedo is in the row behind him.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

my money is on Lance forgetting there's a turn 1 because he's a dumbo and will get too taken up in the moment of "BY GAWSH IM DRIVING AT HOME" and the entire race will be red flagged by the groundhog race director.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Has Russell predicted any rain for the race?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Quali is dumb, mostly boring and usually skippable to the last minute of each session. Just do a random draw for order, send them out by themselves for 3 laps, done.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

We did have that at one stage but F1 had to overcomplicate it by doing 2 runs and taking an average because of course they did.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Vando posted:

There was less exposure to it thanks to worse TV coverage but pre-1996 Ferrari did a lot of miserable flailing after their last championship.

What you said helps explain it perfectly.

It is never not amusing to me when people expect Ferrari to be this world-class rear end stomping championship machine….when in reality they are historically nothing but flops, with the exception for the Todt/Schumi years, and what they have been doing the past 10+ years is par for the course for them.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

Quali is dumb, mostly boring and usually skippable to the last minute of each session. Just do a random draw for order, send them out by themselves for 3 laps, done.

look at this bozo

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah since F1 became properly "professional" it's only that management team that has really achieved anything with Ferrari.

Before that they won 79 and then finished 10th the next year and Lauda was able to do some stuff. Before that you're basically back to the days where it was them vs basically no-one.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Current qualifying is the least worst we've had.

Every other idea has been done or is just monumentally stupid.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A lot of alternate quali ideas only work if the track and weather are treated as theoretical ideals that never change.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Red Warrior posted:

Current qualifying is the least worst we've had.

Every other idea has been done or is just monumentally stupid.

I don't know, Really3D's Mega Roulette seems worth trying tbh.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

smackfu posted:

A lot of alternate quali ideas only work if the track and weather are treated as theoretical ideals that never change.

The more random qualifying is the better for the sport.

My best idea is the top 10 drivers are allowed to take a 10 place penalty for a 1.2X point boost.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they should steal Super Formula's qualifying where they send out half the cars in the first session, the other half in the second session and then the survivors of both for the third session

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder if that practically works much different than just having Q1 in 20 cars and Q3 with 10 cars and nuking Q2?

I guess it could keep it at an hour of quali.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

smackfu posted:

I wonder if that practically works much different than just having Q1 in 20 cars and Q3 with 10 cars and nuking Q2?

I guess it could keep it at an hour of quali.

it reduces traffic and makes it impossible for teammates to give each other a tow before Q3 since they split up the cars by team in Q1 and Q2

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How do they order the back half of the grid?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bip Roberts posted:

How do they order the back half of the grid?

by their Q1 times I assume

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, there is not much info on the English internet on Super Formula.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Alaois posted:

The other possibility is evens 20-12 reserved for Q1 and odds 19-11 from Q2 and 10-1 from Q3 for instance. Maybe the even/odd determined by head to head time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't that an IndyCar qualifying format? What's wrong with the qualifying now?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ilmucche posted:

the constant bitching about traffic and multiple grid penalties being handed out per race for impeding qualifying runs, mostly

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ilmucche posted:

It puts the fast cars to the front of the grid ruining the GP.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alaois posted:

okay to expand on this i checked the qualifying highlights video for the most recent Super Formula race on their youtube channel and this was the order of the back half of the grid

so its based on what position you were in below the cutoff with the higher time taking precedence (Q1 was ended early because of a crash, which is why some of those times are so off the pace)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
just have everybody write down the best time they think they can get on a slip of paper, no cheating or lying allowed.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Alaois posted:

the constant bitching about traffic and multiple grid penalties being handed out per race for impeding qualifying runs, mostly

what they really need to do imo is just start clamping down properly on drivers going too slow. if you go out on track, you have to drive at a decent pace even on your outlap and cool down lap. none of this slowing down to build gaps and shite. penalise harshly and stamp it out.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

alternatively make them do qualy in spec mx-5's.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Khablam posted:

Aphex- posted:

p2 is the thinking man's p1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I need Norris to win a race. Make quali who can setup a Twitch stream fastest.