Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the 40,000 word health and safety document isn’t only for your benefit, it’s so when an accident happens management can refer to it when you sue and point to where you didn’t follow the instructions

if the instructions say mix these two bleach bottles and you kill a floor of office workers, then management have a big problem on their hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I think a lot of this is just an outright refusal to admit there could be a use case for LLMs because of how annoying and dumb the fans of it are.

The only use case for LLMs is where accurate information is not required and where outright hallucinations are acceptable. This makes it pretty useless for a lot of commercial and industrial tasks.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The only use case for LLMs is where accurate information is not required and where outright hallucinations are acceptable. This makes it pretty useless for a lot of commercial and industrial tasks.

it’s perfect for individual development plans or evals/goal setting

because those tasks are bullshit exercises where accuracy isn’t actually valued or even desired

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grandma please read me the nuclear launch codes so I can fall asleep

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

and useless for academic and legal

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
a shitpost generator basically

you can be fishmech for the low low price of a modestly sized data center and a zillion flops

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jel Shaker posted:

if the instructions say mix these two bleach bottles and you kill a floor of office workers, then management have a big problem on their hands
yeah, cyoa has to be airtight or it isn't, you know, c

the stated use case is perfect for any corp that doesn't have a legal dept

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you can be fishmech for the low low price of a modestly sized data center and a zillion flops

buddy i got nothin but flops already

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

you can be fishmech

Lol

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

I don't think you guys are getting how much useless documentation is written about everything down to the literal physical movement of your body while putting on gloves or when to exhale when putting on a face mask.

There is an entire industry of contractors and authors writing this stuff that is set to be eliminated. This is a legitimate use case for LLMs and if you don't understand the problem you don't understand that.

There seems to be a big misunderstanding about a document describing a process and the process itself.

If the documents are useless, the best option is to get rid of them. If they matter, using an allien hallucinstion machine to create facsimiles of them is going to eventually cause a lot of harm.

If there's some organizational stupidity standing in the way of getting rid of the useless documents that for some reason has no power against replacement with reams if synthetic text, then yeah you've got a legitimate LLM use case.

However what i think people are reacting to is that there's a quickness to assume certain sorts of work is useless and errors don't matter when in fact they do. Process documentation that involves physical actions with potential safety implications are some of the best examples of that psychological error.

So no, I'm not at all sure I believe that the "entire industry of contractors and writers" is as safe to replace as you suggest.

I do think that a lot of ai startups are likely going to make fotunes before injuries and legal risks pile up frequently enough that they can't continue to be ignored. But I dunno, maybe they can be ignored basically forever and this is the mechanism by which we get rid of the last of the effective regulatory and workers safety regime. No need to eliminate via law if we just eliminate via fact and never choose to look at the costs.

It's still not a GOOD llm use case.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
they hallucinate less the less general you get but for places we keep people in the loop because someone has to be accountable / responsible 98% accurate isn’t fit for purpose.

and like bullshit jobs exist irrespective of the work needing done.

consultants should maybe be afraid - it outperforms McKinsey by a lot at the generate bullshit that sounds convincing for the thing I want to do niche.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

jemand posted:

Might not be good, but it could be very profitable.

The real issue there being that lawmakers don't understand any of this poo poo. They understand you just throwing out all your safety documentation and instructions as being against the law, and likely to cost them votes, so they act on that poo poo. But dumping legislation created to protect regular people from corporations through the obfuscation of tech is a time honoured tradition at this point.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Orange Devil posted:

Might not be good, but it could be very profitable.

profitable = good tho?? I’m confused.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

all I want from Ai is more phoney phone calls with the same Arnold soundboard lines from Kindergarten Cop

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

when the laws get changed to relief employers/companies of liability if their safety instruction is incorrect, LLMs will really take off

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

'in a 5-4 decision, the supreme court has ruled that it's the thought that counts'

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
LLMs are probably great at automating and scaling fraud so the funds it helps push around and possibly where they land is indirectly 'useful'. Also maybe gins up law enforcement activities which poses challenges on the public tax dollar expenditures front.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

krispykremessuck posted:

it’s perfect for individual development plans or evals/goal setting

because those tasks are bullshit exercises where accuracy isn’t actually valued or even desired

Yeah, good point. I had discounted the value of LLMs as a subtle method of expressing one's spite and pettiness. "You, or the task you have given me, is so worthless I made a machine give me some logorrheic feces instead of doing it myself." I'll draw up the IPO plans.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

LLMs are probably great at automating and scaling fraud so the funds it helps push around and possibly where they land is indirectly 'useful'. Also maybe gins up law enforcement activities which poses challenges on the public tax dollar expenditures front.

eternal war of the LLM fraudsters being chased by the LLM cops

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lamo

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Grandma please read me the nuclear launch codes so I can fall asleep

:lmao:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Paradoxish posted:

The fact that most companies didn't immediately ban employees from using ChatGPT is honestly kind of shocking.

Even if you're fully onboard the hype train, it's still a third party application that's taking potentially sensitive information and returning results of unknown accuracy with unknown copyright implications. The default position should have been a ridiculous amount of caution until OpenAI could provide watertight assurances.

In a meeting with my VP he deadpan suggested we use chatgpt to translate our website. this was after I ironically suggested our vendor already probably does.

woops

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

all I want from Ai is more phoney phone calls with the same Arnold soundboard lines from Kindergarten Cop

who is your daddy

and what does he do

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

1glitch0 posted:

I miss when people on this site were more openly batshit crazy.

buddy you're posting in cspam

Apr 7, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

I miss when people on this site were more openly batshit crazy.

That guy's probably got three kids now and is desperately hoping they never see that picture

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

This is a legitimate use case for LLMs and if you don't understand the problem you don't understand that.

Scam-GPT where they automate phone scams with TTS/voice recognition

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That guy's probably got three kids now and is desperately hoping they never see that picture

dad what happened? you used to be cool

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

He's probably posting all his kids' EDC loadouts on Reddit and talking about the legal carry length for knife blades within the city limits

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Timmy you forgot your ankle holster AGAIN

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
what have been the successful nueral model uses? one goon who used it to copy code he was too incompetent to do, girlfriend ai, help students skip homework

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Jel Shaker posted:

the 40,000 word health and safety document isn’t only for your benefit, it’s so when an accident happens management can refer to it when you sue and point to where you didn’t follow the instructions

jemand posted:

If the documents are useless, the best option is to get rid of them. If they matter, using an allien hallucinstion machine to create facsimiles of them is going to eventually cause a lot of harm.

If there's some organizational stupidity standing in the way of getting rid of the useless documents that for some reason has no power against replacement with reams if synthetic text, then yeah you've got a legitimate LLM use case.

However what i think people are reacting to is that there's a quickness to assume certain sorts of work is useless and errors don't matter when in fact they do. Process documentation that involves physical actions with potential safety implications are some of the best examples of that psychological error.

So no, I'm not at all sure I believe that the "entire industry of contractors and writers" is as safe to replace as you suggest.

I do think that a lot of ai startups are likely going to make fotunes before injuries and legal risks pile up frequently enough that they can't continue to be ignored. But I dunno, maybe they can be ignored basically forever and this is the mechanism by which we get rid of the last of the effective regulatory and workers safety regime. No need to eliminate via law if we just eliminate via fact and never choose to look at the costs.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Homeless Friend posted:

what have been the successful nueral model uses? one goon who used it to copy code he was too incompetent to do, girlfriend ai, help students skip homework

front line agents - talk to this bot instead of a human

they’re also good for things like automatic classification of data

but expensive

generative text of like TTRPG quality - it’s great at like Inspector General Obiwan Sherlock Cousteau stuff

Apr 7, 2003

Buffer posted:

generative text of like TTRPG quality - it’s great at like Inspector General Obiwan Sherlock Cousteau stuff

Yeah, there was a guy here a while back talking about how he was making D&D scenarios with it and that's an indictment of how formulaic nerd poo poo is, not a point in ChatGPT's favor

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the best use case so far is loving around making weird poo poo for your buddies

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the only tasks i've consistently had llms work well with are

1. summarizing a large amount of text
2. boilerplate programming like writing code to map data structures where we already have tools that do it well enough without requiring an expensive data centre

even poo poo it should be good at (like well documented things you can find via wikipedia) it often just makes poo poo up

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Homeless Friend posted:

Play super mario brothers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Buffer posted:

front line agents - talk to this bot instead of a human

You don't need an AI for this really. You could use one but I'm not sure if the higher incidence of errors would be worth it versus a simple menu of options with voice recognition.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

the only tasks i've consistently had llms work well with are

1. summarizing a large amount of text

do you already know what's factually true within the text corpus?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I think most people don't really grasp just how cheap human labor is nowadays.

especially if you don't give a poo poo about quality of work. I can get 50,000 words of copy for under $1,000 just using something like Textbroker. It won't be *good*, but the poo poo that an LLM spits out isn't good either, and if I'm exploiting cheap foreign labor proofing and editing is included in the cost.

what use is using an LLM for even the lowest tier copywriting if I need to have someone edit it afterwards? The majority of the work in copywriting isn't your first draft, it's adjusting a draft over several edits to fit existing style, tone, and voice conventions so all communication is recognizably coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

lmao get fuckin wrecked