Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Isolationist posted:

Worst season of Alone so far, I reckon. Not really much in the way of construction or positivity, just a bunch of whinging about coldness, the austerity of the environment, and a squeaky Dave Hughes analogue talking about his PTSD.

I've always wanted to see a season set here, but in the hot outback - set it apart a bit, and give the rest of the world a chance to see something different (people flopped spread-eagled in dugouts drinking water during the day, collecting water, chasing Eastern Browns with sticks).
Haven't watched Australia yet but yeah that's what I hear about it.

This new season from Canada is looking pretty good so far. Fishing and hunting opportunities, appropriately lovely weather to make thins interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Doing alone in the outback during summer would be interesting but also boring as gently caress. Weeks of sitting in the shade dreaming about air con.

If you can find water and kill a camel you'll probably be okay.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Forget the Outback, I want to see Alone: Rub’ al Khali.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Apollodorus posted:

Forget the Outback, I want to see Alone: Rub’ al Khali.

Alone: Above Camp IV

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Outrail posted:

Doing alone in the outback during summer would be interesting but also boring as gently caress. Weeks of sitting in the shade dreaming about air con.

Check out what we got instead - outback heat would probably be an improvement (and would at least be different). Find water and kill a camel isn't functionally that different than boil water and kill an ox - but most Australians are relatively heat adapted and it would provide a different limiting factor than any other environment. 100% acknowledge you'd have issues with medical in terms of sunburn and heat exhaustion.

I've wondered if there were competitor selection or editing errors that lead to the end result we got, or if it's entirely down to human factors in the field. One of my favourite parts of Alone has always been the goofballs you got before it turned more professional: the happy dopey Alaska older guy who kept falling over and had a whole bunch of charm (he was trying to win it to give the money to his daughter) for example provided some charisma, charm and humour where all we got was bleak starvation. There may have been construction, humour and positivity filmed that ended up not making the cut in the editors room - it felt like there was no lightness.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

They use winter to end the show. They don't want to deal with like 8 months of production. If they start it near the middle of fall or so, eventually it's winter, and the contestants will all tap out within a couple of weeks of the first snow, it's just which one does it first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah I tried watching a few complete seasons of Alone but it always seemed to end with 'which competitor is going to lose enough bodyweight to be DQed last' which is a lot less fun, and seems like the best strategy would probably be 'bulk up before entering like a hibernsting bear'

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I loved the season in Tassie and how quickly so many people tapped. Gina’s house was dope and Mike build a canoe! The veteran walking us through his PTSD and Gina’s grief were interesting emotional arcs. I guess I haven’t watched a US season in a couple years to compare. Which would y’all say is the best?

The norway/sweden seasons are boring as poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

Yeah I tried watching a few complete seasons of Alone but it always seemed to end with 'which competitor is going to lose enough bodyweight to be DQed last' which is a lot less fun, and seems like the best strategy would probably be 'bulk up before entering like a hibernsting bear'
You'll love season 9 then!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Switchback posted:

I loved the season in Tassie and how quickly so many people tapped. Gina’s house was dope and Mike build a canoe! The veteran walking us through his PTSD and Gina’s grief were interesting emotional arcs. I guess I haven’t watched a US season in a couple years to compare. Which would y’all say is the best?

The norway/sweden seasons are boring as poo poo.

Season 1 is the best followed by season 7 imho. The season 7 winner is just an incredible badass.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tunicate posted:

The Million Dollar Challenge season (S7?) is pretty fun and most of the contestants tapped out on their own -- injury, loneliness, recognizing they couldn't go on. Three of the last four contestants seemed pretty cool (the other one I'm wondering where he was on January 6th).

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Sirotan posted:

Season 1 is the best followed by season 7 imho. The season 7 winner is just an incredible badass.

season 1 was funny when it was like, one dude having deep existential crises and crying a lot and then it'd cut to the other guy just lying around and eating slugs.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
So where might one watch Alone?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

There are nine seasons on Hulu.

Edit: Yep, nine.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 19, 2023

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Hulu has earlier I think Netflix has the last one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

your house all the time

got em

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, agreed. I was super disappointed they picked Tas, it's a slightly less bountiful Vancouver without bears. It should a been the middle of the Nullarbor and good luck.

E: missed a page dammit.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Australian Alone didn't bleep out the swearing which was good.
American Alone is people shooting an arrow, missing, then *bleep*

But yeah the Australia one was pretty dire, Tassie is beautiful but they chose a pretty gnarly region to stick the contestants

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Isolationist posted:

Check out what we got instead - outback heat would probably be an improvement (and would at least be different). Find water and kill a camel isn't functionally that different than boil water and kill an ox - but most Australians are relatively heat adapted and it would provide a different limiting factor than any other environment. 100% acknowledge you'd have issues with medical in terms of sunburn and heat exhaustion.

I feel you're underestimating the risks of heatstroke, which is always round the corner when someone gets heat exhaustion. Without rapid intervention, it's usually fatal (and if not, has severe long term consequences). Since it causes severe cognitive impairment or even coma, victims might not be able to make the call for help.

I'm originally from a desert town which routinely had 45C days in summer. Doesn't matter how heat adapted you are, you simply can't exert yourself in that kind of heat without large amounts of drinkable water and some way to replenish electrolytes (such as salt tablets). If you don't have these things, the only safe thing to do is rest in the shade.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Alone is fun to watch, but the editing can make it predictable. You see someone with family pictures out and talking about home? There's a really good chance they're tapping out in the next few minutes. Occasionally the show changes things up, but the family photo is usually the kiss of death in this show.

We watched the first episode of Alone Australia and jeez that location is brutal. I love the swearing. They leave in the shits and fucks, but I assume they're cutting all the c*nts.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 19, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
At the other end of the scale, a sub that takes rich people to gawk at the Titanic has gone missing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65953872

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Should have confirmed the iceberg was dead before going back.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder how many times it's descended?

I wouldn't trust anything that's made repeated trips to that depth. It's pushing 400 atmospheres that far down.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I know from this thread that diving is one of those things that is way more dangerous than people think, so I feel like it's not hindsight to say that taking a sub down to the Titanic for sightseeing trips is a super duper bad idea.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-visiting-the-most-famous-shipwreck-in-the-world/

This whole operation sounds sketch as gently caress. Or at least way too sketchy to be taking passengers 2 miles down.

quote:

There's no GPS underwater, so the surface ship is supposed to guide the sub to the shipwreck by sending text messages. Rush recalled, "I said, 'Do you know where we are?' '100 meters to the bow, then 470 to the bow. If you are lost, so are we!'"

The submersible is guided to the shipwreck by way of text messaging directions.

But on this dive, communications somehow broke down. The sub never found the wreck.

"We were lost," said Shrenik Baldota. "We were lost for two-and-a-half hours."

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Deptfordx posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-visiting-the-most-famous-shipwreck-in-the-world/

This whole operation sounds sketch as gently caress. Or at least way too sketchy to be taking passengers 2 miles down.

Hmm I wonder if this would've been useful :thunk:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/06/scientists-conduct-first-test-of-a-wireless-cosmic-ray-navigation-system/

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh no, I hope the pilot and support crew make it back

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Outrail posted:

Oh no, I hope the pilot and support crew make it back

Look if they didn't come back up they probably just found out they liked it under the water and decided to live there.

Happens all the time.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Deptfordx posted:

they don't even have a list of who are on the submersible.

they make it sounds like it was a geocities website you just sign up on, lol

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

quote:

Not gonna lie; I was a little nervous, especially given the paperwork, which read, "This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, emotional trauma, or death."

:catstare:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I wonder if some rich idiots in a non-certified submarine have now caused damage to one of the most historic shipwrecks because international waters means free market and no rules, suckers!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
they can't even answer if it has a transponder or not. unless i missed that info.

"why not make the sub out of the black box?"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Given they were navigating via text message I would guess they didn't have a transponder

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ilmucche posted:

I wonder if some rich idiots in a non-certified submarine have now caused damage to one of the most historic shipwrecks because international waters means free market and no rules, suckers!

I doubt that a minivan made with parts from the plumbing aisle can do much damage to fifty thousand tonnes of steel that already fell four kilometres.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

"lol wheres the boat dude?? txt back asap x"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Apparently they lost contact with the sub yesterday 1h:45m's into the dive.

I'm assuming they're all dead and the operators have spent the time working up the nerve to announce that between sessions on the satphone talking to their lawyers about the best way of minimising their liability.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Pretty sure the owner of the company is onboard too

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Even if it had a transponder, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference since I doubt there are any rescue subs that could get down to it in time (if any exist in the first place). I saw one article saying it's supposed to automatically surface if something goes wrong, but I'm guessing that didn't happen (and a transponder would help if it actually did surface).

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Went for the Titantic Experience, got the Kursk Experience instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We don't actually know for sure that the sub got lost while submerged, it could also just be like, lost on the surface. Maybe it surfaced and then hit an iceberg? The Titanic as a symbol of mankind's hubris seems to have escaped the folks taking tourists down to 4000 meters below sea level in a handmade uncertified submarine.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/titanic-submarine-missing-rescue-mission-underway-newfoundland-canada/

quote:

OceanGate's submersible, The Titan, is the only five-person sub in the world capable of reaching the Titanic wreck, which sits 2.4 miles below the sea surface. CBS News "Sunday Mornings" correspondent David Pogue joined the crew of the vessel, along with a small group of intrepid tourists, for a journey to see the world's most famous shipwreck last year.

As he got situated in the vessel, which he said had about as much room inside as a minivan, Pogue said he "couldn't help noticing how many pieces of this sub seemed improvised, with off-the-shelf components," including a video game controller that was used to pilot the sub.

A video game controller. Yes. That is surely good for mission-critical equipment that lives depend on.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 19, 2023