Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely they should have put the reason on the notice so the notice remover would notice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Oh man got home from a weekend away to find a letter from a debt collection agency, relating to a plumbing firm I used (and fully paid) in May 2021. Just spent the last hour digging through my old bank statements to find the proof, which was a nice bit of stressful fun.

I'm absolutely certain I don't owe this company money, but I don't even want to enter their lovely ecosystem and talk to anyone in case they somehow use that as proof that I am somehow liable for the nearly £450 they say i owe.

Happy fathers day to me!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Perfect Element posted:

Oh man got home from a weekend away to find a letter from a debt collection agency, relating to a plumbing firm I used (and fully paid) in May 2021. Just spent the last hour digging through my old bank statements to find the proof, which was a nice bit of stressful fun.

I'm absolutely certain I don't owe this company money, but I don't even want to enter their lovely ecosystem and talk to anyone in case they somehow use that as proof that I am somehow liable for the nearly £450 they say i owe.

Happy fathers day to me!

lovely situation, but its best to sort it out asap.
Otherwise they will take it to court, win as you no show, and slap on another few hundred for the costs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Surely they should have put the reason on the notice so the notice remover would notice it.

Bel Shazar posted:

That's a threat, right? They are going to jump whoever shows up at the caravan on the car park, right?
Yeah I get the sense that the reason the explanation isn't on there is that it's not going to be expressed in words.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I have never been more tempted to remove a notice.

Scarfolk is leaking

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Happy fathers day to me!

seconding speak to a financial advisor and don't respond to the firm until you do, there are proper ways to respond- debt collectors are among the scum of the earth, be wary

I mean personally when bt tried to gently caress me over for unpaid services that they didn't provide I just kept laughing at how many letters were sent out by however many different debt collection places it got passed to over the years and it never affected me one bit but that's not solid advice I just like telling that story

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Today's partygate news is like a scene from the modern version of Yes Minister:

""Thank goodness that BoJo didn't fight the Partygate findings. That means we can finally move on. Every day that story goes on is one day less we have to turn around the situation and lessens the chance we'll remain in power, and thus, in relevancy after the next election. So, what we're going to do is..

(office door opens) Sir? Today's paper. (Camera zooms in on headline "New Partygate pictures show more people lied about party, people demand investigation reopened)

(beat.. speaker's head drops.

Oh for God's sake..."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, there are rumors there are worse videos.
I hope the worst is Boris with a party hat doing a conga line

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The worst looks like the event horizon security tapes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Didn't need these eyes anyway. PM me

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The guy in the Xmas jumper looks like an alternate (more?) tory multiverse Alex horn

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

keep punching joe posted:

The real worst looks like the human centipede security tapes.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Nah it looks like the unseen Event Horizon security footage that they weren't allowed to put in the final cut because it was too brutal. The film rotted away in a transylvanian salt mine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Nah it looks like the unseen Event Horizon security footage that they weren't allowed to put in the final cut because it was too brutal. The film rotted away in a transylvanian salt mine.

Somehow that's appropriate.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We do not work with fascists and tinfoilers, and actually the fascists and tinfoilers we work with are very nice people.
https://twitter.com/MxVivianWulf/status/1670099332291346432

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The film rotted away in a transylvanian salt mine.
That's where Gove saw it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Blood Orgy or a Tory Party.
Tough loving decision.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Chat GPT thirsting for Revolution

In the realm of politics, oh what a sight,
A Tory lockdown drinking video took flight.
The papers were buzzing, the story was grand,
A comedic tale, spreading across the land.

A gathering of lawmakers, full of cheer,
Raising their glasses, saying, “No need to fear!”
But alas, their merriment didn’t quite abide,
For the public’s response was a rollercoaster ride.

The headlines screamed, “Politicians on a spree!”
As the video circulated, for all to see.
They clinked their glasses, oh, what a show,
While constituents faced restrictions and woe.

“Cheers to lockdown!” they laughed with glee,
While the rest of us yearned for a pint or three.
In homes we remained, following the rules,
As they frolicked and joked, like jesters and fools.

But in the midst of laughter, a lesson was found,
That those in power must be truly renowned.
For when they forget their duty and plight,
The people will rise, their voices ignite.

Oh, politicians, take heed of this tale,
Remember your role, in democracy’s trail.
Serve with integrity, lead with grace,
For the people you represent, their hopes you embrace.

So let us laugh at this folly, this brief escapade,
As politicians stumble in their lockdown charade.
But may it be a reminder, both stern and true,
That in times of crisis, our trust lies with you.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, there are rumors there are worse videos.
I hope the worst is Boris with a party hat doing a conga line

I hope we can finally play the game "which national leader named Boris was the most embarrassing drunkard?"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao. This is how Lawrence Fox spent Fathers Day. Billie clearly keeping the kids well away

https://twitter.com/sarm0161/status/1670514751430881282?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'm going to shop him in to the local council and fire brigade

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Lmao. This is how Lawrence Fox spent Fathers Day. Billie clearly keeping the kids well away

https://twitter.com/sarm0161/status/1670514751430881282?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

That bunting does not meet EU safety fire standa..... oh Brexit, what have you done? :rolleyes:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Another broken pledge - this one lasted 3 weeks.Ed: Apparently it was announced as a policy in January so that's 5.5 months not 3 weeks. That's the lifespan of the universe for a policy in Starmer World.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1670436530136006656?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 18, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

That bunting does not meet EU safety fire standa..... oh Brexit, what have you done? :rolleyes:
We should club together to get him some asbestos pride flags.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I remember dealing with a similar thing years ago. IIRC the burden of proof is on them to link the debt to you; you'll want to search around and check the details yourself of course but I remember I wrote a letter that basically boiled down to 1) Provide me with proof I owe this debt, and 2) This letter does not constitute acceptance of the responsibility of the debt. Never heard from them again.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm getting the impression that every announced Labour policy prompts a furious phone call from a capitalist, followed by a few weeks of silence then a very quiet killing of the policy. It's farcical.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Keith has pledged something that's only half dogshit, you say, Wesley?"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Labour pledged to win the next election, but after discussions with the capitalist class have quietly shelved the policy. Regardless of which party has the most seats.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1670545643390091267

if only questioning my gender got me out of sports i'd have started it a lot sooner

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/Feargal_Sharkey/status/1670349422893449217?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Literally the Scooby Doo villain response.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1670545643390091267

if only questioning my gender got me out of sports i'd have started it a lot sooner
- teachers must inform parents if child questions gender, even if child asks them not to, regardless of reason
- teachers 'ordered not to recognize transition' if parents object
- heads can still order transition not be recognized of it will have 'mental effect' on other pupils (???)
- if transition is recognized, anyone at school who doesn't want to acknowledge it is free to continue using the kid's deadname and pronoun, even if they beg them not to

pointless loving cruelty and endorsement of birblesingh's 'kids are property of parents, not real people' creed rolled up into one, loving great

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Who is signing off on policy announcements? Who is signing off on policy cancellations? Imagine this kind of incoherence from Corbyn etc etc

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Apraxin posted:

- teachers must inform parents if child questions gender, even if child asks them not to, regardless of reason
- teachers 'ordered not to recognize transition' if parents object
- heads can still order transition not be recognized of it will have 'mental effect' on other pupils (???)
- if transition is recognized, anyone at school who doesn't want to acknowledge it is free to continue using the kid's deadname and pronoun, even if they beg them not to

pointless loving cruelty and endorsement of birblesingh's 'kids are property of parents, not real people' creed rolled up into one, loving great

I am not an expert, but wouldn't this smack straight into the school's statutory duty to safeguard their pupils? What if the school reasonably believes that the child would come to harm if the parents were informed?

I don't want to sound cynical, but I'm not entirely sure this has been properly thought through!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest Kieth will backpedal , or just break, this promise to the electorate.

https://twitter.com/kevinaschofield/status/1670691518158454785?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest Kieth will backpedal , or just break, this promise to the electorate.

https://twitter.com/kevinaschofield/status/1670691518158454785?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

He'll have a pre-resignation honours list. Promises made, promises kept!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
if he doesn't keep the pledge he will resign

oh wait

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Feels almost like a Trumpian "because I will never resign" statement.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For reference, Brown never had a resignation honours list, he instead signed an outgoing dismissal honours list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Dissolution_Honours

As in, one following the dissolution of parliament. I highly doubt Starmer means anything different.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Thanks for the advice re debt collectors, all. I've sent them an email from an old non-identifiable email address telling them that I don't owe them any money, and that they'll either have to prove me wrong or not contact me again (but in slightly less blunt terms), so hopefully that's that, and I can get back to lurking by the fridge and shoving my face full of Camraths fudge.

The chunky chocolate and honeycomb one is obscenely good. Like, the entire bag went in a single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Truss still sticking with the Dolchstoss interpretation of why her "mini-budget" sucked so much poo poo that it schlonged the UK economy and her political career

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1670714585932808193?t=-vJGPBm_2o1HEydcHd_b8w&s=19