Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Otoh theyr making a good go of loving it, otoh always bet on what would most own the UK left

It's Kier Starmer wafting into power. Doing labour authoritarianism 2.0 and handing the still declining country back to the tories 10 years later but now with negative hour contracts and bomb collars asbos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

10 years after that Rebecca Long Bailey with an eyepatch is absolutely trounced at the general by Sextus Invictus Mogg
to the wailing of UK goons again

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Keith won't win two elections and whoever replaces him will be equally terrible and unpopular so it'll be back to Tories after 5 at most.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
labour shouldnt have voted sir keith into power imo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why did they switch to elections after 5 years

seems to undermine the government if a lame duck parliament is on power for so long

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i'm dubious about starmer winning one election, but he might do it thanks to tory voters staying home because they can't stand to vote for someone who isn't white

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

euphronius posted:

seems to undermine the government if a lame duck parliament is on power for so long

Shockingly the gov wanted as long as possible in power

But they also reserve the right to just undo it at any moment if that's convenient too

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

namesake posted:

Keith won't win two elections and whoever replaces him will be equally terrible and unpopular so it'll be back to Tories after 5 at most.

The thing is if he wins one election the tories are likely gonna fall apart so loving fast coz the tories big strength is they hold together unusually tightly in power but they go insane in opposition
coz being in government makes you feel good but almost all of them could have better jobs than opposition mp

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Deflating the public's expectations and then only just winning in a very close run thing; is perfect for them. They then get to say they don't have the mandate to do anything radical like fix something, or even do anything, anything at all. That's their dream.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

mila kunis posted:

wwhat are the current betting odds on labour loving up the next election, asking for a friend

200%

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

boris might have to split the tory party to stay relevant now he’s hosed his chance at the speaking circuit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t he going to be president of NATO ?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

love when you ask a politician something and they say “well I’ve been talking to google all morning!”

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s all complete lies about AI too, all this guff about ai being super accurate in diagnosing cancers is complete vapourware trying to get around the problem that the nhs is belatedly buying new scanners but hasn’t got anyone to staff them anymore

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s all complete lies about AI too, all this guff about ai being super accurate in diagnosing cancers is complete vapourware trying to get around the problem that the nhs is belatedly buying new scanners but hasn’t got anyone to staff them anymore

but then if you fixed it how would you upsell people on private healthcare

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1670547728613638145

so keith is going to "throw everything" at the problem, which given his extremely inspiring track records of maintaining the status quo, should be entertaining to watch

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1670436530136006656?s=20

where's that expanding :thunk: when you need it

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
When Keir saw the breadth of his manifesto he wept, for there were no more pledges to abandon

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

can the UK even have a lame duck government? they might be unpopular at the moment but they have a majority and have 18 months to do whatever they want

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why does he keep doing that?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i say swears online posted:

can the UK even have a lame duck government? they might be unpopular at the moment but they have a majority and have 18 months to do whatever they want
during which time they might manage to not gently caress up long enough to regain their lead. the concept doesn't really make sense outside systems where there are hard term limits.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Communist Thoughts posted:

The thing is if he wins one election the tories are likely gonna fall apart so loving fast coz the tories big strength is they hold together unusually tightly in power but they go insane in opposition
coz being in government makes you feel good but almost all of them could have better jobs than opposition mp

Its entirely possible that Starmer succeeds in his general mission of making Labour the party of the establishment and the natural governing party and so corruption and inertia keeps them in power regardless of their actual actions in government but no matter how crazy the Tories become it's very easy for the zeitgeist to become about how Labour are even worse and need to gotten rid of before they bankrupt the country or force everyone to become gay and trans.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it's amazing that labour is actively losing the next election after all that's happened with Brexit. if I were in the uk (lol) there's no loving way I'd vote for labour at this point.

it's so bad it makes me think "drat, the dems look sorta competent in comparison", even though I know they aren't and are ratfucking us in different but similar ways

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the sex ghost posted:

When Keir saw the breadth of his manifesto he wept, for there were no more pledges to abandon

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ex post facho posted:

it's amazing that labour is actively losing the next election after all that's happened with Brexit. if I were in the uk (lol) there's no loving way I'd vote for labour at this point.

it's so bad it makes me think "drat, the dems look sorta competent in comparison", even though I know they aren't and are ratfucking us in different but similar ways

They're ahead in the polls but

A) they're actively destroying their lead by abandoning all policies a few weeks after announcing them so no one knows what they want to do or trusts them
B) Sunak is completely invisible which is helping the Tories as people feel okay saying they're a Tory again
C) Without Scotland it's really hard for them to get a majority unless loads of odd seats in England go to them

It seems like they'll end up in a minority government position which is possibly the best likely outcome but means more chaos.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

theyr all just obsessed with planting trees (coz that's what people like the idea of) that they only give a poo poo about for 1/5th the time required to actually absorb the amount of carbon supposedly offset.
Plus even then you're emitting the carbon now and only offsetting it after 50 years

No-one has a plan for sequestering the trees lmao

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Social safety net: zero

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.politico.eu/article/liz-truss-says-being-compared-to-a-lettuce-was-not-funny/

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

the sex ghost posted:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i didn't find it funny at the time, but i do now that i know it bothered her

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

10 years after that Rebecca Long Bailey with an eyepatch is absolutely trounced at the general by Sextus Invictus Mogg
to the wailing of UK goons again

Her real name is Rebecca Baaaaaaaiiiiiiillllllyy

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

A bargain for the prize of being able to leave Luton

I once returned to the UK via Luton airport and the screens, that in a normal airport would display arrivals/departures/luggage info, were instead displaying ads for bangers and mash

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

kyojin posted:

No-one has a plan for sequestering the trees lmao

Can't you just bury them?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

Can't you just bury them?

Sure but you run out of old coal mines pretty quickly and then you're in the business of moving huge quantities of earth up and down without generating further emissions oops all slaves

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You can just build a giant massive wooden structure out in the open, and coat the outside of it so it'll last for hundreds of years. No need to actually bury anything.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

Yeah probably, my criticism is that you've now got a more developed plan than Keith does

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Shoot the trees into space

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

kyojin posted:

Sure but you run out of old coal mines pretty quickly and then you're in the business of moving huge quantities of earth up and down without generating further emissions oops all slaves

I figured you could just dump them in old strip mines and bulldoze over some dirt.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Zeroisanumber posted:

I figured you could just dump them in old strip mines and bulldoze over some dirt.

they will decay and the bulldozer will make more co2 than the trees could have potentially removed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Ardennes posted:

Also, the underground/overground has a severe zoning system, so living out in the sticks often doesn't save as much as one would expect. A zone 1-9 monthly pass is over 400 pound a month.

400 pound a month for a train pass? Is that like the super fancy one that lets you take unlimited bullet train trips all over the country?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A Buttery Pastry posted:

was russia offering a peace deal ukraine was considering?

this was ages ago, and i already posted the fiona hill quote about it, but putin just pulled out the signed document (thread)

https://twitter.com/onlydjole/status/1670141702797967361?s=20