Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Rumor from SoBadStrange has it that DaD is coming back tomorrow... I think it's copium, but this video dropping gives me a little hope. At least we don't have too long of a wait to find out.

Quoting for top of the page content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Edit=/=Reply dammit

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
SoBad is like, super confident about it releasing. To the point he is going to bed early to wake up on time. I asked him how he is "unofficially confirming it" and he said he can't, but said is a part of their insider program and that's all he can really get into.

His confidence has me actually believing it will be releasing, but absolutely 0 other people are confirming it. At this point he's either gotta actually know something or is gonna irreparably tarnish his reputation for this kind of stuff. He actually has a good reputation in not just the DaD community, but the broader streamer community.

So I think it's actually coming out later today (6/19). Probably around noon EST.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Let's freakin' gooooo. I just grew another arm to cross more fingers.

SBS just dropped this too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwSbZj7HmE4

new stuff: luck potion for better drops, staff shows Warlock in usable classes. Also contains some theory crafting over the 6, 14 and 21 in the players names: playtest 4 came out on the 6th, 5 was on the 14th, so maybe it's coming out on the 21st?

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 19, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I definitely think they’re releasing these videos to tease something that’s happening soon. Whether EA gets released today I have no idea. I’m not planning on it personally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The power of positive thinking prevails once again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIyibFd6WaA

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So Bad Strange is yelling 1 more hour in the discord, either the guy is a madman possibly hurting his reputation doing this for views or about to ascent to sainthood

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea he's getting pretty roasted over it, and deservedly so. He even said he was an insider and could confirm it, even though he wasn't allowed to. He's clearly just farming for clicks.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Lol and also LMAO.

TBH I'm surprised this community isn't trolled daily given how much hype there is, I suppose I'll be grateful for that.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Yea he's getting pretty roasted over it, and deservedly so. He even said he was an insider and could confirm it, even though he wasn't allowed to. He's clearly just farming for clicks.

So what was his excuse?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's real to me dammit.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
not sure why he went with today, he could have definitely hyped the 21st and had a few days of extra clicks and attention. blew his load way too early

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Umbreon posted:

So what was his excuse?

About it not coming out? You name it. He's just all over the place coping.

Him saying he was an insider and could confirm it, even though he wasn't allowed to, was the only reason I believed it. He was so confident.

His current excuse it that it still could come out in 30 minutes or that it could come out the 21st or that the information was possibly pointing to July 19th or July 21st instead.

Yea he's off his meds or something.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
It's out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

About it not coming out? You name it. He's just all over the place coping.

Him saying he was an insider and could confirm it, even though he wasn't allowed to, was the only reason I believed it. He was so confident.

His current excuse it that it still could come out in 30 minutes or that it could come out the 21st or that the information was possibly pointing to July 19th or July 21st instead.

Yea he's off his meds or something.

Who can blame the man.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
He's been on a 'It's coming out soon!!!', so I just assume he doesn't understand the realities of being sued. Or the game being nowhere near ready for release. I think he saw the video and thought that was all the verification that there was gonna be another beta test now or something. But it would have been an extremely bold move to try and release something just after you asked for and been granted an extension on filing in the lawsuit you're a defendant in.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

21st or it'll be a month at least.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's gonna be so funny if this poo poo comes out after I've already gone through all seven stages of grief like twice over

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

DaD addicts, Starsiege Deadzone is free to play this week. It's basically DaD but shootmans based on Starsiege games but with some interesting tweaks. Tried it last night, mostly got clowned on but managed to escape once and kill 2 people.

I would give it a try if you like DaD and shootmans.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Can confirm Deadzone is a solid B rated game that is fun to play with friends and can tickle some (but def not all) parts of a person's DAD addiction

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait like Starsiege the mech games and OG Tribes IP or Starsiege the impossibly terrible ARPG?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Yeah because man I am an absolutely massive Starsiege fan and will be all over that poo poo if it's the right Starsiege. Just look at my av!

Holy poo poo I looked it up, it IS the good starsiege! loving hell yes! Shootin' cybrids, yes!

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yes the game has some kind of connection to the old Tribes / Starsiege games but it's not clear at all, basically no story at all in the Starsiege alpha. They are (supposedly) making a trio of shooters, one of which is the extraction-style game we're playing rn, but one is (supposedly) going to be a large scale CTF team game like old school tribes and if/when that happens I will be all over that poo poo lol. Tribes 2 is the very first online shooter game I ever played

In general it's nice to see something outside the generic shooter sludge catch out. I don't even like Tarkov but man has it been a bummer watching Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo and other franchises just morph into each other and slowly die

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Why play dark and darker when you can just play dark?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2413960/Dark/

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
so apparently Nexon's emergency injunction today was denied in Korea, which sounds good for Dark and Darker and Ironmace. From what I read (translated from Korean) is that Nexon's lawyer's admitted that their timeline submitted doesn't add up, and that P3 was actually cancelled and not suspended like they claim, thus causing the staff departures and the start of IM. The court asked for 30 days to review, so that sets up the next court date in the US as July 17th (I think) and the next Korean one on the 21st. If both are thrown out I have a feeling we will get EA soon after.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

so apparently Nexon's emergency injunction today was denied in Korea, which sounds good for Dark and Darker and Ironmace. From what I read (translated from Korean) is that Nexon's lawyer's admitted that their timeline submitted doesn't add up, and that P3 was actually cancelled and not suspended like they claim, thus causing the staff departures and the start of IM. The court asked for 30 days to review, so that sets up the next court date in the US as July 17th (I think) and the next Korean one on the 21st. If both are thrown out I have a feeling we will get EA soon after.

Where'd you read that? Because that doesn't actually jive with the timeline of real life, where P3 was officially announced in August after the dude was fired (and IIRC took the staff with him). If it was cancelled before they left, then why would they announce it after?

It's more likely that the emergency injunction was denied because Ironmace was not attempting to monetize the game itself and the court didn't see the coffee sale as a big enough deal to require an injunction. Also, no beta test going on. So no real reason to put in an emergency injunction.

So likely there can't be a preliminary injunction until Ironmace attempts another beta or the EA release.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 22, 2023

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.news1.kr/articles/?5084361

quote:

Nexon and Iron Mace, the developer of 'Dark and Darker', could not narrow their differences until the last interrogation date regarding trade secret and copyright infringement lawsuits. The court actively listened to the opinions of each company, such as submitting laptops containing 'Project P3' and 'Dark and Darker' games.

On the last interrogation date, Nexon said that the 'Dark and Darker' service should be stopped as soon as possible, and conducted an intensive PT related to the need for preservation (procedures emphasizing the need for provisional seizure and provisional disposition).

On the 21st, the 31st Civil Division of the Suwon District Law held an interrogation date for a provisional injunction, such as the prohibition of infringement of trade secrets and copyrights, filed by Nexon Korea against Iron Mace and two others this afternoon.

Officials from Nexon and Iron Mace attended the event. About 10 lawyers, Nexon's 'Project P3' developer, and Iron Mace's 'Dark and Darker' developer visited the court.

On this day, the arguments of both sides were sharply opposed. Nexon insisted that a provisional injunction be made quickly as the effect of preempting the market would be enormous if 'Dark and Darker' was released, while Iron Mace argued that it was not appropriate to apply for a provisional injunction for a game that could not be completed and released by Nexon.

During the defense process, Nexon cited 'Dave the Diver', which is scheduled to be released by Nexon, as an example.

Nexon worked on the 'Dave the Diver' project from 2017 to 2019, but stopped development according to the decision to disband the team and discontinue itself. Afterwards, the person concerned was reassigned as the team leader of the project, resumed development, and is set to officially launch in June.

Nexon's lawyer said, "After the development was stopped, the result was preserved, and then the result was reused to develop the game." Regardless of whether it is released or not, it is an asset of Nexon, and if the game is released elsewhere, the opportunity to utilize its achievements is lost.”

He continued, "If a person who intentionally quits during game development is allowed to use the results as they are in the game development process, no one will proceed with a new project." "There is no point in restoring this, so I beg you to make a decision on a provisional injunction quickly," he added.

Iron Mace refuted that Nexon did not have the capacity to complete and release 'Project P3'. I saw that Nexon had 'abandoned' the development of the P3, predicting the possibility of box office as low. After Nexon filed the lawsuit, it was left unattended for two years, and even after that, it claimed that it did not make efforts to guarantee urgent rights.

Iron Mace's lawyer said, "Nexon gave up development without knowing the success of P3, and filed a lawsuit two years ago to preserve money, not an injunction seeking a service ban." It is not reasonable to apply for a provisional injunction based on a game that they have not been able to complete and release.”

Nexon said, "In the past, we thought it was a personal deviation/criminal and applied for a provisional seizure, but we couldn't imagine that a person who was disciplined by the company would do this." retorted.

The court decided to have a hearing period of about four weeks to review each claim. This is because the materials submitted by each company exceed 5,000 pages in addition to the ongoing lawsuit.

Meanwhile, Nexon earlier filed a police investigation and complaint against Iron Mace, the developer of 'Dark and Darker', on suspicion of taking out unreleased projects without permission around February.

Dark & ​​Darker has emerged as a highly anticipated work on the game platform 'Steam' by collecting 100,000 concurrent users worldwide, which is unusual for a game from a domestic indie game company. Iron Mace was scheduled to go through Early Access for Dark & ​​Darker in April and officially launch in the fourth quarter.

Nexon is known to claim that some of the developers of Iron Mace leaked the data of the unreleased game 'Project P3' that they were in charge of when they left Nexon's new development headquarters and created Dark & ​​Darker.

I don't know if my post above matches all this, but I'd have to imagine them NOT granting the injunction is good for the game as they can keep developing it for another month

edit: actually reading it again we really learn nothing we haven't known already, lol

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 22, 2023

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

https://www.news1.kr/articles/?5084361

I don't know if my post above matches all this, but I'd have to imagine them NOT granting the injunction is good for the game as they can keep developing it for another month

edit: actually reading it again we really learn nothing we haven't known already, lol

Yeah that’s we already know.

They do keep to get developing it for another month but they won’t be able to capitalize on it until the court case is over, and if they do try to then that’s when an injunction will be slapped on. Developing a game itself is not a crime, even if you use stolen assets. It’s actually trying to release it that will be the issue. So while it’s good for Ironmace, it doesn’t really say anything beyond that IM has been wise enough not to start EA while the court case goes on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't really like the implication that Nexon is going for where a company can sit on an idea for as long as they want after development is stopped because they might change their mind later.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

dogstile posted:

I don't really like the implication that Nexon is going for where a company can sit on an idea for as long as they want after development is stopped because they might change their mind later.

It's not the idea that matters, but the expression of the idea. Nobody's really provided any proof that P3 was cancelled and development fully stopped, just that they were uhh having trouble with development after the dev team jumped ship. It's the whole nuance that the development stopped because the dev team took the idea and its expression and ran to a rival company that is important to the story.

Since the implication that Ironmace is going for is that poaching dev teams to steal another company's work is fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was the morally right decision Nexon would've made it a microtransaction hell if they'd actually done it (they're lying).

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
i'm too high, I thought the IM lawyer's stuff was a response from the court, disregard plz

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/67193019/30/nexon-korea-corporation-v-ironmace-co-ltd/

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 22, 2023

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Thank you whatever nerd mentioned the Starsiege game.
It's perfectly silly.
Always spinfusor all the time I don't care that it's crap against players.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was the morally right decision Nexon would've made it a microtransaction hell if they'd actually done it (they're lying).

The company they had doing P3's entire thing was that they did free to play stuff without microtransaction hell.

Though IM might not be immune to it either, considering they've decided that Dark And Darker isn't going to be free to play.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Starsiege is back in another playtest, those of you that played it (you should, it's silly and enjoyable)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2170420/Starsiege_Deadzone/

If you 'request access' to the alpha it will give it to you immediately.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
new video from the devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4S6_fqAMmE

barbarian#24 hmmmmmmm

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Oh man that map does look cool as gently caress. The lightning is a little weird and the textures seem kinda glossy, but it has a cool aesthetic.

Oh well.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Lol that Onepeg got a lot of people hyped that IM had won the court case in Korea, even though his touted 'huge court win' was that the judge decided they needed a month to look through all of the evidence for the preliminary injunction.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjXz_VCxog&t=4s

NEW WARLOCK VIDEO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thhwMuYVS6Y

NEW VIDEO