Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Pvt. Parts posted:

Sorry but this take just isn't it. Accessibility is way more important than any kind of transparency. If computers are "breaking" (ie not being as useful as they could be for a user because of legacy design choices or otherwise) then that's a system design problem, not a tardi user problem.

How are they not as useful? People get by just fine without needing to know folder structure or not to delete important system files. I don't see how that's an accessibility issue.

[edit: apparently I misread, disregard]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pvt. Parts posted:

Sorry but this take just isn't it. Accessibility is way more important than any kind of transparency. If computers are "breaking" (ie not being as useful as they could be for a user because of legacy design choices or otherwise) then that's a system design problem, not a tardi user problem.

Yes I am not literally saying it is better for computers to break, you are right that computers overall, should not break. I feel like this is one of those SA situations where you're going out of your way to misread someone.

I wasn't saying anything about accessibility or that we should all go back to Windows 9x because it crashes more, but that with computers getting more reliable and user friendly, with less control for the user, an unintended side effect is it has contributed to people learning less just from normal computer use.

Should computers break? No. Does it help with accessibility? Probably. But that's not related at all to what I was talking about.

Though if you look at the recent history of Windows I don't think many of the changes were motivated by or contribute to accessibility all that much.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

BrainDance posted:

Yes I am not literally saying it is better for computers to break, you are right that computers overall, should not break. I feel like this is one of those SA situations where you're going out of your way to misread someone.

I wasn't saying anything about accessibility or that we should all go back to Windows 9x because it crashes more, but that with computers getting more reliable and user friendly, with less control for the user, an unintended side effect is it has contributed to people learning less just from normal computer use.

Should computers break? No. Does it help with accessibility? Probably. But that's not related at all to what I was talking about.

Though if you look at the recent history of Windows I don't think many of the changes were motivated by or contribute to accessibility all that much.

You said that it's a problem that modern users who didn't have to deal with concepts like file systems get easily lost in the sauce and can lose a saved file, etc. I suppose I read-in too much of a finger-pointing at these users but in the context of you talking about how us young Millenials who grew up with these primitive computing concepts fully exposed to us have no issues, I think that's a reasonable message to take home.

Either way, it's the "sauce" that is indeed the real problem. The tech world is by far the most frustrating place to see stagnation and design rot because it is also the most cutting edge place where these things can and should be reviewed and iterated upon and improved. Staggered QWERTY keyboard layouts are based in preventing mechanical failures which are long gone. C drive is not A or B because those were reserved for floppy disks. All I'm saying is that the modern user deserves nothing but sympathy for not being grandfathered into all the random extremely outdated design choices we cling on to. Thank god for iPhones.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BrainDance posted:

I think some of this is just a failure of education, partly due to a lack of vision in the increasingly corporatized realm of American education, partly because it has been incremental background stuff that the people who knew it took for granted and the people that didn't were insulated from for a long time.

Like, I remember in the 7th grade having a unit in science class on how electricity works, like basic circuit diagrams and poo poo. In an American public school. I have no idea if that was a common piece of curriculum then, or if anyone teaches it now, but it was a helpful grounding in the concepts. I do not recall anything similar regarding computers, but I'm Gen X and might have been enough on the leading edge I missed it. In elementary school I did learn BASIC on TRS-80s with tape drives, but that was some kind of gifted program and I doubt was super common in those days.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Parts posted:

Accessibility and Transparency are not mutually exclusive. I would also say that Accessibility is not always more important then transparency, or necessarily important at all.

As software grows in complexity (and capability), the trade-offs for that flexibility are going to be at least partially in Accessibility. Software like AutoCAD or Photoshop or Visual Studio is not Accessible, by design. You simply must choose between 'software that does a job' or 'software that can be used on a first read'.

An general purpose OS is in a position where it can kinda have both and in a lot of ways already does implicitly. A lot of the settings and knobs you can turn are buried in regedit, gpedit or just 4 menus deep in settings - Ideally, you are surfacing those things closer then regedit because you want to make your features at least somewhat discoverable, but the fact that they exist as knobs to turn as all is an example of this duality, even if it's ungraceful sometimes.

Likewise, Android *could* expose a real file system to it's users and rooted phones frequently have that as an available feature, but they choose not to. The real key here though is that they have *chosen* not to. Nothing would really be lost if things like exposing more knobs and a file system were just hidden away in dev mode, but were otherwise readily accessible to a user in the know.

---

Finally, Accessibility probably *shouldn't* be the primary concern for most pieces of software, especially on OS. Philosophically, I'd argue that an OS should want it's users to gain competence and confidence - You give yourself so much more room in design and feature set if you can target affordances that have been built up through the years.
This is some 'teach a man to fish' kind of stuff here, but the power you give your users (and ultimately, the features and value you can deliver to them) is going to be at least derived somewhat from how well they can leverage your platform.

All that said, I'd say Accessibility First™ is a massive mistake, both as a Curator of Tech™ and as a business (over a long enough time line).

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Pvt. Parts posted:

You said that it's a problem that modern users who didn't have to deal with concepts like file systems get easily lost in the sauce and can lose a saved file, etc. I suppose I read-in too much of a finger-pointing at these users but in the context of you talking about how us young Millenials who grew up with these primitive computing concepts fully exposed to us have no issues, I think that's a reasonable message to take home.

Either way, it's the "sauce" that is indeed the real problem. The tech world is by far the most frustrating place to see stagnation and design rot because it is also the most cutting edge place where these things can and should be reviewed and iterated upon and improved. Staggered QWERTY keyboard layouts are based in preventing mechanical failures which are long gone. C drive is not A or B because those were reserved for floppy disks. All I'm saying is that the modern user deserves nothing but sympathy for not being grandfathered into all the random extremely outdated design choices we cling on to. Thank god for iPhones.

Right, I mean I implied it was a problem at least. I was saying that is what I think is the cause, or at least a part of it, of the trend I've seen in students over the last decade where they become less and less competent with working with computers even while they have to use them more and more and are getting more of an education on them (at least where I teach.)

I do think actually Android and iOS are a bigger part of this than Windows, but the reasons they contribute to it are the same.

All the rest can be true. Maybe the tradeoff was worth it. Accessibility is really important. Computers should not break if you sneeze on them. (Though I think if your argument can be equally used to justify using MS Bob or something it's got some problems, but that's a whole other thing.) Whether that stuff is true or not has no impact on whether or not changes in computing have resulted in people overall understanding how to use it or how it works less. It's not a value judgement, it's an observation.

I do think it is a problem though that needs some kind of solution. It's the kind of thing you can apply to most things that people use. Computers, in the broad sense, are things people spend a huge portion of their lives working with. So, it is a good thing for people to understand how they work and how to work with them when you have to go outside the things you have memorized. I'm not expecting everyone to be Unix wizards, that was tongue in cheek, but there's something between my students who get lost when an error message that tells them exactly what to do pops up and Ken Thompson.

Though I am thinking of something more fundamental than the concept of a drive letter. When you understand the actually underlying idea it doesn't really matter whether you're just using arbitrary mount points, drive letters, or some third whatever option. There's an underlying concept that makes the implementation not really matter.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I think some of this is just a failure of education, partly due to a lack of vision in the increasingly corporatized realm of American education, partly because it has been incremental background stuff that the people who knew it took for granted and the people that didn't were insulated from for a long time.

Like, I remember in the 7th grade having a unit in science class on how electricity works, like basic circuit diagrams and poo poo. In an American public school. I have no idea if that was a common piece of curriculum then, or if anyone teaches it now, but it was a helpful grounding in the concepts. I do not recall anything similar regarding computers, but I'm Gen X and might have been enough on the leading edge I missed it. In elementary school I did learn BASIC on TRS-80s with tape drives, but that was some kind of gifted program and I doubt was super common in those days.

I've sat through the A Level Computer Science courses and just looked over the curriculum (I don't teach it.) I've been trying to figure out a way to put why but I havent found the words for it yet but, I don't think it's good. It teaches fundamental stuff and the terminology but I dont think it actually successfully teaches the important concepts. It's way too abstracted. So, even where we have in depth pre-university (uni education is a whole other beast) computer science education I think we could be doing a lot better.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 20, 2023

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Finally, Accessibility probably *shouldn't* be the primary concern for most pieces of software, especially on OS. Philosophically, I'd argue that an OS should want it's users to gain competence and confidence - You give yourself so much more room in design and feature set if you can target affordances that have been built up through the years.
This is some 'teach a man to fish' kind of stuff here, but the power you give your users (and ultimately, the features and value you can deliver to them) is going to be at least derived somewhat from how well they can leverage your platform.

All that said, I'd say Accessibility First™ is a massive mistake, both as a Curator of Tech™ and as a business (over a long enough time line).

As someone who has worked on the customer service side for over two decades, you're unequivocally wrong on this. The primary concern should definitely be accessibility. Aim for the least proficient people you think will be using your stuff, halve it and hope that you haven't overshot your estimate.

In most cases the more options you provide, its more "teach a man to fish and hope he doesn't shoot his foot off" - you've got no idea where he got the gun when you were teaching him to fish but somehow he still managed to gently caress it up.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

As someone who has worked on the customer service side for over two decades, you're unequivocally wrong on this. The primary concern should definitely be accessibility. Aim for the least proficient people you think will be using your stuff, halve it and hope that you haven't overshot your estimate.

In most cases the more options you provide, its more "teach a man to fish and hope he doesn't shoot his foot off" - you've got no idea where he got the gun when you were teaching him to fish but somehow he still managed to gently caress it up.

Through the lens of someone who's primary goal is to turn support tickets around quickly, I absolutely agree with you.

That should not be the goal of functional software.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

Yes, 100% this. If you can make software, or anything, as frictionless as possible, that should be your goal. That is good design.

Through the lens of someone who's primary goal is to turn support tickets around quickly, I absolutely agree with you.

That should not be the goal of functional software.

I dunno what to tell you, but you're wrong. Not just when it comes to computers, but to design in general. The most elegant designs are as powerful as they can possibly be with the minimum of learning curve. Using folders as an example, they aren't intuitive to anyone who grew up without putting physical files into physical folders or on software meant to emulate that. The youngings understanding tagging just fine. They don't need folders.

You come off as the computer version of "you have to be able to change your own oil." No, no you don't. Not only because oil changes are cheap and ubiquitous, but because cars that need oil likely won't be a thing that someone who is 10 today has to even think about.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

I dunno what to tell you, but you're wrong. Not just when it comes to computers, but to design in general. The most elegant designs are as powerful as they can possibly be with the minimum of learning curve. Using folders as an example, they aren't intuitive to anyone who grew up without putting physical files into physical folders or on software meant to emulate that. The youngings understanding tagging just fine. They don't need folders.

You come off as the computer version of "you have to be able to change your own oil." No, no you don't. Not only because oil changes are cheap and ubiquitous, but because cars that need oil likely won't be a thing that someone who is 10 today has to even think about.

The core issue here is that this doesn't scale with functionality. Like I mentioned previously, software like Visual Studio is predestined to be very complex - there is no way you can both deliver the features it has and make it universally intuitive. This is generally true for production software across the board. In exchange for engaging deeply with that kind of software, you are allowed access to computing functionality that is orders of magnitude more powerful and expressive then a comparatively simple piece of software to use would provide. This is MSPaint vs Illustrator. Paint is way, way easier to use and a new user could figure it out quickly. Illustrator is enormous and you probably won't even be able to figure out how to set text or draw a line in it, but if you put the time into it, you will unlock wild functionality. The goal here is never to make software that anyone can just pick up - that's just not possible (with this class of software anyway). What you want to do is to design software that allows a new user a reasonably path to productivity while establishing affordances that you can use to introduce increasingly complex workflows. You want to design software that ultimately scales with the user's ability.

Now, an OS doesn't need to expose features as aggressively as production software does, but an OS also needs to scale to large and complex use cases to be useful. Windows with no folders and only 'tagging' is a disaster. Tagging fails to provide discovery avenues that folder structures can provide - it falls apart at scale. Furthermore, folders as a concept is something that can explained and understood in minutes of time. The decision that should be made here is the decision that ought to be made around most core UX ideas: "Is this feature worth the friction?" In the case of folders, the answer is unequivocally 'yes'. The affordances gained after 30 minutes of explanation to create discoverable, hierarchy-based file organization will pay for itself in time after days, nevermind the decades someone will likely be interfacing with some kind of computer system.

Truly, I mostly agree with this:

The most elegant designs are as powerful as they can possibly be with the minimum of learning curve

I would append some nuance about not making your ramp up easier at the cost of a powerful workflow. Using Paint vs Illustrator again -- Layers are something that trips new users up a lot when they are trying to interface with their work. If you laser focus on 'time to spin up', you might be lead to remove layers because select and edit functionality is confusing and frustrating until you understand the core concept of Layers. But Layers provide such a powerful workflow - such a change would come at the expense of your advanced users. The upper limit of functionality of the software would be badly compromised. In practice, removing layers would be a huge mistake even though it's one of the most frequent road blocks to learning Illustrator and Photoshop.

Taking my designer hat off for a second - For me personally, I don't expect everyone to 'change the oil' per say, but I get pretty irked when you remove that option from me, or make it harder to access for reasons that don't really hold weight in real use cases.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 20, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BrainDance posted:

This is entirely what it was for me. Got a computer, got this game Creatures 2 where it came with a little scripting language so you could make objects to import into it and I remember sitting there with my grandma and a copy of "Windows 95 for Dummies" trying to figure out how to download the objects, put them in the right folder (without knowing what that was yet) and import them into the game, then how to write my own. We had to call my uncle up and he taught us how to use winzip over the phone.

Then figuring out how to download RPG Maker 95 games on the Internet and install them. How to get roms working, how to make my own stupid games with my friend in basic, etc. and it just builds up until one day you're one of those unix beard dudes. There's a pipeline, and if we lose that pipeline we're not gonna have unix wizards in the future.

That's why, I'm sorry Dead Goon the weird hacky open source explorer patch broke your computer

But I'm so glad weird hacky open source explorer patches that break computers still exist.

It was kind of cool, I've never used a system restore point, ever!

My fault really for blindly running something off the internet without reading anything about it at all :)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
System Restore actually kinda works these days, which isn't something you could say for uh, most of its existance.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

But you don't necessarily have to remove stuff. The operating system for most people doesn't mean anything, it's just icons you click. You absolutely can have photoshop in mspaint mode. But it wouldn't make sense for a program like that. It would for an OS though.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I don't understand why the option still being available in regedit isn't "Accessible" enough for people and that, of all the streamlining of the user interface Microsoft has done over the years, this is the one where some people decide to start crying foul.

The overlap of people who should be messing with system files and the people who don't know how to use regedit is approximately zero. Of *all* the features to remove from the friendly side of the UI and shove off into the regedit pile, 'Show protected operating system files' is right there at the top of the list of the most appropriate things to go.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I get making software more usable by 99% of people who do not touch computers on a professional, semi-professional, or even amateur capacity.

But that kind of thinking written to its extreme is why we have dumb poo poo like Teslas not having brake pedals.

Accessibility should not accompany a dumbing down of the operating system. Or the other way around. If someone wants to put the OS into sport track mode and turn off traction control, they should be able to, especially if that's what they're used to in the first place.

:iiaca:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

biznatchio posted:

I don't understand why the option still being available in regedit isn't "Accessible" enough for people and that, of all the streamlining of the user interface Microsoft has done over the years, this is the one where some people decide to start crying foul.

The overlap of people who should be messing with system files and the people who don't know how to use regedit is approximately zero. Of *all* the features to remove from the friendly side of the UI and shove off into the regedit pile, 'Show protected operating system files' is right there at the top of the list of the most appropriate things to go.
People, myself included, have been bitching about MS dumbing poo poo down for years. It's not a new complaint.

I know how to use regedit but it's a pain in the rear end to find anything, it's neither discoverable nor self-explanatory, so you have to dig through horrible garbage websites where information is out of date or conflicts with one another to try to make sense of anything. Instead of having a tab with advanced settings where you check a box.

The vast majority of people of course just need a machine to run their facebook so would be happy with 0 options. So it's not surprising they're doing this.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If someone wants to put the OS into sport track mode and turn off traction control, they should be able to, especially if that's what they're used to in the first place.

Yeah I guess my point here is that for this feature, they're still able to. It's not even particularly difficult to and is well within the expected skillset of someone who'd actually need the feature in the first place, so I'm not exactly seeing what makes this change worthy of pages of lamentations about Accessibility and Transparency and This Is Why Kids These Days Don't Know Computers. Compared to other changes to Windows over the years, and Windows 11 in particular, this one has got to be up there as one of the least impactful changes imaginable.

It even lured out a "switch to Linux" discussion. And man, if you're upset about having to read some documentation online and go into regedit to enable a feature, you might want to sit down because I've got some bad news for you about running Linux as your daily driver.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
thank god i never have to use regedit in linux

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

thank god i never have to use regedit in linux

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I started using Linux with Steam Deck and that one is pretty neat and Just Works. But it would probably suck to use exclusively.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've only have to fight windows machines at work since i nuked windows on my gamebox at home in 2021 and my qol has since skyrocketed as a direct consequence, it owns :v:

realtalk it's not one specific change in particular but more that every little lovely change makes it more annoying/less friendly to set up if you're not in the "office employee who uses word and chome" subsection of users microsoft seems to be laser focused on now. poo poo kept piling up over the years and for me it was eventually enough that when win refused to boot one day, i installed linux instead of reinstalling. in KDE i don't have to scour google to find registry keys for thing, i can just hit winkey to search for thing and then click a checkbox in settings

and the fact that everyone else keeps adding features i like while windows keeps hiding and/or deprecating features that have been present for decades, well

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

I started using Linux with Steam Deck and that one is pretty neat and Just Works. But it would probably suck to use exclusively.

Linux is great if there is a dedicated team supporting it. Like SteamDeck or Raspberry Pi

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MikusR posted:

Linux is great if there is a dedicated team supporting it. Like SteamDeck or Raspberry Pi

what the linux kernel mailing list isn't good enough for you, smh

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if you buy red hat and you run into like a gnome bug or something will they fix it for you

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

biznatchio posted:

It even lured out a "switch to Linux" discussion. And man, if you're upset about having to read some documentation online and go into regedit to enable a feature, you might want to sit down because I've got some bad news for you about running Linux as your daily driver.

It doesn't feel as annoying in Linux but I am absolutely not disagreeing with you because I'm not sure why I think like that.

I only use Windows on one computer, the rest are all Debian and it just overall works a lot better. But, yeah, it is mostly editing plain text config files somewhere with vim which should be way more annoying.

I think it might not be as annoying to me because even though it's editing text files, that's all it is. For every config for everything I use at least, everything can just be edited from a text editor in a terminal. If I know where that piece of the OS keeps its config files (though this is a problem, there are standard places to do it but that's more an ideal than whats really going on) no problem. Just check the wiki for the syntax. Windows it's not always very clear, the registry is this massive thing that's not as easy to navigate, maybe the setting is in the control panel, maybe the "new" settings thing, if it's another program maybe it puts its config file in its own folder or maybe it makes something in appdata or some other thing I cant imagine right now.

I think the other thing is, if I want to do something in Linux I probably can do it. I've been wanting to display the Windows taskbar on monitors 1 and 3 but not monitor 2 lately and I'm pretty sure that's not a thing I can just do in Windows which is kind of annoying, so now I'm thinking maybe some other software can do it. But, that's annoying too, when you have to add a bunch of extra software to make it work right. Granted, Linux is 99% "third party software" in a way but it coming from the Debian repos and being maintained by the Debian package maintainers makes it not feel that way.

A part of it might just be that I've been using Linux for about 2 decades now. I've been using Windows for longer, but using Windows consists of usually just doing what I have to do on it, not understanding how all the pieces work together (the original thing I was complaining about, so I guess I'm a victim of it, too) but "using" Linux for those 2 decades is different and now I understand how all the pieces of a distro work together so it's just easier to make it do what I want. Though I've really tried to dig deep into Windows, probably have a lot more than most people who aren't doing it as their job. If I had to sit here and draw up a visualization of "how Linux works" and "how Windows works" on a chalkboard the Linux one would be much more detailed and accurate.

I'm not trying to start an argument about Linux, I'm just trying to think through why Linux annoys me less when doing anything on it is technically harder.

I'm not upset about this regedit thing for this setting. It just seems like a big trend in Windows though. I get annoyed at things in Windows and it usually is something where the settings for what I want to do are spread all over in weird places and not in the obvious place I think they should go, or have been removed when they used to be a normal, standard thing.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

I'm not trying to start an argument about Linux, I'm just trying to think through why Linux annoys me less when doing anything on it is technically harder.

My patience for Linux generally gets extended because while some things are frustrating or even incompetent at times, Linux is not antagonistic.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

My patience for Linux generally gets extended because while some things are frustrating or even incompetent at times, Linux is not antagonistic.

Yeah the other big part is that it's free*, and that nets you a lot of goodwill when it comes to dumb decisions/etc. I like linux quite a bit for...work stuff, servers/etc, things that I don't want to mutate the state on very much, so basically it's a 'Do this thing' machine, and it's loving fantastic at that, especially because there's a lot of folks doing the same thing and so it's generally not that hard to figure out how to get poo poo working.

I don't really like using it as a daily driver because even with all the windows BS; I'm much more familiar with how to figure out if some random rear end thing isn't working when there's a million variables, and the couple times I've run a linux server for any extended period of time (or used it as a daily driver for a few months) I start picking up random cruft, and trying to do X turns into fifteen steps I have to do first or some weird gotcha.

Notably, a lot of that isn't linux's fault, although it definitely has a lot more cobwebs in some corners and other weird behaviors (wireless drivers, I'm looking directly at you after I had to compile them from source on my last server), because honestly someone who had been using Linux as long as I've been using Windows would probably find Windows similarly byzantine and bizarre, and I'm sure we'd both find OSX just a nightmare too.

So basically, while Windows is irritating, it's not nearly as irritating as the alternatives for me. Yet. For now.

* Obviously Redhat/etc whatever blah blah you know what I'm talking about.

Edit: Putting it another way, when you try Linux and you find out that say, wireless driver support in 2023 is still kind of a goddamn crapshoot, it's free, so you chalk that up to weirdness with open source, or problems with manufacturers, or whatever.

When Microsoft removes a perfectly useful setting from a menu that didn't have to be removed for dubious improvements and gains, and especially when they keep pressuring you to use their store and other poo poo, it's a lot less charming, because they're a multi-billion dollar company, and the fact that Windows 11 is sort of free just makes you more suspicious and not less so.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 21, 2023

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I actually prefer Linux as my daily driver, and rarely have to use the CLI most of the time (on this particular machine I use it a little more because Tumbleweed really wants you to run updates from there). For most day to day tasks it is more likely to do what I want, when I want. And, like I've said before, I feel like KDE Plasma does a better job at being Windows than Windows itself does.

I'm really not much of a platform zealot, although I do tend to low-key dislike Apple products. 20 years ago I had to support a university department where most of the staff and faculty had Macs, most of the students used Windows, and I was messing around with Linux on my own. Shepherding people through the switch from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS 10.2 was not my favorite experience, and prying some people off the old operating system was a painful and prolonged process.

One thing that I can say about desktop Linux versus Windows or Mac OS is that it is the one that has most dramatically and consistently improved. Most of the old pain points of desktop Linux have been gone for years at this point, and it is functionally equivalent to the other operating systems. Well, at least as far as current KDE is concerned - I haven't run xfce in a long time, and haven't run Gnome in forever, so I can't speak to other desktop environments with any authority.

I still like having dual-boots, and rely on Windows for gaming, but some of that is out of habit. I've used both Windows and Linux for so long they are both about as familiar to me, and each has relative strengths and weaknesses.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

BrainDance posted:

It doesn't feel as annoying in Linux but I am absolutely not disagreeing with you because I'm not sure why I think like that.

I only use Windows on one computer, the rest are all Debian and it just overall works a lot better. But, yeah, it is mostly editing plain text config files somewhere with vim which should be way more annoying.

For me it's mainly because you don't know when someone at Microsoft decides that the registry hack has got to go, so you never know how long your current setup is allowed to exist.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an interesting problem on my hands.

I got a Windows 10 installation, with product key, through Microsoft's student program. I installed it on an air-gapped computer, and never actually bothered to activate it (because, y'know, air-gapped). It turns out W10 never actually complains about activation if it is never connected to the Internet.

Flash forward ~5 years.

Now, I would like to install Windows in Parallels Desktop on my M1 MacBook. I fished out the W10 product key with regedit* and entered it into Windows 11, with intent to use it as an upgrade... and it rejected it, with the dread Error 0x803FA067.

Now what? I do not particularly want to give Microsoft $250.

*I don't know if it's the same product key as I got originally, but it may be quite some time before I can find the install disc I burned again to know for sure.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's some goons who sell Windows keys in SA-Mart for quite cheap. I've used them successfully in the past. Not an endorsement, etc., etc.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There's some goons who sell Windows keys in SA-Mart for quite cheap. I've used them successfully in the past. Not an endorsement, etc., etc.

I tried him. It worked great! Win11's now activated.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Now that I’m up and running, can someone recommend a debloater/antitelemetry suite for W11 that will work on ARM? A friend recommended WinAero Tweaker, but it’s Intel only.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

biznatchio posted:

Yeah I guess my point here is that for this feature, they're still able to. It's not even particularly difficult to and is well within the expected skillset of someone who'd actually need the feature in the first place, so I'm not exactly seeing what makes this change worthy of pages of lamentations about Accessibility and Transparency and This Is Why Kids These Days Don't Know Computers. Compared to other changes to Windows over the years, and Windows 11 in particular, this one has got to be up there as one of the least impactful changes imaginable.

As a poet once said, "there's layers to this poo poo, playa, tiramasu, tiramasu."

I draw a distinction between Microsoft eventually forcing computer touchers to to use powershell and hand-edit registry entries. That should be the point at which you're doing mods to your car. Strut braces, coilovers, intake, exhaust, bolting on a turbo, etc. poo poo, I'm getting mad thinking about all those loving cars I've worked on where you have to lift the engine out to change the oil, or get access to the battery through the wheelwell.

I don't want to have to break out regedit or powershell to rotate the tires.

Like, when I was diagnosing Intel i226 network problems, I had to reset the adapter so many times. I still don't know how you'd loving do something as basic as that in the modern interface, I just know that If I have the Network Connections window open, I can right-click disable, right-click enable, and continue whacking away at the machine.

There's a reason why the old control panel is so beloved, and why it is reached for it instead of punching in powershell commands.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's pretty easy

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vic posted:

It's pretty easy

edit: I just realized I'm in the W11 thread, not the W10 thread. loving finally.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Quackles posted:

Now that I’m up and running, can someone recommend a debloater/antitelemetry suite for W11 that will work on ARM? A friend recommended WinAero Tweaker, but it’s Intel only.

https://www.gentoo.org/

Winaero Tweaker should work on arm.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MikusR posted:

Winaero Tweaker should work on arm.

I tried it. It refused to run, with a dialog box specifically citing being compiled for either x86 or x64 architectures.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

SwissArmyDruid posted:

edit: I just realized I'm in the W11 thread, not the W10 thread. loving finally.

It's really ridiculous that it's 11 years since Windows 8 started moving things over to Settings from Control Panel. There shouldn't be anything there now except legacy app stuff that hasn't been updated in a decade. Certainly no excuse for not having all the Microsoft stuff in Settings by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have a headset with me today so I'm listening to a Teams meeting from the laptop speaker. It's not possible to adjust the volume, like, at all, not even mute. The slider moves, the mute LED lights up, makes no difference.

So it's blaring loud enough to hear it from half of the floor, thankfully there's nobody else here today though.