Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COp4jAl_Ho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
how did alonso keep that gap between him and hamilton while coasting and cooling brakes anyways? seems crazy

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
He's good, op

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q06nVtH16S8&t=358s

Albon's and Yuki's post radio's are cracking me up.

e: for some reason yuki's sounds so sarcastic even though it isnt

ilmucche posted:

He's good, op

oh

Sunk Dunk fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 19, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He was losing ground and wanted to make a push but they were nursing his rear brakes after he tapped the wall early in the race. Once he got the green light to drive for the finish he extended the gap again.

It's not mentioned much but the Aston Martin has got some ridiculous endurance when it's on hard tyres.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Arc Hammer posted:

He was losing ground and wanted to make a push but they were nursing his rear brakes after he tapped the wall early in the race. Once he got the green light to drive for the finish he extended the gap again.

It's not mentioned much but the Aston Martin has got some ridiculous endurance when it's on hard tyres.

It's almost like Mercedes isn't offering a good car this year.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

alonso was pretty confident sounding after the race that Aston was in position to beat Red Bull without the lift/coast order. i dunno, who knows, but he hasn't said anything like that all season.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/1670915733168041984?s=46

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

alonso was pretty confident sounding after the race that Aston was in position to beat Red Bull without the lift/coast order. i dunno, who knows, but he hasn't said anything like that all season.

Alonso is just insanely good as a driver but he's also had like a decade + of mastering his "Ohh woe is me the issue is definitely the car and here's why" PR schtick because it fits into his narrative and media portrayal of himself extremely conveniently. lmao at actually reading into anything he actually has to say about his own car post Mclaren Honda

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
He’s been great this year but I’ve always questioned his ability to develop a car, or even diagnose what is wrong with it.

The Bullishness over the 2018 McLaren season will never not be funny to me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that the best utilisation of him is to just let him drive, ignore anything he says in feedback and get someone else in there to develop the car. Ferrari never seemed to move forward in a season when he was there and he was just completely loving wrong about the issues at Mclaren.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The MCL33 was so bad it permanently ended Boullier’s career.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

tony quidtana posted:

I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that the best utilisation of him is to just let him drive, ignore anything he says in feedback and get someone else in there to develop the car. Ferrari never seemed to move forward in a season when he was there and he was just completely loving wrong about the issues at Mclaren.

He seems to be fine now, op. Maybe he's not that poo poo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can Sargent develop a car?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't think anything ferarri or mclaren have done in the last 15 years really point the finger at alonso not being helpful

in fact is seems like he is... cause, Aston Martin.?? unless you think lance stroll is a great car development driver

maybe mclaren and ferarri are just poo poo :thunk:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Perez and Stroll are such embarrassments that is really difficult to pin down how good their cars are. Max is .7 seconds a lap faster than the field, but Perez can't get out of Q2. Alonso is qualifying second, but Stroll gets knocked out in Q1.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man even Bottas is/was a significantly better driver than Checo.

He freaking sucks.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Red Bull 2nd seat: where careers go to die

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Alonso: if I didn't have to lift and coast, I could have caught red bull

Verstappen: if I didn't have a dead bird in my break ducts, I could have ended 30s ahead

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kirios posted:

Man even Bottas is/was a significantly better driver than Checo.

He freaking sucks.

Bottas was the perfect second driver for a championship: rarely binned it, finished second enough to lock down the constructors, always followed team orders.

Checo isn't the worst but I bet you put Daniel Ricardo in that seat and he's at least competitive.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Fluffdaddy posted:

Bottas was the perfect second driver for a championship: rarely binned it, finished second enough to lock down the constructors, always followed team orders.

Checo isn't the worst but I bet you put Daniel Ricardo in that seat and he's at least competitive.

I think he isn't allowed to sit there because he kept driving into Max

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Is it possible for Alonso to get a seat at rbr or all the contracts hosed out the wazoo?

Horners gotta be on that...

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

if you mean competitive for being the actual worst yeah

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SocksAndSandals posted:

Is it possible for Alonso to get a seat at rbr or all the contracts hosed out the wazoo?

Driving for red bull makes you a douchebag, so I don't wanna see Alonso there because he's way more fun as a happy old guy. Seb was a douche at RBR, same with Albon, same as Danny.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

if you mean competitive for being the actual worst yeah

I would take the redbull drama of 2018 but instead at the front of the field over this any day.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why would anyone want Magic Alonso to sully his own name and associate with cheaters when the FIA can just ban the offending team and he becomes WDC on merit like the WDC class driver he is?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

He seems to be fine now, op. Maybe he's not that poo poo.

ya because he just jumped into the car providing no feedback whatsoever. maybe read my posts dipshit

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

SocksAndSandals posted:

There's no loving way. He's one of three guys (Him, Hamilton and Leclerc) that could seriously race Max for a title. That's the last thing they want - making Max unhappy.

In fact he may be the one driver who I'd say is better than Max.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 20, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

tony quidtana posted:

maybe read my posts dipshit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

I think Checo probably struggled this weekend with tire temps, his super power is keeping the tires fresh but that's less useful in either rain chaos or when the track is like Canada (low tire temps because it's short corners and long straights) and the Red Bull trades off the ability to switch its tires on with keeping the aero platform stable thanks to the front suspension design. again, it usually works, but then you have races like this.

Checo is a race-winner and proven points getter with Sauber/Force India, he's just barely acceptable as a #2 driver. But then when the Red Bull car is so strongly suited to Max's driving style, and the team so focused on Max's performance, you're not going to have the same situation as Red Bull when they had Vettel and Webber, or Mercedes during this turbo hybrid era. Red Bull haven't yet had their "gently caress it, we're putting the best two drivers in here" moment, ala McLaren with Prost/Senna. And I'm not sure they ever will now.

race was meh, didn't have time to watch it back so just highlights this week. Wondering if this circuit is a real anomaly or if Mercedes and Fernando really can get closer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Kirios posted:

There's no loving way. He's one of three guys (Him, Hamilton and Leclerc) that could seriously race Max for a title. That's the last thing they want - making Max unhappy.

In fact he may be the one driver who I'd say is better than Max.
What do y'all smoke seriously lmao
Leclerc - the second Max is quicker over a weekend than Leclerc he'll go into his own head and "im stoopid" himself. We saw last year he can't put himself in a front running position and not make endless unforced errors.

Hamilton - too old, doesn't have the pace. Makes too many errors. Being equal on points into Abu Dhabi was 100% Lewis' fault, he would have sealed the WDC in Saudi Arabia for himself if it wasn't for his own fuckups. Even if you take away Baku you still have ~20 points Lewis lost on his own merit.

Alonso - too old, doesn't have the pace.

Max is a genetic experiment to make a racing driver and there's really no-one that can live with his race pace.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Counterpoint: Heart of a Lion

Agree that Chorles and Hamichud suck though

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Khablam posted:

What do y'all smoke seriously lmao
Leclerc - the second Max is quicker over a weekend than Leclerc he'll go into his own head and "im stoopid" himself. We saw last year he can't put himself in a front running position and not make endless unforced errors.

Hamilton - too old, doesn't have the pace. Makes too many errors. Being equal on points into Abu Dhabi was 100% Lewis' fault, he would have sealed the WDC in Saudi Arabia for himself if it wasn't for his own fuckups. Even if you take away Baku you still have ~20 points Lewis lost on his own merit.

Alonso - too old, doesn't have the pace.

Max is a genetic experiment to make a racing driver and there's really no-one that can live with his race pace.

its the car, hth

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Alaois posted:

its the car, hth
Yeah this makes sense as it explains why he finishes a pitstop down the road from his team-mates and in simulators beats all the competition in his first try at a new car.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Hate to say it, but Khablam is right. Maybe a little too rough on Chawls, but mostly on point.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what is the worst comparative performance of a teammate in f1 history

someone's gotta have a chart

Your problem here is it'll be something like Eric Van de Poele and Giovanna Amati.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Khablam posted:

Max is a genetic experiment to make a human-amphibian hybrid life form.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

tadpole to fraud pole

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

tony quidtana posted:

ya because he just jumped into the car providing no feedback whatsoever. maybe read my posts dipshit

I didn't know you had so much insider info at Aston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Also let’s be honest no one wants to read his posts