Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

John, a landlord from Valley View who called into ABC Radio Adelaide, said the government should "butt out" of people's private affairs.

"That is my business, and if you keep butting into my private affairs, I will sell that property and I will buy a motorhome and I will go travelling and there will be one less property out there for rentals," he said.

How the gently caress do idiots like this afford to be part of the landed gentry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

John, a landlord from Valley View who called into ABC Radio Adelaide, said the government should "butt out" of people's private affairs.

"That is my business, and if you keep butting into my private affairs, I will sell that property and I will buy a motorhome and I will go travelling and there will be one less property out there for rentals," he said.

good, gently caress off John, I suggest you start with a very long holiday in the Nullabor

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

How the gently caress do idiots like this afford to be part of the landed gentry

Being born in the era when a single income supported a family and the house prices were about a year of that single income, when university was free and welfare was well funded. Thoroughly mediocre people became our ownership class strictly through when they were born and who to.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think by "sell" he means "collect insurance on".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know you're doing good when all the worst people come out to complain about it.

Those landlords with 6 homes still think they're 'battlers'. Also apparently that houses cease to exist if there isn't someone collecting rent for them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hooman posted:

Labor will absolutely not call a double dissolution election. In fact if there was an open market on sportsbet for it, I would literally put money on it. Nothing but bluster to try and pressure the greens, and I am proud of them for holding firm and forcing labor to do actually good things instead of *nothing* things. The problem with housing exists right now, and the solutions need to address both the problem right now and the problem long term.

Not Labor's original policy of doing nothing right now, and maybe doing something long term if the stock market goes up and the investment pays off, and they're still in government, and they feel like it.

The Albanese government is seeking constitutional advice over whether the Greens’ continual refusal to allow a debate on the $10 billion social housing fund is grounds for a double dissolution election.

After the Greens and the Coalition teamed up in the Senate on Monday to defer debating and voting on the bill until October 16, Anthony Albanese told Caucus the action may constitute the first half of a trigger for an early, full Senate election.

“The Greens are bringing a juvenile, student politics approach which needs to be exposed,” he said of the party’s refusal to back the Housing Australia Future Fund despite numerous concessions.

“Continually deferring a bill can be taken as a block, and we are seeking advice on that.”

The Greens are demanding the government enact a national rent freeze before considering the bill, but Albanese said that was not only untenable but would result in less supply and make the problem worse.

A double dissolution trigger is gained when the Senate fails to pass a bill twice with a minimum of three months in between.

A double dissolution is a full Senate election that must be held more than six months before the expiry date of the House of Representatives.

At the very latest, that would be March 29, 2025, but the government could go much earlier if it wished. The earliest it could hold a half-Senate election would be August 3, 2024.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Sucks to be him. Either someone else will buy and rent out the property or buy and live there.

Also, John, with all due respect, gently caress you and everything you stand for, eat the worst kind of poo poo and die alone and unloved while your property goes to someone who might actually need a home. No offence.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 20, 2023

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Who the gently caress but the most rusted on drips are going to be in favour of an election this early?

I guess also aside from knuckledraggers who think Dutton is in with a chance.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
John sounds like his kids dont talk to him and his wife left him.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sounds like the Greens just noticed that 1/3 of the country is renting, forever, and that number is going to go up.

Libs and Labour will fight over the 1/3 with house and those with a mortgage.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/1671022914588798977

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

The Albanese government is seeking constitutional advice over whether the Greens’ continual refusal to allow a debate on the $10 billion social housing fund is grounds for a double dissolution election.

After the Greens and the Coalition teamed up in the Senate on Monday to defer debating and voting on the bill until October 16, Anthony Albanese told Caucus the action may constitute the first half of a trigger for an early, full Senate election.

“The Greens are bringing a juvenile, student politics approach which needs to be exposed,” he said of the party’s refusal to back the Housing Australia Future Fund despite numerous concessions.

“Continually deferring a bill can be taken as a block, and we are seeking advice on that.”

The Greens are demanding the government enact a national rent freeze before considering the bill, but Albanese said that was not only untenable but would result in less supply and make the problem worse.

A double dissolution trigger is gained when the Senate fails to pass a bill twice with a minimum of three months in between.

A double dissolution is a full Senate election that must be held more than six months before the expiry date of the House of Representatives.

At the very latest, that would be March 29, 2025, but the government could go much earlier if it wished. The earliest it could hold a half-Senate election would be August 3, 2024.

It's still absolutely a bluff. Labor is filled only with cowards.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

But is Labor decorum enough to seek a mandate if a DD means further mandates to be had?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

How will they get a mandate to go to a DD to get a mandate?

Not a rhetorical question, my guess is a plebiscite.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When you love the prestige of a mandate but are terrified and resentful of the idea of being expected to actually do anything. They're neoliberals, they expect to sit in the big chair and be revered.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Spookydonut posted:

John sounds like his kids dont talk to him and his wife left him.

you have to get it right, the woke mind virus got to his kids and his wife

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

How will they get a mandate to go to a DD to get a mandate?

Not a rhetorical question, my guess is a plebiscite.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Inflation is out of control, thousands of people every single day are coming off fixed rate mortgages of 1% and ploughing into 5% and rising, and all of this is happening to a citizenry who largely haven't experienced a recession in their working lives but are probably about to - and have also been told, and will continue to be told by the media and their boomer parents, that the Liberals are good economic managers and you can't trust Labor with the economy. If I were Albo, an excuse for an election in the next few months while I'm still way ahead in the polls wouldn't be a bad idea.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Labor proving once again it’s not the party of governance and really they should let the adults who can actually negotiate take over.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Christ it’s frustrating to watch though. They’ll do everything except fix the actual problem then sook to the media about how they tried so hard.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

They need a mandate to fix the problem first.

Labor follows Crusader Kings 2 logic where they need to send their Spymaster to the Senate to fabricate a mandate.

Then the call election button will be available to acquire more mandates.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bargearse posted:

Christ it’s frustrating to watch though. They’ll do everything except fix the actual problem then sook to the media about how they tried so hard.

America's little brother strikes again!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Oh my loving god Jim Chalmers loving sucks. Saying this when pressed on rents:

We’ve got new tax breaks for build to rent properties.

Being a parasite is going to be even more profitable now! Quick everyone snap up more housing!

loving amazing, gently caress you.

EDIT: A man lays stabbed on the ground. "Don't worry, I'll save you." says Jim Chalmers, superhero. "I'll create a tax incentive for businesses to start a bandage factory! I'll also include a bandage cashback supplement for welfare recipients!". The man gasps weakly, his life draining inexorably away as blood flows from the gaping wound. "You're welcome," says Jim Chalmers, superhero, getting back into his government car, "another crisis resolved."

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 22, 2023

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

We tried, but those mean out of touch latte sipping greenies wouldn’t let us build the bandage factory!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Build to rent is actually a good thing, the more build to rent we have the more we shift to a European mentality where renting homes out to people becomes a business (and so tenants are treated as customers) instead of the current system where houses are owned by selfish boomers who treat tenants as something akin to a termite infestation that they barely tolerate in their precious investment.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I think we should shift to a Chinese mentality when it comes to landlords

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
ok someone explain build to rent to me because in lost

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Build to rent is actually a good thing, the more build to rent we have the more we shift to a European mentality where renting homes out to people becomes a business (and so tenants are treated as customers) instead of the current system where houses are owned by selfish boomers who treat tenants as something akin to a termite infestation that they barely tolerate in their precious investment.

Citation needed.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

BTR = the development is built to house tenants only and is private sector (usually owned by the developer)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Build to rent is were a company builds an apartment building that it retains ownership of and then rents out the apartments - renting apartments to people is the business of the company and how it makes money.

How it works in places like Germany is that a much higher percentage of the population rents, but there isn’t this huge stigma associated with renting like there is here, and renters rights are stronger - because here people are buying houses for the capital gain, and they see tenants as these dirty parasites coming in and potentially damaging their precious investments but they have no choice because it’s the only way they can afford their loan.

Whereas in Germany and other European countries a huge chunk of the housing stock is owned by companies who are in the business of providing rentals to people. Think of it like a hotel - a hotel wants you to stay there, and come back again, and tell your friends to stay there; so they pamper you and actively try and make your stay as pleasant as possible. It’s the same for build to rent. Tenants are suddenly customers; and they’re treated as such - the customer is always right etc. the companies are competing with each other to attract and retain customers (in this case tenants).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
You know what else was big in Germany?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

Build to rent is were a company builds an apartment building that it retains ownership of and then rents out the apartments - renting apartments to people is the business of the company and how it makes money.

How it works in places like Germany is that a much higher percentage of the population rents, but there isn’t this huge stigma associated with renting like there is here, and renters rights are stronger - because here people are buying houses for the capital gain, and they see tenants as these dirty parasites coming in and potentially damaging their precious investments but they have no choice because it’s the only way they can afford their loan.

Whereas in Germany and other European countries a huge chunk of the housing stock is owned by companies who are in the business of providing rentals to people. Think of it like a hotel - a hotel wants you to stay there, and come back again, and tell your friends to stay there; so they pamper you and actively try and make your stay as pleasant as possible. It’s the same for build to rent. Tenants are suddenly customers; and they’re treated as such - the customer is always right etc. the companies are competing with each other to attract and retain customers (in this case tenants).

We have in no cases and in no places seen businesses colluding using third party "rent calculation" apps to fix rents and thus not compete with each other at all but instead drive up all rental prices together. Meaning that houses are intentionally left empty so as to prevent the rental prices from falling. This is not a thing we are seeing in any place anywhere and is absolutely not a thing that will happen here.

EDIT: This is why cutting our tax base by providing tax discounts to businesses that build to rent (which in no way will be absolute bare lowest quality shitholes) will absolutely work instead of taking stupid worthless direct action to create housing stock which have fixed lower prices set by governments.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 22, 2023

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hooman posted:

We have in no cases and in no places seen businesses colluding using third party "rent calculation" apps to fix rents and thus not compete with each other at all but instead drive up all rental prices together. Meaning that houses are intentionally left empty so as to prevent the rental prices from falling. This is not a thing we are seeing in any place anywhere and is absolutely not a thing that will happen here.

No but you see, BTR is going to make our housing industries culture and it's associated regulatory systems more European! Where the owners of these complexes have less power over tenants as opposed to what they would possess now.

BTR is going to do this from the goodness of its heart , because there's no financial incentive to do anything you've described within the current systems, cross it's heart.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

hooman posted:

EDIT: This is why cutting our tax base by providing tax discounts to businesses that build to rent (which in no way will be absolute bare lowest quality shitholes) will absolutely work instead of taking stupid worthless direct action to create housing stock which have fixed lower prices set by governments.

this is also happening here but with private landlords (because they all use real estate agents)

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

You know what else was big in Germany?

Hitler?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

trunkh posted:

No but you see, BTR is going to make our housing industries culture and it's associated regulatory systems more European! Where the owners of these complexes have less power over tenants as opposed to what they would possess now.

BTR is going to do this from the goodness of its heart , because there's no financial incentive to do anything you've described within the current systems, cross it's heart.

Of course, governments can't do things! They can only provide the private sector incentives to do things! The private sector will simply do the thing that is needed in the way that best suits society, and will not maximise profit with no consideration of any social cost to that action.

Please do attempt to draw any conclusions by studying previous experiences with prviatisation of national assets in Australia, or the UK, or the US. I assure you, they all went very well and only improved service to consumers.

If you have the misfortune of remembering any of these please step into this small office where I have a comically large hammer to bonk you on the head with and a first year economics textbook from 1999.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

this is also happening here but with private landlords (because they all use real estate agents)

Absolutely, it is. I didn't mean to imply that this would only happen because of BTR incentives, I was pointing out that BTR incentives would do nothing to fix the problem.

We need a large governmental base of social housing to drive the price down by having places that exist at reasonable rents which the private renters have to compete with (competition, in my market!?!) for the longer term solution, and rental freezes/caps/vacancy taxes in the short term.

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 22, 2023

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

hooman posted:

You do both dude. And legislate stricter protections for renters (which also happens in Europe); and stricter regulations to prevent that sort of collision from happening. Give the government the right to conscript any property that is vacant for more than x months to house the homeless for eg.

Even if we build a bunch of houses and drive prices down to 80s levels of proportionate cost there are always going to be people who need or prefer to rent.

There are multiple different lines of reform needed to solve the housing crisis; and shifting tenants from a nuisance to be tolerated to a customer that is fundamental to your business model and needs to be wooed to do business with you is an important component of that reform.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 22, 2023

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Something like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It would be good if tenants were treated more like important paying customers but I don't see Wesfarmers Tower as the solution to problems in the rental market now. I don't think we should throw our hands in the air when we don't even have a decent medium density market for people to buy into or any other plan on the cards to motivate better treatment of tenants.

If you want to public-private it you'd be better off co-funding medium and high density that is only owner occupier with some funding for low income buyers that's better than poo poo like only needing a 5% deposit. I also can't really see us creating legislation that promotes or mandates long term leases which are the key aspect to European rentals afaik