Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

wash bucket posted:

I thought part of the reason military grade hardware was so expensive was that it was durable and tested to within an inch of it's life?

HahahahahahahahahahahahahHahahahahH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

Look I know there's grift in there.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The idiots probably forget to invert the Y-axis in the menu, and made the sub go down instead of up

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

there's a guy who didn't lockdown during covid, choosing the most claustrophobic way to view the final resting place of a thousand souls

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang,
"Ethics for Tomorrow"

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Rip Testes posted:

What was the thinking behind having a 96 hour oxygen supply when there's no beacon to relay the sub's position if it were ever lost. That's a nightmare that you could be stuck on the bottom of the Atlantic and rather than having a quicker end you'd have to ponder your demise for the better part of a week because no one in the surface has any clue where you are or the means to retrieve you if they did.

meanwhile you got an overflowing chemical toilet full of 96 hours of 5 peoples poo poo and piss

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

If it sank, there's no way in a million years it'll ever be found, so we'll all have to speculate whether they died quickly or slowly and horrifically. Schrodinger's sub.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's a submarine! it's supposed to sink!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

using a mad catz controller that would end friendships if you tried to inflict it on someone at a birthday party to pilot a submarine is really funny

this piece of poo poo controller doesn't let you wavedash OR empty the ballast tank, loving useless!!!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

smoobles posted:

If it sank, there's no way in a million years it'll ever be found, so we'll all have to speculate whether they died quickly or slowly and horrifically. Schrodinger's sub.
the ideal outcome, considering the submersible can't be opened from inside, is for it to wash up ashore in Haiti so that some lucky locals can spend quality time on the beach peering through the tiny porthole while watching rich white people beg for their lives

rip the crew and the researcher i guess but you can't make a revolutionary omelet etc

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mola Yam posted:

every ship is a submarine

once

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

there was a whole NatGeo series exploring this concept

I remember watching that show on history channel it was cool and poorly animated

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

Number (of meters below the surface) go up!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/FnpMarieOH/status/1670931677013524487?s=20

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

I was thinking about that. People simply do not understand how mindfuckingly big the ocean is. Unless they (or their debris) are bobbing merrily along on the surface like the I Dream of Jeannie space capsule we will never know what happened. Imagine trying to find a BB in Yankee Stadium, in the dark, where the BB can be anywhere on the Y-axis.

God speed to the latest entry on the “Good Billionaire” list.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol if the only reason it failed was because they used bluetooth connectivity for the controller and couldn't pair it. gg bluetooth

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Slowly suffocating in a small metal cylinder is literally one of my worst nightmares

And they paid for it

yeah but $250,000 to them is like a penny to us so did they really pay for it? I won’t even pick a quarter up now

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It took 74 years to find the Titanic and people KNEW where it sank.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

FlapYoJacks posted:

It took 74 years to find the Titanic and people KNEW where it sank.

there's a billionaire at stake here

the US Navy is already on the way

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maed posted:

yeah but $250,000 to them is like a penny to us so did they really pay for it? I won’t even pick a quarter up now

Apparently some of the people who go on this stupid tour are just mega Titanic fans who re-mortgage their home to see the real deal up close.

That movie broke a lot of brains.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Hubbert posted:

there's a billionaire at stake here

the US Navy is already on the way

After some reading it looks like the max depth recorded for a Naval submarine is around 1,500 - 2,000~ feet. The deepest underwater rescue was at 1,575 feet in 1973.

Even if they find the sub they are mega hosed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

After some reading it looks like the max depth of any Naval submarine is around 1,500 - 2,000~ feet. The deepest underwater rescue was at 1,575 feet in 1973.

Yeah some US admiral was talking about how they're basically hosed given the timeframe.

You can't just teleport deep sea rescue teams to the location, there are like three in the entire world and two of them are probably blowing up pipelines somewhere.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
And they launched in stormy weather lmfao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

wash bucket posted:

Look I know there's grift in there.

It's literally all grift that may or may not include something resembling a product.

And I imagine the xbox 360 controllers were probably an upgrade from the 70s-era hardware they had been using, I think people have outright said that it's mostly because they were like 'our recruits are bamboozled by an ancient remote control but actually know what this thing is'.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

FlapYoJacks posted:

And they launched in stormy weather lmfao

that was part of the innovation, that stupid raft with the 4 side buoyancy tanks was so they could submerge it 30 feet before launching it to get around rough seas

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Project Azorian 2, with Elon funding the Glomusk Explorer

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FlapYoJacks posted:

After some reading it looks like the max depth recorded for a Naval submarine is around 1,500 - 2,000~ feet. The deepest underwater rescue was at 1,575 feet in 1973.

Assuming the submarine's intact (lol) and found in time (also lol) then floating it should, broadly, be possible with some creative ROV shenanigans. Deep sea cable maintenance is a thing after all. Long odds though. The engineers responsible would end up rightfully legendary. I just don't see how it'd be physically possible to get anyone out of it while it's still underwater.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
it's possible, with how janky this thing is, that they "just" lost comms and successfully surfaced and are bobbing around somewhere in a sealed vat

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Complications posted:

Game controllers are literally standard for submarines. This particular model does seem like a bad idea though.

F35s cost a lot because of all the scalpers running up the price of those limited edition xbox controllers

what is it about danes and hobby subs

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah some US admiral was talking about how they're basically hosed given the timeframe.

You can't just teleport deep sea rescue teams to the location, there are like three in the entire world and two of them are probably blowing up pipelines somewhere.

why not, they do poo poo like that in the marvel
movies all the time

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Just gonna drop this link about a diver telling the story and sharing footage of the Jascon 5 deep sea rescue. It's incredibly badass. The lengths the rescuers went through to get ships cook off the bottom of the ocean restores some faith in humanity. Also the decompression stuff is pretty wild.

https://youtu.be/9bh2h2x6u18

Umm yeah and something something economy too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Just gonna drop this link about a diver telling the story and sharing footage of the Jascon 5 deep sea rescue. It's incredibly badass. The lengths the rescuers went through to get ships cook off the bottom of the ocean restores some faith in humanity. Also the decompression stuff is pretty wild.

https://youtu.be/9bh2h2x6u18

Umm yeah and something something economy too

And that was at 230 feet. 10,000 less than the Titanic lol

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

Whats 10000 feet? I can walk that in 30 minutes.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

FlapYoJacks posted:

Yeah I think saturation divers max out at 1000 feet or so. Pretty wild how they have to stay under pressure for weeks at a time and have all of their meals delivered to their pressure chamber by airlock.

I'm probably wearing my stupidity on my sleeves here but most people crossing an ocean on a boat or even going reasonably far from land have an EPIRB (emergency position indication radio beacon) on them as they're pretty much the only way you're ever going to get found if something goes wrong on a crossing. They're not terribly expensive and there are handheld units that can transmit for days. Is there some reason they wouldn't have something similar on a sub or does radio not go through water or something?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

They're not terribly expensive and there are handheld units that can transmit for days. Is there some reason they wouldn't have something similar on a sub or does radio not go through water or something?

But then a ticket would cost $250,010

Ain't nobody paying that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Don't the Ukrainians have a dive team that could help out?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

An example for anyone who doesn't get this:

Imagine a simple 2 way radio. A walkie talkie if you like. Stick the cheapest nastiest walkie talkie electronics inside a 10kg metal shell dating back to Vietnam the size of an 80s VCR that soldiers have to carry around everywhere they go. Done. The metal shell will probably survive long after the delicate bits inside break.

"military hardened"

Military grade is like off the shelf obsolete consumer but a thousand times the cost and several times heavier. More weight equals more better.

Now generalise that to everything else from boots to things that cost you multiples of six or seven digits.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite military hardened item was a mineproof boot. It really was a mineproof boot. Guaranteed to survive a landmine.

The medical cadaver leg wearing it? Basically liquified.

Behold! Your military hardened boot. Guaranteed solid enough to cause you all manner of foot & shin injuries when worn on any surface harder than a foam mattress.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mola Yam posted:

it's possible, with how janky this thing is, that they "just" lost comms and successfully surfaced and are bobbing around somewhere in a sealed vat

Suffocated to death on the surface might be the funniest outcome tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

yep lol