Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Microplastics posted:

Did anyone ITT tell billionaires to get in the sea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Foolish last words

That's not how last words work!!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
How is your new PM? I'm assuming he's outlasted the cabbage.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Microplastics posted:

That's not how last words work!!

I meant famous didn't I? But I had to be a dick about it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cimber posted:

How is your new PM? I'm assuming he's outlasted the cabbage.

Well he's currently in the fuckbarrel for skipping the vote stabbing his predecessor in the back today, so while he outlasted lettuce liz it's still rocky for rishi.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Well he's currently in the fuckbarrel for skipping the vote stabbing his predecessor in the back today, so while he outlasted lettuce liz it's still rocky for rishi.

drat, you guys are having poo poo luck. When is the next scheduled GE and how many seats are labour expected to take? If they win the majority, who would be the new labour PM, and is that likely?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol it won’t be any better if labour win we just have two right wing shithouse parties now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Julio Cruz posted:

for Boris to be PM again he needs the backing of a majority of the MPs of the largest party

which, uh, isn't going to happen

ever

I remember about five years ago when everyone said he was too much of an oafish prick to ever become leader of the Tories in the first place, and then they decided actually it would be good because otherwise Allotment Hitler could win

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Cimber posted:

drat, you guys are having poo poo luck. When is the next scheduled GE and how many seats are labour expected to take? If they win the majority, who would be the new labour PM, and is that likely?

1. Sometime before January 2025
2. More than 326 (a majority)
3. Sentient ham golem Keir "Kieth" Starmer
4. Yes. If they don't win from here it will be a hilarious and historic fuckup

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

sebzilla posted:

4. Yes. If they don't win from here it will be a hilarious and historic fuckup

if your Labour are anything like our democrats I would not be surprised. Our Dems are renowned for the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I meant famous didn't I? But I had to be a dick about it

They still wouldn't be last words!! Further words could be subsequently issued!!!!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cimber posted:

if your Labour are anything like our democrats I would not be surprised. Our Dems are renowned for the ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

There are a lot of people in the UK who are quite literally hoping that Keith 'Keir' Starmer is just being an appalling politician because it's part of some weird master plan to win an election by default. And that, actually, he'll put some good policies in place and things might get better.

To say there's no evidence to suggest that will happen is putting a positive spin on it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Also Sunak has veto power of who can stand for the Tories, so unless he runs as a third party candidate in Borisville, Oxford, he's hosed.

The Tories as a party are finished, and I can see a successful new party (NatC/Reform based) sucking up all the racist and gammon votes, and I can easily see Boris being at the forefront of that. Idiots love him, and we are a nation of loving idiots.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nuclear Spoon posted:

jacob what the gently caress are you talking about

also lmao that he actually got a knighthood for being a snivelling shitlicking dickhead

Man, if Mogg really did get an Irish passport in advance of Brexit as was being reported at the time, it would be hilarious if the Irish Government revoked his Irish citizenship for taking that Knighthood.

Well, I'd laugh at least.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i bet the sir people would be suddenly into pronouns if you refused to call them sir

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Soylent Yellow posted:

4000m below sea level is pretty hostile to human life. At that depth, "comfortable safety margin" is closer to space shuttle launch levels of risk than hopping on a bus to the shops.

I'd take the space shuttle. The pressure differential at 4000m below sea level will be 400 times stronger than the differential a space shuttle has to be designed for, and if something goes wrong, you can tell houston you have a problem, it's technically possible to rescue you in space etc.

Keep in mind most submarines wouldn't dream of ever going that deep. Military subs just chill near the surface, since that's where their targets are, and to design them to go deeper would take away from their military capability. If a military sub got to even a quarter of that depth it would implode, there's no reason for them to even be 1000m below.

These super deep subs are a research or industrial thing, generally. In this case it was a...*checks notes*...private tourism company. Glad to see them helping a billionaire to innovate.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 20, 2023

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Can one of you big city tech wizards insert that "loving hell" into this from that one episode of Father Ted

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

With all the technology we've got I dunno why we don't just sort out the oceans. Like go down there sand reduced the pressure or whatever. It's loving laughable

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cimber posted:

Labour seem to be worse than the democrats these days tbh, mostly due to the UK having much stronger top down control of the party leading to Starmer ousting the Good Labour Pols

I gather if I lived in the UK I'd be voting snp even if I lived in Cornwall and had to run for the slot myselr

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
funny thing about the world's densest billionaire* is that he's done multiple genuinely tricky submarine rides, you'd think he'd take one look at this operation and go "lol good luck guys"

* may not actually be billionaire, it's frankly tricky enough to find detailed info about the investment group he started in 02

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

are they particularly dodgy looking?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Labour seem to be worse than the democrats these days tbh, mostly due to the UK having much stronger top down control of the party leading to Starmer ousting the Good Labour Pols

I gather if I lived in the UK I'd be voting snp even if I lived in Cornwall and had to run for the slot myselr

In Cornwall there's the Kernow independence movement at least is a decent movement (ignore the right-wing paramilitary folks who suck and should gently caress off).

But yes the UK Labour Party are actually running to the right of the Democrats right now, thanks mostly to the US progressive caucus being really strong, and the UK Labour Party being dogshit fartfuckers.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pray for me, goons - my wife and I came down particularly quickly with what we assume is norovirus, barely made it through putting the kids to bed and now at 2am the 3 year old was sick twice. I hope the 1 year old is ok :(

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that's not the news I'd like to see as I head off to bed - I hope all of you are fine and that those who do have to expunge can do so in a timely manner that doesn't lead to horrible cleanup afterwards. Condolences and best wishes...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
After a 3 year Covid delay looks like my mom is finally going through with marrying an old tory and moving to Torquay

I’m really scared and I don’t want my mom to turn into a weird old english person

Do normal people live in Torquay? Are old property owners among the normals?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 20, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kind of want to know who the magificent seven were. Guessing Nadine Dorries MP, Boris Johnson MP, The Rt Hon Jeremy Bribable MP, several entries for Mr Nosnhoj (MP for way over there), and Sir Kier Starmer KC and the sunshine band.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

A shameful billionaire who goes to sea in a mere submersible and not an impossibly fantastic vessel akin to the Nautilus, Lief Ericsson or Ulysses (from Disneys Atlantis the Lost Empire)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Kind of want to know who the magificent seven were. Guessing Nadine Dorries MP, Boris Johnson MP, The Rt Hon Jeremy Bribable MP, several entries for Mr Nosnhoj (MP for way over there), and Sir Kier Starmer KC and the sunshine band.
Bill Cash, Nick Fletcher, Adam Holloway, Karl McCartney, Joy Morrissey, Heather Wheeler, plus one more who i haven't seen listed for some reason

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kingturnip posted:

There are a lot of people in the UK who are quite literally hoping that Keith 'Keir' Starmer is just being an appalling politician because it's part of some weird master plan to win an election by default. And that, actually, he'll put some good policies in place and things might get better.

Oh god, the smug sneering from the pompous old Guardian commenters whenever someone suggests that this might not be the case. I mean, he's only said explicitly that he's not going to do anything good, words backed by his entire behaviour and career to date. But we've got to Get The Tories Out and not worry our heads about what would come next!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Man, if Mogg really did get an Irish passport in advance of Brexit as was being reported at the time, it would be hilarious if the Irish Government revoked his Irish citizenship for taking that Knighthood.

Well, I'd laugh at least.

Has this ever happened tho? Massive bellend "Sir" Bob Geldof is still an Irish citizen to my knowledge, although I think he was stripped of the Freedom of Dublin honour for being a cock so that's something.

Speaking of citizenship, my wife's cousin (and de facto sibling) and all round great bloke is getting naturalised today after 20 years as a refugee on Ireland from the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Boston,MA. We wish him well.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

His Divine Shadow posted:

See to me they're neither. I call them "krankar" or "satans helvetes krankjävlar" and I thought it translated to midges.

I thought "krankar" meant those harmless idiot long-legged things that just can't find their way out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

After a 3 year Covid delay looks like my mom is finally going through with marrying an old tory and moving to Torquay

I’m really scared and I don’t want my mom to turn into a weird old english person

Do normal people live in Torquay? Are old property owners among the normals?

I think your mother is turning into the worst kind of english, an expat.

E: just learned torquay is in england not somewhere in europe, but it is in the south so that is almost as bad.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 20, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Torquay is definitely the kind of place that will calcify all right wing opinions if you live there. It's a pretty sad place these days - a lot of deprivation, and consistent underfunding of all public services by the resolutely tory local government.

There also are very few non-White people there either, so it's extremely easy to blame the nefarious foreigns for all your ills.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How deep can orcas swim and do they have a submarine policy

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

How deep can orcas swim and do they have a submarine policy

a boat is a boat is a boat imo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So the Sub the billionaires paid millions to go to the bottom of the ocean in is a cobbled together piece of poo poo operated by a Logitech Mad Katz game controller lmao

https://twitter.com/ecto_fun/status/1670945751206117376?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought "krankar" meant those harmless idiot long-legged things that just can't find their way out

That's a "harakrank" here, or Harkrank in "high swedish". It's a dialectal word, the word even has it's own article here
https://www.sprakinstitutet.fi/sv/publikationer/sprakspalter/pa_tal_om_sprak_2015/myggor_och_krankar.24419.news

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I think your mother is turning into the worst kind of english, an expat.

E: just learned torquay is in england not somewhere in europe, but it is in the south so that is almost as bad.

This is why football is essential. Like half the places in England I can name are because of hearing their name in the classified football results at Saturday dinner time

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
One of my most lefty friends in her 40s lives in Torquay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

smellmycheese posted:

So the Sub the billionaires paid millions to go to the bottom of the ocean in is a cobbled together piece of poo poo operated by a Logitech Mad Katz game controller lmao

But think of the increased profit margin achieved by such innovative cost cutting streamlining measures! I'm sure the billionaire can understand