Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

If we're really lucky theyll find it in 10 years bobbing around the cape of good hope still sealed.

Porpoise With A Purpose has issued a correction as of 09:05 on Jun 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Suffocated to death on the surface might be the funniest outcome tbh

Found washed up on an African beach 2 years from now. Still sealed.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

FlapYoJacks posted:

Metroid Dread iirc.
https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1446653995808866306

As a PC gamer I can emphasize with his predicament.

Jon Pod Van Damm has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Jun 20, 2023

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I've been thinking about groversub all day

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

what is stuck in my mind at the moment is the pretty 3d renderings of the prototype with the iris effects and the portal looking like a pupil and the photos of it looking almost nothing like it with warped bolted on outer hull and the back of my pc x20 wired and stapled to the outside like it's not an issue

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

i bet it's like a david mamet play in that tube about now

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Huh weird I don't see a bunch of stapled on wires and tubes and random poo poo bolted onto this submersible did these guys do it wrong?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

At which point do you suppose the realization sets in that they have 96 hours of air for 5 people, so if they all agreed to team up and kill one of the others, they could stretch the air longer? And then how much longer before they do it again? And who are they picking, and what are their arguments and promises?

"We can't kill the pilot, but we could kill the historian. Pilot, we're all rich, help us kill the historian and we'll pay you when we surface."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Crazypoops posted:

Huh weird I don't see a bunch of stapled on wires and tubes and random poo poo bolted onto this submersible did these guys do it wrong?

Subnautica DLC doesn't count.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

SlimGoodbody posted:

At which point do you suppose the realization sets in that they have 96 hours of air for 5 people, so if they all agreed to team up and kill one of the others, they could stretch the air longer? And then how much longer before they do it again? And who are they picking, and what are their arguments and promises?

"We can't kill the pilot, but we could kill the historian. Pilot, we're all rich, help us kill the historian and we'll pay you when we surface."

They're rich. they'd be able to pilot it through Superior Work Ethic

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1446653995808866306

As a PC gamer I can emphasize with his predicament.

Lmao euphronius

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw for quality you don't want military grade as mentioned, you want NASA grade

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Medical grade if its something touching your skin.

Military grade will probably dissolve your skin and cause you serious health problems in a couple decades.

Aerospace grade if you want light, functional and don't mind the cost.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

Lmao euphronius

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw for quality you don't want military grade as mentioned, you want NASA grade

Report of the PRESIDENTIAL COMMISSION on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident; Volume 2: Appendix F - Personal Observations on Reliability of Shuttle, by Richard P. Feynman

EDIT: shoutout to forums user Spaced God

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

Suffocated to death on the surface might be the funniest outcome tbh

The funniest outcome would be if this happened and then the orcas found it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Looks like the other two paying customers on the Titan are/were also (near) billionaires:

"British businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son, Suleman, are among those aboard the missing submersible, according to a statement from the Engro Corporation, of which Mr. Dawood is a vice chairman. Mr. Dawood is a scion of one of Pakistan’s wealthiest families, with a background in textiles and fertilizer manufacturing.

Mr. Dawood and his son had “embarked on a journey to visit the remnants of the Titanic” when contact with the vessel was lost, the statement said, asking for prayers for their safe return and privacy for the family.

Mr. Dawood is also on the board of trustees for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute. The organization said on its website that he was a resident of the United Kingdom, and a father of two children."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

suleman the crushdepthicent

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Mr. Deadwood

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

250k t get into a trash can hooked up to a gateway 2000

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I ended beating a few bosses before I got bored ok

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

euphronius it’s okay you were just posting

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nuclear War posted:

They're rich. they'd be able to pilot it through Superior Work Ethic

Yeah 100% theyre killing the only person capable of doing any work first.

I gotta say though, this submersible is a good Black Mirror promo.

What if submersible, but too much?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 12:08 on Jun 20, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wonder if getting in that garbage can voided their life insurance policies

maybe

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Vox Nihili posted:

he was a resident of the United Kingdom, and a father of two children."

Looks like someone's inheritance just doubled

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

There used to be a thread on these forums for making fun of rich people dying on Everest. I believe it got taken down for being "too insensitive" but this was about 5 years ago, I wonder if it would be treated the same in 2023. Laughing directly at the wealthy when they die or suffer from their own hubris is all we're going to get, enjoy it.

How does Biehn get mentioned without Navy Seals, that movie is psychotic but an accurate depiction of our best warriors. Racist and bloodthirsty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

703 posted:

Looks like someone's inheritance just doubled

according to BBC it was a father and son on the trip so even bigger for that fam

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gorson posted:

How does Biehn get mentioned without Navy Seals, that movie is psychotic but an accurate depiction of our best warriors. Racist and bloodthirsty.

he was also Johnny Ringo in Tombstone and the lead SEAL who gets blasted in The Rock.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

That Works posted:

according to BBC it was a father and son on the trip so even bigger for that fam

…post-series ARG for succession looking nautical

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

I wonder if getting in that garbage can voided their life insurance policies

maybe

As someone who works in life insurance I guarantee you their lawyers are working around the clock trying to find the loophole that makes this work.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If the don't find a body doesn't he have to be missing for like 10 years before any inheritance gets processed? It occurs to me I don't know how inheritance works in these cases

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
there’s going to be so many lawsuits just from the company’s SOP response to losing the sub is going radio quiet to prevent passengers from telling the world

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

the lead SEAL who gets blasted in The Rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_OTOkDtRk

it's such a great scene

STAND FAST!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
that drat submarine was the most effective weapon in class warfare since the guillotine

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brimruk posted:

As someone who works in life insurance I guarantee you their lawyers are working around the clock trying to find the loophole that makes this work.

ain’t never going to find the bodies so that helps

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Koirhor posted:

that drat submarine was the most effective weapon in class warfare since the guillotine

comrade titanic delivers yet again.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

don't forget our friend the helicopter

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

mao was after the guillotine

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

euphronius posted:

ain’t never going to find the bodies so that helps

yah that’s the other thing, can’t have a cod if he’s still out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

It does have a viewing port on the front.

not anymore it doesn't