Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

kyojin posted:

Yeah probably, my criticism is that you've now got a more developed plan than Keith does
To be fair, anyone in this thread could make a more developed plan in 10 minutes, for anything he has proposed.

crepeface posted:

this was ages ago, and i already posted the fiona hill quote about it, but putin just pulled out the signed document (thread)

https://twitter.com/onlydjole/status/1670141702797967361?s=20
I'm gonna use all my powers of media literacy to hold off on believing that until we get more than a video of Putin holding papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm gonna use all my powers of media literacy to hold off on believing that until we get more than a video of Putin holding papers.

you can click the thread and engage all your powers of media literacy at your command

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

He has in his hand a piece of paper, eh?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Falcorum posted:

I once returned to the UK via Luton airport and the screens, that in a normal airport would display arrivals/departures/luggage info, were instead displaying ads for bangers and mash

Check out the football stadium.nowntheybjist got promoted to the premier league

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Party Boat posted:

He has in his hand a piece of paper, eh?
ukraine could strike the uk with weapons of mass destruction within 45 minutes

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

genericnick posted:

It's not people's anger, it's the press. Because, as CT wrote, it's harmless to get people mad at this as opposed to anything that actually affects them.

I get what you and CT are saying, but as a non resident who gets most of my reads of the public from my friends still back in the UK or expats here, they all seem very pissed at the parties and don't talk about the truly heinous stuff

That's probably part of that whole "the media will not be discussing these things", but for many folks they'll get their anger signals from the press.

Yes my friends are libs :smith:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Telluric Whistler posted:

https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status/1668815022003298310

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

crepeface posted:

you can click the thread and engage all your powers of media literacy at your command

Wasn't that when the Ukrainians shot their own chief negotiator lol.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wasn't that when the Ukrainians shot their own chief negotiator lol.

yep

Gripweed posted:

400 pound a month for a train pass? Is that like the super fancy one that lets you take unlimited bullet train trips all over the country?

lol of course not this is just unlimited journeys (i.e. commute) from A to B where the journey is like 40 minutes

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tickets-railcards-and-offers/ticket-types/season-ticket-calculator/

note that in other countries it's customary for your employer to cover your travel for office jobs

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

note that in other countries it's customary for your employer to cover your travel for office jobs

good news, every london commuting jobs I've had, my employer has offered to cover...an interest free loan for the pass.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the savings on the pass are so marginal that if you miss a few days of commuting for whatever reason, you would have been better off just buying a ticket every day

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
When I commuted from Luton I had two season tickets, one to Harpenden and a zone 1 travel card

Betjeman has issued a correction as of 12:25 on Jun 20, 2023

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

2016 me thought "london is super expensive and i hate it, surely I can just live like an hour outside and commute in on the cheap" lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Harpenden Harpenden Harpenden

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't know enough about either to say for certain but since this was the original question, this map purports to be the London metro over the New York metro to show how much bigger London is.

Per this: the new york metropolitan area is 860 quare miles, greater london is 1572.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Telluric Whistler posted:

I get what you and CT are saying, but as a non resident who gets most of my reads of the public from my friends still back in the UK or expats here, they all seem very pissed at the parties and don't talk about the truly heinous stuff

That's probably part of that whole "the media will not be discussing these things", but for many folks they'll get their anger signals from the press.

Oh yeah, I was gonna write that as an addendum, what the media pushes becomes reality for like 80% of people here at least.

It was uncanny seeing it in proper effect in the corbyn years

What generally happens is people start with a reasonably good idea of what's going wrong then the media diverts their attention to parties or small boats or drag queen story hour and then after a month or two of saturation they've totally forgotten their original stance and now all their opinions are about drag queens arriving in boats and whether that should be allowed or not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NY metro area is like 7000 sq miles

you don’t even have all of nyc in there

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

euphronius posted:

NY metro area is like 7000 sq miles

you don’t even have all of nyc in there

Cool. I literally just googled nyc vs london metro size and posted. pwnage for me imo. Multiple sites have the figures I quoted, which I'm sure are true in some specific way

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

projecthalaxy posted:

Cool. I literally just googled nyc vs london metro size and posted. pwnage for me imo. Multiple sites have the figures I quoted, which I'm sure are true in some specific way

Google can't even decide. I looked it up and it said 3,450.2 sq mi and 4669 sq mi.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Okay, so I think I've figured out by just googling "new york" plus the relative numbers, that the specific way they lied is using the physical size (783 sq km/301 sq mi) of the five boroughs, but the population of the metropolitan economic area, but then both figures for the London economic area. Sneaky!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

projecthalaxy posted:

Per this: the new york metropolitan area is 860 quare miles, greater london is 1572.

oh, aye, right quare, the lot of em

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

euphronius posted:

why did they switch to elections after 5 years

seems to undermine the government if a lame duck parliament is on power for so long

It was because the government at the time was a coalition, and the junior party (who nobody can remember the name of) was worried that their partner would call a snap election the instant the poll swung a few points in their favour. which in fairness they probably would have done otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh that makes sense I guess

sorry for the what is metro nyc derail above

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1671160943005556736?t=gtLVWdoQZqUQxfh9s4fZXQ&s=19

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R

Jakabite posted:

Harpenden Harpenden Harpenden

Harpenden is the main nerve of the English middle class dream. Like Las Vegas in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Communist Thoughts posted:

drag queens arriving in boats and whether that should be allowed or not
should be mandatory imo

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

kecske posted:

the savings on the pass are so marginal that if you miss a few days of commuting for whatever reason, you would have been better off just buying a ticket every day

it's just about worth it if you're at work, in person, 5 days a week and you go out in London a lot at weekends -- but London's nightlife isn't worth travelling in for these days anyway. Unless, god help you, you live in Luton.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

The correct thing to do would be to grab a gu... Ohhhhh! Right. It's you guys. Sorry, never mind.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Buck Wildman posted:

"how is Britannia doing" I wonder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m08lD-YH-Q

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

No coz theyr the other team, they have to be a real alternative otherwise our whole democratic monarchy is a sham

Incestuous, satanic Nazi monarchy is real

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lords reform coming on well

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Google can't even decide. I looked it up and it said 3,450.2 sq mi and 4669 sq mi.

Are those the new AI enhanced searches I've been hearing about?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Oh yeah, I was gonna write that as an addendum, what the media pushes becomes reality for like 80% of people here at least.

It was uncanny seeing it in proper effect in the corbyn years

What generally happens is people start with a reasonably good idea of what's going wrong then the media diverts their attention to parties or small boats or drag queen story hour and then after a month or two of saturation they've totally forgotten their original stance and now all their opinions are about drag queens arriving in boats and whether that should be allowed or not

Yeah. And obviously you can't expect none weirdos to remember what the bullshit yesterday was. I'd say for the vast majority politics news is just a random topic to drop while stuffing your face in the canteen with colleagues. Could be the weather.

Wonder if you get banned from Twitter if you shop a Telegram armband on Boris Johnson

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

genericnick posted:

Yeah. And obviously you can't expect none weirdos to remember what the bullshit yesterday was. I'd say for the vast majority politics news is just a random topic to drop while stuffing your face in the canteen with colleagues. Could be the weather.

as long as house prices keep going up the rest is gravy

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

genericnick posted:

Wonder if you get banned from Twitter if you shop a Telegram armband on Boris Johnson

The few times I actually post on twitter I get a warning for using the word 'idiot'. So yeah, probably.

Words like stupid and doofus are fine, though.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Asking about inflation in the most convoluted way possible

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f08c081c5bb50aa

Just ask: if inflation is halved, do prices go up or down?

Edit: they did! 23% got it right.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...f0890e11a2beade

domhal has issued a correction as of 11:24 on Jun 21, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The second one is misleading, if annual inflation is halved in the next six months, it means that prices potentially went down or remained stagnant, depending on if the previous inflation was front-loaded or back-loaded.

e.g.

Jun 2022 £0.99 -> Dec 2022 £1.00 -> Jan. 2023 £1.025 -> Feb. 2023 £1.055 -> Mar. 2023 £1.05 -> Apr. 2023 £1.06 -> May 2023 £1.07 -> Jun. 2023 £1.10 -> Dec. 2023 £1.05

Means that prices are lower in December 2023 than in June 2023 (£1.05 vs £1.10), but annual inflation is still positive in December 2023 (5%).

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 11:42 on Jun 21, 2023

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Private Speech posted:

The second one is misleading, if annual inflation is halved in the next six months, it means that prices potentially went down or remained stagnant, depending on if the previous inflation was front-loaded or back-loaded.

e.g.

Jun 2022 £0.99 -> Dec 2022 £1.00 -> Jan. 2023 £1.025 -> Feb. 2023 £1.055 -> Mar. 2023 £1.05 -> Apr. 2023 £1.06 -> May 2023 £1.07 -> Jun. 2023 £1.10 -> Dec. 2023 £1.05

Means that prices are lower in December 2023 than in June 2023 (£1.05 vs £1.10), but annual inflation is still positive in December 2023 (5%).

the question is poorly worded for this kind of technicality (because nobody in the UK media has gcse-level knowledge of econ) but your answer does require that you assume the current inflation is front loaded, the next year is back loaded, and/or you're allowed to end the observation on 1st jan 2024 since six months from present is technically next year. I dont think any of these are reasonable for the question.

adding this level of complexity is not exactly going to help a public that clearly doesnt understand how balloons work, and since there's no option for "impossible to say without more data" the answer is "more"

e; calculating on a fixed month technically allows you to have jun 2024 be £1.08 and dec 2024 to be £1.07 and meet the target so you can drop either the back ended or rolling assumptions but this is tory maths

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Jun 21, 2023

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pipski posted:

but London's nightlife isn't worth travelling in for these days anyway.

You'd think that London would have the best nightlife in the UK, and you'd be very wrong.

Obviously, it's prohibitively expensive to go out in London but it's also pretty poo poo, for several reasons:

1) Lack of pub/bar clusters. Ideally when you go out, you want to go to an area with a whole bunch of good places in close proximity. London has good places of course, but they're all miles away from each other.

2) Huge numbers of foreign tourists/ visitors from elsewhere in the UK mean that very few places have anything approaching a 'local' crowd of regulars. Any bar you go to will be populated by a disparate bunch of groups, all of whom have never been there before. Hurts the atmosphere.

3) Everywhere halfway decent is absolutely rammed, every night, so most of your time is spent queueing for the bar, trying to get to the toilets, or pausing your shouted conversation to squeeze to one side as the latest 20-strong convey of tourists files past to individually order drinks. And if you're a dedicated clubber who likes to go out at midnight, forget it: no chance of getting into most venues after 10pm.

This was my essay about why going out in London is actually a bit poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1671444334518886402