Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Just supreme overconfidence in your decision-making to the point where you go "yeah I'll get into this garbage can controlled by a MadCatz controller and go to the bottom of the ocean I have no doubts about this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

f ben dreyfuss, this story just keeps getting funnier

https://twitter.com/burgerkrang/status/1671159594155126784

https://twitter.com/burgerkrang/status/1671162566150877186?s=20

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

America, the land of plenty.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1671182642765611009

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Brimruk posted:

Why is this guy so defensive about billionaires on submersibles??

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1671152733393649666?s=20

because he’s probably a pedophile

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Everything is bigger in Texas
(including blackouts)

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
everything is so loving stupid and humanity absolutely deserves the concentrated agony we're about to really get into the groove with

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

conserving energy is for cucks —— don’t listen to ERCOT!!!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

gently caress these submarine people for thinking they were too good to die on everest like the rest of us

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the CEO was at the controller

he never learned the Armored Core grip I guess

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ercot is gonna strike a deal with the Bitcoin miners to pay them to shut off their warehouses and then bill customers the difference

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Ercot is gonna strike a deal with the Bitcoin miners to pay them to shut off their warehouses and then bill customers the difference

There’s no striking a deal required, ERCOT’s electricity market is set up to ensure that the bitcoin miners get top dollar for doing it.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

FlapYoJacks posted:

If humans disappeared in a day the world would be on fire and a radioactive wasteland a year later. Maybe a few thousand years later it would be safe again for life.

Nuclear meltdowns aren't that destructive in the grand scheme of things and most npps have been designed to automatically shutdown in failure conditions (like unattended operation)

A few plants would certainly meltdown and make a few thousand square kilometers useless but for the most part earth would be fine

Nuclear fears have been overblown by the many industries that are deeply threatened by nuclear power.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Gravid Topiary posted:

i bet it's like a david mamet play in that tube about now

in that the tube occupants have been compressed to the volume of several hundred bound pages, yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

coal not being burned anymore would be so good for health lol. it would be incredible.

coal power kills thousands of people a year

maybe more

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

If humans disappeared in a day the world would be on fire and a radioactive wasteland a year later. Maybe a few thousand years later it would be safe again for life.

Hahahaha what? My dude that's not how things work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

doesn’t all the nuclear waste in the world fit on a tennis court or something

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just put the nuclear waste into a volcano

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

probably, but it'd be sun surface level hot at that density lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
just put it in a shipping container and send it to the moon

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

smoobles posted:

man.. build your sub with safety features my guy.

we actually had a whole maritime disaster that symbolizes this concept.

Doesn't sound very cost effective, the most important part of any vessel.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

euphronius posted:

According to a quick Google, the amount of nuclear waste in the world is estimated ~250,000 kg. That works out to 30 cubic meters of waste.

As for other power plants, let's take a look at coal:

gem.wiki posted:

The 1.05 billion tons of coal burned each year in the United States contain 109 tons of mercury, 7884 tons of arsenic, 1167 tons of beryllium, 750 tons of cadmium, 8810 tons of chromium, 9339 tons of nickel, and 2587 tons of selenium. On top of emitting 1.9 billion tons of carbon dioxide each year, coal-fired power plants in the United States also create 120 million tons of toxic waste. That means each of the nation's 500 coal-fired power plants produces an average 240,000 tons of toxic waste each year. A power plant that operates for 40 years will leave behind 9.6 million tons of toxic waste.

Beg pardon if that source sucks.

mycomancy has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Jun 20, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wasn’t there an 1980s kids movie where they used a trash dumpster as a space ship

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t 30 cubic meters like the volume of a shipping container

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mycomancy posted:

According to a quick Google, the amount of nuclear waste in the world is estimated ~250,000 kg. That works out to 30 cubic meters of waste.

looks like a 40 ft shipping container would be perfect

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

isn’t 30 cubic meters like the volume of a shipping container

yeh i just double checked it lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
you could probably fit it in a 20 footer but it might exceed the weight capacity

Morbus
May 18, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

Even if that was true (it isn't lmao), imagine looking at The Earth and being all "woah there...better be careful...this could really gently caress poo poo up for one thousand years!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

euphronius posted:

wasn’t there an 1980s kids movie where they used a trash dumpster as a space ship

Yes and it was the inspiration for a submarine company in the present.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Well that's too bad but those people need jobs. We can't just pay them to do nothing, that would be insane. We need to pay them to gently caress All My poo poo Up instead

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mycomancy posted:

Beg pardon if that source sucks.

i vaguely recall that per unit energy coal produces more radioactive waste than a fission reactor

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

euphronius posted:

yeah it was called star trek

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
slowly coming to despise computer touchers and the people who fund them:v:

https://twitter.com/BleepinComputer/status/1670842524896772096?t=AfvEFxrDAVPD_VTv0dmuzg&s=19

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

i vaguely recall that per unit energy coal produces more radioactive waste than a fission reactor

If my source is accurate, 120 MILLION tons of toxic waste is produced by just the US every year. That's ~108 million metric tons made by 350 million people every. loving. year. and we're 100% cool with that. All the nuke power in the world only generates ~2000 metric tons of waste a year. That's 54,000 times less waste volume.

Anti-nuclear power is unscientific and counterrevolutionary.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

disappearing in a tiny submarine in the ocean would be a really good way to fake your death

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

computer touchers are beneath contempt. absolutely disgusting wretches.

--a computer toucher. gently caress.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

conserving energy is for cucks —— don’t listen to ERCOT!!!

Should roll some coal in response imo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

immaculate stepson vibes

Nah, immaculate rich rear end in a top hat vibes. As a step father my son calls me dad and would be devestated if he learned I was dumb enough to put myself into a tomb controlled by a Logitech controller.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I think it's missing a few key items.

Wouldn't want to go anywhere without my leather jacket and hard currency.

wow the gamersnexus guy looked badass 20 years ago

yeah let's ask texans to voluntarily reduce energy consumption, that'll sure work

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

computer touchers are beneath contempt. absolutely disgusting wretches.

--a computer toucher. gently caress.

im in new hire orientation and the computer toucher telling us all how to put signatures into our outlook email went on a random tangent about how he's a mechanical engineer by trade and actually, harbor freight tools are not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/BleepinComputer/status/1668921269591441408?t=uuueQ2tZyJBnXLE-jeyszw&s=19