Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Aw, let me dream :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Valentin posted:

that said, did i mark out when OoT death mountain showed up in the geoglyph flashbacks?

Wait what???

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Poque posted:

That root is so high up in the depths and the corresponding shrine is so low in the overworld that the sensor can pick it up.

Hilarious, that would do it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It turns out one of the best tools to fight bosses is the steering stick. (spoilers start around the 6 minute mark if you are early in the game and also I recommend turning the sound off because they add constant dumb sound effects)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GmW_Pi2PE

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
I was running around in a cave trying to find a shrine, climbed up on the wall, got stuck in the water plane from the nearby river outside the cave, and drowned in midair. It was cool to know that the game keeps track of things outside even when you’re in a cave rather than silently deloading everything at some threshold (I guess they’d have to keep track of everything for Ascend to work anyway, maybe?).

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Dueling Peak stable now has a lovely sunrise picture.

Unfortunately it's a bit spoiled by the daft water ghost in the corner. Useless bellend.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The evidence is BotW, and how they completely avoid showing you that post-Calamity Ganon world state before Zelda does her thing.

It is now currently a closed loop and it is a partially erased/healed timeline because of it. BotW absolutely happened with all it's crazy Sheikah and Calamity Ganon nonsense, but also now TotK happened and overwrote some of that.

Zelda's full title is the Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit and you are meant to enjoy the ride.

We're all ignoring the true Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit, the dude who cleared out Link's extradimensional wardrobe and dumped the contents in dozens of chests in caves all over Hyrule long enough ago that his signal banners are all manky and faded and his exploits are the stuff of rumour; Misko the Fashion Bandit.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

repiv posted:

it's weird how they had BOTWs DLC completely laid out before the game even launched but we haven't heard a peep about TOTK DLC

there's always the wildcard of "inexplicably no DLC even though it would totally make sense" like they pulled with mario odyssey

Given the higher number of shrines in TotK, the fifth dungeon & sage, and a couple other bits and pieces that feel expansion-y, I wonder if in their extra year of dev time they decided to just roll what would have been DLC into the base game and release it as one complete package.

Or maybe they'll announce a DLC pass in tomorrow's Direct

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Runcible Cat posted:

We're all ignoring the true Sage of Timey-Wimey Bullshit, the dude who cleared out Link's extradimensional wardrobe and dumped the contents in dozens of chests in caves all over Hyrule long enough ago that his signal banners are all manky and faded and his exploits are the stuff of rumour; Misko the Fashion Bandit.

Misko is actually Link

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All I want from DLC is an actual drat Spirit Temple :bahgawd:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the midair aim slowdown mechanic is kind of op and stupid. If they nerf it for the sequel in six years I think it would be for the best.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sage S-Link DLC

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

They say in game that the caves only appeared after the upheaval, so he could have only hid all those outfits while Link was sleeping up in the sky.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gambrinus posted:

Dueling Peak stable now has a lovely sunrise picture.

Unfortunately it's a bit spoiled by the daft water ghost in the corner. Useless bellend.

I have the same, wonderful photo of the sunrise with a perfectly framed Korok in the corner. You can practically hear the painting yelling "YA-HA-HA!"

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Runcible Cat posted:

From a lore perspective I dunno how much I like all of the retro zelda game costumes just being around in places.

Like fundamentally I like it, this isn't a real complaint at all, it's really cool and I really enjoy running around in fierce deity armour. 10/10

But there's an element of "video game-iness" to a lot of the rewards being things that definitely shouldn't exist in the world or at least shouldn't be that easy to get a hold of, artifacts of immense significance and power that are now just novelty cosmetics. "Oh hey is that the majora's mask? That seems cool and fine! I'll put that on! This should definitely still exist. Not a concern at all that this hasn't been destroyed and is just here. What a funny mask. Wow I sure am thinking about the moon a lot now"

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Like every single one of them is, effectively, in the underworld. Which is Thematically and Possibly Literally The Underworld, the land of the dead where weird poo poo happens. It's fine.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

bawk posted:

I have the same, wonderful photo of the sunrise with a perfectly framed Korok in the corner. You can practically hear the painting yelling "YA-HA-HA!"

That would haunt my dreams.

Are there fewer Koroks in this? It feels like they are, but perhaps I'm just all koroked out after replaying most of BOTW last month.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Gambrinus posted:

Are there fewer Koroks in this? It feels like they are, but perhaps I'm just all koroked out after replaying most of BOTW last month.

There's actually 100 more, although I'm not sure how that relates to the number of traveling ones that give you 2 seeds.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

Misko is an alias of Zelda, she did it when she was Live Laugh Loving Link's house. We know for sure she did that to at least one of Link's outfits.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Gambrinus posted:

There are 100 more Kooks in TOTK.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Gambrinus posted:

There are 1000 seeds, but 100 of the puzzles give you 2 seeds, so there's technically the same amount.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like having the Goddess Sword and Master Sword at the same time. I should have fused them together to make the Master Master Sword

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mulva posted:

Like every single one of them is, effectively, in the underworld. Which is Thematically and Possibly Literally The Underworld, the land of the dead where weird poo poo happens. It's fine.

Not to mention it’s a thing in many other mediums, too, not just video games. Heck, even the greatest playwrights snuck in references unrelated to the play that the audience of the time would get, even though it would make no sense in the actual world of the play. People love that “I remember that!” feeling.

Video games just let you run around as a pantsless pope instead of having characters joking about a previous real life pope’s pantsless shenanigans (names changed to prevent beheadings) or whatever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Korean: Didn't you hear that you have to go to the site naked? Didn't you say to go out naked, not out "with sober mind"?

“Mehn” means bare, so the order “mehn jungshin” (bare mind) was given and they heard “Mehn mohm” which means bare body

Terrible joke because there’s no way to phonetically confuse mohm and jungshin, but that’s the difficulty of translating jokes

Do you know any Korean puns or I guess homonym jokes?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'm mostly disappointed in the set bonuses for the different costumes. It doesn't matter which outfit you get, any Hero of ____ set is the same defence with the same minor attack up bonus despite them all being pulled from games with radically different central themes/concepts they could pull from. Having the Hero of Sky set give similar individual piece bonuses as the Glide Suit would have been cool, or have the Hero of Twilight give night speed up since wolf link hauled rear end. Even the hardest/most involved one to get, the Awakening Set, gives the same bonus AFAIK. Meanwhile there's the Hero of the Wild set just hanging out in the Depths, with a radically different armor rating and list of upgrade materials. This is all stuff that wouldn't need to be made up whole-cloth, it already exists for other armor sets, and make finding the pieces more interesting. I fully stopped caring after realizing most of that armor was the same.

There's other minor things I could wish for when it comes to set bonuses, like mix-matching outfits for bonuses. Sheikha mask + stealth set = Crit+ as set bonus but still give 3 levels of stealth, adding one of the Treasure helms from the regions should count toward that region's specific armor set bonus. There's some stuff I think would have been cool to include as representation from other games instead, like instead of just another green Tunic for TP, keep it to just the 2 already existing special helms and add the Hawkeye as well, which gives a zoom bonus on any bow, not just the gerudo and sheikha bows. Or make that the set bonus for the Tunic set and give a little added bonus to the cap to represent it.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Wait what???

second geoglyph, the one that looks like a castle/temple, the one where zelda goes oh i am definitely like a million years in the past huh. at the start of the cutscene and in the wide shot of hyrule, what looks like it should be death mountain appears prominently, but instead of cracked and covered in lava like BoTW/ToTK, it's spewing a column of smoke and lava and has OoT's distinctive ring clouds.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 20, 2023

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
is there a way to make combat against silver enemies not a slog

sometimes i just wanna clear a camp without building a bunch of roombas or whatever

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

wyoak posted:

sometimes i just wanna clear a camp without building a bunch of roombas or whatever

Get an eightfold blade, fuse something with a ton of attack power to it.

Shoot, throw, or use Forest Dweller fusion to hit the silver enemy with a puffshroom.

Sneakstrike silver enemies with eightfold blade.

Profit.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

wyoak posted:

Make a 50+ power weapon, zora spear+sidon ability, lynel bow + gibdo bones if you want it to be really easy.

Sneakstrike might be better i never actually used that.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hit the silver enemy with a muddlebud, let him fight a bunch of dudes while you steal their poo poo.

If you're near water, freeze him with white chu chu jelly then use tulin's gust/fan on a stick to push him water

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

No Wave posted:

I think the midair aim slowdown mechanic is kind of op and stupid. If they nerf it for the sequel in six years I think it would be for the best.

It's always OP in games. Horizon Zero Dawn had this and it was really easy to get slow mo time just jumping on flat ground lol, it was never worth not doing slow mo shots, especially since that game rewards hitting pinpoint targets on monsters for extra parts.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Khanstant posted:

It's always OP in games. Horizon Zero Dawn had this and it was really easy to get slow mo time just jumping on flat ground lol, it was never worth not doing slow mo shots, especially since that game rewards hitting pinpoint targets on monsters for extra parts.
I just feel like the amount of slowdown is a little extreme in zelda. Horizon had more of a cooldown IIRC so while the gameplay was often just stalling between shots it was still less op than "down all 3 gleeok heads every time" (granted gleeoks are kinda impossible without abusing slowdown).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably very late on this with this reaction but I was playing late last night in the sky shrine part of the desert labyrinth and that shrine almost gave me a heart attack.

I thought it was weird there were fire berries and arrows on the floor in there but I expected they were there cause they’d be useful in the labyrinth. Good job faking me out after doing like 10 of those blessing shrines in a row before that one, Nintendo.

I fully expect they’ll announce DLC for this game tomorrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Folks emulating the game, has anyone put in tools to have some kind of photo mode? That's one of my biggest complaints about the game, there's so many moments where it either looks really cool or there's something dumb you want to show, and it gets so old having to capture everything with the real-time camera.

There's a screenshot shortcut but nothing like a camera you can float around for neat action shots as of yet.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

:same:

It's kind of a crutch for how hard it is for many people to land shots in real time.

I don't recall it being this OP in BotW, though. Maybe I just never used it. I know I've never watched as many tiktok or youtube videos of other people playing it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if master mode returns in a patch or DLC then hopefully they can find a way to make it actually fun this time, like nerf the obvious cheese strategies such as eating in the middle of combat rather than turning every fight into a slog with regenerating enemies

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's kind of a crutch for how hard it is for many people to land shots in real time.

I don't recall it being this OP in BotW, though. Maybe I just never used it. I know I've never watched as many tiktok or youtube videos of other people playing it.

it was just as op, but it was harder to trigger in BOTW. You basically had to jump off your horse if you didn't have something to climb on. In TOTK you can use a vehicle or even just a steering stick on the ground as well as the mech

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

A reasonable change could be to have it only work for one shot, or to eat more stamina. Keep the ability to make aiming with controller easier, but can’t do it as much.

Then again, I’ve never been great at pulling off the crazy multi-shot wins some people do. I’m lucky to get 1-2 instances of it per fight, and usually only at the start of the fight at that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

make it so it immediately breaks your bow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Khanstant posted:

Nintendo should've embraced that art style in some fashion. I know they can't claim responsibility for any of it, and it's actually kind of hard to find the individuals whose working style it was, but it's got an intensely frenetic charm and life to it that nothing else really captured before or after. Even the few non-zelda games that had hints of that style to them after weren't quite the same, but still good imo. It's forever tied up in memes and youtube poops but whatever, it's a legitimately dope art and animation style. The cutscenes and NPCs I mean, not the janky gameplay stuff.

The thing that reminds me the most of the CDI art style is Pizza Tower, oddly enough.