Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I sort of want to know what O'Brien said, but also I don't want to give even a scrape of ad revenue to the Times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ianbirrell/status/1670836548705632257
I wasn't aware of this until now, but it looks like a lot of Boris' supporters might be getting into trouble :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I sort of want to know what O'Brien said, but also I don't want to give even a scrape of ad revenue to the Times.

Almost any paywalled/fash paper article is auto-archived https://archive.is/B2QdC

The gist of it is that back then they were writing without caring if they offended people and now he's more sensitive about whether what he's doing would upset people and he feels that he would likely have made a different film under those circumstances.

He doesn't ascribe blame to modern snowflakes so much as just observe that people have different sensabilities now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

In other good news…

quote:

There are also separate charges still under investigation which could lead to a separate indictment, including money laundering and trafficking of minors.
NOOONCE

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have ‘explorers’ always just been idle rich cunts looking for something to do or is that just how it works in the modern era

I like reading about Victorian era explorers who seem to be a bunch of rich people who seem to love going to places where black people live to "discover" things then making a series of stupid choice that end in their painful death.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The beloved genre of "the superstitious natives told us not to go there, so naturally we called them all slurs and went there anyway. Yes half the party is now dead, but that's entirely unrelated."

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The line "I'm a sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania" would probably not get written today you do have to admit

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I figure that as he says "It’s become a kind of family favourite, which is very odd when you think about the subject matter we deal with" the people most upset if you made Rocky Horror for the first time in 2023 would be the people protesting non-existent drag shows.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If they made rocky horror today they'd put all the male characters in dresses!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Being a hetro cis male I'm probably not the best judge, but other than some archaic language used around gender Rocky Horror seems like a fairly humane and progressive film about sexuality.

And the Meat Loaf song whips.

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 20, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I don't think anyone who understands the context is offended at a play/character created by a non-binary person using some dated terms in a self-referential or tongue in cheek manner as part of the show. Unless they don't like that a certain level of shock and subversion are an inherent part of queer cinema in which case they should stay well away from all John Waters movies.

The offended parties are, as usual, the same people who were calling it 'degenerate homosexual garbage'* back in the late 70s, now recycling their outrage for trans and drag and other things they can't tell the difference between.

*also probably the name of a lost John Waters movie

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Was Tim Curry's look based on Lou Reed or was it the other way round.

*staunchy refuses to look up any of Lou Reeds later views on gender

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Apparently yeah, it was Curry adapting Reed's look.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Being a hetro cis male I'm probably not the best judge, but other than some archaic language used around gender Rocky Horror seems like a fairly humane and progressive film about sexuality.

Excuse me? Frank is a sexual predator who seduces both halves of a couple by pretending to be their partner and has literally created a personal sex slave to replace his ex-boyfriend who he murdered - twice. He's not exactly a positive portrayal!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Isnt it MI5's job to bump people off that work for rival governemts trying to medle in our buisnes?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I always liked the argument that the big-bearded scientists, explorers and whatnot of yore weren't necessarily geniuses or even that clever, but they had the luxury of time to dedicate to their weird hobbies and that's all you really need.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Turns out all this PC stuff is having some good observable effects.
https://twitter.com/elliemaeohagan/status/1670911425739468803

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Mail have created a handy graphic to show how you curl one out while gazing at the wonders of the ocean

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Is there a chance that the submersible could just flip over as it drifts around because drat imagine the clean up job if that chemical toilet emptied out 3 days into the trip and you still had a day to go

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's probably why they opened the door.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure it's not actually a chemical toilet it's just a hole in the seat because until now no-one's decided to poo poo in such a closed environment, so I've been kinda giggling all afternoon about the first person taking a poo poo and getting the cold shoulder from the other four who are now stuck smelling that apocalypse.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

One of the articles said that it's got some bags of lead shot for ballast underneath, but that they're attached by something that will perish after 16 hours in seawater. So I imagine it's off on its merry way now.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The worst part is even if it bobbed back up to the surface and washed up on an island somewhere and there’s even one of those emergency phones you see on the motorway right there on the beach next to a fully stocked and fitted holiday villa with flushing toilet, they’re going to die inside the stupid thing because it’s bolted shut from the outside

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i can't sit cross legged so wouldn't fancy this

DJT518T
Aug 4, 2010
You just know making GBS threads whilst gazing at the wreck was a selling point.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Billionaires: at long last we have created the Volumetric poo poo Compressor

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Load bearing toilet window.

:master:

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Is there toilet paper?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Little nozzle to the outside you can open for a 5000psi bidet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Using an xbox controller for an input device is probably quite a good idea if you can get away with it because they're generally quite well made and you could pack a spare, and it's one less bit of custom poo poo you have to build.

Skimping out on a third party one maybe less smart.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

domhal posted:

Is there toilet paper?

OwlFancier posted:

Using an xbox controller for an input device is probably quite a good idea if you can get away with it.

nicholson_nodding.gif

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Using an xbox controller for an input device is probably quite a good idea if you can get away with it because they're generally quite well made and you could pack a spare, and it's one less bit of custom poo poo you have to build.

If it's replaceable, and you have multiple spares that you test regularly, then yeah it's fine. That assumes everything else is MILSPEC, including that bluetooth receiver and that's there's a wired option. poo poo, since this is absolutely critical to the operation though, what's the computer that it's going through? Can it be replaced if it dies randomly for some reason, and if not, can you at the very least use manually operated controls to navigate?

Whether it's a good idea probably comes down to what everything else looks like. I think the ick comes from when you look at that sub, it seems spare in the rugged controls department.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

I mean my immediate thought would be “what else has he scrimped on?” and it would appear it’s quite a lot

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Using a wireless xbox controller seems extremely ill advised yes. I was thinking just using the joypad to replace like a custom joystick set that is also wired into the sub.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

Using a wireless xbox controller seems extremely ill advised yes.

Even if it's wired, an xbox controller isn't an analog device, it's digital. You can't just feed an xbox controller into a system of hydraulics and have them react to it, it needs to be electrically powered and for the signals it generates to be interpreted by a computer. If your computer dies and it can't be replaced, then the sub dies and there's nothing you can do about it even if the engine is top quality and still running. Disclaimer: I have no idea about how this sub works, I assume they thought of that, but lmao if they didn't.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming you could get a microchip or a circuit that would be able to parse it directly into simple electrical signals to send to the actual thrusters.

Though that might be just as optimisitic as expecting manually/mechnically operable backup controls in this day and age. Probably you just plug it into a raspberry pi or something lmao.

Submarine controlled by bluetooth xbox controller connected to an actual xbox which connects to a web server which reads the xbox live pings and translated them to thruster inputs using javascript.

Version 2 is just a copy of subnautica and a big tv screen.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 20, 2023

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I was assuming you could get a microchip or a circuit that would be able to parse it directly into simple electrical signals to send to the actual thrusters.

Though that might be just as optimisitic as expecting manually/mechnically operable backup controls in this day and age. Probably you just plug it into a raspberry pi or something lmao.

In that sense yes you could probably make a simple rugged system which has firmware which is specifically programmed to only read/write the HID protocol and convert it to some whatever signal, and have that replaceable, I doubt it would be a spacious system. The wireless is more concerning, more because this guy seems like he's the type of guy whose idea of a rugged DAC is a raspberry pi that he put together one day because it comes with a wifi receiver.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dive by wire has some big advantages over mechanical systems when you've got two miles of seawater trying to get inside your pressure vessel.

You definitely want your external thrusters and internal controls to have redundant systems though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah that's a good reason to not have mechanical backups because those need to be put through mechanical sized holes in the pressure hull.