Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
A lot of tedious people in here gatekeeping the submarine making market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Forgive me if this is a really dumb question but why dont commercial subermersibles have a giant loving beacon on it that broadcasts their location? Idk some sonar ping or something.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've already stopped giving a poo poo about this story.

One idiot billionaire at the bottom of the ocean - let's call it a good start and move on with our lives

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

qhat posted:

In that sense yes you could probably make a simple rugged system which has firmware which is specifically programmed to only read/write the HID protocol and convert it to some whatever signal, and have that replaceable, I doubt it would be a spacious system. The wireless is more concerning, more because this guy seems like he's the type of guy whose idea of a rugged DAC is a raspberry pi that he put together one day because it comes with a wifi receiver.

Ha, it would need a USB port too, the F750 only talks to its own dedicated wifi receiver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Forgive me if this is a really dumb question but why dont commercial subermersibles have a giant loving beacon on it that broadcasts their location? Idk some sonar ping or something.

You could put one on but it would require power to operate, especially if you want it to go a long way and the submarine is operating on batteries, that could be an issue.

If you don't want to run on batteries you need an actual engine to generate electricity, and then you're looking at building a full diesel electric system or a miniature nuclear submarine and in this case that probably means you're fumigating the cabin with diesel exhaust or everyone's coming back glowing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

qhat posted:

Even if it's wired, an xbox controller isn't an analog device, it's digital. You can't just feed an xbox controller into a system of hydraulics and have them react to it, it needs to be electrically powered and for the signals it generates to be interpreted by a computer. If your computer dies and it can't be replaced, then the sub dies and there's nothing you can do about it even if the engine is top quality and still running. Disclaimer: I have no idea about how this sub works, I assume they thought of that, but lmao if they didn't.

Most of the poo poo I've learned about this sub shocks me and I was already expecting these private industry dipshits to be on the creatively libertine end of, shall we say, groversub

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How does this keep happening?

S4C apologises for mixing up rappers Sage Todz and Mace the Great

quote:

Welsh-language channel S4C has apologised for a "serious mistake" after an afternoon programme confused one rapper with another.

Prynhawn Da showed a photo of Cardiff-rapper Mace the Great, but presenters said the photo was of another rapper, Sage Todz, from Penygroes, Gwynedd.

Sage Todz tweeted the programme, saying: "We gotta do better than this."

S4C said it was "extremely disappointed" with the error and said it had "apologised profusely" to Todz.

It added it had spoken to the production company to ensure the mistake does not happen again.

You can image search if you want but they don't look like each other. You'd think these days it wouldn't happen but it's happened far too often. The BBC have mixed up Ellis Genge and Lewis Ludlam on a few occasions, I don't know how. You also had that idiot Gavin Williamson mixing up Marcus Rashford with Maro Itoji, how the hell you mix those two up I'll never know (I know it's racism.)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Edit. Ignore this. It’s balls. Enjoy this instead

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 20, 2023

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1670918739603206150?t=qGuhKLuogLoHRZbJIoDZgg&s=19

You'll never guess who makes an appearance in this article.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

quote:

A spokesman for the Labour peer said: “Lord Mandelson very much regrets ever having been introduced to Epstein. This connection has been a matter of public record for some time. He never had any kind of professional or business relationship with Epstein in any form.”

tell us about their personal relationship then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No need, it's of minor interest.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The facinating thing about the billionaire death trap submarine is that its so clearly a really loving bad idea to get in it its amazing that people apparently clever and ruthless enough to be billionaires fell for it.

Like they just said 'yeah it's unsafe and untested, but boy is it disruptive to the maritime safety industry, now sign this waver that says we're not legaly liable if you die please and we'll bolt you in'

Nobody thought that maybe, just maybe following established safety practices and testing mught be more valuable than pushing the envelope on home made submarine design when you're going on a trip to the bottom of the sea.

Its breathtaking.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

These are the captains of industry making all the important decisions, if it makes you feel better, single celled organisms may survive and evolve again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest that being a billionaire makes you less clever and ruthless in the manner that living on the galapagos makes you less clever and ruthless.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If you're a billionaire there is pretty much nothing on planet earth save Vladimir Putin that could pose a threat to you. The only way forward from that point is stagnation and eventually utter obliteration. These folks chose the latter.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mr Phillby posted:

The facinating thing about the billionaire death trap submarine is that its so clearly a really loving bad idea to get in it its amazing that people apparently clever and ruthless enough to be billionaires fell for it.

Like they just said 'yeah it's unsafe and untested, but boy is it disruptive to the maritime safety industry, now sign this waver that says we're not legaly liable if you die please and we'll bolt you in'

Nobody thought that maybe, just maybe following established safety practices and testing mught be more valuable than pushing the envelope on home made submarine design when you're going on a trip to the bottom of the sea.

Its breathtaking.

There’s a fun bit on their website where they talk about “Maritime safety inspections are not worth it because most accidents come from operator error “, which is an excellent example of that “fighter aircraft which flew home damage locations” fallacy. Most accidents are operator error BECAUSE the subs have generally been checked by someone reputable to be seaworthy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The submersible death is just the aquatic equivalent of the more common helicopter death. Deep down these oligarchs know that their existence is an abomination and they seek annihilation

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

The submersible death is just the aquatic equivalent of the more common helicopter death. Deep down these oligarchs know that their existence is an abomination and they seek annihilation

I imagine they will be seeking death about now if they’re still down at 3000m huffing each others poo and piss stench as the remaining air begins to thin

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Guavanaut posted:

No need, it's of minor interest.

In the old days you'd get the belt for that kind of talk.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

They narrative seems to have changed. That actually the sub most likely imploded the second they lost it. Which is a less good news story but probably preferable for those involved.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The sub made out of macaroni 100% imploded, game over

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Its breathtaking.

They died the way they lived, supporting as little regulation as possible.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

The CEO who probably compressed and exploded inside his mad catz death tube was a Captain of Industry who constantly complained about safety regulations for submersibles (and just in general) stifling innovation

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Atlas Subb’d.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They narrative seems to have changed. That actually the sub most likely imploded the second they lost it. Which is a less good news story but probably preferable for those involved.

guardian are saying they got 40 hrs of oxygen left and there not time to lose!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you killed some of the passengers, perhaps you could extend the oxygen supply.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Send more billionaires down there. They'll find him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

qhat posted:

poo poo, since this is absolutely critical to the operation though, what's the computer that it's going through? Can it be replaced if it dies randomly for some reason?

They didn't even ask that about the paying passengers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
There's an actual no poo poo commercially produce mini-sub for sale that can reach the titanic and get this - you sit in a transparent acrylic sphere. The same company makes vessels that have gone to the bottom of the Marianas trench (and come back up again).

I bet a tiny porthole, a poop bucket and the BO of 3 other humans in close proximity is preferable though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

There's an actual no poo poo commercially produce mini-sub for sale that can reach the titanic and get this - you sit in a transparent acrylic sphere. The same company makes vessels that have gone to the bottom of the Marianas trench (and come back up again).

I bet a tiny porthole, a poop bucket and the BO of 3 other humans in close proximity is preferable though.

really? this company, who seem reputable, say theye got the biggest porthole that can get down there

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's not a very big piss reservoir, but I guess it's going to be drunk very quickly if they are still alive, as they have no food or water onboard.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
oh it's not stored there, the piss is stored in the ballast

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

There's an actual no poo poo commercially produce mini-sub for sale that can reach the titanic and get this - you sit in a transparent acrylic sphere.

e: ^ fuctifino build the space bong

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Staluigi posted:

The CEO who probably compressed and exploded inside his mad catz death tube was a Captain of Industry who constantly complained about safety regulations for submersibles (and just in general) stifling innovation
When huffing your own farts goes wrong.

Incidentally, the design of this submersible would have lead to a lot that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Completed it mate

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

really? this company, who seem reputable, say theye got the biggest porthole that can get down there

https://tritonsubs.com/subs/gullwing/

Used for Blue Planet

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

Completed it mate

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the company which has stated many times over how safe its submersible is would never lie, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe they meant in the sense that it was the biggest porthole that they can get down there, which could be right until recently.

fuctifino posted:

Completed it mate

:sickos::bisonyes: