Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

blizzardvizard posted:

Bronya at least looks pretty evergreen since even if they are releasing another character that could do a 100% Action Forward in the future (they are), it's the kind of thing that gets better the more you have it.

Based on what we know from the leaks Gepard's probably also not getting replaced anytime soon. There are only 2 new Preservation characters out of like 20-30 that's been leaked so far, and both of them seem to be a hybrid between defense and DPS rather than defense and CC like Geppie.

Agreed. I don't see either of those going obsolete anytime soon. There's an Imaginary Preservation character that might surpass Gepard, but there's no telling when he's coming and whether he competes for the "you're never, ever going to damage my party" role depends largely on his numbers.

I don't see granting bonus actions with extra damage to DPS ever going entirely obsolete, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Clarste posted:

In a more serious vein, how much research has been done into the exact damage formulas for Weakness Break effects? Like, not just the damage of the dot, but also the burst of damage they take immediately. Because I've been noticing that Quantum does way less damage immediately than Fire, even with more Break Effect, and while it makes up for it later with Entanglement, I find myself curious how they all stack up relative to each other.

It's a known calculation, as you have noticed quantum has a single 0.5 multiplier on initial break and 0.6 per stack, so 3.0 multiplier at 5 stacks on the entanglement. https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/Toughness so you can compare other elements.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Huh... looks like leveling from 70 to 80 increases the level multiplier from 2659 to 3767, or more than a 40% increase, which is directly proportional to the final damage. I should prioritize Silver Wolf's level more.

Also the quantum debuff is the only one that scales with the enemy's Toughness (ie: deals more damage to bosses) which makes the rest of them kind of suck by comparison to be honest. No wait, bleed does too, indirectly.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 20, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Once I get my free 5* I'll pull Welt if I manage to pull Luocha, and probably Bailu or Gepard if I don't. I might just choose Welt anyway since his e2 is insane.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Izzhov posted:

By the way, how does the damage formula for this work? I assume that reducing defense by 100% does not mean "every attack does infinity damage"...

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/DEF

tldr: If you're fighting againt enemies the same level as you, 50% DEF shred is 33% more damage and 100% DEF shred is 100% more damage (There are increasing returns until you hit 100%, after that there's no benefit at all to having more)

If the enemies are higher level than you, it's worth a bit more.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Clarste posted:

In a more serious vein, how much research has been done into the exact damage formulas for Weakness Break effects? Like, not just the damage of the dot, but also the burst of damage they take immediately. Because I've been noticing that Quantum does way less damage immediately than Fire, even with more Break Effect, and while it makes up for it later with Entanglement, I find myself curious how they all stack up relative to each other.

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/Toughness

This is what I've used and the formulas seem to line up with most theorycraft videos I've seen, so I assume? they're accurate.

It's certainly been within a rounding error for my Silver Wolf.

e:f,b

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Qwertycoatl posted:

https://honkai-star-rail.fandom.com/wiki/DEF

tldr: If you're fighting againt enemies the same level as you, 50% DEF shred is 33% more damage and 100% DEF shred is 100% more damage (There are increasing returns until you hit 100%, after that there's no benefit at all to having more)

If the enemies are higher level than you, it's worth a bit more.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So, theoretically speaking, if you are level 80 and lightning with about 100% break damage, your weakness break shock would deal around 15,000 base damage before def. This isn't modified by +damage gear or buffs, or even effects like Sampo's debuff, if I'm understanding this right. Serval can extend the duration of shock, and Kafka can make it tick whenever she uses a skill. ...I don't know if that's good or not.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I think Serval only extends her regular shock that she applies.
Like Sampo's Wind Sheer from his talents, its a different Wind Sheer than the one that's applied from breaks. If you already applied shock with her skill, and then break, you see they have two different shock debuffs

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

would be kind of interesting to do a break set on Sushang, since one of her awakenings is 40% break effect, and the burst break on physical is on par with fire which is 2x multi

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's a different shock, but it extends them both:

It never says anything about HER shock so presumably it would also extend Kafka's shock.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

GateOfD posted:

would be kind of interesting to do a break set on Sushang, since one of her awakenings is 40% break effect, and the burst break on physical is on par with fire which is 2x multi

Bleed also does a percentage of the enemy's HP so it's the strongest dot. Like, I was talking about a 15000 shock just now but bleed would do like 50000. The overall physical break multiplier is higher than Quantum.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 20, 2023

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the two piece relic break set that also has an extra break boost at 145 speed which is kind of crazy without requiring Asta, also fits Sushang because her speed talent will actually let her hit that.

my fire mc has like no break stats, and she breaks for like 30k naturally

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For people who don't want to read numbers, here's a brief summary of the weakness break effects by element:
  • Fire: Strong pop, weak dot
  • Ice: Weak pop, weak dot (but also stuns)
  • Lightning: Weak pop, strong dot
  • Wind: Medium pop, dot is weak on trash but very strong on bosses
  • Quantum: Very weak pop, but very strong if you count the delayed burst which requires you to hit them 4 times (also delays)
  • Imaginary: Very weak pop, no dot (but delays and slows)
  • Physical: Strong pop, the dot scales with the enemy's strength: on bosses the dot will likely hit for the same as the pop with each tick
Break dots scale only with break effect and character level (except bleed and quantum), break pops scale with break effect, character level and enemy max break meter.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 20, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I would point out that Quantum also delays like Imaginary. Not as much (unless you have in excess of 50% Break Effect), mind, but it's still a bonus. With my SW's 114% break effect, she sends people back over 40% on top of the base 25% pushback any break applies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah I knew that I just forgot to add it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Completely valid, I just like to make sure it's pointed out because watching my Silver Wolf send people to the loving shadow realm owns.

Speaking of!

:getin:

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Kyrosiris posted:

Completely valid, I just like to make sure it's pointed out because watching my Silver Wolf send people to the loving shadow realm owns.

Speaking of!

:getin:

:monocle:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I know people love their break effect Silver Wolf but there's also an ultimate every turn build.

https://blog.prydwen.gg/2023/06/09/silver-wolf-might-be-a-bit-of-a-problem-balance-wise/

It does take a bit of luck each turn though.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

yea but her ult last for 3 turns so unless you're building her for raw dps it doesn't matter that much right

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wish I was Tb 60 instead of 59 r/n

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

I know people love their break effect Silver Wolf but there's also an ultimate every turn build.

https://blog.prydwen.gg/2023/06/09/silver-wolf-might-be-a-bit-of-a-problem-balance-wise/

Yeah but I don't have E1 SW so that is completely out the window :v:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I wish I was Tb 60 instead of 59 r/n

Use your fuel imo.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i'm using energy regen SW because I do have E1 and E2 :D
and it feels good to be able to use a crit chest piece because i don't need as much hiteffect

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Am currently in the process of grinding up mats for Ascension 5 for my best units (Seele and Jing Yun, and probably Natasha after that, probably Bronya and maybe Gepard if I still haven't hit 60 yet) and hoo boy, this sucks but I'm definitely glad I'm doing it now

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Ok, the amount of mats you need to level from 70 to 80 is just insane. This can't be real

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

The worst part is that you only get a pittance more from calyxs/shadows after going up that tier (and golden calyxes cap out long before that anyway). If there was a noticeable bump in incoming materials for the difficulty increase it wouldn't feel quite so bad, but you're stuck with a double-whammy instead. Maybe the last equilibrium jump at TL65 helps with this, but I wouldn't count on it.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

yea but her ult last for 3 turns so unless you're building her for raw dps it doesn't matter that much right

It still does a lot of toughness break but it does seem like a build that does better the more eidolons you have.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Tagichatn posted:

Does this mean that if you don't have E1 SW, but do everything else, then she can Ult every other turn?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

sushibandit posted:

The worst part is that you only get a pittance more from calyxs/shadows after going up that tier (and golden calyxes cap out long before that anyway). If there was a noticeable bump in incoming materials for the difficulty increase it wouldn't feel quite so bad, but you're stuck with a double-whammy instead. Maybe the last equilibrium jump at TL65 helps with this, but I wouldn't count on it.

They show V as the last tier so I think 6 purple books for 60 stamina is the best it's ever going to get. :psyduck: Feels so much loving worse than Genshin.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

They show V as the last tier so I think 6 purple books for 60 stamina is the best it's ever going to get. :psyduck: Feels so much loving worse than Genshin.

i don't know if genshin's 80->90 xp curve and xp ley line yields are equivalent to HSR's because i'm not doing that kind of research but genshin does stop scaling the xp ley lines at roughly the same time - WL6 vs the cap of WL8.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

UHD posted:

i don't know if genshin's 80->90 xp curve and xp ley line yields are equivalent to HSR's because i'm not doing that kind of research but genshin does stop scaling the xp ley lines at roughly the same time - WL6 vs the cap of WL8.

Genshin has rng but it's like 8-10 purples for 40 resin, so it feels better as a weird who has leveled up a large portion of her roster to 90 and thus done a lot of book leylines. They do have travel time so more annoying to do in the moment, but rather that than just less resources.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.reddit.com/r/HonkaiStarRail/comments/13f9c8k/i_calculated_how_many_days_you_need_to_fully_max/

This post reckons maxing out a character in star rail is somewhat faster than doing it in genshin.

(On the other hand, it's more important to level secondary characters in star rail since they can't just hide in another dimension until their ult is ready)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah even if it's not actually as lucrative it's significantly easier to do. Just teleport, auto battle and make a coffee.

I couldn't even complete genshin's relic dungeons every time so that relic farm was doubly lovely

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Yeah at level 80 I was still struggling to complete the relic farming in Genshin in a timely manner. Especially with travel time factored in. I’m glad I can just auto whatever.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

acumen posted:

Yeah even if it's not actually as lucrative it's significantly easier to do. Just teleport, auto battle and make a coffee.

I couldn't even complete genshin's relic dungeons every time so that relic farm was doubly lovely

yep and if you're weak you can use a support.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This game being turn based and the grinding being trivial to auto is the only reason I started playing in the first place

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

it feels way way better than genshin

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

acumen posted:

the Thread Wisdom to wait until AR45 to get artifacts did this to so many people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HonkaiStarRail/comments/13f9c8k/i_calculated_how_many_days_you_need_to_fully_max/

This post reckons maxing out a character in star rail is somewhat faster than doing it in genshin.

(On the other hand, it's more important to level secondary characters in star rail since they can't just hide in another dimension until their ult is ready)

Well I am glad my feeling is entirely wrong on that.