Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Just pilot the sub up dummies, water ends at the top

You can only open the hatch from the outside and they don't necessarily know where you are even if you can surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Eric Cantonese posted:

You can only open the hatch from the outside and they don't necessarily know where you are even if you can surface.

Maybe you can't but I could

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They have 96 hours of oxygen. I'm sure 2 billionaires, the son of a billionaire, and the guy who thought this was a good idea will be able to science their way back to the surface with 96 hours to work with.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

he should set an example and count his calories

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Koirhor posted:

he should set an example and count his calories

doordash him a few hundred boxes of the baconator.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

mf drilled a tv mount into the hull

why did they attach those nubs to the analog sticks

is it just trying to make it look a little less like a controller

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mycomancy posted:

. I also haven't gotten legitimately angry in a while

doubt

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
If I was stuck in a submarine, I would simply push up on the controller.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

mf drilled a tv mount into the hull

imagine there’s 5 people in there and one of them wants to uncross their legs without kicking one of the monitors off the side of the hill

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

poemdexter posted:

they forgot to invert y

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What’s the point of having a toilet on board if you can’t poo poo out your location?

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Koirhor posted:

they forgot to invert y

Other good theories

-forgot to check a box in the ui
-device driver failed and nobody has thought to try rebooting
-somebody sat on controller

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Zokari posted:

enhanced precision

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

SourKraut posted:

What’s the point of having a toilet on board if you can’t poo poo out your location?

I'm like 90% sure this sub got crushed and dunked across the ocean floor but there's a real possibility a bunch of rich people are trapped in a soda can on the ocean floor with an overflowing chemical toilet and I'm holding out hope we find them alive at like hour 92 just to see their faces when they get them out

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Other good theories

- Windows forced update and they lost connectivity to the controller.
- Controller lost connectivity via bluetooth and none of them could figure out how to resync.

Or my personal favorite:

- Someone kicked the monitor that's mounted to the carbon fiber which caused a leak. That leak then pressure washed the flesh off the nearest person. The rest of the people had to watch this happen while the cabin slowly filled with water. At that moment, they realized that all the money in the world wasn't gonna save them from their own hubris.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

wemgo posted:

i bet if they bought an xbox pro series 2 controller, they’d be safe on their yachts already

💯

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

one of the sticks was bound to shift and they enabled stickykeys

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

poemdexter posted:

You fool!

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i drive my diy garage submarines using a sega genesis controller like god intended

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

poemdexter posted:

- Windows forced update and they lost connectivity to the controller.
- Controller lost connectivity via bluetooth and none of them could figure out how to resync.

Or my personal favorite:

- Someone kicked the monitor that's mounted to the carbon fiber which caused a leak. That leak then pressure washed the flesh off the nearest person. The rest of the people had to watch this happen while the cabin slowly filled with water. At that moment, they realized that all the money in the world wasn't gonna save them from their own hubris.

Windows automatically updating and then bricking the os would be the funniest possible answer

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Maybe if they’d have paid a little more for JoyCons then they’d have only had a little drift.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

a wireless controller holy gently caress

They probably forgot to charge it and it shut off midway through the dive. Whoops.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

RadiRoot posted:

doordash him a few hundred boxes of the baconator.

its the perfect crime

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

DancingShade posted:

They probably forgot to charge it and it shut off midway through the dive. Whoops.

I really do have to wonder if the reason this disaster has struck wasn't because

-something wasn't charged
-somebody forgot to refill the air tanks
-etc...

Like if they got "ride operator" brain for even a minute with this business they would be in a lot of trouble. There's a reason only universities, governments and militaries traditionally operate these things. The maintenance demands for a saltwater deep sea submersible have to be absolutely crushing.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm still in awe that they didn't bother putting seats into it. Just hours of awkward uncomfortable squatting. Not even a pillow lol

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm still in awe that they didn't bother putting seats into it. Just hours of awkward uncomfortable squatting. Not even a pillow lol

I can't imagine sitting in it at port without having an anxiety attack, let alone sitting in it for six hours at lower depths than any rescue vessel could reach

Even if we find the thing intact it could be impossible to recover

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

if the suffocation doesn't get them the blood clots will

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
what would they raise the retirement age to? 67?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

eXXon posted:

lol what? How much of the economy do you imagine "masks and other poo poo" was even in 2020?

I'm guessing that the biggest chunk of actual pandemic response was vaccines and antivirals and that got Pfizer up to... probably not even top 15 market cap on the NYSE? It was a blip on the US economy compared to the vast sums of cash that went into propping up businesses in the American Rescue Plan (though I'm at a loss to guess how that resulted in increased productivity except that some money also trickled down to actual people who went back to work).

It's brain damage from COVID, OP.

you are 100% right lol I’m a huge dipshit (not as big a dipshit as a sub company CEO tho :madmax:)

I’m sure there’s some behind the scenes fuckery going on here. like isn’t inflation calculation but then they layer on another adjustment that’s pretty much dealer’s choice?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

err posted:

I’ve heard 69 or 70

given how life expectancies go up it would make sense from an actuarial perspective possibly but this is all being done to be able to continue gutting things so they can gently caress off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

err posted:

90 probably

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brimruk posted:

I’ve heard 69 or 70

given how life expectancies go up it would make sense from an actuarial perspective possibly but this is all being done to be able to continue gutting things so they can gently caress off

life expectancy actually go down

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zokari posted:

is it just trying to make it look a little less like a controller

Allows for more precise control.

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Other good theories

It's bluetooth attached to probably Windows.

Like, I don't even use bluetooth for controllers or headphones on my computer anymore because its such a pain in the rear end. The headphones needed to be paired twice every session and the controller would lag out every game if the battery went below 50%.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

euphronius posted:

life expectancy actually go down

facts are inconsequential
there's money to be made

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

err posted:

no retirement!

Only work!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I hope they save everybody

quote:

The passengers inside the submersible, which sells tickets to visit the Titanic wreckage for $250,000 are: British businessman Hamish Harding, Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Sulemon, French Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet and Stockton Rush, the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions, the company that designed and dispatched the submersible.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

... yeah it actually is?

Take 19, double it (38), knock off 10% (-3.8, so 34.2, round to 34 (or you can just round -3.8 to 4 and add the .2 back in later if you care)), add 32 (66).

multiplying by 9 and dividing by 5 is better but you have to be able to do basic math instead of memorizing that 10% of something just moves the decimal place one position in base 10

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

ben shapino posted:

All of those things are exploitable in a Marxist sense

lol u never read marx even one page?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

mycomancy posted:

I was talking to my wife, who is at best a social democrat (cue Patrick Stewart as Lenin here), about how fossil fuels will continue to be used until we are +15 C no matter what because they're exploitable in a Marxist sense while everything else (solar, wind, hydro, geo, nuke, and bio) isn't. Our species is assuredly doomed, and it's not gonna be in like 20 or 30 years. We're gonna see it within 5.

u either please just read the summary on wiki or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Antonymous posted:

u either please just read the summary on wiki or something

Sorry, gently caress me for asking a question about something.