Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Showgirls UHD is impeccable. Great grain, colors POP. Worth the wait.

How sharp does the water glisten in 'that' scene? :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

How sharp does the water glisten in 'that' scene? :smugdon:

Didn’t get there, but the early strip club scenes are so loving vibrant.

What a great movie.

Also Exorcist 4K is officially available to pre-order…. For France!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671225305069912098?s=20

No way we don’t get an announcement in a month or two for US.

Boywhiz88 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 20, 2023

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Of course they'd announce this now. If Arrow's Re-Animator release goes on sale I don't think I'll be able to resist.

I really need to get that. My copy is still the old DVD which claims to be widescreen but is really stuck in 4:3 lazy widescreen. I never upgraded cause I got it signed by Jeffrey Combs :smug:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

PHYSICAL MEDIA WILL NEVER DIE.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

PHYSICAL MEDIA WILL NEVER DIE.

Holy moly

Also wait this already got a UHD release? The gently caress?

I've never seen Showgirls once, at least I know there are decent options out there.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Boywhiz88 posted:

If we do, they better include the theatrical version.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I'm thrilled to see a skippable sale.

July is next week where we get 20 new Vinegar Syndrome announcements and likely a Criterion 50% sale. Calm before the storm

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve got ~$150 in Barnes & Noble gift cards I’ve been saving up all year for the inevitable July Criterion sale, but tbh they just haven’t announced that many new releases this year that really strike my fancy.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Criterion sale is going to murder me. I have my targets written down and not including the Godzilla collection that's 12 movies. I know I'm not going to get them all but having to choose will be fun.

Good thing our new rotating shelf came in. :getin:

https://twitter.com/HardLuckErin/status/1671304079178444816?t=g2vSPBjQkKQEH9r4FmHacQ&s=19

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Didn’t get there, but the early strip club scenes are so loving vibrant.

What a great movie.

Also Exorcist 4K is officially available to pre-order…. For France!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671225305069912098?s=20

Can someone remind me what the issue was with releasing the Theatrical Cut of this movie? I don’t prefer the Director’s, in this case. Just Big Billy Briedkin acting pigheaded?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm sorry for bringing this up again but I am absolutely done with this x700 Sony player. What's a good Dolby vision player that won't freeze every time I play a movie? Or what page was the discussion?

This didn't happen very much at all but the last three movies I've played have all frozen up or stuttered in various places and I'm over it. I'm seeing a Panasonic player that looks like the good option?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm sorry for bringing this up again but I am absolutely done with this x700 Sony player. What's a good Dolby vision player that won't freeze every time I play a movie? Or what page was the discussion?

This didn't happen very much at all but the last three movies I've played have all frozen up or stuttered in various places and I'm over it. I'm seeing a Panasonic player that looks like the good option?

Depending where you bought it, you can probably get it serviced, especially if it's recent.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah that’s super strange. I’ve got two x700’s and have had the freezing issue maybe 5 times total in the 3 years I’ve had one of them (so far so good on the region free one).

Even when the one froze it was just either a dirty disc or a restart that fixed it,

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Edit: ^^^^^ it didn't happen often at all until this year. The first avatar movie today was really bad and top gun maverick a few weeks ago also couldn't play a few different points.

Got it from Amazon and it s two years ago, so I don't have high hopes for that.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 21, 2023

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Kingtheninja posted:

The only one I know of is the Oppo UDP-203/205 but that's discontinued and goes for sacrilegious amounts of money now.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I like my panasonic dp-ub820 and it’s never frozen on me

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Kingtheninja posted:

Edit: ^^^^^ it didn't happen often at all until this year. The first avatar movie today was really bad and top gun maverick a few weeks ago also couldn't play a few different points.

Got it from Amazon and it s two years ago, so I don't have high hopes for that.

Maybe a dumb question, but you're keeping the firmware up to date, yeah?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Ub820 is great but ours started not reading lots of uhds after a couple of years. We would clean the drive and it would go for a month or two and then that stopped working. Not all uhds but easily 1/3 to 1/2 of my collection would just not read.

I just ordered another one on Amazon and swapped the drives and returned it - but the replacement drive is $200 if that's too unscrupulous for you.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Never don't gently caress Bezos, billionaires

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/l0u13/status/1671414528117215233?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Went to a screening of Possessor tonight

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

So I think I am. I go to software update and it tells me it's already updated. However I did look up online if there were any recent updates and I did see one I don't think my player would have. I had done a system reset recently so and it still tells me I'm up to date, so maybe I need to use a USB drive to update?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

What are movies you'd like to see get Criterion releases? I have a few dream releases, some more likely than others.

Number one would be Network. I'm amazed it hasn't happened yet. 12 Angry Men is incredible of course but I figure a whole Sidney Lumet collection would be awesome, with Network being one of my personal favorites of his. Plus the existing BD cover is disgusting-looking. Awful.

Others I'd love to see are Interstella 5555 (possibly with Electroma as a bonus feature). I know that something like The Wall (or Burst City) would be more likely if they were to release a music film but I really think it's a massively interesting and influential release that never seems to get any kind of big special edition. With Daft Punk disbanded and Leiji Matsumoto's passing it'd be great to honor it.

Bound would be a big one for me too, being the Wachowskis' first film, tremendously well received, great for a History of LGBT+ cinema type release. Plus I just love it :colbert:

On that note, my personal impossible never-will-happen pick is Wild Zero, because every release I've seen of it at least in the US treats it like a joke, or a curiosity at best. It's a great piece of punk rock zero budget cinema that is also an incredible queer piece of filmmaking and I'd love to get it respectfully preserved, get interviews with Guitar Wolf for the special features, talk about the punk scene in Japan in the 90s. It'd be great.

Lastly, a Satoshi Kon collection would be magnificent, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be Paprika. It's not my favorite of his films, but it's a gorgeous one and his most mainstream pick. But all of his movies would be incredible additions to the collection.

I have a few others - Swiss Army Man, Oldboy, and another physical of It's Such A Beautiful Day since they only have the movie on their app possibly due to the existing Blu-Ray release - but I think these are big wants.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
A Koji Shiraishi boxset featuring Curse, Occult, Cult, Shirome and Record of a Sweet Murder. Senritsu Files gets a follow up boxset when the series is finished.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I've wanted a release of The Face of Another for a long time. (Has there already been one and is it out of print?) Criterion has it on streaming, but I'd really like it in my collection.

Edit: yep, out of print. Hope it comes back. I would also like Mr Arkadin, which is also out of print.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

wait, we're getting a criterion sale in july? a fourth of july thing?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

abelwingnut posted:

wait, we're getting a criterion sale in july? a fourth of july thing?

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1671521313280647173?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

Guess I’m triple dipping

dorium fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 21, 2023

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Mini rant: the current worst thing that has happened with physical media is Disney essentially abandoning it. Which means I doubt we'll ever see any 20th Century Fox stuff come out again, and all the Touchstone titles will remain in limbo or never get released. For example, I want to own Ruthless People. It's not on Blu-ray, because of course it isn't, so I caved in and bought a DVD pack with Ruthless plus Outrageous Fortune and Down & Out in Beverly Hills. Ruthless People isn't anamorphic, the other two are. So I get to enjoy Ruthless People on the postage stamp sized image in the middle of my TV, unless I zoom it in or whatever, which will make the image look worse than it probably already does. Just more bullshit rear end bullshit. That's the end of my Old Man Yells at Cloud post.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

ultraviolence123 posted:

Mini rant: the current worst thing that has happened with physical media is Disney essentially abandoning it. Which means I doubt we'll ever see any 20th Century Fox stuff come out again, and all the Touchstone titles will remain in limbo or never get released. For example, I want to own Ruthless People. It's not on Blu-ray, because of course it isn't, so I caved in and bought a DVD pack with Ruthless plus Outrageous Fortune and Down & Out in Beverly Hills. Ruthless People isn't anamorphic, the other two are. So I get to enjoy Ruthless People on the postage stamp sized image in the middle of my TV, unless I zoom it in or whatever, which will make the image look worse than it probably already does. Just more bullshit rear end bullshit. That's the end of my Old Man Yells at Cloud post.

I don’t know what’s happening with Disney’s physical media department because stuff is happening, but it’s not enough. They have the Disney Movie Club as their direct-to-consumer distribution service and they’ve been adding a lot of catalog Fox titles meaning they view it as a legit service. DMC also has a lot of exclusive titles that normally wuldn’t get wide release on home video. They also recently released CInderella in 4k and it’s beautiful, so they are willing to go back to older titles and rerelease them. Despite that, they aren’t going all in with either of these. The smaller Touchstone titles can easily be released through the club. They already have R-rated titles there so they wouldn’t have to be concerned about confusing kids. Disney also announced a deal with Mill Creek to release stuff, but that hasn’t produced anything yet. I think something is happening over at the House of Mouse, but they aren’t talking about it right now.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

MacheteZombie posted:

A Koji Shiraishi boxset featuring Curse, Occult, Cult, Shirome and Record of a Sweet Murder. Senritsu Files gets a follow up boxset when the series is finished.

This would be cool as hell.

I also want the rumors about more Johnnie To to turn out to be true.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

What are movies you'd like to see get Criterion releases? I have a few dream releases, some more likely than others.

More animation in general would be nice. Wild Zero is fantastic. It is a very goof movie but back in the day having the mentor character just yell this at our hero was a pretty big deal for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEtvkH56UcU

MacheteZombie posted:

Shiraishi should be just up Arrow's alley. Maybe VS but I'd want his stuff to get the wider distribution that Arrow does.

Also in general I want all the labels to start doing more late 90s, early 2000s Asian movies. It's insanely hosed up how many Tadanobu Asano movies got DVD releases but no blurays. Criterions you fucks, you'll do every single Yasujiro Ozu movie but not Cafe Lumiere!? You lazy bastards!

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

Me: I buy discs in order to ensure my media remains reliably available without relying on an Internet connection or the whims of companies with the ability to remotely restrict my access to entertainment.

My Blu-ray player: gently caress you, connect to internet, me phone home.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 21, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont think ive ever updated the firmware now that I think about it. Even the people from the region free player store say to not update the firmware on their fixed machines too.

https://twitter.com/tonycoffman/status/1671266714024304640?s=20

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

More animation in general would be nice. Wild Zero is fantastic. It is a very goof movie but back in the day having the mentor character just yell this at our hero was a pretty big deal for me.

Shiraishi should be just up Arrow's alley. Maybe VS but I'd want his stuff to get the wider distribution that Arrow does.

Also in general I want all the labels to start doing more late 90s, early 2000s Asian movies. It's insanely hosed up how many Tadanobu Asano movies got DVD releases but no blurays. Criterions you fucks, you'll do every single Yasujiro Ozu movie but not Cafe Lumiere!? You lazy bastards!

Wouldn't surprise me if SRS ends up doing kojis films lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if SRS ends up doing kojis films lol

That would make me cry. It's insanely hosed up that Legend of the Stardust Brothers got zero buzz because the release was so tiny. Like, on this forum of all places I'm like the only person who has seen it and that's so insanely hosed up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've seen an improvement in my player's reliability over time as they've put out the updates. There was some UHDs from the early days of the format that just seemed to always give my player problems but then a few years and a few updates later most of those issues seem to be fixed. Like Man of Steel for example, my player would always freeze up at a specific point but then after one particular update all the sudden it plays through clean with no issue.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gripweed posted:

It was so powerful, I've watched this movie four or five times since my initial viewing in 2021 and that scene and the entire second half of the movie never fails to get an extreme reaction out of me and everyone I've shown it to. Part of the fun of the movie is that it's wacky and wild, sure, and it is hilarious schlock at times, but it's also so earnest. If Pink Flamingos and Multiple Maniacs can get releases that balance reverence and irreverence, so can this. :colbert:

(nb I LOVE John Waters and want to own both of those titles)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It was so powerful, I've watched this movie four or five times since my initial viewing in 2021 and that scene and the entire second half of the movie never fails to get an extreme reaction out of me and everyone I've shown it to. Part of the fun of the movie is that it's wacky and wild, sure, and it is hilarious schlock at times, but it's also so earnest. If Pink Flamingos and Multiple Maniacs can get releases that balance reverence and irreverence, so can this. :colbert:

(nb I LOVE John Waters and want to own both of those titles)

I first watched Wild Zero when I was I think 15. Early 2000s, Texas suburbs. Genuinely, Wild Zero was kinda important for me figuring some stuff out.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Gripweed posted:

That would make me cry. It's insanely hosed up that Legend of the Stardust Brothers got zero buzz because the release was so tiny. Like, on this forum of all places I'm like the only person who has seen it and that's so insanely hosed up.

Sold! Looks cool.

On things I like to shill that not enough people see: every Lupin the Third movie. Discotek is releasing them lately. It's thief comedy meets James Bond meets anime nirvana. Potent stuff.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Sold! Looks cool.

On things I like to shill that not enough people see: every Lupin the Third movie. Discotek is releasing them lately. It's thief comedy meets James Bond meets anime nirvana. Potent stuff.

The Castle of Cagliostro is one of the best animated films of all time for my money - and major names at Disney and Pixar agreed. If you want a great lesser-known one I recommend The Mystery of Mamo. It's not a perfect film but the ending sequence is breathtaking and an all-timer series moment.

And if you like those and want a great series to sink your teeth into, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine has a gorgeous art style and a killer dark tone and I adore the ending. Sayo Yamamoto crushed it as director.

Even the newest film, the CG-animated film The First, is excellent, with a great mix of the action from Part 2 and lots of Cagliostro influence leading into a bonkers finale. The gang translates perfectly into CG and it's a great pulp story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I really need to check that out. You made it sound really entertaining