Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Boywhiz88 posted:

Why the gently caress would you get a Variable Rate after 2008!?!?! I've never understood that!

2008 basically didn't happen in Canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm the drop ceiling in 2023

jesu cristo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

What the gently caress is hiding above that ceiling lol

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The Oldest Man posted:

Electric wiring, cat5 drops maybe, trash from the house flip that they were too lazy to take to the dump, several raccoons and squirrels, air duct work they home rolled with toilet paper tubes and aluminum foil, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

Why the gently caress would you get a Variable Rate after 2008!?!?! I've never understood that!

the US is kind of unique in their 30-year fixed thing if i am led to believe correctly

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Eight-Six posted:

the US is kind of unique in their 30-year fixed thing if i am led to believe correctly

yeah the rest of the world is basically a variable rate mortgage horror show.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

thats where the dryer vents to

Oww My Eye
Jun 22, 2006
Got me a movie

Boywhiz88 posted:

We were fortunate enough to buy last year, and at every step, the mortgage guy kept trying to sell us on a variable rate mortgage. So theres a lot of pressure on home buyers that may not be familiar with what went down in 2008.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
in the area we may be moving to(west Detroit Metro) Im seeing homes not going anywhere over list by a lot in the 4-550k range which is good. however I wonder how many people did lock in low rates 2 years ago because going from 2-7% is not great but poo poo we have to do

I dont mind being in a barely updated 70s-80s home. spent 6 in a 1920s home; however it has way more character.

if we moved back to the triangle area of NC wed probably be looking at lot more which probably couldnt work with our incomes.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
You could just gamble on interest rates remaining where they are today, and buy your rate down with cash up front on "points." We were going to buy down 6.4% to 5.62 with 2 points, but then got to 5.6% by taking a competing offer to the table and them matching with no points.

Points "pay for themselves," in about 18 months per point, on average, at the median housing price of ~$600k. You're not going to be often told about them if the bank thinks rates are going to remain the same but it's FOMO for both sides of the table and a gamble.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I don't think rates will go down this calendar year, but I'd definitely be losing sleep over betting on a break-even of 18 months per point.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Points buying is basically cash up front the bank can just put on its balance sheet before selling off your lower rate loan to Bill's Morgantown Mortgage vs interest over 30 as your loan hot potatoes from one servicer to another, packaged again and again as assets on balance sheets. It's great for the first guy, a gamble for guys down the line and for the buyer. The break even can go from 12 months to 40, you're still eventually going to break even across a 30 year loan.*

*Unless we return to near zero and you're dropping $12k on 2 points up front for 1% off a 7% rate, well then lol.

Financialized Housing Product!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the cutesy bathroom word "art" is getting out of hand

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

A Bad King posted:

Points buying is basically cash up front the bank can just put on its balance sheet before selling off your lower rate loan to Bill's Morgantown Mortgage vs interest over 30 as your loan hot potatoes from one servicer to another, packaged again and again as assets on balance sheets. It's great for the first guy, a gamble for guys down the line and for the buyer. The break even can go from 12 months to 40, you're still eventually going to break even across a 30 year loan.*

*Unless we return to near zero and you're dropping $12k on 2 points up front for 1% off a 7% rate, well then lol.

Financialized Housing Product!

I love watching the worst people play hot potato with the economy

a game no one playing ever really loses

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
The Fed will just put any bad debt on ITS balance sheet! There's no downside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hope you never have to work on that toilet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I love seeing these gray LVP floors everywhere because they look identical to the flooring we put in the family room when we rebuilt after a fire, where our instructions to the builder were literally "use the cheapest poo poo you can because that room is just storage."

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Why use oak when you can use p e t r o l e u m.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

theyre nice if you have kids and pets (theyre basically indestructible) but only the ugliest gray ones ever get used. The not ugly ones look just like any laminate.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

I love seeing these gray LVP floors everywhere because they look identical to the flooring we put in the family room when we rebuilt after a fire, where our instructions to the builder were literally "use the cheapest poo poo you can because that room is just storage."

we had that poo poo in our first apartment together ~2011 in the kitchen. When we ran the oven long enough we could skate around on those planks after the glue melted.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

A Bad King posted:

Why use oak when you can use p e t r o l e u m.

100%

fire would be a better look

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Sounds like gray is the select color of the market. You cannot challenge the market. The number goes only up, a sea of gray number ever rising on the low cost of petroleum-based product and petroleum-based blood. More means better, for every petrol dollar spent. Buy and enjoy, think not and celebrate the odd summer air in late November. Be safe in the knowledge that petroleum saves you. Gray is good. Gray is the market, embracing your home and the homes of investment groups leasing their homes out of both a desire for more good and more dollar. Love is more money. Gray is love.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

A Bad King posted:

Sounds like gray is the select color of the market. You cannot challenge the market. The number goes only up, a sea of gray number ever rising on the low cost of petroleum-based product and petroleum-based blood. More means better, for every petrol dollar spent. Buy and enjoy, think not and celebrate the odd summer air in late November. Be safe in the knowledge that petroleum saves you. Gray is good. Gray is the market, embracing your home and the homes of investment groups leasing their homes out of both a desire for more good and more dollar. Love is more money. Gray is love.

can I get this on a wooden board for my kitchen wall?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

they not wrong - number good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Housing is for profit, not people

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

poemdexter posted:

can I get this on a wooden board for my kitchen wall?

Only in gray, and an alternating whimsical Corporate Flat font on each line that becomes a sentence celebrating the gray. Yet I doubt there is a market for more than perhaps 2,000 units, so it may be best to find a manufacturer in China that provides a quick drop ship. Life laugh and prey that they use the cheaper lead-based water soluble paint Menards doesn't bother testing for when we distribute it across the domestic market!

Apr 7, 2003

lmao

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Murderpodcast, episode 442: The landlord was a high school freshman

Apr 7, 2003

i die in Call of Duty and a teenager calls me a homophobic slur on the comms. It's my landlord

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That kid's gonna grow up to be a monster. Never even had a chance.

Apr 7, 2003

I'm gonna give the kid the benefit of the doubt here and assume the parents are using him to dodge taxes somehow.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Gotta have that house investor grindset, kid

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Crd0CwhNNkd/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Love that our society rewards the absolute worst people with the absolute most material assets

Apr 7, 2003

training my son to start stealing from the less fortunate early

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

training my son to start stealing from the less fortunate early

you know not being a landlord is an option that you have available to you

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I'm gonna give the kid the benefit of the doubt here and assume the parents are using him to dodge taxes somehow.

I was pretty sure you had to be 18 before anyone would let you sign a contract like that, but that's my small, not-investor brain talking.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Failson posted:

I was pretty sure you had to be 18 before anyone would let you sign a contract like that, but that's my small, not-investor brain talking.

this isnt very innoventive of you

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
i should have gone to school to be a landlord

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

if everyone becomes a landlord then we've solved poverty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Paradoxish posted:

if everyone becomes a landlord then we've solved poverty

This was part of Bushs ownership society. That ended pretty well.