Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The video the CBS guy did made a point of them bragging that their submersible was the only one with a toilet - one of those hospital bottles you pee in if you can't get out of bed. I know them well, used them extensively when I was in the hospital in March with a kidney stone. Poop I believe was handled with a large zip-lock bag.

Anyway, reading the below article, if someone puts a gun to your head and makes you place a wager on what happened, you could do worse than guess that the porthole that

failed.

Turns out an employee had allll kinds of safety concerns, got fired, and settled out of court. Oh, and from his lawsuit you can add one more possible scenario:

*A fire from the

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

Yeah reading a similar post in the dailyfail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-concerns.html

I wouldn't have done it if it was certified looking at it... but the history of it's build, jeez, you'd have thought mega rich business men would have done due diligence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The toilet specifically overlooks the underspecced window

There's a small chance one of the billionaires who paid to poo poo over the titanic was hit in the face by a Death Laser of Water, while smugly making GBS threads.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Outrail posted:

Here's a countdown timer for the economic stimulus trigger, if you need it.

I'm assuming that guys dumbass son in law is going to blow the entire inheritance pretty quick.

He'll spend it all in a blink 182

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
It doesn't even have a window? I'm disgusted that these guys actually went down to that depth instead of just scamming the customers. Take it down to where it gets dark, make some brum brum noises for a few hours and then play around with the controller while watching a video pretending to explore the wreck. Absolutely no commitment to capitalism, how'd they even become billionaires without learning to scam?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tunicate posted:

He'll spend it all in a blink 182

You know blink 182 keep coming up in the story. They better have a drat good alibi is all I'll say. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

It doesn't even have a window? I'm disgusted that these guys actually went down to that depth instead of just scamming the customers. Take it down to where it gets dark, make some brum brum noises for a few hours and then play around with the controller while watching a video pretending to explore the wreck. Absolutely no commitment to capitalism, how'd they even become billionaires without learning to scam?

It has a window, that is rated for a third of the depth of Titanic.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Platystemon posted:

It has a window, that is rated for a third of the depth of Titanic.

Had a window.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so somebody finally had the balls to make a deep sea submersible out of carbon fiber eh? my hats off to them

somebody should alert the media that when it imploded it shattered into a million pieces instead of going on with the crushed tin can visual

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

quote:

OceanGate’s submersibles are the only known vessels to use real-time (RTM) hull health monitoring. With this RTM system, we can determine if the hull is compromised well before situations become life-threatening, and safely return to the surface. This innovative safety system is not currently covered by any classing agency.

No other submersible currently utilizes real-time monitoring to monitor hull health during a dive. We want to know why. Classed subs are only required to undergo depth validation every three years, whereas our RTM system validates the integrity of the hull on each and every dive.

what is the active hull health monitoring system? a couple of strain gauges slapped on the thing? love a company that hand waives doing standardized tests in favor of their 'better' system, (but won't tell you what it is)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
some guy in Florida built a better submarine than Titan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUOHjON9RVg

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Between this and the sicko who murdered that poor reporter, are all mini-sub inventors bloodthirsty monsters

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
The ocean is the most dangerous and unexplored place you can get to without strapping a million pounds of explosives to your rear end AND it has way more "monsters" than outer space. It attracts a certain sort of person.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Desert Bus posted:

AND it has way more "monsters" than outer space. It attracts a certain sort of person.

:hmmyes:

pirates

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

My second favorite genre is lovely space pirate sci-fi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodacious_Space_Pirates

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

fallingdownjoe posted:

Had a window.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
In pronunciation there isn't a lot of difference between porthole and portal. In practice however...

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ethanol posted:

what is the active hull health monitoring system? a couple of strain gauges slapped on the thing? love a company that hand waives doing standardized tests in favor of their 'better' system, (but won't tell you what it is)

18 strain gages, yeah.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

18 strain gages, yeah.

calling it now, death by fatigued composite

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

The ocean is the most dangerous and unexplored place you can get to without strapping a million pounds of explosives to your rear end AND it has way more "monsters" than outer space. It attracts a certain sort of person.

I'm not sure how true that is, they lost a few Saturn V upper stages back in the day and when they orbited back around to earth in the 00s they were spotted and sciency people were able to figure out that it was covered in titanium oxide paint through a telescope.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

nomad2020 posted:

I'm not sure how true that is, they lost a few Saturn V upper stages back in the day and when they orbited back around to earth in the 00s they were spotted and sciency people were able to figure out that it was covered in titanium oxide paint through a telescope.

True.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ethanol posted:

so somebody finally had the balls to make a deep sea submersible out of carbon fiber eh? my hats off to them

somebody should alert the media that when it imploded it shattered into a million pieces instead of going on with the crushed tin can visual

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

Their better system is an acoustic monitor that listens for the sounds of the carbon fiber hull material breaking down from excessive strain. Which would probably give the crew less than a second's warning before a catastrophic failure.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

ethanol posted:

calling it now, death by fatigued composite

Well, that or the porthole that wasn't certified to the Titanic's depth because building a proper one was too expensive.

1300m certified porthole
Titanic is at 3800m

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 21, 2023

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Oh god.

quote:

The P8 deployed sonobuoys, which reported a contact in a position close to the distress position. The P8 heard banging sounds in the area every 30 minutes. Four hours later additional sonar was deployed and banging was still heard.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, I see we're in the "suffocate slowly before they can be found" timeline

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
The more I hear about this billionaire submarine debacle the more I realize it’s just Fyre Island: Underwater Edition

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ethanol posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/news/comments/14df37k/titanic_tourist_sub_goes_missing_sparking_search/joqfaso/?context=3 posted:

They never even setup the software properly to use the hull health monitoring system. It's a bunch of transducers glued into the hull. I worked at oceangate for six months before I left figuring they were going to get someone killed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

Ah, I see we're in the "suffocate slowly before they can be found" timeline

They're gonna shine a camera into the porthole and they'll either be loving or eating eachother.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

quote:

They never even setup the software properly to use the hull health monitoring system. It's a bunch of transducers glued into the hull. I worked at oceangate for six months before I left figuring they were going to get someone killed.

quote:

I worked for oceangate when they found the damage to the hull. It wasnt cyclic failure, it was a giant delamination or dry pocket from manufacturing in the carbon fiber. Nearly 6ft long and 5ft wide and nearly a quarter inch thick. It was absolutely massive. I should know, I helped cut the dead material out. Quit right after that happened because rather than test or scan the sub, they arbitrarily said ok it can only go this far down now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do you suppose they have a good dehumidifier system in there? 5 guys exhaling and sweating in that tiny space would make things pretty damp after a day or two. Did they bring enough pee bottles to stay down this long? Really stewing in their own juices down there.

Feel bad for the rescuers who have to pop open that capsule.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Outrail posted:

They're gonna shine a camera into the porthole and they'll either be loving or eating eachother.

Well they did report hearing banging sounds :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did they bring enough pee bottles to stay down this long?

You don’t pee if you aren’t drinking.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Zesty posted:

You don’t pee if you aren’t drinking.

you can drink the pee a couple of times for hydration before it becomes toxic, in a pinch. it's the poo poo that's really making it special down there

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Facebook Aunt posted:

Feel bad for the rescuers who have to pop open that capsule.
Not sure it's likely anyone will ever recover this. There's no vehicle made for this job, so as far as I can figure it'd be some risky improvised deal with another submersible not made for it trying to somehow manipulate this one that is also not made for it. I'm not feeling optimistic this could be done before they're dead, and interest in putting in all that effort will wane once it's about recovering corpses.

Who knows, though, maybe some other rich adventurer will want to try.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Best case for survival, they are floating on the surface somewhere and get found in time. The sub is white and that’s a pretty hard color to see in the ocean. They have no transponder despite considering it after their last close call, nor they they have an emergency escape option. They’re pretty likely to suffocate.

If they’re stuck down deep for whatever reason, there’s no chance for the reasons listed in the post above mine. They’ll run out of air and eventually the sub will corrode enough to implode. Recovering bodies isn’t realistic or all that worthwhile after the air thing.

And they could have imploded already because the thing is made out of gum and duct tape.

Those are the options.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 21, 2023

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Elukka posted:

Not sure it's likely anyone will ever recover this. There's no vehicle made for this job, so as far as I can figure it'd be some risky improvised deal with another submersible not made for it trying to somehow manipulate this one that is also not made for it. I'm not feeling optimistic this could be done before they're dead, and interest in putting in all that effort will wane once it's about recovering corpses.

Who knows, though, maybe some other rich adventurer will want to try.

Basically this, unless there is some super secret US Navy tech to scoop them up off the bottom they are dead already even if currently still breathing. If a rescue effort is mounted I hope no one else has to put their lives on the line.

Unless it's like the Onion suggested and it's another sub full of billionaires then sure lol.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Now is the time to let Musk use his own custom sub for an ill-advised rescue. Please let him do it....

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Musk is a goddamned loving idiot but at least he says he would never get in one of his ships to go to Mars.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
If we all tweet at Elon can we bully him into taking a minisub directly into the abyss? A goon project to benefit the entire world.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Is there any failure-at-depth scenario that doesn't end with them imploded? The one article mentioned a "dead-man's switch" that would automatically release the sandbag ballast after a day or so. But even if that worked, they'd be non-buoyant if full of water, yeah?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Send musk down in that capsule he built for the cave kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
They painted it white. Either they never thought about the need for a surface rescue or they didn't care.

Like fluro orange or something. Also having a satellite phone/spot tracker or you know, something might have been a good idea.

My dinky 4 person company has better safety procedures and we have, let me check for a moment, yeah zero billionaires funding out poo poo.