Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they meant in the sense that it was the biggest porthole that they can get down there, which could be right until recently.

:sickos::bisonyes:

"At the meeting Lochridge discovered why he had been denied access to the viewport information from the Engineering department—the viewport at the forward of the submersible was only built to a certified pressure of 1,300 meters, although OceanGate intended to take passengers down to depths of 4,000 meters. Lochridge learned that the viewport manufacturer would only certify to a depth of 1,300 meters due to experimental design of the viewport supplied by OceanGate, which was out of the Pressure Vessels for Human Occupancy (“PVHO”) standards. OceanGate refused to pay for the manufacturer to build a viewport that would meet the required depth of 4,000 meters."

https://newrepublic.com/post/173802/missing-titanic-sub-faced-lawsuit-depths-safely-travel-oceangate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

So, you know, it's not even the biggest porthole they could get down there, just the biggest one they were willing to pay for (and shouldn't have)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

That looks cool as gently caress but no. it doesnt exist. The ones that can do a KM down have actual pictures of them and were i guess used for blue planet. The titanic depth 4km one is all cgi and does not exist.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Gonzo McFee posted:

Send more billionaires down there. They'll find him.

There was a big ocean that swallowed the rich
I don't know why it swallowed the rich
Lmao bitch

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Staluigi posted:

So, you know, it's not even the biggest porthole they could get down there, just the biggest one they were willing to pay for (and shouldn't have)
You can get any porthole down there at least once.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

the company which has stated many times over how safe its submersible is would never lie, surely

https://twitter.com/oneradchee/status/1671248613719044096?s=46

You can find that quote here https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/stockton-rush-titanic-submarine-oceangate-ceo-b2360988.html

"What are you gonna do, implode on me?" -quote from man imploded

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
has elon turned up yet with his titanium pedo sausage?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Perhaps that's something that Hirschman didn't consider in The Rhetoric of Reaction.

He has auto CEOs paying unscrupulous stats grads and journalists to write about how seatbelts will cause more car accidents because they, as rational businessmen, would save money on manufacturing if there were no seatbelt laws.

But maybe they were also against seatbelt (and helmet and tobacco) laws just because they have zero perception of safety and just wander childlike into risks doing what they like.

(Or maybe it's like the neo neolibs believing wholeheartedly in the lies about the market that the last generation told. These guys are the sons of the anti-seatbelt CEOs who ended up true believers.)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Is The Rhetoric of Reaction a worthwhile read regardless, or would you say it diagnosed a problem superceded in the modern political world?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Most of the tabloid/spiked/facebook reactionaries use similar "well it won't even work anyway" arguments still, especially about anything relating to safety or welfare.

I don't think it could address the inner mental life or motives of billionaires riding a MAME cab down to the Titanic, but I'm not sure anything could.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i suppose if you don't have the resources of a billionaire you just go on the ghost train or that by way of a thrill, big whoosh of air ffffffFFFfFfFFFfffff and a sheet all bobbing about woww00woo0o00owo00o0o like that

that's enough for us really

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and that's much safer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well, so long as you go to an establishment with a fixed address and the proper paperwork :/

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Parliamentary ghost trains are easier to find and probably more profitable (if you have a Youtube channel, anyway)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the tabloid/spiked/facebook reactionaries use similar "well it won't even work anyway" arguments still, especially about anything relating to safety or welfare.

I don't think it could address the inner mental life or motives of billionaires riding a MAME cab down to the Titanic, but I'm not sure anything could.

Oh well sure, the latter is its own mix we can ignore. I guess I'm more interested in if the Rhetoric of Reaction's prescriptions are useful against said tabloid/facebook people or at least those who absorb said arguments by osmosis.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was the billionaire on board the creator of the sub?

nope, creator still alive, the guy who got imploded is Hamish Harding, a Dubai based aircraft broker with a somewhat sketchy looking investment group who was very private about everything except aircraft brokering and his various dangerous hobbies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Z the IVth posted:

Apparently the sub company CEO was in the coffin vessel as well. Say what you want at least he had the balls to get turned into blobfish go down with his ship.

oh I guess I completely missed that reporting rip

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I wonder if someone on the sub will be sacrificed to lengthen amount of time before oxygen runs out? Or would that save oxygen? Does a dead body use oxygen in decay processes? (Sorry for peculiar seeming thoughts, watching Silent Witness)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did joke that the CEO will be found as the sole survivor.

"Congratulations Mr Rush, you've survived! The bad news is you're now on the hook for four counts of homicide."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Little nozzle to the outside you can open for a 5000psi bidet.

you joke but "used the toilet wrong" is a pretty common cause of sub disasters

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

There's an actual no poo poo commercially produce mini-sub for sale that can reach the titanic and get this - you sit in a transparent acrylic sphere. The same company makes vessels that have gone to the bottom of the Marianas trench (and come back up again).

I bet a tiny porthole, a poop bucket and the BO of 3 other humans in close proximity is preferable though.

I wish to reiterate Harding rode one of those or something much like it farther than this, and then took a look at the groversub breaking free of the tethers of maritime vessel inspection and basic good sense and went "yes I will ride this thing"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Google Jeb Bush posted:

you joke but "used the toilet wrong" is a pretty common cause of sub disasters
Maybe that's what the terves are really afraid of. Person with the wrong chromosomes uses a toilet in a Primark and the entire hull disintegrates. No survivors.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe that's what the terves are really afraid of. Person with the wrong chromosomes uses a toilet in a Primark and the entire hull disintegrates. No survivors.
You've got these subs with bathrooms designed for biological women. A transwoman goes in and the male urine stream just punches a hole right through the hull. Implosion! Many such cases!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Classic mistake Bruce. A trans used the wrong bathroom and the whole front fell off.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/HelloH04K0/status/1671250821269291008

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I wonder if they at least saw any cool fish before they got imploded.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The ultimate irony would be getting to see an un-exploded blobfish just before the pressure hosed them.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BazakeMedia/status/1671111055009873920

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Don't worry everyone these brave, brave souls WILL survive... as an exclusive set of NFTs available only on my website.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Core inflation UP to 7.1% last month :gonk:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I appreciate that the space bong lives in the violently weed green room.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's amazing how Oceangate's safety standards amounted to "trust us, bro" and people still threw money at them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A violent implosion and quick death is a bad scenario. A slow suffocation is a worse one. But this morning I've decided there's a yet worse outcome: a tiny leak that takes like several hours to fill up the submersible and slowly increase the pressure to intolerable levels

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
At that pressure, there are no tiny leaks

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Time to raise interest rates again! It hasn’t worked before, maybe it’ll work this time!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pistol_Pete posted:

I guaran-goddamn-tee that the submarine people's cores underwent no inflation whatsoever, and indeed compacted by about 95%

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The greedy, entitled public just need to belt up and accept that they're poorer. End of.
- Someone recently given a life peerage. Or something.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Microplastics posted:

I've decided there's a yet worse outcome:

the submarine rolls somehow and all the contents of the toilet come splashing out everywhere

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Staluigi posted:

The CEO who probably compressed and exploded inside his mad catz death tube was a Captain of Industry who constantly complained about safety regulations for submersibles (and just in general) stifling innovation

/Hutz Business Card

Stifling? Innovation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

worst toilet sinking was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-1206 but i'm positive I've read about others; maybe they were just partial disasters though, not ship loss

actually this one wasn't a direct toilet sinking either, just a partial flooding that caused them to surface while still in an area crawling with British airplanes