Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ThinkTank posted:

It is not sensible to send your submersible past the depth to which it is pressure rated, otherwise they implode.

The company is hilarious incompetent and borderline criminal in it's disregard for safety, but they tested that thing to a reasonable depth. Certainly didn't test it enough or do anywhere near enough "basic safety" before they brought paying customers on board though.

Reasonable testing usually involves testing something beyond the use you expect for it because then you have much more certainty that it will withstand intended use on a regular basis. If you only use something at or before the limits of how you will use it, you are not putting yourself in a position to find out potential points of failure in situations you may not have anticipated during your anticipated use cases. At these depths, you definitely need some overengineering. Otherwise, you are turning every person going on a trip into a guinea pig.

Everything we have been learning about how this company operates is that their testing and design decisions were informed by a high amount of wishful thinking and hubris. Any testing they did was probably done on a "get to yes" basis as opposed to truly testing out their designs to determine if they were actually safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

almost1337 posted:

Closer to shards of im/exploded carbon fiber, so even lower odds of finding it.

Three Olives posted:

Pretty sure the pressure wave would turn the carbon fiber into like a gazillion pieces. As I understand it, the carbon fiber aspect of carbon fiber is just a binding material for the actual structure which is resin, so pretty brittle, I would think the pressure wave would just turn the resin into dust instantly, ripping the carbon fiber into a billion pieces in the process.

Sydin posted:

It's worse: the dipshit CEO decided to make the sub out of carbon fibers because NASA but not only is this apparently a miserable material for high pressure environments, when it does fail to pressure it does so quickly, catastrophically, and shatters rather than bending or cracking. So it's entirely possible that all you could find is thousands of shattered pieces of carbon fiber, the titanium sealing ring/hatch, some early 2000's gaming and audio equipment, and some greasy pockets of red jelly.

Oh gently caress, I knew about the carbon fiber construction but blanked on it when I wrote that. It's in a million pieces isn't it, goddamn

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
There’s got to be some kind of important reality convergence happening with Groversub, Tom Delonge, and UFOs.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Explaining why things should be tested past expected pressures

Ah that makes sense. I now understand this situation better than the late CEO of Oceangate.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
somewhere in the sub there is a hidden revolver with only 4 bullets. but which billionaire can find it??? netflix i am open to discussions

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m gonna call this another W for James Cameron. Dude goes to the titanic like people go to Trader Joe’s and I never hear him getting stuck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m gonna call this another W for James Cameron. Dude goes to the titanic like people go to Trader Joe’s and I never hear him getting stuck.

He literally complained his wife called him on his cellphone while at the wreck.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Probably unrelated for science reasons I’m not smart enough to understand, but paintball air tanks (the little ones that attach to the gun and you run around with) are made from wrapped carbon fiber like the groversub, and charge up to 4500psi very safely. If the pressure vessel on those bottles were to fail at full pressure, it would explode and kill anyone nearby.

Because of this, my understanding is that safety standards require, when these 4500psi-rated bottles are manufactured, each bottle has to be pressurised to triple the rated pressure (so in this case, 13,500psi) and show no signs of defect afterwards (and also not explode) before it can be sold to a customer.

Every bottle has an inspection plate on it, and every so often (I can’t remember now but I think it’s every couple of years) has to be retested, again at triple the rated pressure, before you are allowed to keep using it. If it shows signs of weakness (or explodes) during that re-test, you go buy another one.

I believe the logic here is that if the pressure vessel can survive 3x rated pressure in optimal testing conditions without damage, then it can survive a couple of years of some idiot goon (me) running around a field with it at 4500psi.

I think it’s important that the groversub be tested at depths much deeper than the titanic for the same reason. If you only test it to titanic depths, then you can’t really know for sure whether it’s completely safe at that depth or whether that’s right on the limit of what it’s capable of.

Unexpected lol in this thread that paintball guns have more regulations than assault rifles

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's weirdly difficult to find all that much about action group other than their (flagship) aviation division

it's practically impossible to find anything about the late Hamish Harding except his adventure and airplane stuff he advertised loving everywhere

His company was based in Dubai. He's 100% dealing in shady business including slave labor.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

How is any of this real? Lmao

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The submarine was designed by Charlie Munger.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Five points to the orcas

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I took the sub, it was a diving night
A quarter mil, to see titanic sights
We started looking out, a 10 inch piece of glass
But then the rivets all came free
And that's about the time the walls caved in on me

Nobody wants to be a panini
And be stuck in water to decompose
What the hell is PSI?
poo poo there goes the pressure gauge
How much did I spend?
How much did I spend?

just catching up on this thread, this was amazing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I know the reason all ships handy are going to help is because at sea you always help if you're able to. But I'd like to think those pipe layers aren't looking very hard.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

And he turned his hobby trip into a movie like the world's most expensive Youtuber.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
Why wasn't this thing tethered? I'm not saying it should have been because I'm a stupid internet commenter so what do I know, but the sub needed to go about 4km down and that doesn't seem impossibly long for a billionnaires tether.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im just gonna search this spot in the ocean, real loving thoroughly. So thoroughly you wouldn't believe. Sure its a 1x1 meter square, but by god Ill make sure no dead billionaires are there.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Why wasn't this thing tethered? I'm not saying it should have been because I'm a stupid internet commenter so what do I know, but the sub needed to go about 4km down and that doesn't seem impossibly long for a billionnaires tether.

they couldn’t find a 4km tether on amazon

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Entanglement risk.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

holefoods posted:

Amazon seems too rich for these folks blood. Wish.com of submarines

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

holefoods posted:

the trick is to tweet that you want to buy one and an AI will setup a storefront where you can buy a 4 km tether automatically

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Barudak posted:

Amazon seems too rich for these folks blood. Wish.com of submarines

I'm sure they at least sprung for Temu

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Seriously, if there was anyone who could find these people it would totally be James Cameron. But I don't think he has any interest in it.

Also, didn't some scientists say that the Titanic would be totally gone in a few years?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Cable is heavy. 4km of cable is extremely heavy and difficult to spool.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Basically the ocean currents would cause it to swing around so much they'd die from injuries hitting each other/the hull before reaching the titanic.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

we all died in a ghetto submarine

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

smoobles posted:

we all died in a ghetto submarine

:emptyquote:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just use fishing line, it’s crazy strong.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Hi, I'm Stockton Rush, and welcome to Jackass.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Spiderweb silk.

Flextape?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Random Stranger posted:

I know the reason all ships handy are going to help is because at sea you always help if you're able to. But I'd like to think those pipe layers aren't looking very hard.

they're all about laying pipe, not giving a handy

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

How strong is fiberoptic cable? I can find REALLY long ones on amazon.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
I’m imagining if they are alive rn, waiting to die that they are spending their final moments berating the ceo, good customer service tbh

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i'm sorry to report all the occupants have been teamkilled

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Are the sandbags with sharpie writing on them “26 lbs” hanging beneath the steel pipe part of the ballast? Lol

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

blight rhino posted:

and also lol the StepSon living his life at the Blink 182 concert about to be like a more multi-millionaire.

🎶 All the.... small things...
Like mom's... new fling...
Crushed to.... 1D
By the... deep sea

Dad's dead... but though...
You're here... at my show...
Tweeting... Drinking...
In-her-i-ti-ing

Say it ain't so
To the wreck they go
Chamberpot is full
Breaches in the hull

Na-na na na na na-na na-na...
🎶

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Are the sandbags with sharpie writing on them “26 lbs” hanging beneath the steel pipe part of the ballast? Lol

That is actually kind of normal, it's ballast, you don't spend a bunch of money on something you are planning on leaving on the sea floor so it looks nice in photos before launch.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

wet_goods posted:

I’m imagining if they are alive rn, waiting to die that they are spending their final moments berating the ceo, good customer service tbh

100% if they didn't die instantly they spending their last moments kicking the poo poo out of that moron

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Super comedy option

The electronics failed

The emergency "get to the surface" system (if they had one) goes and they all go "phew so glad we got out of that one lads"

Only to be lost at sea with no backup communication system and everyone is kinda scanning the ocean when they are dieing of c02 poisoning on the surface like 100 miles away

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Further Reading posted:

He said to anywhere deeper than the titanic. The titanic is as deep as the titanic.

I'm not an ocean man though so I'm not sure how needed that level of testing would be.

https://youtu.be/Ai2HmvAXcU0

This is the 777 having its wings load tested to failure. However much more than they should normally bend in an extreme scenario, that multiplier is the safety factor far above loads they will generally encounter. (The money shot failure is at 2:29 or so)

Look at how many people are involved, and how coordinated it is. Realize that every part is certified before it goes into a plane, down to the screws. All of this makes usually cheap parts extremely expensive because they have been tested so thoroughly.

Then think about this sub and how many jankass shortcuts the owner took. I hope they’re located and saved because honestly he doesn’t deserve a 100ms painless blink from existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

Probably unrelated for science reasons I’m not smart enough to understand, but paintball air tanks (the little ones that attach to the gun and you run around with) are made from wrapped carbon fiber like the groversub, and charge up to 4500psi very safely. If the pressure vessel on those bottles were to fail at full pressure, it would explode and kill anyone nearby.

Because of this, my understanding is that safety standards require, when these 4500psi-rated bottles are manufactured, each bottle has to be pressurised to triple the rated pressure (so in this case, 13,500psi) and show no signs of defect afterwards (and also not explode) before it can be sold to a customer.

Every bottle has an inspection plate on it, and every so often (I can’t remember now but I think it’s every couple of years) has to be retested, again at triple the rated pressure, before you are allowed to keep using it. If it shows signs of weakness (or explodes) during that re-test, you go buy another one.

I believe the logic here is that if the pressure vessel can survive 3x rated pressure in optimal testing conditions without damage, then it can survive a couple of years of some idiot goon (me) running around a field with it at 4500psi.

I think it’s important that the groversub be tested at depths much deeper than the titanic for the same reason. If you only test it to titanic depths, then you can’t really know for sure whether it’s completely safe at that depth or whether that’s right on the limit of what it’s capable of.

Someone has surely beat me to it but this has been covered already. Paintball tanks are under tension, i.e. the pressure is pushing out against the tank not compression pushing in against it. It’s good at tension, not compression.