Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Crafting question.

We’ve got a silver cane sword that no one can use or wants to use. What’s the easiest way to like reforge it into something else?

Otari has a blacksmith so presumably we just ask him to do it but what does that cost vs just buying a new low-grade silver weapon for 40gp?

In November rogues will officially get access to all martial weapons. If you have one in your party they should ask about being allowed to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

In November rogues will officially get access to all martial weapons. If you have one in your party they should ask about being allowed to use it.

It’s me! But too late melted down to scrap. Or rather reforged into a short sword to one day join a cold iron rapier once I’ve got 40ish golds.

Was looking at martial weapons that would be good, but rapier with that deadly d8 still seems like the best main weapon?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It’s me! But too late melted down to scrap. Or rather reforged into a short sword to one day join a cold iron rapier once I’ve got 40ish golds.

Was looking at martial weapons that would be good, but rapier with that deadly d8 still seems like the best main weapon?

The light hammer is okay. Only a d6 but it's critical effect is knocked prone. All the flails and hammers do knocked prone. The Spiked Chain is finesse and d8, but you'd need the right kind of guy to pull that one off, lol.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Facebook Aunt posted:

The light hammer is okay. Only a d6 but it's critical effect is knocked prone. All the flails and hammers do knocked prone. The Spiked Chain is finesse and d8, but you'd need the right kind of guy to pull that one off, lol.

They've also confirmed that knocking prone on a crit is getting a saving throw added.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

What's everyone's feelings about the Marshal dedication? Maybe it's my desire to re-create a 4e Warlord, but it feels a little underwhelming as an option for a fighter at least...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

What's everyone's feelings about the Marshal dedication? Maybe it's my desire to re-create a 4e Warlord, but it feels a little underwhelming as an option for a fighter at least...

It’s widely regarded as one of the strongest archetypes for anyone with an investment in charisma and either diplomacy or intimidation; I think Dread Marshal (the intimidate based version) is considered as a bit better as inspiring marshal has problems with not stacking with a bard.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Yeah the only trick is investing enough to trigger the stance. Otherwise it's great.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chevy Slyme posted:

It’s widely regarded as one of the strongest archetypes for anyone with an investment in charisma and either diplomacy or intimidation; I think Dread Marshal (the intimidate based version) is considered as a bit better as inspiring marshal has problems with not stacking with a bard.

while true if you don't have a bard inspiring marshal is still phenomenal

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

while true if you don't have a bard inspiring marshal is still phenomenal

or if the bard transitions into using dirge of doom instead of inspire courage

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm planning on going for marshal dedication with my wit swashbuckler. We have a bard but I'm still undecided on if I'm going dread or inspiring for stance.

I'm going with cooperative nature / one for all so I'm investing more in diplomacy to be a hype-man, so inspiring stance would be better. We're still a long ways from level 4 so I'll have time to talk options with the bard.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Do small size character use smaller weapons? Or does a halfling fighter just use the standard weapon sizes/damage dice? Do they lose reach off of polearms?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

RAW you use standard weapons with no loss of reach.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SilverMike posted:

RAW you use standard weapons with no loss of reach.

Good- that's what I figured :)

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Do small size character use smaller weapons? Or does a halfling fighter just use the standard weapon sizes/damage dice? Do they lose reach off of polearms?

Sprites are the only ancestry that reduces their reach, going down to 0 feet range.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Coming from such a long time spent playing 3.5 and games like it, the fact that smaller and larger creatures don't use different statistics on their weapons took me a while to adjust to. I kept assuming that it was the case and then kept looking for the rules.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
It does lead to funny images like my 3 foot tall kobold bard wielding a 4 foot long sword cane. I've thought about using it to make him a stand-up bass style lute.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
my buddy dming just goes 'small size weapons deal the same damage as medium and all smiths know an easy ritual that resizes equipment.' he bases this on the fact that his 6 year old accidentally hit him in the nuts with a stick and it hurt so bad he almost went to the hospital. well that and the fact that all the ancient heroes of history were all like 4 feet tall lol.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Forget the weapons, it's really funny when someone 3 feet tall has 18 strength.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Forget the weapons, it's really funny when someone 3 feet tall has 18 strength.

according to the stats your average human day laborer/farmer commoner has a strength of 16, and that's without any special workouts or training. 18 is thereby definitely achievable for someone that size realistically. I am biased because one of my favorite characters ever was a halfling barbarian who rode around on dinosaur with a falchion.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The dinosaur had a falchion!?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

according to the stats your average human day laborer/farmer commoner has a strength of 16, and that's without any special workouts or training. 18 is thereby definitely achievable for someone that size realistically. I am biased because one of my favorite characters ever was a halfling barbarian who rode around on dinosaur with a falchion.

I know that D&D5e tried to pass it as "a 10 in STR is a very conditioned athlete" and that never worked; where are you getting the 16 = well-conditioned info? I believe you just really want to know where so I can start throwing it at my players.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

I know that D&D5e tried to pass it as "a 10 in STR is a very conditioned athlete" and that never worked; where are you getting the 16 = well-conditioned info? I believe you just really want to know where so I can start throwing it at my players.

uh like I said that is just the straight strength score of a basic rear end commoner

https://2e.aonprd.com/NPCs.aspx?ID=898

if a cr -1 commoner isn't a good baseline for an average in shape joe rando off the street I dunno what would be.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

boxen posted:

It does lead to funny images like my 3 foot tall kobold bard wielding a 4 foot long sword cane. I've thought about using it to make him a stand-up bass style lute.

It worked out quite well when I made a Pixie heritage Sprite and realized I could just use a picture of a lalafell dark knight in FF14 to represent her since she hit the rough height approximation of a Small creature and had a greatsword literally taller than her. :v:

E: Like, I rolled up with this for my Foundry token and everyone was like "yep that tracks"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Weapon sizes and restrictions on small PCs are a classic example of rules as a way to preserve verisimilitude being at odds with player empowerment. One the one hand, yes, it makes sense logically that smaller races would wield smaller weapons and that the rules should reflect that.

On the other hand, halflings with 18 Strength wielding great swords is awesome and the rules shouldn't disincentivise things that are awesome

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Froghammer posted:

Weapon sizes and restrictions on small PCs are a classic example of rules as a way to preserve verisimilitude being at odds with player empowerment. One the one hand, yes, it makes sense logically that smaller races would wield smaller weapons and that the rules should reflect that.

On the other hand, halflings with 18 Strength wielding great swords is awesome and the rules shouldn't disincentivise things that are awesome

It would be rad if there was an archetype dedicated to wielding weapons that are one or two size categories larger than what you can normally wield. Let a dedicated player wield that fire giant's sword.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Arrrthritis posted:

It would be rad if there was an archetype dedicated to wielding weapons that are one or two size categories larger than what you can normally wield. Let a dedicated player wield that fire giant's sword.

At the risk of :thejoke: is this not exactly what Giant Instinct Barbarian is?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's not an archetype though :( (but is cool!)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

DemonMage posted:

That's not an archetype though :( (but is cool!)

Ah, yeah, fair. You could apply it to other things through Barb Dedication and Instinct Ability at 6th, but that's a bit deep into an adventure.

It's also probably the instinct I would've chosen for above said sprite if my group was running with Free Archetype (she's a fighter), but I didn't have the feat slots to snag Instinct Ability so I'm using Spirit instead to basically analogize her nascent link to the First World and how she'll sometimes just go into a fae battle trance on a whim.

Fun character, it's really neat juxtaposing "shockingly upbeat and personable sellsword" with "loses herself in frothing battle rage if someone pisses her off". :D

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

How do y'all run downtime? If a player wants to shop to buy something mundane and easily accessible like a dagger, do you make that their downtime activity for the week? What if it's something rarer?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

uh like I said that is just the straight strength score of a basic rear end commoner

https://2e.aonprd.com/NPCs.aspx?ID=898

if a cr -1 commoner isn't a good baseline for an average in shape joe rando off the street I dunno what would be.

Dang. Have you seen the begger? A guy typically unfit for any work, with disease, disability or addiction problems?
Str +1, Dex +3, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +1, Cha +1 A beast! https://2e.aonprd.com/NPCs.aspx?ID=897

The beggar has a total of +8, the commoner a total +7. If I'm reading this right a first level adventurer will have +9, so by design adventurers are not exceptional people. Only very slightly above average to start.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Reminder that the GMG makes it very clear that there's no world simulation aspect to NPC stats and it's just supposed to be what's challenging and interesting for the game. Now, please return to having fun with your thought exercise.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

How do y'all run downtime? If a player wants to shop to buy something mundane and easily accessible like a dagger, do you make that their downtime activity for the week? What if it's something rarer?

I imagine anything labelled Common could be done without downtime. Uncommon might take downtime depending on the size of the settlement, and Rare would almost certainly take downtime. At least that's how I would run it.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Arivia posted:

Reminder that the GMG makes it very clear that there's no world simulation aspect to NPC stats and it's just supposed to be what's challenging and interesting for the game. Now, please return to having fun with your thought exercise.

But also, unless you're making having a high attribute your thing, attributes are a really boring thing to treat as a uniquely heroic trait. It just kinda feels nice to say that if you're good at your job you probably have a 16 in your main stat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kyrosiris posted:

Ah, yeah, fair. You could apply it to other things through Barb Dedication and Instinct Ability at 6th, but that's a bit deep into an adventure.

It's also probably the instinct I would've chosen for above said sprite if my group was running with Free Archetype (she's a fighter), but I didn't have the feat slots to snag Instinct Ability so I'm using Spirit instead to basically analogize her nascent link to the First World and how she'll sometimes just go into a fae battle trance on a whim.

Fun character, it's really neat juxtaposing "shockingly upbeat and personable sellsword" with "loses herself in frothing battle rage if someone pisses her off". :D

I had a halfling barbarian in 5e who was basically "proper upper class lady but possessed by tiger spirit" and it was a lot of fun.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lurks With Wolves posted:

But also, unless you're making having a high attribute your thing, attributes are a really boring thing to treat as a uniquely heroic trait. It just kinda feels nice to say that if you're good at your job you probably have a 16 in your main stat.

True. It's also possible that these are the commoners most likely to get into a fight. Non-combatants don't need stats.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

True. It's also possible that these are the commoners most likely to get into a fight. Non-combatants don't need stats.

yes they do! it's also in the GMG! NPCs can have stats and be a challenge for things other than combat encounters - the sample judge NPC is the easiest example, where they're crap in a fight but are level 11 or whatever in a diplomacy encounter.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Regarding the upcoming change to the rules for regaining focus points-

Do I have it correct that, currently, if you had a character who had 3 focus points and spent them all in an encounter, you can only "hold" 1 point maximum after refocusing for the rest of the day? The extra two points are basically two freebies but you can only ever refocus 1 for subsequent encounters?

And the change to the rules is basically "actually you can just refocus 3 times and go back up to 3/3 points so long as you have the time to do it"?

Honestly that's how I thought it worked all along.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scoss posted:

Regarding the upcoming change to the rules for regaining focus points-

Do I have it correct that, currently, if you had a character who had 3 focus points and spent them all in an encounter, you can only "hold" 1 point maximum after refocusing for the rest of the day? The extra two points are basically two freebies but you can only ever refocus 1 for subsequent encounters?

And the change to the rules is basically "actually you can just refocus 3 times and go back up to 3/3 points so long as you have the time to do it"?

Honestly that's how I thought it worked all along.

the change is going to be something in that direction, but they haven't explained exactly what the mechanism is. It definitely isn't how it worked all along because most of the focus casting classes have a feat around level 10 to let them do something in that vein.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

Sprites are the only ancestry that reduces their reach, going down to 0 feet range.

video of the sprite experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QX_IGLWRrI&t=990s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Jarvisi posted:

The Toy Poppet heritage will also drop your reach to 0