Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oops, all luxury condos!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mycomancy posted:

I really think this one is the make or break. If the system holds up under this then we're never gonna see a collapse outside of a global nuclear exchange or a comet or something.

eh, there's always climate change

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

i live in the loving bay area, most expensive metro area in america, (berkeley) and only pay $1980 for 1 br.

that's gotta be rent control pricing, right? less and less of those available every year

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DancingShade posted:

Spending your last hours on the surface, bolted into your sweltering airtight coffin that spins continuously in the ocean as every surface gets covered in vomit.

Washing up on Africa 3 years from now.

drat what happens to the first 2 africas in the meantime?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

lmao $2000 for a 1br in pittsburgh. who the hell is paying those prices?????

i live in the loving bay area, most expensive metro area in america, (berkeley) and only pay $1980 for 1 br.

These prices are becoming the norm almost everywhere. I live in a place no one has ever heard of in CT and $2k/mo is average to cheap for a new construction 1 br apartment downtown.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Oops, all luxury condos!

Sports radio today went into the new generation of stadiums being built now and for the next thirty years, case in point Buffalo's new stadium. It's got 8,000 fewer seats than the current stadium and the focus will be on luxury suites. The consensus is that the new stadiums will stop focusing entirely on normal seats for normal people and entirely on luxury experiences for the rich and that this will be the standard going forward. Love my bifurcating economy.

Apr 7, 2003

Luxury cars for luxury people, luxury experiences for luxury people, luxury food for luxury people, and god help you if you aren't a luxury person.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sports radio today went into the new generation of stadiums being built now and for the next thirty years, case in point Buffalo's new stadium. It's got 8,000 fewer seats than the current stadium and the focus will be on luxury suites. The consensus is that the new stadiums will stop focusing entirely on normal seats for normal people and entirely on luxury experiences for the rich and that this will be the standard going forward. Love my bifurcating economy.

Taxpayer subsidized. It'll bring jobs (minimum wage) and tax revenue (explicitly exempt from tax)

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Luxury cars for luxury people, luxury experiences for luxury people, luxury food for luxury people, and god help you if you aren't a luxury person.

America owns

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sports radio today went into the new generation of stadiums being built now and for the next thirty years, case in point Buffalo's new stadium. It's got 8,000 fewer seats than the current stadium and the focus will be on luxury suites. The consensus is that the new stadiums will stop focusing entirely on normal seats for normal people and entirely on luxury experiences for the rich and that this will be the standard going forward. Love my birfurcating economy.

A member of my wife's extended family married into enough wealth that they were able to afford two "lifetime" or "founders" seats at Chase Center (Warriors' ritzy SF arena) and my understanding is that they regularly take clients out to games for tax write-offs

That's the future of professional sports in America, that and wall-to-wall gambling

Apr 7, 2003

"We ran from window to window to get World Series tickets at Fenway as kids. They were $1.75 in 1975!" - Bob Costas, 1994

Today:

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

A member of my wife's extended family married into enough wealth that they were able to afford two "lifetime" or "founders" seats at Chase Center (Warriors' ritzy SF arena) and my understanding is that they regularly take clients out to games for tax write-offs

That's the future of professional sports in America, that and wall-to-wall gambling

Morton's Steakhouse, but for sports

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

even musk is smart enough to stfu on this one, for now

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Relevant Tangent posted:

eh, there's always climate change
The Earth could be a barren hellscape and number would still be ascendant.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

afaict they're rented up and there's a waiting list, unless that's bullshit and they're pretending

being five over ones, the retail space on the ground floor is empty and always will be

must every new apartment complex look like this now

Apr 7, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-over-1

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yes because it's the cheapest way to build a new apartment building

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
This list of deceased 1st class passengers on the Titanic is incomplete. You have helped by expanding it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

well that's loving dreadful knowledge you've forced on me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

check out the City Authentic. david banks was on TrueAnon (twice), Tech Wont Save us, and This Machine Kills if you listen to those podcasts
http://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=31A6D30E6F68E605453A174DEF1149DB

5 over 1 is fine, good even, but the problem is they want like $2000 a month for a 1br and always vacant retail floor with like $100/sq ft pricing. they should be 1/10th that cost

also something other than flipper grey. flipper grey sucks dick

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

also something other than flipper grey. flipper grey sucks dick

best I can do is white, white, and black

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Vox Nihili posted:

best I can do is white, white, and black

:suicide:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I honestly don't know why everyone hates 5 over 1s. They are the cheapest thing that can be built, these are the urban equivalent of double wide trailers. It's like complaining about the Mitsubishi Mirage being a lovely car, it's the cheapest thing sold, what the gently caress do you want?

The US can't afford anything better. Look at what 100+ year old workforce housing that was cheap and lovely when it was new rents for now in Boston.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I had a Mirage as a rental once. It’s not bad at all.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/titanic-submersible-missing-searchers-heard-banging-1234774674/

maybe still alive(till the air runs out)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they’d be closer to acceptable if the retail units were ever actually occupied

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mycomancy posted:

Yes, I think that's what I was trying to articulate. Like, coal makes a loving mess, is horrible PR, and isn't even that good of a fuel, so why not jump on nuclear? The answer is you can't get millions of Appalachians to enrich uranium for a gigajoule per penny or whatever, more high tech energy industries require less exploitable labor at this current time. So get the cheap poo poo using the most exploitable labor you can find. I get it now, thank you.

"Fossil Capital" talks about how one of the big advantages to fossil fuels, over renewables (or nuclear) is that the fuel can be stored and carted around for profitability's sake.

If you dig up uranium out of the ground, you get to ship it to a nuclear power plant, yes, but a plant doesn't need so much uranium that it can be the basis for lots of market activity, and the number of nuclear power plants is so low (even if everyone went nuclear) that you can't use the mass movement of fissionable material for economic/political leverage.

There's also a lot of sunk cost in fossil fuel infrastructure by now: once you've spent however many billions in setting up a mine to extract coal, the processing of the coal into a usable form, the transportation to bring it from the mine to the power plant, and the power plant, you're on the hook to so many other people, and for so much money, that one can no longer countenance the possibility of moving away from this paradigm. Too big to fail.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

A DHS official told Rolling Stone, that as of 5 hours ago the Titan still had 40 hours of oxygen left and stated that the “situation looks bleak,” adding that they believe the banging was coming from the craft, but that haven’t heard any noise since yesterday.

there are a lot of random noises in the ocean and most searches for lost submarines have had random noises heard during the search that were later found to be nothing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

cat botherer posted:

The Earth could be a barren hellscape and number would still be ascendant.

number rises eternal, regardless
i was thinking collapse in terms of civilization

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Surely new construction will make prices lower any moment now

I pay less than that for about the same thing in Santa Cruz CA, a 1 minute walk away from the beach lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/PhilKomarny/status/1669301379981246464

Good lord, that's 86% percent; there is a reason I am planning to hard exit the MS ecosystem before they add these drat things to everything.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilKomarny/status/1669301379981246464

Good lord, that's 86% percent; there is a reason I am planning to hard exit the MS ecosystem before they add these drat things to everything.

a company run by fresh college graduates wouldn't do this poorly

the internet will soon be dead

huzzah

Morbus
May 18, 2004

holy poo poo lol

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

a company run by fresh college graduates wouldn't do this poorly

the internet will soon be dead

huzzah

We're on a path to hard AI winter by middle of decade, lobbying or no.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

euphronius posted:

Should have used a hotas

i got a hotas for ya

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Morbus posted:

holy poo poo lol

Temporarily embarrassed billionaires: this is a bad joke!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
no me hotas, pendejo

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Twerk from Home posted:

I honestly don't know why everyone hates 5 over 1s. They are the cheapest thing that can be built, these are the urban equivalent of double wide trailers. It's like complaining about the Mitsubishi Mirage being a lovely car, it's the cheapest thing sold, what the gently caress do you want?

The US can't afford anything better. Look at what 100+ year old workforce housing that was cheap and lovely when it was new rents for now in Boston.

it rules that we just turned cities into the suburbs except several times more expensive. the same set of mostly ipa microbreweries, axe throwing bars, dog salons, and ghost kitchens everywhere you go. ooh we've got a rooftop pickleball court, that'll be an extra $500 a month thank you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

i believe without dishwashers and washing machines and instant cake mix and vacuum cleaners and universal public education you wouldn't have feminism.

So long as house work, child rearing was a necessary 'full time job' somebody had to do it and while the choice of gender to define it was arbitrary there wasn't any hope of liberation from someone doing it.

in the same way capitalism wasn't going to take off until you have these technologies and resources like oil but you can't really say it works because of oil any more than women's liberation is really just a vacuum cleaner

edit: in other words, labor's productivity was too low before the 18th century to really do the 'free labor' thing generally. fossil fuels increase productivity to the level where capitalist exploitation is viable, but it's still labor being exploited

water mills were a competitive power source to coal at the time of the Industrial Revolution, but coal was selected because you couldn't concentrate labor and productivity when you were tied to the land, compared to being tied to wherever you placed the coal driven engine, and distributing the flow of water power across multiple capitalists operating in the same region would require collective action that would prevent the concentration of wealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

It would be fine if they priced them that way, instead of an endless crescendo of faux-"luxury" developments, each more expensive than the last