Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
You can usually replace that thing with a simple RCA to coax plug adapter nowadays, since most of the time you won’t have an actual cable box competing with the console for the jack on the TV. Way easier to source and a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I refuse to believe that works.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

When I bought my last bedroom TV, I had to search for a while to find one with the inputs I wanted.

Insignia sold one in c. 2018 with a coaxial input. No idea if they still do now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
TVs still have coax for hooking up antennas, but as flavor.flv noted above, newer TVs won't know what to do with an analog signal over it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mlnhd posted:

I refuse to believe that works.

It worked as recently as 14 years ago but mileage may vary apparently. :v:

I only ever used them with CRTs to be honest, so the digital switchover wasn’t really a problem I had to think about.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

TVs still have coax for hooking up antennas, but as flavor.flv noted above, newer TVs won't know what to do with an analog signal over it.

There were digital-to-analog coax in, coax out converters a while back to accommodate SDTV owners with antennas after the digital switchover but I can't find any new ones for sale now.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There were digital-to-analog coax in, coax out converters a while back to accommodate SDTV owners with antennas after the digital switchover but I can't find any new ones for sale now.

A search for "ATSC converter" pulls some up. I've got one hooked up to my gaming CRT as a novelty.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Useful enough, I also realized that I got the conversion backwards. oh well

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
drat.
My cousin gifted me his Socrates when I was a kid. I just retrieved it fromy parents' a few weeks back and thought about having my kids suffer through it as I did.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Did anyone else have a VTECH Video Painter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsZqq_to0g

My mom used to have a really strange hang up about video games when I was growing up but let us have one of these. I spent way too much time drawing random poo poo on this thing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dip Viscous posted:

Hold up, then how do I have my Atari 2600 hooked up to my (new) TV via the coax jack?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Hold up, then how do I have my Atari 2600 hooked up to my (new) TV via the coax jack?

Wanna bet a lot of new TVs have analog tuners because they use boards originally designed back when it was necessary, and they've either never changed the design or have like 40 000 000 000 of them in stock?

E: also huge parts of the world have analog broadcasts. It's just easier for the factory to build all the same model for a global market.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wanna bet a lot of new TVs have analog tuners because they use boards originally designed back when it was necessary, and they've either never changed the design or have like 40 000 000 000 of them in stock?

E: also huge parts of the world have analog broadcasts. It's just easier for the factory to build all the same model for a global market.

Yep, just got it working by plugging it directly into my TV's coax lmao

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
If a TV still supports composite video I'm not sure why it wouldn't support NTSC over RF given that composite is just NTSC baseband video.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Maybe it's just locked out through firmware or something, but I've never gotten it to work on any HDTV I've had.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The mid-80s equivalent of PassMark

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If a TV still supports composite video I'm not sure why it wouldn't support NTSC over RF given that composite is just NTSC baseband video.

That's the funny thing, mine doesn't have composite input so it was coax or nothing (unless there's some crazy, probably expensive, way to convert to HDMI I guess).

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

drat, I could actually really use one of those. I'd love to get this puppy going again

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dip Viscous posted:

Maybe it's just locked out through firmware or something, but I've never gotten it to work on any HDTV I've had.

this is a genuine bummer. i've held on to some dumb hope that folks could still use some aluminum foil on wire to tune in for their game or whatever once a week. but it really doesnt seem like a thing anymore

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

because that would require an RF tuner, but I doubt most modern TVs would have.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Porfiriato posted:

My new goal in life is to develop a time machine so I can go back and watch the author's reactions in real-time to that TI SR-50 calculator taking 12.7 days to run the program that the Cray ran in 0.01 seconds

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If anyone has a basic interpreter on a modern machine, please enter that in and run it because I want to see all the 0s.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lady Radia posted:

folks could still use some aluminum foil on wire to tune in for their game or whatever once a week.

You pretty much still can. If you make your own Gray-Hovermann its just a bunch of wire bent in a certain way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lowen SoDium posted:

Did anyone else have a VTECH Video Painter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLsZqq_to0g

My mom used to have a really strange hang up about video games when I was growing up but let us have one of these. I spent way too much time drawing random poo poo on this thing.

My aunt got my younger brother one for Christmas back in the day. We, too, used the hell out of it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Lowen SoDium posted:

Most TVs have RF tuners for digital cable or digital over the air TV. Adding analog functionality is only a bunch of code away if it's a software defined tuner.

flavor.flv posted:

drat, I could actually really use one of those. I'd love to get this puppy going again

They're still available pretty easily 2nd hand and from old stock, but if you feel like DIY'ing you can make one yourself: https://www.onetransistor.eu/2015/10/wideband-antenna-matching-transformer.html

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Porfiriato posted:

You know this is serious poo poo since it uses Crillee, the same font also used in the credits of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

Spectrums are suprisingly low. It had a faster CPU than C64, so this benchmark measures more the quality of the built-in BASIC than computer performance.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Maybe, but when your code runs on top of a basic interpreter that you're stuck with you may as well consider that part of the hardware performance

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Sentient Data posted:

Maybe, but when your code runs on top of a basic interpreter that you're stuck with you may as well consider that part of the hardware performance

Depends on how easy it is to write assembly for it, I guess?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lobsterminator posted:

Spectrums are suprisingly low. It had a faster CPU than C64, so this benchmark measures more the quality of the built-in BASIC than computer performance.

The Spectrum's Basic interpreter was optimised for size rather than speed, which makes sense as it's descended from ZX80 Basic, which had to fit in a 4K ROM.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Makes sense how so many game developers found creative ways to unload the built in BASIC from RAM to make the most of the hardware.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

But very few actual programs you'd use were BASIC. It was more just a loader that you used to load machine language programs and do some own programming, maybe. Pretty much all professional games and applications were machine language.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bargearse posted:

Makes sense how so many game developers found creative ways to unload the built in BASIC from RAM to make the most of the hardware.

Some systems required creative ways to do that? Must've sucked.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Some systems required creative ways to do that? Must've sucked.

Yeah that would have sucked hard, if my family didn’t already have an Amiga 2000 with SCSI hard card and RAM expansion, which didn’t require such arcane rituals.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bargearse posted:

Yeah that would have sucked hard, if my family didn’t already have an Amiga 2000 with SCSI hard card and RAM expansion, which didn’t require such arcane rituals.

I mean, the Commodore 64 which was fairly popular, didn't require arcane rituals for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone make a DOS/Win3.1/95/98 era disk wiping program that is appropriate for the hardware of vintage computers? ideally one that boots from floppy?

My understanding is that things like DBAN are too new to boot from floppy, and I need something that will overwrite an entire disk.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is the objective to use the antique hardware to do the wiping as an exercise or do you actually just want to wipe the data? Just move the drive to a modern machine to wipe it using whatever cheap hardware adapters you need.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

Well, it turns out the real reason is NTSC tuning was a FCC requirement until September 2017. That's because low-power stations were still allowed to use NTSC (analog) until fairly recently. That notice cites 47 CFR § 15.117 which itself is a massive relic, given how much verbiage it devotes to ensuring parity in time and effort for tuning VHF and UHF channels, as if that's been a thing since the late 60s.

Your UHF knob is no longer FFC compliant!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

If anyone has a basic interpreter on a modern machine, please enter that in and run it because I want to see all the 0s.
I looped it a thousand times:

code:
6.82121e-13 

real    0m1.219s
user    0m1.216s
sys     0m0.003s

So 0.001219s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Does anyone make a DOS/Win3.1/95/98 era disk wiping program that is appropriate for the hardware of vintage computers? ideally one that boots from floppy?

My understanding is that things like DBAN are too new to boot from floppy, and I need something that will overwrite an entire disk.

98 overlaps with the first linux live-cds. They might have come with a copy of erase, which was the default att iirc. And with bootfloppies to chainload the cd from there.