Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

-

Chamale fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:(

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chamale posted:

Hey diving enthusiasts! My tourism agency, Titan LLC, is hard at work on our next submarine. We've got five new open jobs for people who won't ask questions about the last person to hold the job.

Submarine pilot - must be familiar with a PlayStation controller

Mechanic - minimum five years experience operating a hot glue gun

Lawyer - must know how to write a waterproof liability disclaimer

Orca attack prevention (new listing!)

Quality assurance (new listing!)

The office is a luxurious cruise ship on Newfoundland time, and pay is supplemented by tips from our wealthy clients. Please apply or send to your bravest friends.

:imunfunny:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I dislike billionaires as much as the next person, but like... there's a 19 year old kid in that sub. What a horrendous way to go. :smith:

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Parallelwoody posted:

Subnautica 3.

Natural Selection 3 :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Altera office job desk simulator.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Edit: removed by Battuta request.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 21, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don’t really love being used to celebrate people dying. I know, it’s not called something sensitive, etc etc.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

General Battuta posted:

I don’t really love being used to celebrate people dying. I know, it’s not called something sensitive, etc etc.

Fair enough, I edited out that post. I didn't know that one of the passengers had brought his son on board, which makes the whole thing a lot less funny.

I think it's cool that you went from posting here as a Subnautica fan to getting a job at the studio a few years later. Hopefully you'll find some more goon artists to work with you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The wellbeing of the people in the Titan aside, I think the name of the company's second not-so-deep sub is more relevant to the thread.

https://twitter.com/ANGARIocean/status/1523724483726647300

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chamale posted:

Fair enough, I edited out that post.

Cut mine too.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh...uh...turns out it's not a coincidence. The Cyclops was licensed as a trademark from OceanGate. I guess they must've been well-known in ocean nerd circles.

https://twitter.com/AlexandraErin/status/1672090127999422467

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Crush depth is now 1300 meters.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Hopefully this means it won’t be in Subnautica 2 :v:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Playing through the game for the first time, didn't realize there was a thread plus I had already been spoiled on the important beats of the plot so it would have been less fun anyway.

Regardless I came across a fun... bug(?). I was near an entrance to the Lost River, just faffing about in my Cyclops and there was an Ampeel who would occasionally wander by, bang on the side of the ship, then wander away for a few minutes before repeating. No idea how long this went on for, maybe 15 minutes? Anyway, he apparently knocked so good that 3 of the Wall Lockers in the bottom deck (near the forward bulkhead to the Prawn chamber) fell completely out of the Cyclops and onto the ground below it. Never seen this before, is this a known bug? Should I avoid building wall lockers in those spots? I looked a little and did t see any similar reports podt-2.0

I have about 30 wall lockers down there and have since I got the thing so if this becomes A Thing I may need to make a second Cyclops for exploring and fighting and relegate this one to permanent Manufactorum duty.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Plastik posted:

Playing through the game for the first time, ...
I have about 30 wall lockers down there and have since I got the thing so if this becomes A Thing...

Huh. Subnautica is indeed a buggy game, even after years of patches and many many other, different bugs that's the first time I've heard of that happening. I think I've had... three playthroughs and always outfitted my Cyclops similar as yours, but never experienced that particular adventure. I would empty those wayward lockers, deconstruct them, replace them, and not worry about it.

If it happens again, (which I entirely believe could happen again, Subnautica is just like that) then maybe you're a special kind of lucky.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i had that same thing happen to me right down to being just outside an entrance to the lost river and it made me so paranoid that i never put up small lockers in there again. i ended up making a couple of large storage lockers upstairs, hoping that if they clipped they'd just fall into the lower section, but i never once saw it happen after that. i wonder if that area is to blame, because this is the only time i've seen anyone else mention it!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Plastik posted:

Playing through the game for the first time, didn't realize there was a thread plus I had already been spoiled on the important beats of the plot so it would have been less fun anyway.

There isn’t all that much chitchat and new players are fun for everyone to enjoy that first time experience vicariously. My memory is that people are always decent here about not spoiling things when someone is posting through their first playthrough.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zesty posted:

There isn’t all that much chitchat and new players are fun for everyone to enjoy that first time experience vicariously. My memory is that people are always decent here about not spoiling things when someone is posting through their first playthrough.

I think it's both us being Good Goons, and also Subnautica as an experience is so treasured by most if not all of us that we just want that first time feeling again, even vicariously.

At least that's how I feel.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The last first timer here only get spoiled by himself whilst poorly pretending that he hadn't, I think the thread is pretty much in agreement that it's a game that moreso than most others really benefits from going in blind and the experiencing the wonder and terror without foreknowledge

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
You never forget your first Sunbeam.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You never forget your first reaper

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You never forget the first time that spooky 'oh god is this chase music? Am I being chased?!' plays out in the depths

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You never forget your first "why is my base full of water the integrity is 20.5."

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I probably will never again enjoy a game as janky programming-wise as Subnautica. It's just so good I accepted the bugginess, and I never do that

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You never forget your first Cyclops vs Seatruck argument

Unless you incorrectly picked the Seatruck as superior in which case you are probably used to being wrong all the time

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Bad Munki posted:

You never forget your first Cyclops vs Seatruck argument

Unless you incorrectly picked the Seatruck as superior in which case you are probably used to being wrong all the time

:hmmyes:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The Cyclops is amazing and exploring it for the first time is unmatched in terms of shock and excitement. BUT since you can’t recreate that feeling in the sequel I’m glad the Seatruck exists.

Perfect for the cave-heavy late game and discovering new modules is almost as cool as finding out the Cyclops has a dry dock*

(Yes I know that info is in the database but I can’t read)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I do love the idea of the seatruck, the concept.

Ideally, it should be a better seamoth (main truck cabin) and then a better Cyclops (all of the attachments added on).

Instead, it is not as good as either of those things, at least to me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m on team Cyclops, that thing owns and is fun as hell to pilot around.

The sea truck is a great idea and concept but the world and level design of below zero sucks for it to be in. Honestly the sea truck would be much more fun to pilot around in the original game. (But it already has the superior Cyclops…)

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

The voice of the Cyclops makes it feel like, finally, you have a partner and friend with which to explore this new and alien world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4HJ4k0lmws

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I do love the idea of the seatruck, the concept.

Ideally, it should be a better seamoth (main truck cabin) and then a better Cyclops (all of the attachments added on).

Instead, it is not as good as either of those things, at least to me.

"Let's add this great modular system to let them upgrade their mobile base as they progress but also make it look like poo poo and punish the player for adding too many of the modules"

It was so close to a good idea that whiffed right at the end.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Seamoth is the pinnacle of the vehicles. I have a need for speed.

Also the best voice is the coffee machine's, very cutely asking me if I would like some

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 25, 2023

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

“You are the best captain on the planet. I’m not even squidding!”

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Rynoto posted:

"Let's add this great modular system to let them upgrade their mobile base as they progress but also make it look like poo poo and punish the player for adding too many of the modules"

It was so close to a good idea that whiffed right at the end.

Well, also, the modules seemed mostly useless. Like they'd be better applicable in a harsher area. Automatically collecting fish? Ok, but I'm filled with food already.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, also, the modules seemed mostly useless. Like they'd be better applicable in a harsher area. Automatically collecting fish? Ok, but I'm filled with food already.

Scanner Room Module was right there! and they hosed it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Endless Trash posted:

Scanner Room Module was right there! and they hosed it

A "sonar repellent" module would be great; you dial the intensity, which can deter bigger creatures based on how much it's turned up, at the expense of battery life. You get a temporary safe space, and the level of safety is down to how much power you have available.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nothing in below zero is actually a threat at all so that'd just be a useless module

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nothing in below zero is actually a threat at all so that'd just be a useless module

Magarite is a threat. :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Marguerit is an inescapable force of nature.