Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Btw yall roasting a guy for playing games on a games forum is just completely counter intuitive.

SNYPED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Pickles posted:

Btw yall roasting a guy for playing games on a games forum is just completely counter intuitive.

SNYPED

Playing games is tired. Talking about how much you hate games is the new hotness.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll check back in 6 months.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
I think I'm done with the game for now and will wait until season starts. I'm level 70 and can do NM dungeons in the 21-25 range well enough, I can see where the grind goes, but don't really see the point. It's a well made game, but I kinda want to play it 1-2 years down the line when the edges are smoothed out and itemization is better.

It feels in a weird spot, the feeling of lonely dread and desolation you got in D2 because you were alone and every step out of town took you deeper into a horrid, demon infested world and reaching each new waypoint was such a relief is gone, and Elden Ring captured that feeling way better in recent times. At the same time, loot isn't really exciting either. I know the build-transforming sets of D3 had their issues, but at least you felt significantly different when you got 2 pieces. With just legendaries (and some uniques) all I have is hoping for a good Aspect to drop for me to extract. And even those aspects are mostly 25% damage this, some more AoE or barrier that. Even the gems feel way undertuned.

All I really want is Eastern Sun itemization with D4s graphics. I really don't know why game systems designers don't look at what the mod community has done over the past 20 years. MedianXL also had some great ideas. I get that PoEs RNG-based crafting is not for everyone, but D2 mods always felt in the sweet spot between determinism and RNG to me.

Playing with friends on an alt, having a beer and slaying demons is cool and good though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Xenthalon posted:

I think I'm done with the game for now and will wait until season starts. I'm level 70 and can do NM dungeons in the 21-25 range well enough, I can see where the grind goes, but don't really see the point. It's a well made game, but I kinda want to play it 1-2 years down the line when the edges are smoothed out and itemization is better.

It feels in a weird spot, the feeling of lonely dread and desolation you got in D2 because you were alone and every step out of town took you deeper into a horrid, demon infested world and reaching each new waypoint was such a relief is gone, and Elden Ring captured that feeling way better in recent times. At the same time, loot isn't really exciting either. I know the build-transforming sets of D3 had their issues, but at least you felt significantly different when you got 2 pieces. With just legendaries (and some uniques) all I have is hoping for a good Aspect to drop for me to extract. And even those aspects are mostly 25% damage this, some more AoE or barrier that. Even the gems feel way undertuned.

All I really want is Eastern Sun itemization with D4s graphics. I really don't know why game systems designers don't look at what the mod community has done over the past 20 years. MedianXL also had some great ideas. I get that PoEs RNG-based crafting is not for everyone, but D2 mods always felt in the sweet spot between determinism and RNG to me.

Playing with friends on an alt, having a beer and slaying demons is cool and good though.

Yeah after solidifying a build you have to comb through a ton of repeating stuff with no UI help, running around town like a jerk. After they fix that I'm gonna get on that late game grind.

Meanwhile I'll be exploring all the characters. Just leveling doing whatever on a story-skipped character trying out different skill combos is where it's at for me at the moment.

So far
  • Barb is surprisingly deep gameplay wise and a good party booster.
  • Druid is hilarious. Just a permanent bear causing natural disasters going off everywhere at all times making the screen unreadable for my friends.
  • Rogue (just started) seems to be going into superior firepower territory.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I love Diablo 3. Have roughly 500 hours worth of play (so a double PTO) and it was my first platinum trophy. Lots of great times had in it.
Also been dipping into Diablo 2 resurrected and seeing how it was before 3 and it is also pretty good fun. Playing with a controller is definitely way more fun for me. I tried Mouse and Keyboard but it felt like clicking and waiting, whereas with the controller it feels almost like I am in the action - much like one of the greatest aRPGs ever Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.

One of my friends said I should play IV as it is a bit of a mix of 2 and 3 but leaning more on the 2 side. I will finish Diablo 2 resurrected first though.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Is the idea of doing whispers in T1 to open in T3 just for absolute time efficiency? Or is it for that semi-precarious level 50~54 sort of range where you've just moved into T3 and really need to get some sacred gear pronto?

Because as a level 59 ice shard sorc with absolutely not dialed in gear (I have like 17% crit chance and only 25% cdr) I'm wondering if doing whispers on T1 would really be that much faster or not as I'm not really having an issue in WT3 as it is.

I can see how it'd be useful to do WT1-->Wt4 once I move there at level 63 or so (hopefully).

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Is the idea of doing whispers in T1 to open in T3 just for absolute time efficiency? Or is it for that semi-precarious level 50~54 sort of range where you've just moved into T3 and really need to get some sacred gear pronto?

Because as a level 59 ice shard sorc with absolutely not dialed in gear (I have like 17% crit chance and only 25% cdr) I'm wondering if doing whispers on T1 would really be that much faster or not as I'm not really having an issue in WT3 as it is.

I can see how it'd be useful to do WT1-->Wt4 once I move there at level 63 or so (hopefully).

I mean yeah it can help you get that item boost on a non optimized fresh lvl 50 character. But you have to beat a dungeon to open T3, so unless you really struggled, I wouldn't bother. To beat a T4 dungeon, you'll have to be strong enough to plow through T3 anyway.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I seriously doubt that Whispers in WT1 are going to be any faster for you at this point. Whispers also give you a decent chunk of experience and thats basically lost in WT1 since the scaling stops at 50.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is there anything that has one shot potential in this game thats, say, more dangerous than the world bosses big attacks or those blood boils that burst? other than the final boss who can apparently drop you into hell

i just got chased around by an elemental obelisk casting nova at me and i was wondering if that thing is painful, dangerous or basically guaranteed lethal

edit: 4th option: nothing in this game hurts so why would it

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 21, 2023

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Verviticus posted:

is there anything that has one shot potential in this game thats, say, more dangerous than the world bosses big attacks or those blood boils that burst? other than the final boss who can apparently drop you into hell

Well you are already in hell when she drops you

maybe you drop into turbo hell?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Verviticus posted:

i just got chased around by an elemental obelisk casting nova at me and i was wondering if that thing is painful, dangerous or basically guaranteed lethal

The obelisk thing is dangerous but not guaranteed lethal if you are at full health. The most dangerous enemy for me at level 90 and in a high level NM dungeon are wraiths/banshees. Their arrows do crazy damage and that one attack where they create a red line on the ground and then something happens is a guaranteed oneshot if I stand in it without being fully fortified.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

TjyvTompa posted:

The obelisk thing is dangerous but not guaranteed lethal if you are at full health. The most dangerous enemy for me at level 90 and in a high level NM dungeon are wraiths/banshees. Their arrows do crazy damage and that one attack where they create a red line on the ground and then something happens is a guaranteed oneshot if I stand in it without being fully fortified.

ah okay cool. i dont think ive been taken below 75% since i entered wt3 so im guessing nightmare level 3 obelisk isnt gonna ruin me. thanks!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

That red line of hellcum ain't no joke

Mufasa Nigel
Jul 8, 2005

I've got my rogue to 78 and yea, interest is definitely waining knowing S1 is around the corner. I'd genuinely like a stab at Uber Lilith but the grind to 100 right now, eh, I'll wait for the xp buffs for nm dungeons and S1 to start.

Games got a solid base to work from. Stoopz, some youtuber from my regretful lost ark days had a good suggestion; Uber end of act bosses every 5 levels working towards 100. More carrots are definitely needed after 70, pretty elegant solution to keep you on the treadmill. Plus as has been mentioned in the thread, they currently feel wasted for how fun some of the fights were. Even seeing Elias again, the capstone dungeon was either a brutal one shot nightmare, or you waited 5 levels and demolished him. Be nice to see the fight once your build is properly online.

I'd throw in having each boss have weighted uniques to have a goal to grind for a build defining/finishing touch stuff, but I dunno how that'll sit with the half of the playerbase that isn't d2 mind melted. That suicide bomber skelly unique seems core to a minion necro, having a set path to bring it online is a good thing.

Vulnerable needs to be chucked into the additive pile. BUT, bringing up those additives to vulnerables current strength. An ice based sorc should be hounding for chilled/frozen items, thematically makes sense and the casual crowd knows what to aim for naturally.
This does make the only premium stat being crit again but cmon, it's an ARPG. Of course it is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Verviticus posted:

There's a few guys who will use attacks that spawn waves of 3-8 projectiles and shoot them out in a wave. If you're standing on the spawn spot you take every hit instantly. Just Melee Things. It was a dungeon boss Carver Shaman.

Also had a big charging ram beast one shot me due to latency. Game hitched, I thought "eh I'm at full" and I died. Tested it afterwards and other charges took half my health. So the server can one shot you with stuff like that and DCs.

Ooh, and once I engaged about 12+ of those cannibal executioner guys who leap in to engage. Another amusing one shot, or ten shots in a second.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 21, 2023

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

TjyvTompa posted:

i try to avoid black asylum now entirely, gently caress those archers and skeleton crossbows and wraiths

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I guess I kind of knew this was a thing that could happen but I was just minding my own business doing a dungeon right next to the starting town with a brand new level 5 sorcerer character and the fuckin butcher jumped out of nowhere and owned the living poo poo out of me. Worth every minute of those 200 hours imo

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Mustached Demon posted:

I hit 50 this weekend, completed the story, got owned by the curator, then went to kill the bad demons for loot.

I foresee many more sessions of demon slaying.

More like 50 years old lmao

Seriously though I'm old

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

There are basically four ways to die outside of super telegraphed world boss slams
Shotgunning attacks like the carver shaman dungeon boss mentioned above
Zoning into a dungeon with a build with lots of conditional defenses (Fortify, armour aspect, Temerity) and getting hit before you can stack them
Getting chain CCd into oblivion (Goatmen, Carver fallen and Cannibals are especially good at this)
Super overturned mob types (mostly wraiths and the stealth bandits/wargs)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The wraiths are ridiculously nasty, but it is a very, very telegraphed attack. They only do the big arrow shot after one of the big wraiths charges them up. You can either kill the archer or the big wraith to prevent the nasty attack.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Running a map with reflect that you didn't notice because you were tired

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The plot feels like it was written by an AI, the voice acting is inconsistent, and the boss battles are insultingly easy... but it's still fun to mash through hoards and the music is solid.

Then again, for $70, you'd be better served with the campaigns of:

- Elden Ring
- Sekiro
- Zelda
- Vampire Survivors
- Path of Exile
- D2 Remastered

Final Fantasy 14 also stood out to me as an MMO with a campaign that was better than a lot of the single player games in the series.

If you've beaten every one of those campaigns then maybe?

if someone tells you the path of exile campaign is better than anything at all, you know theyre hosed inthe head

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

D4 has a very nice campaign and world aesthetic. The setting is entirely hopeless and the suffering the poor NPCs go through is just overwhelming. There's a distinct difference from the approach of D2 which was a desolate world filled with monsters as accurately stated previously. Dont get me wrong the world of D2 was awesome but it is 23 years old. It is 100% a gaming classic and everyone should play it.

Last week I was home sick and played D4 a bit too much, eventually the suffering and hopelessness of NPC dialogues overcame me. This is some new kind of "high fantasy horror" they made, I have never seen the likes of it in any game or movie or anything. Just completely over the top horror dialed up to 11.

But the best part about D4 campaign and world setting is the almost complete disregard for anything and everything related to the awfulness of D3. It certainly feels like the story continues from the destruction of the Worldstone. D3 story had nothing memorable to it so I forgot all about it, but still. I think the devs just decided to scrap it from the face of Sanctuary. I say good riddance!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Stux posted:

if someone tells you the path of exile campaign is better than anything at all, you know theyre hosed inthe head

This is something that literally everyone can, and should, agree on

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

unattended spaghetti posted:

I will not get all the statues and I will laugh at the pained screams of skill and paragon points, dead before they could truly live.

Maybe I'll have them all by s3 or something lol

Honestly, getting the statues doesn’t take long at all. I think I took about 20 minutes per zone. You just follow a map online. Turn on a podcast and you can probably finish most of them before it’s finished.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I honestly disagree on that. Yeah, the world is hopeless and everything is bleak, but I can't take it much more seriously than I could take D3 when I'm slaughtering demons by the literal hundred thousands without breaking a sweat. Its not like Dark Souls, where everything is bleak and hopeless and it also plays that way.
I do like running through Scosglen and Hawezar though, cool zones all in all.

There are some really cool sidequests as well (the whole possession thing in Kyovashad and the Andariel and Lyndon questlines in Hawezar to name a few)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Verisimilidude posted:

Honestly, getting the statues doesn’t take long at all. I think I took about 20 minutes per zone. You just follow a map online. Turn on a podcast and you can probably finish most of them before it’s finished.

For statues and also the greater overall renown grind I also recommend breaking it up into chunks. I did like one region a day just getting statues, doing side quests and the occasional dungeon (focusing on dungeons that were whisper targets). I'd do things like helltides and nightmare dungeons and more whisper stuff to break up the grind. I didn't finish the renown grind until well into WT4.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Zero VGS posted:

The plot feels like it was written by an AI, the voice acting is inconsistent, and the boss battles are insultingly easy... but it's still fun to mash through hoards and the music is solid.

- Elden Ring
- Sekiro
- Zelda
- Vampire Survivors
- Path of Exile
- D2 Remastered

Final Fantasy 14 also stood out to me as an MMO with a campaign that was better than a lot of the single player games in the series.

everyone says FF14's campaign is so good but all I remember is 37 hours of an anime girl saying "touch....feel......love" as I watched a crystal spin around

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FF16 is out tomorrow if you want a real video game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That xp curve really jumps after 70 lol. I think the level up requirement went from 3.5 million at 69 straight to 7 million

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

To be fair, most games can be considered good if played casually enough. The more time you spend with a game, the more you begin to understand the limitations and problems the game has. When you have limited time to play a game, it stays new for longer. The honeymoon period lasts longer in that sense.

I think it’s silly seeing those Reddit posts like “I’m a dad and I think this game is amazing! Haters can eat a hat!!” It reeks of self-importance, and it’s invalidating a lot of honest criticism of the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

That xp curve really jumps after 70 lol. I think the level up requirement went from 3.5 million at 69 straight to 7 million

Not sure where I read it but I think level 85 is the halfway point to level 100.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Ehud posted:

everyone says FF14's campaign is so good but all I remember is 37 hours of an anime girl saying "touch....feel......love" as I watched a crystal spin around

FF14s story is good for a MMO but the first dozens of hours stink out loud and the leveling is visual novels level of gameplay.

Well stinks is a bit harsh but it's an obscenely slow burn and build up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

- Elden Ring
- Sekiro
- Zelda
- Vampire Survivors
- Path of Exile
- D2 Remastered

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634950

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

CharlestonJew posted:

Yeah I'm 71 now and feeling it. Hopefully the NM dungeon XP buff helps. And then we still have the rumored WT5 difficulty.

I'm leveling up my glyphs and trying to find a few items to switch my build, but I don't think I'll push to 100 before season 1.

I'm leaning towards starting my hardcore character next and unlocking all the altars and map stuff so I can play hardcore season 1 like a stupid idiot.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Checking up on streamers once a while that no life the poo poo out of the game and only gain like 3 levels after 12hours of playtime after lvl 80 is real bad

but then I remember there is no new content after like lvl 70 and I'm less offended by it

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
When I first started Whispers of the dead it popped up some help text I accidentally closed. Anything to know besides run the highlighted red stars on the map?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ehud posted:

They are obviously trolling. Or an idiot.

DARPA posted:

When I first started Whispers of the dead it popped up some help text I accidentally closed. Anything to know besides run the highlighted red stars on the map?

That's pretty much it. It's nice to piggyback on other activities and accomplish multiple goals if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Is there actually a campaign in vampire survivors now or is that poster just extremely upset about the story in their Blizzard ARPG