Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

armorer posted:

I know they got a lot of input about racism from Gloomhaven that they took to heart and completely redesigned the lore and story going into Frosthaven. I was under the impression that a good deal of the reworking done to Gloomhaven was to similarly address those concerns in Gloomhaven. There are definitely some other balance changes that have been made to classes from what I've read, but I'd be surprised if the overall game is so inherently changed that you would have a different experience with 2nd edition than you would with first.

I dunno, I'll wait for a review from someone who has played through both I guess, but it seems to me like if you're sitting on 1st edition you should just play that. I say this as someone who played 15 or 16 scenarios in 1st edition before the pandemic shut down that group, and has since re-started with a new group and is ~12 or so sessions into that playthrough. The game is good and playable and doesn't need a second edition to fix any balance issues or anything.

Agreed - first edition is great as-is. If you're an obsessed fan like me then you might want to pick up 2E for a playthrough after you eventually get your group to finish Forgotten Circles, Jaws of the Lion, Crimson Scales, and Frosthaven, not to mention the 37 other big-box miniature heavy campaign games you've purchased, but for the average human it's something you can totally skip if you already own a copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My partner and I played the whole campaign of my first printing copy, it's a perfectly good and playable and well executed game.

I mean if you're only going to play it through once (understandable) and have the option of doing that with first or second printing... I guess second, but 0% because there's anything "wrong" with the first.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

There's a $75 upgrade pack that brings the classes of 2nd ed to 1st ed. I don't think that can possibly be worth it.

We played the first KS printing for a full year with zero issues.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm a playtester for GH2e, as are a decent number of other goons. It has had a wealth of goon input.

GH2e is basically totally redone.

The campaign structure, monster balance, characters, events, scenarios, etc. It has all the themes and notable characters - but like remixed a bunch.

If you loved GH1 and don't want to revisit stuff because you got your fill, that's totally understandable, GH1 is a great game.

But I think 2e qualifies as basically an entirely new campaign and worth playing if you are wanting more Gloomhaven (and definitely if you haven't played it at all yet). It will feel a lot more like a new experience than replaying the old game. It's a lot more in line with Frosthaven for, like, writing and narrative quality - but overall much simpler in character and scenario design than FH.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

gschmidl posted:

There's a $75 upgrade pack that brings the classes of 2nd ed to 1st ed. I don't think that can possibly be worth it.

At that point, I'd just buy the full thing.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Vidmaster posted:

If you're an obsessed fan like me then you might want to pick up 2E for a playthrough after you eventually get your group to finish Forgotten Circles, Jaws of the Lion, Crimson Scales, and Frosthaven, not to mention the 37 other big-box miniature heavy campaign games you've purchased,

How dare you. I'll have you know that several of my campaign games have few or no miniatures!

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

sportsgenius86 posted:

At that point, I'd just buy the full thing.

My understanding is they didn't want to offer any upgrades at all, because of the cost involved. But they had so many people demand one they said "fine, I guess, it's your money."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

senrath posted:

My understanding is they didn't want to offer any upgrades at all, because of the cost involved. But they had so many people demand one they said "fine, I guess, it's your money."
Yeah - it's $4.17 or something per class for the upgrade pack. I don't think that's particularly ridiculous. I agree you're better off just getting the 2e whole box, given the overhaul it's gotten, but if that's what you want, it's what you want.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

if you get Gloomhaven 2nd edition does it come with the upgraded character minis?

and whats the quality of the Frosthaven character minis like? I don't see an upgrade for them so I'm assuming they on or near this level

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CODChimera posted:

if you get Gloomhaven 2nd edition does it come with the upgraded character minis?

and whats the quality of the Frosthaven character minis like? I don't see an upgrade for them so I'm assuming they on or near this level
Yeah - the upgraded character minis are in the game box. You can buy extra sets if you want; that's the add-on.

FH character minis look good to me. But I am not a huge minis guy so I'm no expert :)

Joeno
Sep 8, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

senrath posted:

Considering the RPG cards are $50 for what appears to be a comparable amount of contents, it really does feel like it's there to keep the existing playerbase happy.

Having a $80 required buy in for the RPG feels steep as well. I was quite excited about the idea of it, but the claims of the second edition being compatible with the RPG led me to assume the new characters would be interchangable (perhaps with some printed notes). With the compatibility just turning out to be reusing standees, tiles and other bits of cardboard that I can already use my existing games for.

Maybe it's because there are three campaigns running at once, which really shows how expensive it all gets - if it was just the RPGs or just the second edition upgrade, it would just be each purchase at a time, but having to pledge it all in one go at a premium price point makes none of it seem worth it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Joeno posted:

Considering the RPG cards are $50 for what appears to be a comparable amount of contents, it really does feel like it's there to keep the existing playerbase happy.
Speaking of...I haven't followed the RPG news too much, but as I understand it, you play the classes using cards ala GH. Can you use GH 1.0 cards if you have them (even if I guess the RPG ones use the updated ones), or are the cards a must have to play? I back a shitton of RPG stuff, but it's usually at the digital tier. Not sure if I would have to go for the physical tier for this one not to miss on the default gameplay, though.

Joeno
Sep 8, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Based on the campaign, there are RPG-specific cards - neither GH 1.0 or second edition cards work, you need the separate $50 set (or the deluxe $90 set) to play. I don't think a digital edition is available.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Joeno posted:

Based on the campaign, there are RPG-specific cards - neither GH 1.0 or second edition cards work, you need the separate $50 set (or the deluxe $90 set) to play. I don't think a digital edition is available.
Can you even play the game without the cards? I mean, is the content of the cards in the digital release so that you can proxy them? I would expect so, given Isaac's generosity with digital files in general, but you never know :v:

Joeno
Sep 8, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

That Italian Guy posted:

Can you even play the game without the cards? I mean, is the content of the cards in the digital release so that you can proxy them? I would expect so, given Isaac's generosity with digital files in general, but you never know :v:

I'm just going by the FAQ to be honest:

quote:

What is required to play Gloomhaven: The RPG?

You will require:

x1 Core Rulebook & x1 Complete RPG Card Set

OR

x1 RPG Deluxe Box Set

I haven't seen anything about digital releases, it's all focused on the physical releases right now (without even a PDF rulebook option)

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

gschmidl posted:

$75 vs $180 might be worth it; $75 vs $130 really isn't.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

Speaking of...I haven't followed the RPG news too much, but as I understand it, you play the classes using cards ala GH. Can you use GH 1.0 cards if you have them (even if I guess the RPG ones use the updated ones), or are the cards a must have to play? I back a shitton of RPG stuff, but it's usually at the digital tier. Not sure if I would have to go for the physical tier for this one not to miss on the default gameplay, though.
The RPG ended up needing its own cards for play. This is definitely "Gloomhaven as an RPG," and has card-based mechanics like Gloomhaven.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also the update pack has 2 classes more than the RPG (no Aesthers in the RPG), I think that's why the pricing isn't quite the same. Not sure how many cards per ancestry deck though, given the rpg pack has 8 of those

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azran posted:

Also the update pack has 2 classes more than the RPG (no Aesthers in the RPG), I think that's why the pricing isn't quite the same. Not sure how many cards per ancestry deck though, given the rpg pack has 8 of those
Without going too deeply into anything in the kickstarter thread - there's other threads for this - having one character who can plane shift at will and be perpetually invisible creates some uh challenges for smooth RPG play. At best, you get a variant of the Decker problem.

You can still be a character who's a sentient swarm of bugs, though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Man that sure is a lot of Gloom/Frosthaven, huh.

Currently really enjoying our time with Frosthaven, but it is entirely Too Much Box for me to even consider picking up 2nd Ed of Gloomhaven (even tho I've never played it)
At the rate my group is going, one session a month, it's going to be a lonnnnng rear end time before we're through it.
Hype that it exists for people to pick up tho

Wishing the Frosthaven minis were offered as part of the original campaign, because it's weird that they're coming out a year and a half from now.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Infinitum posted:

Man that sure is a lot of Gloom/Frosthaven, huh.

Currently really enjoying our time with Frosthaven, but it is entirely Too Much Box for me to even consider picking up 2nd Ed of Gloomhaven (even tho I've never played it)
At the rate my group is going, one session a month, it's going to be a lonnnnng rear end time before we're through it.
Hype that it exists for people to pick up tho

Wishing the Frosthaven minis were offered as part of the original campaign, because it's weird that they're coming out a year and a half from now.

This is why I bought jaws of the lion. It's waaay smaller/tighter and is still a huge experience

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://gamefound.com/projects/fight-in-a-box/conquest-princess-fashion-is-power

Just over a day left in my friend's campaign. Thought I'd throw this out there one more time amongst the Gloom/Frosthaven talk.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I don't know if Humble Bundles count as crowdfunding but a bunch of my books and the books of a friend are all in this bundle that supports global literacy, so hey if you wanted a bunch of good DM advice stuff or my contributions (cookbook, cocktail guide, joke book, all RPG themed) then here they are all at once for a good price.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/ultimate-rpg-guides-adams-media-books?view=kh0ffLmNZACV

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Launches Tuesday, by Handiwork Games with a lil collab with me (Bad Squiddo Games)

Do you want professional backdrops that you can use on a tabletop with no special gear to make your painted minis look extra great? Hecks yes you do.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-maps-backgrounds-book

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it only fantasy themed or are there scifi ones

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's heavily based on the terrain around Jon in Scotland. There's no specific sci fi ones, though many do work nicely. There is potential for sci fi backdrops to be made though if the KS goes well.

Here are some I used!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

TheDiceBagLady posted:

Launches Tuesday, by Handiwork Games with a lil collab with me (Bad Squiddo Games)

Do you want professional backdrops that you can use on a tabletop with no special gear to make your painted minis look extra great? Hecks yes you do.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-maps-backgrounds-book

Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Any issues using this stuff commercially for product photos etc?

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

w00tmonger posted:

Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Any issues using this stuff commercially for product photos etc?

YAY!

There will be more information on the KS page, but you will be able to back it for commerical use, I think it's an extra £15 off the top of my head (base book £18) which is pretty ace!

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Second book unlocked!

first peek (still a WIP but gives and idea)

Jon is in a painting frenzy to get some examples out of this lot.

http://kck.st/46sAuKq

1st Book is up to 32 pages of landscapes too

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A whole book of sci-fi ones just unlocked. I need to get the PDF and make Zoom backgrounds out of them.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Kind of reminds me of a project I saw that used 3D printed (and painted, IIRC) lithophanes as backgrounds in little miniature 3D printed "photobooths" with LED lighting to make cool pics.

e: found link

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I'll tell you what - I was super hopeful about Backerkit but it's honestly got a lot of work to do before it's a serious contender.

The biggest issue for me is that it's inexplicably hard to find the newest updates - you have to go to a community tab (which anyone can post new threads on - more on this in a bit) and then go through a filter and a sort to lift the newest updates to the top. Otherwise the top results will be random people asking questions or starting arguments. Imagine if the Kickstarter updates and comments were merged into one tab and that's basically what it is, but somehow worse.

It seems like their priority is to be more social media than crowdfunding. Otherwise I simply can't explain the "Check out these top threads!" digests which contain links to old updates and - potentially - troll posts that happened to get some engagement.

It's rough, goons. Still got a ways to go.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

A whole book of sci-fi ones just unlocked. I need to get the PDF and make Zoom backgrounds out of them.

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I'll have to think about it once it's July, I need to curb my spending

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So I'll tell you what - I was super hopeful about Backerkit but it's honestly got a lot of work to do before it's a serious contender.

The biggest issue for me is that it's inexplicably hard to find the newest updates - you have to go to a community tab (which anyone can post new threads on - more on this in a bit) and then go through a filter and a sort to lift the newest updates to the top. Otherwise the top results will be random people asking questions or starting arguments. Imagine if the Kickstarter updates and comments were merged into one tab and that's basically what it is, but somehow worse.

It seems like their priority is to be more social media than crowdfunding. Otherwise I simply can't explain the "Check out these top threads!" digests which contain links to old updates and - potentially - troll posts that happened to get some engagement.

It's rough, goons. Still got a ways to go.
I usually check this https://www.backerkit.com/projects/trending/games?page=1 once a week or so, I miss some indie stuff but I almost always manage to notice the big stuff, including KS projects that are going to be fullfilled on Backerkit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
GH would be sitting at at least double that amount on KS. I hope they got a nice paycheck from backerkit to go exclusive with them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah some of this is me disliking change but I find Gamefound and especially Backerkit worse to use for ongoing campaigns from a backer perspective.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's interesting. Gamefound is by far the best for me. Backerkit sucks poo poo tho

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I wish Gamefound would let me read the whole update in the push emails but that's my only real complaint with it, and I still think it's better than KS. Backerkit is not.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Have we discussed the absolute greedy clusterfuck of Cthulhu Wars shipping? Check the latest update if not.

People’s games are sitting on pallets at Gamerati, who will only ship out a full pallet at a time, but people can pay extra money to try and get their pallet moved closer to getting out the door. Otherwise they’re going to have to wait up to another year for something they’ve already paid for (including shipping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The_Doctor posted:

Have we discussed the absolute greedy clusterfuck of Cthulhu Wars shipping? Check the latest update if not.

People’s games are sitting on pallets at Gamerati, who will only ship out a full pallet at a time, but people can pay extra money to try and get their pallet moved closer to getting out the door. Otherwise they’re going to have to wait up to another year for something they’ve already paid for (including shipping).

Holy poo poo I've seen more honest bitcoin rugpulls. Cost to ship a game is allegedly $55, so buy in $10 increments and hope someone else's on your palette, idiot.