Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

fullerene posted:

The body count was lower in number but far higher in worth in that one :(

Yeah, for real, for anyone who doesn't know, read all of the OP's posts in that thread and then check out the follow-up here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirJohanna
Nov 23, 2007

The more I hear about this submarine, the more of an Alfie Atkins helicopter of a vehicle it appears to be.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Are we one hundred percent sure the sea, deep far down there, doesn't just always making ominous knocking sounds on the every half hour?

Anyway I'm sure they all just stop to have a picnic or something and lost track of time. Happens to the best of us.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
Don’t know if anyone has said this yet but I wish the Diving Crooner all the best

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

Pakistani billionaire’s 19 year old son is on board. loving 19, basically still a kid.

The amount of joy some folks are taking in peoples (potentially live) suffering in this thread is a bit scary, including how I’ve been joining in and doing it as well.

Grown-rear end adults winning Darwin awards can be quite funny, but I feel sad for that kid, and if people are actively suffering painfully, I feel sad for them too.

He probably vaped a fat cloud and clogged the sensitive asus monitor and home depot led strip lighting

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Silver Vision posted:

Don’t know if anyone has said this yet but I wish the Diving Crooner all the best

*sees orcas out the porthole*

gently caress gently caress THEYRE TRYIN TO MAKE IT LOOK FAKE

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Banging eh? The orgy has begun.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'll bring up the USS Thresher case again, where some search and rescue ships repeated hearing regular banging and even garbled radio transmissions from the wreck of the Thresher for quite some time afterwards, and were convinced the ship was still intact with people waiting for rescue and trying to communicate.

Since then experiments and investigations have confirmed that the sub imploded in the blink of an eye, and the search and rescue boats were just confusing some other random sounds as signs of life from the Thresher.

e:

Ships make regular noises. There's plenty of ships in the area. I'm not saying it's impossible for the sub to still be intact, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Neither would I, I think ultimately we are in heated agreement. I had read somewhere that the little thumper device was a seperate system that could survive the pressure.

I still think best case scenario is that the thumper leads them to a wide debris patch littered with carbon fibre and maybe a titanium dome is found

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
if they did somehow make it down and just asphyxiated, that means the next research crew down there can probably get to see their skeletons through the porthole and that's pretty metal when you think about it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Jestery posted:

From what I understand the banging is a "failsafe" that automatically goes off and makes the kind of noise that can be zeroed in on so the sub can be rescued

This should not be taken as evidence that

A. The sub is in one piece
B. The passengers are alive
C. The thumper is even attached to the sub

It is just a timer and a maracca, that's it

Also, y'all need to think about what pressure is and how it works,

yo teach

this poo poo is hard man

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

it would be so cool to look down in the ocean, and beable to see as if the water was crystal clear/not even there. Id like to see some simulation like that like how big would the titanic look from the surface

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

yo teach

this poo poo is hard man

You want me to get gradual release of responsibility on yo rear end?

Or would you prefer a play based pedegogy?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Renreeja posted:

it would be so cool to look down in the ocean, and beable to see as if the water was crystal clear/not even there. Id like to see some simulation like that like how big would the titanic look from the surface

Look if you want to perv on fish having sex you can just say.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I'll bring up the USS Thresher case again, where some search and rescue ships repeated hearing regular banging and even garbled radio transmissions from the wreck of the Thresher for quite some time afterwards, and were convinced the ship was still intact with people waiting for rescue and trying to communicate.

Since then experiments and investigations have confirmed that the sub imploded in the blink of an eye, and the search and rescue boats were just confusing some other random sounds as signs of life from the Thresher.

e:

Ships make regular noises. There's plenty of ships in the area. I'm not saying it's impossible for the sub to still be intact, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

The Thresher was a cover up, some new info came out last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5FGTxIU4Q

here is my death theory, the zoomer onboard went mental shortly after the sub lost its wifi approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes into the vessel's dive.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

les enfants Terrific! posted:

Has anyone brought up that one of the only subs that's ever been this deep down (and deeper still) is owned by Gabe Newell? Because that feels insane to me, too.

DSV Limiting Factor!

At least in that instance, it's less a rich man's toy and more the rich dude owning the research outfit that operates the sub and does proper science with the thing. GabeN himself isn't cavorting around the sea floor menacing crabs with one of his big-rear end knives.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 21, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just remembered the kid who was dared off his graduation party boat. Is this the year of ocean water terror?

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Look if you want to perv on fish having sex you can just say.

The Spawning is a beautiful thing, clouds of jizz, the finest clouds of jizz some say

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It can't be a coincidence that this janky-rear end sub has a name almost identical to a genuinely high-quality sub? I mean Titan vs Triton?

It's like a wish-com knockoff, or one of those websites that are one letter off the real thing. Brb, gonna order me a sub from amazom.com

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Skippy McPants posted:

DSV Limiting Factor!

At least in that instance, it's less a rich man's toy and more the rich dude owning the research outfit that operates the sub and does proper science with the thing. GabeN himself isn't cavorting around the sea floor menacing crabs with one of his big-rear end knives.

Gaben just smashing crabs with a cold steel kukri

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

e:

Buddy, almost nobody has their hopes up.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcCkOJbL6-w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNR2EpS0jw

Got these songs going round and round and round on a loop in my head

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Deep Energy, one of the rescue ships, is described as a “pipe laying vessel”.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang, comparing Limiting Factor's pressure hull to the Titan's paints a pretty stark contrast.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Axel Serenity posted:

if they did somehow make it down and just asphyxiated, that means the next research crew down there can probably get to see their skeletons through the porthole and that's pretty metal when you think about it

What is gonna happen to corpses in an oxygen less environment that is presumably free ish from the things that help to decompose bodies?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ThinkTank posted:

They are trying to crack the bones of the first victim to get to that delicious marrow

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What is gonna happen to corpses in an oxygen less environment that is presumably free ish from the things that help to decompose bodies?

I'm hoping for a Weekend At Bernie's II scenario

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Every new picture I see of that thing makes me feel nauseous - nothing fits together properly, the surfaces look rough and unfinished, why the hell is there all that tangled wiring under the flooring?
I couldn't do a deep-sea dive in even the best submersible, I'm far too claustrophobic, but I start feeling panicking just looking at that thing :gonk:

edit: why are there no harnesses or even handles in it??? That thing even get to make an emergency surface, all the crew are going to get thrown around like the balls in bingo machine.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 21, 2023

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

reptilians posted:

My theory is that submarines are an object that has a platonic ideal (ie they’re arguably the opposite of airplanes, and there are submarine lego sets on the market, so it’s different from something like a unicycle, which has no lego set , purpose, or opposing vehicle) and this particular submarine sunk because it strayed too far from that form (no periscope tower thing or giant singular propeller on the back for instance)

The opposite of a submarine is a zeppelin

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/audioguy182/status/1671335064519712768

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1671353502780768256

fullerene
Apr 29, 2022

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It will eventually break apart on the bottom of the ocean, either the metal parts eaten by the same bacteria that are destroying the Titanic wreck or just smashed to bits by currents, and then the crabs move in and the great circle of life continues.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Ratjaculation posted:

Bluetooth controller died

Controller died in the middle of a boss fight deep sea exploration, we’ve all been there

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Pookah posted:

Every new picture I see of that thing makes me feel nauseous - nothing fits together properly, the surfaces look rough and unfinished, why the hell is there all that tangled wiring under the flooring?
I couldn't do a deep-sea dive in even the best submersible, I'm far too claustrophobic, but I start feeling panicking just looking at that thing :gonk:

edit: why are there no harnesses or even handles in it??? That thing even get to make an emergency surface, all the crew are going to get thrown around like the balls in bingo machine.

To be fair, I think those are handles on the ceiling.

Must be unpleasant to hit those and the monitor mount as the sub tumbles away in a current.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tragic the sub couldn't fit more.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Zesty posted:

To be fair, I think those are handles on the ceiling.

Must be unpleasant to hit those and the monitor mount as the sub tumbles away in a current.
You're right, from the pictures I saw, they just looked like strip lights, but they do seem to double as handles.

I still wouldn't want to have to hang on to them while rolling uncontrollably in an ocean swell.

edit: I was just googling to see if those handles were proprietary or just bought off the shelf, and came across this from a recent NPR interview with that Pogue guy

quote:

On the problems he ran into during his trip
My trip was not smooth. We made it 37 feet down and then they ran into a mechanical problem and we had to abort the dive. I was devastated, and crushed, and did not see it coming.

Man has quite the way with words.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pookah posted:

Again, by way of contrast, the interior of Limiting Factor, complete with... chairs!

I assume they went with a cylinder over a sphere so they could fit more people in, stuffs like seats and straps might limit them to only three passengers rather than four. That's 250k fewer buckaroos per trip!

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Listen, if they need more oxygen they can hit the pavement and start handing out resumes

I’m not giving up MY oxygen

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pookah posted:

You're right, from the pictures I saw, they just looked like strip lights, but they do seem to double as handles.

They're handles with built in LED strips designed for RVs.

He says in this interview that he bought them at Camper World:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Omnikin posted:

Controller died in the middle of a boss fight deep sea exploration, we’ve all been there

They encountered emerald weapon

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
https://twitter.com/Meat__Hook/status/1671424090702331906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

I might've found a problem