Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

On the opposite side of the spectrum,

https://twitter.com/wdsu/status/1671021823742410754

That’s something like twenty‐five seconds to think about what you’ve done.

At least he had a cool view on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

What do you want to bet it was something for social media

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Platystemon posted:

The photo is bugging me because I'm sure that's in the park (and thus nowhere near the Skywalk) but I'm not sure where.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The photo is bugging me because I'm sure that's in the park (and thus nowhere near the Skywalk) but I'm not sure where.

Nah.

It’s Eagle Point at the Skywalk.

C.f. this panorama.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/radiogagaFL/status/1671294222475902977?s=20

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
ProPublica story is out and it's basically as expected:

https://twitter.com/eisingerj/status/1671366832463249409?t=f8rbOZGv84Q3BTqxvvvTBA&s=19

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1671391053952237569?t=0PZ2HbTpkAnq887esF_o9w&s=19

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Man that SCOTUS sure is having a lot of problems with its public image and legitimacy.

Good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Shame none of theses Justices got a free submarine ride from their rich bribers doners.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Shame none of theses Justices got a free submarine ride from their rich bribers doners.

Doner kebab is delicious, rich-rear end political donors are scum

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Okay, at some point, I just cannot believe any more details coming out of this story.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
should've named it the Ozymandias

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay, at some point, I just cannot believe any more details coming out of this story.

Same it’s just ridiculous

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol I was in a fantasy football group for one season with like a $20 buy in and one participant worked for a university and was subject to NCAA rules against sports gambling so from the start it was made clear she wasn’t paying to join & if she won the prize would go to 2nd place (was fine having one less buy in as was more important to have enough people for league.) more integrity for a trivial amount of money where discovery chances were remote than multiple SC judges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol I was in a fantasy football group for one season with like a $20 buy in and one participant worked for a university and was subject to NCAA rules against sports gambling so from the start it was made clear she wasn’t paying to join & if she won the prize would go to 2nd place (was fine having one less buy in as was more important to have enough people for league.) more integrity for a trivial amount of money where discovery chances were remote than multiple SC judges.

That's cause she isn't appointed for life with no way of removing her from the job.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Oh so she wasn't tenured

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

SerthVarnee posted:

Helicopters are also bad at a depth of 4000 meters yes.

Speaking of deep sea helicopters, one was recovered a few years ago

https://www.pacom.mil/Media/News/News-Article-View/Article/2549216/us-navy-recovers-mh-60s-helicopter-from-record-depth/

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

wonder if they can refurbish it and make it flight worthy. also if this happens, how shook are aircrews and passengers gonna be when they find out its history?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I got my tweets mixed up, and for a second, I thought Alito was on the sub from a donor gift

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Leave posted:

I got my tweets mixed up, and for a second, I thought Alito was on the sub from a donor gift

If only...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have trouble with this one.

How can they know the status of the audio guide without a current data link to the sub (which it sounds like they didn't have in the first place)?

e: was there even an audio guide? I thought it was just the CEO's Spotify playlist

When I checked this person had not cited the source so perhaps I am missing some context.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Discussion Quorum posted:

I have trouble with this one.

How can they know the status of the audio guide without a current data link to the sub (which it sounds like they didn't have in the first place)?

e: was there even an audio guide? I thought it was just the CEO's Spotify playlist

When I checked this person had not cited the source so perhaps I am missing some context.

I just can't believe they didn't include some form of emergency rations in the form of water or food in case I don't know, something like this might happen.

"In the event of an emergency, your survival kit consists of Celine Dion, a PlayStation controller, a toilet, and a porthole. You will not be provided with granola bars or those little airline bottles of water."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Honestly hope they got imploded for their sake at this point

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Dying quickly due to an implosion is far preferable to dying slowing as your oxygen depletes while Celine Dion plays on repeat.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1671380132425261057?t=tQSCZFar0tzc5HvFKYfkVQ&s=19

Speaking of violins playing as the ship slowly sinks.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's one hell of an allegation, but I can believe it.

https://twitter.com/Amesegura/status/1670094135842275328

Fortress EU is an abomination of an immigration and border policy.

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009
My favorite part about this submarine story is the knowledge that Trump is screaming about how no one is paying attention to him.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
On the controller part:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/06/missing-titanic-sub-isnt-the-first-to-use-game-controls-for-heavy-machinery/

I feel like the image Ars chose has some similar vibes to this

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And both controllers in both pictures are wired. Hmmm. Curious indeed.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

golden bubble posted:

Fortress EU is an abomination of an immigration and border policy.

Current event, one ancient trick, racist countries with land borders hate it: it's hard to find people underneath the ocean

It's monstrous.
But there for the grace of god go you and I

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That particular statement (from the tweet you quoted) likely is fake, or at least I sure haven't seen it attributed to any real source beyond "the tweet"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Videogame controllers are used yeah, but as someone else pointed out, they are usually wired, and not used to control vehicles/equipment with personal inside.

Like the two biggest examples I can think of are periscopes on subs and some drones.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Even then they're not lovely 3rd party cheap ones you buy so your friends can play and lose at your bachelor pad / parents basement.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
In a continuation of 'Cops have no obligation to protect you' now they have 'no obligation to answer 911 calls'

https://krdo.com/news/2023/06/13/13-investigates-police-have-no-legal-obligation-to-respond-to-911-calls-after-cos-hostage-situation/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1671179846876119040?t=I0ql7U2tkzpK3wDmdo6yNA&s=19

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Oh, oh no....

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Flikken posted:

Oh, oh no....
GOP gunna do all it can to make sure it can remain in control as a minority.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
:lol: Of course it's Delaware.

I can't click through as it's blocked at work. How much of the headline is clickbait nonsense re-framing? Is it seriously "Corporations are people my friend, and now they can vote"?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zamujasa posted:

You know, depending on just how strong that deep-sea implosion is, it may actually be easier for the rich man to fit through the eye of a needle.

:ck5:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

:lol: Of course it's Delaware.

I can't click through as it's blocked at work. How much of the headline is clickbait nonsense re-framing? Is it seriously "Corporations are people my friend, and now they can vote"?

Here's an alternative: https://www.promarket.org/2022/05/23/delaware-the-state-where-companies-can-vote/

It's restricted to municipal elections - I think this is a warped version of how some big cities/localities let illegal immigrants / undocumented / etc vote in local elections, though they can't vote for statewide/federal offices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Strange updates in the Oceangate submarine debacle coming out of a CINCLANT briefing this morning. Apparently due to the high level nature of one of the passengers on board, a SEAL team has been dispatched to assist US Search and Rescue with the efforts. The closest nearby vessel with capability to search that depth of ~4,000m was a privately owned experimental underwater drilling platform, which the SEALS had, as of yesterday, been ferried to. Their update today was that during the initial search of the Titanic resting site using underwater single-person subs and underwater drones they experienced what they could only describe as, “an abrupt loss of all power and electrical function.” They reported what appeared to be several unexpected, fast moving, small “craft or unidentified objects” within the Titanic hull. Unclear if these are possibly Russian drones, or something else entirely. Following one of these drones led to the team nearly losing the entire drilling platform off the edge of a nearby deepwater trench. They were confident the missing sub might lie at the bottom. However, sonar and electro-optical imagery of this has uncovered what they can only describe as a “brightly lit massive underwater structure.” This object lies at a depth far beyond their submersible capabilities and they now report plans to utilize a liquid based oxygen-carrying rebreather system(?) to send one man down the trench to search further and possibly make contact with the missing crew. Efforts continue and CINCLANT is confident they should have more updates tomorrow…