Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're handles with built in LED strips designed for RVs.

He says in this interview that he bought them at Camper World:

I was just trying to find this exact thing, thanks - so they are definitely not designed to be used as a single stabilizing point for up to three people to hang out of in rough ocean conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pookah posted:

I was just trying to find this exact thing, thanks - so they are definitely not designed to be used as a single stabilizing point for up to three people to hang out of in rough ocean conditions.

There. Whole loving tomb-sub in a nutshell.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

You can't have too much stuff in the way of people rolling around, as rolling around in the sub to get it to swing is the sole way of controlling the release of ballast

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

"I am going to die in here"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

steinrokkan posted:

You can't have too much stuff in the way of people rolling around, as rolling around in the sub to get it to swing is the sole way of controlling the release of ballast

:doh: I forgot about the ES-MRM (emergency scrap-metal release maneuver)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just under the surface
No gps
Spinning in a tumbling formation
With the awkward hand holds and laptop mount in the way
Whoa

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Skippy McPants posted:

Dang, comparing Limiting Factor's pressure hull to the Titan's paints a pretty stark contrast.

Heck with that, compare their dive weight release mechanisms:

a bunch of expensive precision gizmos, probably 2x redundant

not pictured: all the people in the sub leaning against one side, rocking back and forth to work that rusty hook off the rusty eyelet

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I can't get over that bit. A part of my brain still can't quite credit it.

Like people had this explained to them and were still "Sounds fine, Titanic here we come!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're handles with built in LED strips designed for RVs.

He says in this interview that he bought them at Camper World:
should have shelled out for a IKEA GRIMSÅS

much more tasteful and cheaper too

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

:pusheen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-lmSoS39_c

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
is there a spare for the wireless controller? what is it connected to?

it's just a PC isn't it? maybe a raspberry? Is it critical equipment? is it hardened against crashing and random windows bullshit ? can the sub thrusters function without it? is there a hot swappable spare with the exact same configuration?

What is the function of that computer? Does it interpret controller signals and coordinate the thrusters accordingly? Can it operate without the controller, for example with keyboard or touch screen input? What is the connection to the thrusters from the computer?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's designed to stand up to a 16yo throwing it. :colbert:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Is there a website up yet that has a countdown timer for when they run out of oxygen?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Black Sunshine posted:

Is there a website up yet that has a countdown timer for when they run out of oxygen?

I think some goon made this yesterday.

https://countingdownto.com/?c=4831670

21 hours and 23 minutes left!

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

frumpykvetchbot posted:

it's just a PC isn't it? maybe a raspberry? Is it critical equipment? is it hardened against crashing and random windows bullshit ? can the sub thrusters function without it? is there a hot swappable spare with the exact same configuration?

What is the function of that computer? Does it interpret controller signals and coordinate the thrusters accordingly? Can it operate without the controller, for example with keyboard or touch screen input? What is the connection to the thrusters from the computer?

It seems to me that their "philosophy" was to consider everything that wasn't the pressure hull, or weight release mechanisms, "not safety critical".

Which is moronic, because while you might be right 90% of the time, the other 10% where you need thrust to get out of a sticky situation will kill you.

But if that's their underlying philosophy, I see why they didn't bother with redundancy, hardening, testing etc.

Of course, if your assumption of what should be considered safety critical is _wrong_, or you _also_ fail to properly assess the few components even you consider to be safety critical, well, it's the 100ms juicero for you, sport.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

William Bear posted:

while googling for it i found this article about a similar oxygen situation: https://euro.eseuro.com/trends/494536.html
interesting write up, fantastic font formatting :whatthechrist: :hellyeah:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Joe Exotics The Life aquatic

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

William Bear posted:

Does this include any variables, such as the oxygen depletion if one of them has spent the last 16 hours hysterically screaming?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

William Bear posted:

Don't worry; they packed plenty of cans of Perriair to use if the oxygen supply starts to dwindle.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary liberal mumbo jumbo to me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kalleth posted:

It seems to me that their "philosophy" was to consider everything that wasn't the pressure hull, or weight release mechanisms, "not safety critical".
To be fair.

I don't think they considered the pressure hull or the window or an emergency escape to be safety critical either.

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/FredTaming/status/1671257627207274496?s=20

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Oxygen Not Included is on sale this week

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kalleth posted:

Which is moronic, because while you might be right 90% of the time, the other 10% where you need thrust to get out of a sticky situation will kill you.

But if that's their underlying philosophy, I see why they didn't bother with redundancy, hardening, testing etc.

Of course, if your assumption of what should be considered safety critical is _wrong_, or you _also_ fail to properly assess the few components even you consider to be safety critical, well, it's the 100ms juicero for you, sport.

They directly said their design philosophy is "most accidents are caused by human error, so don't bother trying to accident-proof the hardware".

Groversub posted:

The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure. As a result, simply focusing on classing the vessel does not address the operational risks. Maintaining high-level operational safety requires constant, committed effort and a focused corporate culture – two things that OceanGate takes very seriously and that are not assessed during classification.

Dumbest loving thing I've ever seen.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

William Bear posted:

Nice

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

Klyith posted:

They directly said their design philosophy is "most accidents are caused by human error, so don't bother trying to accident-proof the hardware".

But their design team is recent college grads.... concerning

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's designed to stand up to a 16yo throwing it. :colbert:

They forgot to pack extra batteries.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can’t find the post early in the thread and Twitter search is useless, but someone had posted photos of when the sub was diving saying they didn’t know what it was at the time. Were those confirmed a real thing?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

Just remembered the kid who was dared off his graduation party boat. Is this the year of ocean water terror?

You forgot man who got chomped on by a giant tiger shark in Egpyt caught on camera.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBXmNgUzDyc

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What is gonna happen to corpses in an oxygen less environment that is presumably free ish from the things that help to decompose bodies?
The same thing that happens to all bodies. Carcinization comes for us all, some more directly than others.

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.
Groversub posted:

The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure. As a result, simply focusing on classing the vessel does not address the operational risks. Maintaining high-level operational safety requires constant, committed effort and a focused corporate culture – two things that OceanGate takes very seriously and that are not assessed during classification.

Apparently they could only maintain a constant, committed effort for 1 hr and 45 mins.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Butterwagon posted:

But their design team is recent college grads.... concerning

Third party design reviews are a waste of time and money when you can just browbeat a 22 year old employee into signing off on the crayon blueprints.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Third party design reviews are a waste of time and money when you can just browbeat a 22 year old employee into signing off on the crayon blueprints.

Fiverr-rear end submersible

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Death By SnuSnu posted:

Groversub posted:

The vast majority of marine (and aviation) accidents are a result of operator error, not mechanical failure.

Comet Airlines could not be reached for comment

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

these fannies dead yet or what?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Unironically, I had all of these thoughts and a hundred more when I looked at their "design". There are low-tech solutions that can work, but everything here reeked of "how hard could it be?" It's the kind of deep sea submersible I would build in my back yard and maybe get a write-up on some pop sci website. There's been no concessions to safety or usability, it's all half-assed.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

William Bear posted:

Well goddamn, thanks lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The laaaast of Grover's Privateers...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

zedprime posted:

The same thing that happens to all bodies. Carcinization comes for us all, some more directly than others.