Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Tbf, Charlotte can't be mainstream famous because she is unrecognisable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

xbilkis posted:

Congrats to Rhea for some people online thinking she's hot, but even on the front of "attractive woman with a social media following" she has half as many Instagram followers as Charlotte Flair, who is absolutely not mainstream famous.

Zero wrestlers who rose to prominence after the early Ruthless Aggression era are anywhere close to being mainstream famous

In these discussions I always think back to this guy at work who thought "pro wrestling" had been canceled in the 90s and had no idea it was more than just a single tv show or that it continued on through today.

Or that survey Meltzer talked about a few months ago where like 30% or some insane percentage of people couldn't name a single pro wrestler past or present.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Who is the most main stream famous pro wrestler in WWE and AEW

probably Bad Bunny/Logan Paul for WWE

Not really anyone in AEW widely recognized maybe Sting, or Shaq

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Eat My Fuc posted:

Danielson still gets recognized as the "yes! Yes! Yes!" Guy with arms pointing up by people who have never watched wrestling.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Eat My Fuc posted:

If you’re not counting part-timers, celebs or legends I literally have no idea lol. It’s so hard to gauge popularity these days.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While there is some crossover and media is way more friendly to wrestling than in the past just by the nature of the current market and the fragmentation it's hard to make a huge crossover star on the level of a Hogan, Austin, Rock, Santo, Inoki, and Baba. And it's not like wrestling needs one, it just needs a star strong enough to keep it's current audience from falling cause it produces better numbers than most things on TV

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Tampa Bae posted:

If you've hit mainstream famous that means someone on the street that doesn't watch wrestling is going to recognize you and I really doubt that's Dom or Rhea

They probably just think Dom is Peso Pluma

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

got tricked into talking in the wwe thread

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, Logan Paul is in the MITB match? Hahaha wtf

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

edogawa rando posted:

Wait, Logan Paul is in the MITB match? Hahaha wtf

He should beat Roman.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Logan Paul beating Roman at Wrestlemania 40 is the exact kind of thing I would expect Vince to do.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

e: Gable Steveson is on NXT now and got absolutely no reaction lmao
That never stopped him before

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

keithy george posted:

gently caress lol

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alaois posted:

Wow Shawn Michaels really is teaching them everything he knows

They're learning how to get beat up by Marines?

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Alaois posted:

They're learning how to lose their smiles?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

keithy george posted:

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

You mean, how many pills you can take before a match and still perform somewhat capably?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Jericho probably counts as “mainstream famous”

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Julio Cruz posted:

Jericho probably counts as “mainstream famous”

jericho and cm punk are prob recognizable to a decent amount of non wrassle fans. as far as wwe and if we're not counting ppl who were already very famous (bad bunny/paul) uhhh

idk whenever roman doesn't get mistaken for Jason momoa maybe the saturation has gotten deep enough for some normie recognition?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i think ppl are missing Cena, most ppl know who he is

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

lol if you're not doing the la knight "yeaaah" irl

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is it LA like the city or what

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kvlt! posted:

what normie knows who john cena is. none of them. Its hogan, rock, batista, and apparently rhea ripley now

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

LemmetalktoyA Knight

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

emjayo posted:

The what

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Louisiana.

HE GOTTA PUT THAT ON A CRACKA YEAH!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Kvlt! posted:

Because they can't see him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

emjayo posted:

:yeah:

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Taker deserves credit for being the only wrestler (besides Kane but thats connected) to make a supernatural character/gimmick work and work for a whole extended career

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

LA Knight should change his name to La Knight and hit more people with chairs/dance on chairs

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Logan Paul is going to win MITB and then beat Seth Rollins for the title at Summerslam and then disappear with the belt until like January. This is WWE, so the dumbest thing possible would be to create a new belt since Roman has the other one all tied up, then almost immediately put it on a guy who will also tie it up, just to set up a big Wrestlemania match between Roman and Logan Paul where Roman ends up with all three belts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

projecthalaxy posted:

what normie knows who john cena is. none of them. Its hogan, rock, batista, and apparently rhea ripley now

Peacemaker was pretty popular wasn't it? I'd say Fast 9 but I sometimes completely forget he was in it

e: LA Knight being 40 means he's old enough for Vince to give him a push with the US belt for a couple years then maybe in five or so he'll get a two month reign with the big strap

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 21, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

sportsgenius86 posted:

Logan Paul is going to win MITB and then beat Seth Rollins for the title at Summerslam and then disappear with the belt until like January. This is WWE, so the dumbest thing possible would be to create a new belt since Roman has the other one all tied up, then almost immediately put it on a guy who will also tie it up, just to set up a big Wrestlemania match between Roman and Logan Paul where Roman ends up with all three belts.

Four.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

OH. MY. GOD!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

emjayo posted:

YEAH

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

That DICK! posted: