Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I wonder if billionaires really understand how much everyone hates them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

they don't interact with or even see enough people that aren't devoted sycophants enough to even be aware that they're hated

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

the ones spending all their money on setting up fortified hidey-holes for the apocalypse kinda do

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

insane clown pussy posted:

the ones spending all their money on setting up fortified hidey-holes for the apocalypse kinda do

"so how do we stop our guards from killing us inside?"

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

there is not a single billionaire, not one, who isn't directly responsible for so much misery that the world would be better without them in it
i don't understand people who argue otherwise for free, at least get a billionaire to cut you a check before you start defending the indefensible

Tony Khan can book the worker led wrestling promotion after the revolution

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Creating a perpetual number machine with ai

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Palladium posted:

Loved that story about the doomsday consultant guy who was like "well you could just provide for them and their families, that level of security in an uncertain world would probably do a lot" and the billionaires are like "yeah I was thinking more like a bomb collar"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

sleep with the vicious posted:

Tony Khan can book the worker led wrestling promotion after the revolution

you loving mark

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol what is the government going to do other than send planes to look to see if its on the surface. no one but weridos like jimmy cameras and oil and gas companies have the equipment to dive that deep

Submarine rescue vehicles usually aren't rated for much depth, because the few times you can get off the boat when it's stuck on the bottom, and the most likely time it happens, is moving into and out of port.

Finding the boat at the bottom would be a nice win for the searchers, don't know what the recovery plan would actually be, though, the vehicle I'm referring to was built to attach to our normal hatches that can be operated internally. Maybe they would try to inflate something and float it to the surface, but I don't know physics so I assume even found and still intact it's unrecoverable.

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Loved that story about the doomsday consultant guy who was like "well you could just provide for them and their families, that level of security in an uncertain world would probably do a lot" and the billionaires are like "yeah I was thinking more like a bomb collar"

You don't keep accumulating money long after your needs are met unless you're an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I know everyone wants the billionaires to experience their comeuppance upon the ocean floor, but if in the impossible chance they were rescued it could be a transformative moment for them, realizing their folly in their pursuit of vast riches and spend the remainder of their lives conducting acts of redemption with their money horde.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

lol how do you own a mass grave

very carefully

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rip Testes posted:

I know everyone wants the billionaires to experience their comeuppance upon the ocean floor, but if in the impossible chance they were rescued it could be a transformative moment for them, realizing their folly in their pursuit of vast riches and spend the remainder of their lives conducting acts of redemption with their money horde.

lol, lmao

Apr 7, 2003

If these guys were rescued alive it would absolutely just strengthen their convictions that they are special people who deserve everything they have.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Palladium posted:

The funniest post apocalyptic scenario is scavengers finding these underground fortresses and simply plugging up the air vents.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Submarine rescue vehicles usually aren't rated for much depth, because the few times you can get off the boat when it's stuck on the bottom, and the most likely time it happens, is moving into and out of port.

Finding the boat at the bottom would be a nice win for the searchers, don't know what the recovery plan would actually be, though, the vehicle I'm referring to was built to attach to our normal hatches that can be operated internally. Maybe they would try to inflate something and float it to the surface, but I don't know physics so I assume even found and still intact it's unrecoverable.

So the Titanic wreck is going to be like Everest- littered with the unrecoverable corpses of rich thrillseekers

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
Let's see how sub dipshit Ben Dreyfuss is doing...

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1671238191787982851?cxt=HHwWhoC2yfyRt7EuAAAA

https://twitter.com/bendreyfuss/status/1671219482801602560?cxt=HHwWgIDQ4fvQrrEuAAAA

lollmao

Abusing a drug addict: top-notch comedy, you're the loser I'm not a loser (I'm not owned, etc.)

out-of-touch dipshits dying because they entrusted their life to another dipshit with a tin can: you guys please don't laugh :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

is pepsi ok posted:

The funniest post apocalyptic scenario is scavengers finding these underground fortresses and simply plugging up the air vents.

You forgot the part where I piss in the air vents before plugging them up.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

RadiRoot posted:

never imagined them burning to a crisp surrounded by so much water. so many possibilities!

Normally subs only have 16-28% O2 in the air, which makes it a bit harder for fires to start, but they still can. If they kept the O2 level in the boat higher than atmospheric levels they were wasting a lot of oxygen, could probably had another day or 2 depending on how stressed the people were, stressed / awake crews burn more O2, after all.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

We'll need entertainment! What we don't need is left handed stores, or CIA connected airplane brokerages (what this rich guy did)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

You don't keep accumulating money long after your needs are met unless you're an irredeemable piece of poo poo

Yeah, wealth accumulation beyond a certain point effectively makes you a violent criminal, just (sometimes) removed from that violence by a degree or two. There's a very fuzzy line over where it starts mattering, but billionaires are looking at that line from outside the heliopause so there's not much question where they fall.

History should look back on the megawealthy with the same contempt as any other monster responsible for uncountable death and misery, but of course that will never happen.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

antipattern posted:

brian doesn't seem too concerned

~~~NSFW~~~

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

lol how do you own a mass grave

Salvage law!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_salvage#:~:text=The%20law%20of%20salvage%20is,value%20of%20the%20property%20saved.
https://www.noaa.gov/gc-international-section/rms-titanic-frequently-asked-questions

EDIT: journalists have been playing fast and loose with the idea of "owning" the Titanic wreckage. That NOAA.gov link goes into it.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Jun 21, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I thought you had to bring it to the surface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's always "he's 19 years old" and not "he's still the son of a billionaire who would never want for anything in his life"

they keep hammering the age part because looking at these people through the lens of class means none of them are sympathetic!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

see: Elon musk at that Dave Chappelle show

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

cat botherer posted:

I thought you had to bring it to the surface.

Yeah. You beat me to my edit attempt. There are salvage rights versus actually owning anything down there. Like you said, you actually need to retrieve it before any of this matters.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's always "he's 19 years old" and not "he's still the son of a billionaire who would never want for anything in his life"

they keep hammering the age part because looking at these people through the lens of class means none of them are sympathetic!

I feel bad for a 19 year old kid who could have led a very good and purposeful life and didn't have the chance.

I know the wealth of two of these passengers is a tempting excuse to dehumanize all these people, but I don't want anyone to go through what probably happened down there.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That kid lost the opportunity to live a purposeful and socially meaningful life when he was born into a billionaire's family.

You don't have to dehumanize the ultrawealthy to feel incredible contempt for them. The fact that they are humans just like the rest of us is why they're contemptible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The teen was the son of a billionaire he wasn't going to lead a good life anyway

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I feel a lot worse for the 700+ (many of them kids) migrants who drowned just last week, but they aren't important enough for libs to care so

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Are the billionaires fish food yet?

I feel bad for the French diver, like pretty bad actually, but the owner of the company reaping what he sows is pretty lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If these guys were rescued alive it would absolutely just strengthen their convictions that they are special people who deserve everything they have.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Are the billionaires fish food yet?

I feel bad for the French diver, like pretty bad actually, but the owner of the company reaping what he sows is pretty lol

Probably. Some rescue plane said they heard banging in the area, but I dunno the wreck of the Titanic probably has metal pieces that have been banging against each other for over 100 years.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Creating a perpetual number machine with ai

it keeps counting up but loses the plot and switches to letters, causing mass layoffs

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

sleep with the vicious posted:

I feel a lot worse for the 700+ (many of them kids) migrants who drowned just last week, but they aren't important enough for libs to care so

People do seem to overlook the fact that the Greek coast guard are not involved with the submersible and a pretty common reaction from "libs" is wondering why the US has to go through all this trouble.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Probably. Some rescue plane said they heard banging in the area, but I dunno the wreck of the Titanic probably has metal pieces that have been banging against each other for over 100 years.

You'd think if the noises were the crew trying to get the attention of rescuers they could do something more definitive than a vague banging noise every half hour. Maybe bang out an SOS or something if you know the sonar planes can hear you? IDK, I'm not an expert on being rescued from 13,000 feet below the Atlantic. But I'd bet a modest sub edit: sum of money that the sub imploded days ago.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Eric Cantonese posted:

People do seem to overlook the fact that the Greek coast guard are not involved with the submersible

Can you be sure?

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Between this whole sub thing and the orcas I think I love the ocean now :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

People do seem to overlook the fact that the Greek coast guard are not involved with the submersible and a pretty common reaction from "libs" is wondering why the US has to go through all this trouble.

I think I'm missing your point but no, by and large I haven't seen much outrage about the migrant drownings or to use an example closer to home, kids in cages at the border