Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It won't "matter" but some players don't feel a strong need to do prefarming and just like doing the long-term optimal thing. For us, 25% is 25%! Let us enjoy it!

If someone comes in talking poo poo about casuals or something, then sure, dunk on them. But just talking about optimality, and pursuing it for yourself, is fine. "Do what you want" should also apply to people who value theorycrafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

no one is telling you not to prioritize efficiency if that's your bag. the point is not to stress it if you don't want to because enjoying your video game is more important than playing in a way that is not fun for you.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

UHD posted:

no one is telling you not to prioritize efficiency if that's your bag. the point is not to stress it if you don't want to because enjoying your video game is more important than playing in a way that is not fun for you.

?? I know. I'm talking about people responding to efficiency questions with "it doesn't matter" when it does, if you care

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i haven't seen folks mention it that much but it's an absolute dream that i don't have to run around the map looking for materials to level up my guys. i refuse to go searching for little seedpods or cocomelons or fireflowers or some garbage for three weeks so i can ascend someone

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

I did have to farm more robot parts after SW came out, but it's a lot easier to go 'where are there robots to kill' than search for collectibles.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I figure there is zero pressing need to ascend characters when hitting 60, so why worry about prefarming at all.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i haven't seen folks mention it that much but it's an absolute dream that i don't have to run around the map looking for materials to level up my guys. i refuse to go searching for little seedpods or cocomelons or fireflowers or some garbage for three weeks so i can ascend someone

This was the thing that made me drop Genshin finally. Like I pulled Nahida, looked around and went "I don't want to go pick up all this poo poo" and stopped playing immediately.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
When I got raiden shogun in genshin and realized I had to roam around the island following a guide of fruit spawn locations was a big factor to me burning out

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

A lot of genshin item spawns like the rarer flowers are also on like 3 day timers (with maybe only 15 scattered throughout the game world) so if you don't have any friends' worlds to plunder look forward to being forcibly gated

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Genshin always seemed schizophrenic in that way to me, like the entire monetization scheme is based around making you want new characters, and yet it takes so much effort and often time gating to make those new characters usable, especially when they come with new bosses or artifacts. Compare that to FGO where you can instantly promote anyone into relevance just minutes after getting them. You can sometimes pre-farm in Genshin, but they seem to gently caress with it as much as possible.

My only guess is that some marketing dudes say it Creates Engagement for it to be this way. At least Star Rail takes a lot less time and mental effort!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I mostly regret not keeping up with traces. Here I am at A4 and most of my key traces are at level 2 or not unlocked because I didn't touch Echoes of War when they were immediately available.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

traces are like the biggest jump in power, i am pretty sure, according to dr. myself

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Xalidur posted:

Genshin always seemed schizophrenic in that way to me, like the entire monetization scheme is based around making you want new characters, and yet it takes so much effort and often time gating to make those new characters usable, especially when they come with new bosses or artifacts. Compare that to FGO where you can instantly promote anyone into relevance just minutes after getting them. You can sometimes pre-farm in Genshin, but they seem to gently caress with it as much as possible.

My only guess is that some marketing dudes say it Creates Engagement for it to be this way. At least Star Rail takes a lot less time and mental effort!

Yeah I played a ton of genshin on launch, and got a high level team with good artifacts. Then I stopped playing more or less. I come back every year or so, maybe pull a character but not use them because it would take like a month of effort to make a new team that's as good as my old one.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Walla posted:

I mostly regret not keeping up with traces. Here I am at A4 and most of my key traces are at level 2 or not unlocked because I didn't touch Echoes of War when they were immediately available.

Traces mostly don't use EoW materials. Only the big ones unlocked by ascension levels do, and they use exactly one Echoes of War Boss worth for the entire character (so you get enough materials for three characters per week). The leveled traces don't use EoW materials at all. EoW shouldn't be gating you.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm planning on only pre-farming ascension mats for precisely 4 characters, my generically best team of Seele, Jing Yuan, Bronya and Natasha (with free Fireblazer), just to give them that little ascension stat bump so they can handle stuff like calyxes a little better. Actually levelling them and ascending the other 8 or so characters I'd like to eventually get to 80 can happen over time

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Zurai posted:

Traces mostly don't use EoW materials. Only the big ones unlocked by ascension levels do, and they use exactly one Echoes of War Boss worth for the entire character (so you get enough materials for three characters per week). The leveled traces don't use EoW materials at all. EoW shouldn't be gating you.

Traces level 8 and above do require EoW materials to level.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

traces are like the biggest jump in power, i am pretty sure, according to dr. myself

It depends on where you're at in progression. The earliest levels, like 5-6, are definitely worth it. But later levels have absurd ratios of energy to gains. And some of the nodes are skippable. 8% more defense on Natasha will be worth it eventually, but not until I've spent a lot of energy on other stuff for bigger progression gains

Level and light cones are the easiest to increase and give good power gains, then relics with right mainstats are huuuuge power increases, then traces, I think. Could be wrong, haven't done math.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Danakir posted:

Specifically, going 7->8 and beyond does.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Zurai posted:

Leveled traces start using EoW materials for the last few levels.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Danakir posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

Specifically, going 7->8 and beyond does.

Ah, sorry. I don't think I've taken any that far. Still, they're not keeping you from leveling a trace past level 2.

EDIT: My experience is that the purple Crimson Calyx materials are a way bigger roadblock. They are rare as hens' teeth at TL50, so you have to convert them up from blues, which are 1 per 10 stamina. And you need multiple of them per trace level.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 21, 2023

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The EoW materials are gating me in the sense that I didn't farm them for 2 or 3 weeks so I'm having to play catch up.

This isn't a problem with the game. I'm just venting my frustration with myself with my poor past decisions.

Also it takes about 3 full days of stamina to level and ascend a character to 60. Ugh.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

The good news is: since it's a marathon and not a sprint, those few weeks of missing mats will matter less and less as time goes on. I don't think it'll hurt your progression at all, in fact! You're still in good shape.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thank you!

Like I said, I'm just a bit frustrated with myself. I realized just how much I had shorted myself after discussing my issues with Jing Yuan. His talent isn't leveled at all and I never unlocked his A2 trace which significantly improves his damage output. Of course he feels weak next to my E5 Serval. And that's true for most of my characters. I've been coasting on levels and sub par gear and that just is isn't good enough at level 60+.

Gepard should be done tomorrow. Then I can start on traces for him, SW and Sushang over the weekend. Sunday I have to hit EoW before the reset. And then next week I can start on grinding for relics. Thankfully my Sushang is E4 so I really only need to unlock her A4 and up her skill a bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

Traces are the thing I think feels way worse than the Genshin equivalent.

Yeah, it's definitely worse, but it's at least the sort of thing that feels like a reasonable long-term grind (because it's basically just minor incremental buffs to abilities).

big cummers ONLY posted:

The good news is: since it's a marathon and not a sprint, those few weeks of missing mats will matter less and less as time goes on. I don't think it'll hurt your progression at all, in fact! You're still in good shape.

Wrong - they're screwed and have lost the game of Honkai Star Rail. There is no coming back from this.

Xalidur posted:

Compare that to FGO where you can instantly promote anyone into relevance just minutes after getting them.

I don't think this is really the case until you've been playing so long that you just have a massive store of items, especially when it comes to leveling up skills (which is often very important in FGO due to cooldowns).

The only real difference is that Genshin sometimes has characters with ascension items that can't be pre-farmed, but I've definitely been able to instantly get new characters to a playable level in Genshin on many occasions. And if anything, a character's level matters much less in Genshin than it does in FGO.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think this is really the case until you've been playing so long that you just have a massive store of items, especially when it comes to leveling up skills (which is often very important in FGO due to cooldowns).

The only real difference is that Genshin sometimes has characters with ascension items that can't be pre-farmed, but I've definitely been able to instantly get new characters to a playable level in Genshin on many occasions. And if anything, a character's level matters much less in Genshin than it does in FGO.

My account is only a year old and I've instantly made every servant I've gotten viable for a long time now.

That being said, my FGO gacha RNG has *sucked* for awhile, which probably helps!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Walla posted:

Gepard should be done tomorrow. Then I can start on traces for him, SW and Sushang over the weekend.

For the record, a lot of Gepard's traces are either useless (anything having to do with his Talent) or very minimally useful (ice damage increase). The only things he really needs are his Ultimate and any defense increase nodes you can get. He's one of the easiest/cheapest characters to Trace up since he's so one-note.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Zurai posted:

.... They are rare as hens' teeth at TL50, so you have to convert them up from blues, which are 1 per 10 stamina. And you need multiple of them per trace level.

i'm currently prefarming hens' teeth for the foghorn leghorn space lawyer we're getting 8 patches from now

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I've noticed. His A2 improves his aggro and I'm actually going to build his skill a bit. Freeze on demand is one of the reasons I wanted him.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Draxion posted:

This was the thing that made me drop Genshin finally. Like I pulled Nahida, looked around and went "I don't want to go pick up all this poo poo" and stopped playing immediately.

That and paimon are pretty good reasons to never play genshin again

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Also since we're talking about grinding, apparently Friday is a 2 for 1 special on Planar ornaments in SU. Double rewards. I think it lasts for a week?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i think taking into account both character level and traces material, the argument is that you will probably prefarm Something so better to prefarm level material before equilibrium because the differences between exp tiers is lower than the difference for traces

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

That's the thrust of it. The other important bit is that the improved drop rates for ascension mats probably aren't significant enough to matter, and will matter even less the longer you keep playing. So yeah, it's more optimal if you don't care about instantly maxing out someone when you hit the next EQ. But no big deal if you want to. I imagine most players won't notice the difference.

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad
Approximately 66% of the time when I'm in the mood to grind talent mats in genshin I look at the character I want to level up, see it's the wrong day, then shut the game off and do something else. Star rail may technically be slower in that aspect, but being able to do what I want when I want is way more fulfilling. I never know which days I'll have time to actually play for a while vs. just doing a few dailies, and I don't feel punished for that in this game.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Draxion posted:

yep.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Getting new characters online - not maxed out, but at least functional - will become increasingly speedy as time passes and the massive initial glut of characters everyone has to work on slowly graduate to "good enough" status and all future efforts can be focused on new acquisitions.

It seems particularly crushing right now because basically everyone is working on functionally their entire roster simultaneously, so going "yay I got Seele and Silver Wolf to level 80" doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment because you know you've got like 7 other characters who you need exp books for. That will go away over time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, I only spent like 100 bucks on this early on because I really, really wanted Seele, and yet (once I get a second healer) I already have 9-10 units I could probably eventually clear all the game's content with

All future additions are just gravy for me

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Holy poo poo the Destruction path is insane. I just went through 3-2 again and I still had to tech in Natasha at the end. Gepard is level 55 and his shield is only good for about 1,000. I'm hoping I won't need to pair him with Nat soon. Also I managed to get the achievement for having zero monies after finishing SU.

My team is SW, Asta, Sushang and Gepard. I'm hoping to pull Pela to replace Asta here, because a team of debuffing crowd control with fast as hell Sushang sounds fun. Also Sushang is too drat fast. If I gave her speed boots I could get her to 200 speed with Asta's help.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

a good gepard will give your more shields than their health bar, so ya you won't need to use nat with him as soon as he gets geared more.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

The drop rates for this last stage of trace material farming sure are garbage, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You get like 3 or 4 every 60-energy run when you include upconverting the lower-tier drops.