Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

...and now a former Royal Navy Admiral says the banging sounds were probably not the sub.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...8737e3057&ei=14

So if your money was on, "Window rated for swimming pool depth failing," you could still be in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

Is there any failure-at-depth scenario that doesn't end with them imploded? The one article mentioned a "dead-man's switch" that would automatically release the sandbag ballast after a day or so. But even if that worked, they'd be non-buoyant if full of water, yeah?

Nope.Theres no failure scenario where the hull just floods. Not at that pressure.If the hull failed in any way and lets water in catastrophic failure happens.The Titanium caps might be recognisible, everything else would be atomised.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

...and now a former Royal Navy Admiral says the banging sounds were probably not the sub.

So if your money was on, "Window rated for swimming pool depth failing," you could still be in the game.

quote:

The hull of the submersible is said to be made of carbon fiber, which Parry said would more likely make an undetectable "dull thud" than a tapping noise.

lol, lmao even

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Read a few accounts of deep-sea divers in those old-school diving helmets attached to hoses and pumps. When they went bad, it was bad. Like 'Half a person sucked up into a hose' bad. And that's a fraction of the depth.

e: Mythbusters did it, of course. :nms: for simulated gore

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 21, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

this is one of the things I was thinking. metal can clang, but carbon fibre wouldn't make that much noise.

maybe they can clonk the carbon fibre hard enough to shatter it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are hemispherical titanium caps on either end of the lovely epoxy tube. Just bang on that.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

i thought we all established that the banging was the sound of orcas lmao'ing

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Slotducks posted:

i thought we all established that the banging was the sound of orcas minks lmao'ing

As a Swede I know that any sound or ping eventually turns out to be less subs and more rear end in a top hat mink taking a break from killing all native birds.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Slotducks posted:

i thought we all established that the banging was the sound of orcas lmao'ing

I didn't even think of the orcas. Now that would be a twist.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Platystemon posted:

There are hemispherical titanium caps on either end of the lovely epoxy tube. Just bang on that.

I thought about that. Would the fact that they are attached to the CF muffle the effect though?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

weg posted:

I didn't even think of the orcas. Now that would be a twist.

https://twitter.com/meat__hook/status/1671424090702331906

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The billionaires are going to be livid over all these plebes showing bloodlust so openly. Their dick riders are already raising a stink on Twitter, wondering when the head twit will chime in.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

ilmucche posted:

this is one of the things I was thinking. metal can clang, but carbon fibre wouldn't make that much noise.

maybe they can clonk the carbon fibre hard enough to shatter it

If the sub was below the thermal layer it would probably just bounce their banging back to the sea bed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fumble posted:

If the sub was below the thermal layer it would probably just bounce their banging back to the sea bed.

And there's potentially many thermal layers along the entire depth profile of the Atlantic. Just the top one/few are usually referred to because they're the only ones in reach of most military submarines.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why won’t they have a buoy? I think Mir subs have one with a 7km long cable so if you get stuck in bottom you can at least show the rough position of your boat to surface.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They don't have a lot of things.

Like sense.

Or air.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they are very dense.

because the ocean comppressed them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's too good not to crosspost

EngineerJoe posted:

My memorial

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

A picture of the "construction pipes for ballast" has been shared. It's just weight for the trip down and they leave it behind to come back up. So the deep sea billionaires have joined the Everest billionaires in the tradition of littering the site with empty cylinders and their bodies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ihmemies posted:

Why won’t they have a buoy? I think Mir subs have one with a 7km long cable so if you get stuck in bottom you can at least show the rough position of your boat to surface.

And who's gonna pay for this safety buoy, you? Definitely not Stockton Rush that's for sure, he knows what he's doing, even the one time he did get lost it was only a little lost, what's gonna happen?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Petition to rename the thread something like Thrill Seekers: Some go up, some go down

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

sometimes the terrain wins

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Thrillseekers: As above, so below

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I was gonna propose Measured From Tip to Trench but uh

HopperUK posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Yup, especially since Everest season is only like 3 months of the year from starting to hike to EBC to the last people off the mountain.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I like having Everest in the title, but obviously the thread is broader than that.

"Everest and other thrillseeking: Mostly dead rich dudes"

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Thrillionaire Oxygen Deprivation Megathread

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

weg posted:

I retract my previous vote

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

weg posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

weg posted:

Thrillionaire Oxygen Deprivation Megathread: As above, so below

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

weg posted:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The only thing about me that isn't rich is my blood oxygen level.

I like the combo title.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

weg posted:

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

Mokotow posted:

The billionaires are going to be livid over all these plebes showing bloodlust so openly. Their dick riders are already raising a stink on Twitter, wondering when the head twit will chime in.

You're implying that the billionaires are actually paying any attention to the plebes.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Alan Smithee posted:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Debris field found. Not clear where or if they've even confirmed it's the Titan.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-co..._source=twitter

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ever resting at the top, ever resting at the bottom

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Rest In Pressure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

weg posted:

:eyepop: