Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lister posted:

I was hoping D4 would do away with D3's "pick up every yellow because you never know which one could be an upgrade" thing that happens late into the game. Maybe this is heresy, but I wish there was a place I could sell good yellows that I don't need, and then browse for other ones that I might be able to use. Like an auction house.

In D3 you don't loot yellows at all, in the last season your pet automatically salvages them as soon as they drop for you even lol. What game were you playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
theyre thinking of d2 as a non expansion character

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
Or poe if no one told you about loot filters

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

In D3 you don't loot yellows at all, in the last season your pet automatically salvages them as soon as they drop for you even lol. What game were you playing?

well, they were worth something once

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
RE GOTY chat from yesterday.

Nintendo just announced the SMRPG remaster and a new :catdrugs: 2D Mario. D4 is excellent, but can it compete with elephant Mario?

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
If it aint mario odyssey 2, it aint game of the year

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mario arpg when

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

wemgo posted:

If it aint Mario Galaxy 3, it aint game of the year

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

unattended spaghetti posted:

Ok whoever thought disabling town portal as a wrinkle should be shot into the sun. That is pure bullshit. It doesn't make the play more interesting whatsoever. It either adds tedious bullshit or its utterly irrelevent.

Those are made up. They aren't in the game

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

FlapYoJacks posted:

Nintendo just announced the SMRPG remaster and a new :catdrugs: 2D Mario. D4 is excellent, but can it compete with elephant Mario?

I don't think it matters, GOTY is Zelda or starfield this year if starfield delivers.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
can you drink elixirs of death evasion in combat? between them and scrolls of escape being able to be put on the quick cast menu i really struggle to see how anyone could die other than lagging out or something unusually bullshit (like a multishot shotgun or whatever)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

Super Mario RPG remaster!?

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Just got to the sidequest where you go back to where they summoned Lilith and it's really cool that they had a whole cgi cutscene where they're doing the blood thing while overwhelmed by ghouls and poo poo and I just punch the door and stomp on a dozen trash mobs and that's it.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

RCarr posted:

Super Mario RPG remaster!?

Yeah, the snes one

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Stux posted:

theyre thinking of d2 as a non expansion character

Speaking of OG D2, it was extremely funny that in version 1.0, Summon Skeleton not only added an extra skeleton with literally EVERY point, but that they were also impossible for the Necro to move through so you'd have to keep unsummoning them after they'd trap you in a corner or at Charsi lol.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Going back and playing D2 1.0 is a fascinating experience.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

wemgo posted:

Yeah, the snes one

gently caress yea

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Going back and playing D2 1.0 is a fascinating experience.

Pre lod pvp decrepify / bone spirit Necro was so much fun

Umes lament best in slot lol

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Verviticus posted:

can you drink elixirs of death evasion in combat? between them and scrolls of escape being able to be put on the quick cast menu i really struggle to see how anyone could die other than lagging out or something unusually bullshit (like a multishot shotgun or whatever)

Pretty sure you can drink them mid combat. I assume you can't drink them while hard crowd controlled since I wasn't able to use my Scroll of Escape keybind while being chain frozen.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I never said anything about gating anything. I'm saying the rewards for going out of your way to do a world boss should be worth the time and effort.

Oh I know you didn't. Was more a thought adjacent to yours.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Those are made up. They aren't in the game

Oh haha I'm a moron I thought the first list was real.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Xenthalon posted:

I think I'm done with the game for now and will wait until season starts. I'm level 70 and can do NM dungeons in the 21-25 range well enough, I can see where the grind goes, but don't really see the point. It's a well made game, but I kinda want to play it 1-2 years down the line when the edges are smoothed out and itemization is better.
Same, although I'm only 61. I unintentionally broke the game progression by dropping a ilvl 795 before upgrades 2h legendary two handed hammer that rolled vulnerable dmg, crit dmg and two other damage types without any reroll and I've realised that from there on it's going to be slow but reliable increments in survivability and damage through paragon/Glyph and by replacing all my sacred gear with the exact same copy, but ancestral. I don't really find that very appealing, especially since I just swapped from regular to sacred 10 levels ago and unlocking the new difficulty doesn't really allow me new build possibilities now that I have enough CDR and resource generation to run my build with no downtime using sacred gear.

The uniques could be a good way to add variety and satisfy the drop lizard brain if they were fun or enabled new gameplay possibilities, but there are too few and they are too rare to keep me grinding until they become more commonplace.

I think I'll switch back to my T3, lvl51 Sorc and see how the hand-me-down system works for a character.that is not starting from scratch, but I'll probably get bored around the same point and wait for S1 to roll a Necro or Rogue.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 21, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I just picked this up, quite late to the party. What's the most fun class to play right now? Don't say Necro. In D2 I pretty much always went Sorc after a certain point but that was mainly because being able to spam TP with lots of FCR was more fun than not being able to spam TP.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

I got more xp and loot from killing a treasure goblin 5 mins later than I did from my world boss kill today. I was about .5% of an xp bar off lvl 72 going in - at the end I had .4% left and a cache I can't open.

TY little screaming loot pinata.

This is whats funny as hell to me also. I killed a world boss and didn't get poo poo. A gobo a screen over dropped three legendaries and I just sigh

they were all worthless BUT STILL

Gwaihir posted:

I dont care what anyone says, D3 is in an awesome spot after being out after 50 years

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Splinter posted:

I just picked this up, quite late to the party. What's the most fun class to play right now? Don't say Necro. In D2 I pretty much always went Sorc after a certain point but that was mainly because being able to spam TP with lots of FCR was more fun than not being able to spam TP.

Rogue imo. Plenty of build choices that play very well and go fast.

Philthy posted:

I dont care what anyone says, D3 is in an awesome spot after being out after 50 years

Absolutely. It's the pitch perfect two week seasonal blast with a good progression curve and nicely defined stopping point.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 21, 2023

Koroshi
Feb 4, 2012

Philthy posted:

Until they remaster it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
theres no curve its just a straight diagonal line

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Speaking of OG D2, it was extremely funny that in version 1.0, Summon Skeleton not only added an extra skeleton with literally EVERY point, but that they were also impossible for the Necro to move through so you'd have to keep unsummoning them after they'd trap you in a corner or at Charsi lol.

lol its easy to forget how hosed up that game was early on

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
You used to be able to get decrepify up to 95+% slow, go to town and declare hostility to other players, and then freeze them in place forever until they either left the game or let monsters kill them so they would lose XP.

Good times.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
i really need to replay d1, cos i started w d1 as a kid but i never went back to it after d2 and i want to see how strange it is now after all this time

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
the goon server for Eastern Sun D2 mod was amazing and I probably put as much time into that as maybe half of what I put into Everquest

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Stux posted:

i really need to replay d1, cos i started w d1 as a kid but i never went back to it after d2 and i want to see how strange it is now after all this time

it was basically a graphical version of rogue/angband/moria and it was pretty loving great

you had to find your spells in the dungeons, none of the skill tree stuff

edit: err you had to find the spells before you could use them in the skill tree, i think

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 21, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

wemgo posted:

Yeah, the snes one

gently caress yes they're getting more of my money

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Off topic I know but I'd really dig it if the Diablo I approach to arpg design would make a comeback. Feel like there's not a ton of stuff that is that close to the roguelike roots of the genre. Modern roguelike games have opted for arcade stylings with permadeath which is cool and all but a methodical dungeon dive that feels legit hostile would play well with modern sensibilities I think.

Unless this already exists and I don't know about it of course.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fear & Hunger aims for that oppressive descent into hell experience from the original Diablo and has a sizable cult following, although I've never played it myself. Not a huge fan of the artstyle but I see what it's going for.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Off topic I know but I'd really dig it if the Diablo I approach to arpg design would make a comeback. Feel like there's not a ton of stuff that is that close to the roguelike roots of the genre. Modern roguelike games have opted for arcade stylings with permadeath which is cool and all but a methodical dungeon dive that feels legit hostile would play well with modern sensibilities I think.

You're looking for retro style dungeon crawlers, like Vaporum or Legend of Grimrock. Maybe even a Dungeon of Dredmor, since roguelikes that are on the less difficult side of the scale tend to chill out and become good dungeon crawlers. Hard roguelikes are good dungeon crawlers but they're also crueler than an always online Diablo hardcore mode with a server crashing randomly every 2-15 minutes.

Fear and Hunger is an experience to be sure but it's pushed very far to the side of exploration, note keeping, preparation and cruel RNG. You can't level up to stat boost past power curves, for example. It's fascinating but also has giant pecker guards that rape you to death.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Shiren the wanderer is diablo 1 but turn-based and japanese

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The closest to Diablo 1 I played but modernized was Torchlight 1. If you go to older games you can get Nox or the very first Divinity game (both on GOG.com btw).

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
etrian odyssey remakes are out. Start with 3. 1 and 2 are kind of jank. The animals in etrian odyssey are cute but they are hostile murder machines

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

if someone tells you the path of exile campaign is better than anything at all, you know theyre hosed inthe head

Playing it possibly several times each league isn't so great, but the first time it's awesome. There's like 50 interesting boss fights for one thing. I am hosed in the head though.

I paid $0 for PoE and $0 for D4, and I still think the PoE campaign is overall higher quality, million dollar FMVs notwithstanding. The person asking was presumably thinking of paying $70 just to play the D4 campaign, which, I'm not sure if I can think of a worse use of $70 in gaming.

Ehud posted:

everyone says FF14's campaign is so good but all I remember is 37 hours of an anime girl saying "touch....feel......love" as I watched a crystal spin around

I don't remember that, but I do remember piloting the FF6 Magitech armor, and a villain with a dope gunblade.

And that's literally all I played of FFXIV, I did the campaign then peaced out and it was a blast.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Doomykins posted:

You're looking for retro style dungeon crawlers, like Vaporum or Legend of Grimrock. Maybe even a Dungeon of Dredmor, since roguelikes that are on the less difficult side of the scale tend to chill out and become good dungeon crawlers. Hard roguelikes are good dungeon crawlers but they're also crueler than an always online Diablo hardcore mode with a server crashing randomly every 2-15 minutes.

Fear and Hunger is an experience to be sure but it's pushed very far to the side of exploration, note keeping, preparation and cruel RNG. You can't level up to stat boost past power curves, for example. It's fascinating but also has giant pecker guards that rape you to death.

Oh drat now I'm reminded I gotta actually play Vaporum. Though I was thinking top down as opposed to first person and with less puzzle focus.

mbt posted:

Shiren the wanderer is diablo 1 but turn-based and japanese

I never really thought of it this way but you're right. What it lacks is the dark and threatening feel. I love the first and fifth installments in the series though.

Guillermus posted:

The closest to Diablo 1 I played but modernized was Torchlight 1. If you go to older games you can get Nox or the very first Divinity game (both on GOG.com btw).

I rarely pc game these days and have only played the modern Divinity games. Wish the original couple would get remastered and given controller support.