Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
In the event of a hull failure, is the whole thing getting squished like a pancake, or does the water just blast in through an opening and obliterate them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

In the event of a hull failure, is the whole thing getting squished like a pancake, or does the water just blast in through an opening and obliterate them?

Depends how deep the failure was.
1000 feet? It'd fill up with water.
Near the titanic? Pancake.
If it was just the view port that failed at that depth I think others have said it would enter the oxygen rich environment fast enough to ignite the cabin and not only kill them instantly but the water would mince them.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've just realised that since their control system is a mid-2000's 3rd-party game controller there's a non-zero chance they went wildly off-course because one of the analog sticks was drifting.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/business/status/1671240101463044096?s=46

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Fansy posted:

They've acclimated to the stench and lie mostly in silence. Their communication is a slow exchange of notes which sometimes threatens their careful, controlled breathing. Movement and speech are rationed, save for the deliberate, rhythmic banging one member is permitted to make every half hour, and despaired curses at Stockton.

:hmmyes: all perfectly lit. It seems likely the LEDs would be some sort of camping rechargeable affair, and those will easily outlast the air/water.

btw if the sub is somehow still intact this long, literally 100% that someone was murdered to conserve air.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

The pressure essentially crushes everything in 1/10th of a second. Sombody half blinked and everybody was jelly before he opened his eyes. Every air pocket like lungs or sinus was immediately annihilated

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

somebody posted studies of carbon fiber failures under compression in one of the threads on this and it just rips open when it fails. so some fissure opened up and instantly killed them probably

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Carbon fiber's failure modes depend on the layup method. If the carbon was laid up in a criss-cross-apple-sauce pattern it can be quite strong.

Favonius
Nov 28, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

somebody posted studies of carbon fiber failures under compression in one of the threads on this and it just rips open when it fails. so some fissure opened up and instantly killed them probably

this has got to be the best way to go in their situation, slowly dying of co2 poisoning or suffocation sounds way worse

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes: all perfectly lit. It seems likely the LEDs would be some sort of camping rechargeable affair, and those will easily outlast the air/water.

btw if the sub is somehow still intact this long, literally 100% that someone was murdered to conserve air.

would this save air?

my non expert thought is that without an immune system keeping all the micro mass in line, the micro biome would use more ox than resting calm humans.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Porque no los tres?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Is it possible in a year or two that some Mythbusters-style group will take a carbon fiber sub rigged for failure down to depth (or a simulated identical environment) and let it pop just so we can all visualize the tremendous forces at work in this disaster?

I think it would be in everyone's best interest:

1) The people who genuinely care about the victims will have peace of mind after seeing how quick and likely painless their deaths were
2) The rest of us irreverent classless heathens will get to marvel at how totally awesome the implosion was and see if it indeed burst into flames for a microsecond

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Favonius posted:

this has got to be the best way to go in their situation, slowly dying of co2 poisoning or suffocation sounds way worse

You’ve missed the bit where the billionaires fight to the death in the tiny tube to be the last one to inhale the sweet remaining oxygen

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

PhazonLink posted:

would this save air?

my non expert thought is that without an immune system keeping all the micro mass in line, the micro biome would use more ox than resting calm humans.

It'd save air but since by all accounts the Titan has no ability to vent externally the decomposing corpse smell would overwhelm the survivors pretty quickly.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hazo posted:

Is it possible in a year or two that some Mythbusters-style group will take a carbon fiber sub rigged for failure down to depth (or a simulated identical environment) and let it pop just so we can all visualize the tremendous forces at work in this disaster?

1) The people who genuinely care about the victims will have peace of mind after seeing how quick and likely painless their deaths were
2) The rest of us irreverent classless heathens will get to marvel at how totally awesome the implosion was and see if it indeed burst into flames for a microsecond

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

The irony of dying by fire while at the bottom of the ocean is just, I dunno.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What if they made it down there only for the ocean current to lodge their sub into the titanic wreckage.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Gullous posted:

Carbon fiber's failure modes depend on the layup method. If the carbon was laid up in a criss-cross-apple-sauce pattern it can be quite strong.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Holey Trinity

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Response to the stepson messaging the OnlyFans model on Twitter.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lost daddy, seeking mommy

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Vampire Panties posted:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to murder someone with a Madcatz controller?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Raiad posted:

that (37 y/o) child is hours away from becoming one of the richest people on earth lmao

He's the stepson--guessing the money would go to the wife first (although it would depend on the will, which I'm assuming exists).

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 21, 2023

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to murder someone with a Madcatz controller?

Murdered by stick drift(ing out into the deep sea).

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I've never heard either of the terms as a Brit and it's totally wild to me that they even exist so it's definitely some weird American poo poo.

What do you say? "Budge up yer eels" or something?

follow that camel!!
Jan 1, 2006

"Grandpappy always said this was a good spot" - crabs living around the titanic, probably.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Hazo posted:

Considering how badly they botched the "Suction" bit I doubt it.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Is it too late to buy a ticket?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

He's the stepson--guessing the money would go to the wife first (although it would depend on the will, which I'm assuming exists).

Yeah it will go to the wives (probably several) and biological children first. He will get money but he won’t be anywhere close to a billionaire

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Yeah it will go to the wives (probably several) and biological children first. He will get money but he won’t be anywhere close to a billionaire

yep, kid won't get anywhere close to his stepdad, gonna be at least 13,000 ft away

Death By SnuSnu
Jun 7, 2007
Compare your lives to mine and kill yourselves.

Gullous posted:

:lol:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The sticks normally pull right off and have keyed metal that could be used on some soft tissue. If you could sharpen it you probably have a decent improvised weapon.

Or maybe you just bludgeon them to death

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
Did people not see their "offices" are a ramshackle building with a few cargo containers?

There is no money.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Gullous posted:

I appreciate you

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

drunkb posted:

Is it too late to buy a ticket?

Can't buy them online anymore, but I hear you can still get tickets at the door.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

What do you say? "Budge up yer eels" or something?

"sit down and cross your legs" or "sit cross-legged" although at school if we were sitting on the floor in a group like for assembly or whatever that was just the assumption so it never had to be outright stated

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sit down ya c***s

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Gullous posted:

:discourse:

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Maybe if we're lucky it will be just small enough that he could blow it all on cocaine before he gets a chance to invest in something way worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
It pleases me to no end that those fuckers probably laughed at the 18 year old kid that jumped off the boat in the Bahamas as the stacked into a suicidal poop tube and became human pudding.

Best case scenario, the last one left huffed a bag of poo poo to buy an extra few seconds.