Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Eh, taking a card from my library wouldn't upset me. Now taking a land I already had in play, that would be an "I'm targeting you now" play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I just know the people I play with. Milling can make them focus on people. And then when they keep a 1 land hand and I start taking the ones “they would have drawn”, there will definitely be “revenge” spells thrown my way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a tension for building Lord of the Nazgul in that running the actual Nazgul would be helpful but that's 9 slots in a deck that wants to be slinging spells.

But if you just rely on the commander, you're putting a lot of eggs in that one basket. I guess I want a credible alternative way to win, and I don't want it to be Oracle/Consultation because that's boring as hell (and ideally I'd like this other win condition to not be cards that are just dead outside of their narrow combo.)

Any suggestions?

Mutavault as a backup wraith. Black Market Connections and Maskwood Nexus for changeling tokens. Maskwood has the advantage of making your creatures wraiths.

Tbh I would go full Talrand and spellsling aggressively and consider the 9/9 a nice bonus for a job well done, but you do you.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

checkplease posted:

New Lotr stuff: Galadriel of lothlorien seems like it can generate some value + landfall triggers. Not sure best way to win in u/g though. Craterhoof?

Frodo and Sam partners can have a silly food hulk pile with samewise gamgee, cauldron familiar, a sac outlet, and whatever you want for protection.

Sméagol sounds great, but then I realized everyone will hate me for stealing lands.

Wish one of the Eowyn was better as she’s a cool lady.

I think that the alt Commander pairing of Merry and Pippin do better on the food stuffs. I am curious about where that precon's Bilbo would fit in another Lifegain Abzan deck.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I guess pippin has a built in food overrun. Sam generates food automatically and has some shenanigans with ginger brute. Frodo doesn’t really have much going on…

With Bilbo I assume you basically have to go infinite life combo?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to make a budget Tom Bombadil deck, what would an actual Wincon be for Sagas? Have a power conduit out when Kiora Bests the Sea God hits the field and just stall while making an army of 8/8s? Repeatedly nuke everyone's landbase with Fall of the Thran until people give up?

Opalesence /star field of nyx works you can also use replenish and it’s clones

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
gonna poo poo if they ban bowmasters over the same 3-4 wincons everyone uses in high level edh.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Randalor posted:

If I wanted to make a budget Tom Bombadil deck, what would an actual Wincon be for Sagas?

Ob/All Will Be One. You'll have enough ways to tutor them, probably.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

checkplease posted:

New Lotr stuff: Galadriel of lothlorien seems like it can generate some value + landfall triggers. Not sure best way to win in u/g though. Craterhoof?

Idk about finishing, because it's only going to be viable at mid-tier tables, and you could probably just win with baloths at that rate, but i think the most important takeaway from Galadriel is that it's not worth jamming your deck with 1-off scry. If you aren't using a repeatable free trigger (Elrond, Jace's Sanctum, Retreat to Coralhelm), then you are just playing bad cards for a very mid effect. And each of those cards you are jamming leaves you less space for payoff or interaction.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Dizz posted:

gonna poo poo if they ban bowmasters over the same 3-4 wincons everyone uses in high level edh.

What does CEDH look like of they ban all alt wincons, just have to get everyone to 0 or mill them?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

disaster pastor posted:

Ob/All Will Be One. You'll have enough ways to tutor them, probably.

Yeah, All Will Be One seems fun in a sagas deck regardless, so throwing in Ob for the 2 card combo feels almost automatic. Though if your playgroup doesn’t love 2 card combos you could sub out Ob Nix for something else.

I might also suggest Historian’s Boon and Sigil of the Empty Throne to make a bunch of angels, and then include a Firja’s Retribution to give them all double strike on the third chapter. That seems like the other possible wincon.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TotalHell posted:

Sigil of the Empty Throne

sigil is cast, not constellation, so it won't actually proc off tom's sagascade :eng101:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Khanstant posted:

What does CEDH look like of they ban all alt wincons, just have to get everyone to 0 or mill them?

Yeah there are some pretty efficient/scary beatdowns you can do in cedh, which is kinda surprising for the combo format.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ban all cards that say "you win the game" and then ban all players who take winning actions and then...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Ban all cards that say "you win the game" and then ban all players who take winning actions and then...

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

checkplease posted:

With Bilbo I assume you basically have to go infinite life combo?

Possibly yeah, I would think something involving utilizing a lot of the little lifegain triggers that white and green have and using like Alhamaret's Archive.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Settle down, Sheldon.

E:

Still laugh every time I remember he went on Shuffle Up and Play and someone straight up told him that attacking is good for the game.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 22, 2023

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Mix. posted:

sigil is cast, not constellation, so it won't actually proc off tom's sagascade :eng101:

If you build the deck saga/enchantment heavy, you’ll be casting a lot of enchantments anyway. Like, you should still play a bunch of cast Enchantresses in this deck; Tom’s Saga ability is sort of a bonus.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"No, no, we won't ban problem cards, we'll just make cards to counter the problem cards!"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a tension for building Lord of the Nazgul in that running the actual Nazgul would be helpful but that's 9 slots in a deck that wants to be slinging spells.

But if you just rely on the commander, you're putting a lot of eggs in that one basket. I guess I want a credible alternative way to win, and I don't want it to be Oracle/Consultation because that's boring as hell (and ideally I'd like this other win condition to not be cards that are just dead outside of their narrow combo.)

Any suggestions?

Maybe run some various clones/shapeshifters to fill out the ranks. Spark Double and Irenicus's Vile Duplication can make you nonlegendary copies of your Commander for additional spellslinger triggers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fajita Queen posted:

Yeah there are some pretty efficient/scary beatdowns you can do in cedh, which is kinda surprising for the combo format.

If I see Winota drop another Blade Historian I will turn inside-out.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Khanstant posted:

The only alt wincon that really sees much play is Thassa's Oracle; far more common to assemble an infinite combo and win that way.

If you ban the Grixis shell of Dockside, Underworld Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Ad Naus, Tainted Pact, and Demonic Consultation, you probably end up closing out games with slightly more fragile 2 card combos like Prof. Onyx/Chain of Smog, Worldgorger Loops, or Heliod/Ballista, and infinite mana outlets that have to pause to cast Labman or Jace (i.e. Thrasios) before winning or have a built in use for the mana (Kennrith, Kinnan).

Blue Farm probably moves down a good ways, while Najeela and Tivit move up into its place. Malcom probably stays a winning partner, also. Winota is sad to lose Dockside, but otherwise not very effected.

That said, since we just saw Dockside reprinted in Double Masters, and we'll likely see it in Commander Masters, there's a snowball's chance in hell it catches a ban. Given Sheldon's level of oppositional defiance disorder when it comes to even considering balancing the format for cEDH playstyles (i.e. the level of whining that came along with the Flash ban), I'm sure we'd see Bowmasters or Bats banned before Dockside

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Thanks for the rundown! I wasn't sure if the thoracle combo and friends were some big floodgate holding back a bunch of potential deck diversity or something like that.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Legalize Flash Hulk

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Khanstant posted:

Thanks for the rundown! I wasn't sure if the thoracle combo and friends were some big floodgate holding back a bunch of potential deck diversity or something like that.

They definitely are. Every other combo is harder to assemble, more interactable, or costs more mana.

Half the thoracle combo is tutors, the other half gives access color identity wise to all the free counterspells. There are najeela shells that run thoracle just because.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think, honestly, you could get away with banning Oracle, Breach, and Dockside. Would it fix everything? No. Would it fix a lot of things? Yes. Dockside may be the mozt degenerate of the bunch, but making Thoracle decks need 1more mana and 1 more draw (and have slightly less protection, in the case of Revival), puts the whole format on a more reasonable footing. I was looking at the top 20 decks on edhtop16 and it seemed like, at this point there were more Dockside combo decks than Thoracle decks. People just figuring out that you can Emiel/Kitten Dockside and go nuts. For good measure, I'd also hit Timetwister because it's $3000 and gives some of the best decks a level of resilience they don't deserve.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there anything approaching a consensus on what the strongest decks have been outside the cedh sphere? Like at that point it becomes a lot of subjective stuff I guess, but let's just say decks without expensive fast mana and singleminded pursuit of combo wins.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there anything approaching a consensus on what the strongest decks have been outside the cedh sphere? Like at that point it becomes a lot of subjective stuff I guess, but let's just say decks without expensive fast mana and singleminded pursuit of combo wins.

Sorry, you want them without both fast mana and combo wins, or without fast mana but combo wins?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Without both. Not even necessarily no combo wins, but let's say not leaning on public enemies like Dockside and Thoracle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Without both. Not even necessarily no combo wins, but let's say not leaning on public enemies like Dockside and Thoracle.

Honestly this is kind of a meaningless question. You’re making some arbitrary distinction between cEDH and high and then saying what’s the best non cEDH deck based on these arbitrary criteria.

Is taking turns combo if it’s not infinite?
Is extra combats?

If so it’s probably in one of those 2 concepts.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What is no fast mana like having bad lands because you won't proxy? No deck should languish without true duals.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

What is no fast mana like having bad lands because you won't proxy? No deck should languish without true duals.

No mana positive ramp: Sol Ring, Crypt, Vault, Jeweled Lotus, Ancient Tomb, etc

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Honestly this is kind of a meaningless question. You’re making some arbitrary distinction between cEDH and high and then saying what’s the best non cEDH deck based on these arbitrary criteria.

I agree that the distinction is really subjective and so we're not really getting any kind of hard, actionable results here. But I don't think the question is "meaningless." We all have some kind of idea of what the format plays like at non-CEDH settings, and sure that's going to vary from person to person. But who cares? I just want to know what people think does exceptionally well outside that setting. If your standards are different than mine, that's fine. I'm not asking for science. Just poo poo to talk about.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Best deck (without access to Thoracle, Breach, Dockside, or fast mana) is probably something with the fewest moving pieces, one of them in the command zone, and the other easily searchable in the commander's colors. The less mana needed to go off in a single turn the better.

Kinnan probably gets better in a field like that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I recently posted a budget Birgi list and you could simply drop Sol Ring and Breach and it would be 95% effective, so there's not really any major thought exercise here. https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3HgUk7CuTkCi-kSkQ4qu0Q

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I agree that the distinction is really subjective and so we're not really getting any kind of hard, actionable results here. But I don't think the question is "meaningless." We all have some kind of idea of what the format plays like at non-CEDH settings, and sure that's going to vary from person to person. But who cares? I just want to know what people think does exceptionally well outside that setting. If your standards are different than mine, that's fine. I'm not asking for science. Just poo poo to talk about.

I feel like "fast mana" is a bit too vague to really dive into your question

Like, if you could be a little more specific with that it'd make it a better conversation. Like, do you count bond lands as fast? Pain lands? Is Urborg a fast land?

Outside of the man's I think I'd agree with Batterypowered7, multiple combats/turns is just insanely powerful.

Although one time I had to burn an extra turn just to fuckin scramble to make up for my missed land drops previously, so who's to say... :ghost:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
As a more complete analysis, I pulled up the lists for the top 20 decks on edhtop16 (although the winrate starts to fall off badly after the top 12 or so):
1 Tana, the Bloodsower / Tymna the Weaver - WBRG - Docksideͤ
2 Sisay, Weatherlight Captain - WUBRG - Docksideͤ
3 Kraum, Ludevic's Opus / Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools - UBR - Docksideͩ/Thoracle/Breach
4 Tivit, Seller of Secrets - WUB - Thoracle
5 Tayam, Luminous Enigma - WBG - ???
6 Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh / Silas Renn, Seeker Adept - UBR - Dockside/Thoracle/Breach
7 Dargo, the Shipwrecker / Thrasios, Triton Hero - URG - Docksideͩ/Breach
8 Najeela, the Blade-Blossom 26 116 22.41% - WUBRG - Dockside/Thoracle/Breach
9 Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator / Tana, the Bloodsower - URG - Dockside
10 Niv-Mizzet, Parun - UR - Dockside
11 Atraxa, Grand Unifier - WUBG - Thoracle
12 Kraum, Ludevic's Opus / Tymna the Weaver - WUBR - Dockside/Thoracle/Breach
13 Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder / Thrasios, Triton Hero - WURG - Dockside
14 Kenrith, the Returned King - WUBRG - Docksideͩͤ/Thoracle/Breach
15 Rocco, Cabaretti Caterer - WRG - Docksideͤ
16 Jeska, Thrice Reborn / Tymna the Weaver - WBR - Dockside/Breach
17 Inalla, Archmage Ritualist - UBR - Dockside/Thoracle/Breach
18 Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator / Tymna the Weaver - WUB - Thoracle
19 Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy - UG - ???
20 Krark, the Thumbless / Sakashima of a Thousand Faces - UR - Dockside/Breach

The Docksides marked with ͩ or ͤ are for comboing with Displacer Kitten or Emriel, respectively, which is very much The Thing You Do in those colors. The ubiquity and the fact that it's generally no longer about playing a "fair" Dockside, and more about keeping your opponent off one and recurring yours with Kitten/Emriel/Breach/Felidar/Saheeli/Aminatou/etc. makes this the same situation that PrimeTime was in, except Dockside is an actual good card and actually approaching $100, so Sheldon can gently caress right off with his whataboutism, because it's literally everywhere and breaking the format.

If you ban Dockside/Breach/Thoracle, which ARE NOT used fairly in casual games at any point, then you are making the whole of the format better, as clearly demonstrated above. If Kinnan/Tayam start dominating because there's no competition, then you deal with those 2 decks then, but ffs why wouldn't you deal with the 3 major elephants in the room, right now, or better yet, a year ago when this was all extremely obvious?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Feel like Winota with no fast mana would still be insanely strong

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

5 Tayam, Luminous Enigma - WBG - ???

It's a Devoted Druid/graveyard recursion deck that can also win with Chain of Smog/Witherbloom Apprentice or Squirrelcraft. Apparently it's pretty consistent.

The combo's got a lot of pieces and that's part of why it does well, because it's hard to tell what the gently caress it's doing a lot of the time.

quote:

20 Krark, the Thumbless / Sakashima of a Thousand Faces - UR - Dockside/Breach

Krark'd be still a fine deck if you took Dockside and Breach out tbh. A lot of the wins come from making a ton of clones and winning because your chances of fizzling become exponentially smaller with each clone. Breach is just a backup plan. I don't think it's even in Ken's primer right now.

EDIT: Looks like he put it back in. For a while he was off it.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Feel like Winota with no fast mana would still be insanely strong

I feel like it'd be a lot slower and have a much harder time rebounding after being blown out, but still probably quite (maybe too) good for high power.