Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
on the one hand I'm very tired of remakes but on the other smrpg is one of my favorite snes games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mario, isn't that the guy who jumps around? you are telling me this dude can level up?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Araxxor posted:

Perfect guards are still in. Seems their solution to this was to add a timing indicator telling you when to press the button.

I thought it was just a damage reduction guard, it had perfect guards too? I always assumed that was a Paper Mario original.

I appreciate that it's gonna tell you that some attacks are unblockable so don't even bother trying.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

I thought it was just a damage reduction guard, it had perfect guards too? I always assumed that was a Paper Mario original.

I appreciate that it's gonna tell you that some attacks are unblockable so don't even bother trying.

The timing is a lot stricter. It's like 5 to 7 frames typically. Where an imperfect guard halves damage and typically lasts like 30 to 40 frames or so.

The same applies with attacking. Most perfect hits grant 50% more damage, but have like 5 to 7 frame timing windows where imperfects are typically 25% more damage and have way bigger timing windows.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

mario, isn't that the guy who jumps around? you are telling me this dude can level up?

we all can level up, if we just believe in ourselves

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Very excited for smrpg, I still remember a couple of hidden chests. I wonder how they'll do the mine level.

Music is gonna own

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Here comes Mister Enemy~

Star Ocean 2 really needs more polish. It was good for a Playstation 1 game but it has NOT aged well.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

You fight him with the same sprite and music as the original.

...then, once you beat him, he bursts into a new, HD2D form and the PR arrangement of his them starts blasting.

:hai:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
star ocean 3 was one of the most regrettable games I ever sank 100 hours in so I’m interested in a modernized version of The Only Good One

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
but 3 is the good one???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

star ocean 3 was one of the most regrettable games I ever sank 100 hours in so I’m interested in a modernized version of The Only Good One

I feel like it's worth mentioning that "The Only Good One" requires a fair dose of nostalgia these days. Hopefully the remake will smooth it out enough to be genuinely enjoyable rather than "This was the absolute best when you were 12 years old and had infinite time to make your characters write books."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think it'd be funny if they put the revolving polygons item creation animation back in and made it unskippable

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Scoss posted:

The Star Ocean remake looks great.

I had SO2 on the PSX but I never managed to get all the way through it. I remember the skill system in that game being really crazy and letting you sort of break the game in fun ways? In my memory you could play instruments to summon monsters and get hyper rich or something? A good choice for a remake anyway, some QoL stuff to smooth over the oldschool jank will do some heavy lifting.

I've beaten SO2 and killed half the superbosses, the systems in that game were stupid and great. Off the top of my head, the way it worked was that you could unlock 50 skills or so, which all gave small stat bonuses as you levelled them and certain skill combinations would unlock Specialties like Music and Cooking and Alchemy or w/e and the results from each Specialty would depend on what your using and your level in that Specialty or what character you're doing it with. And to unlock new skills or raise the skill caps you have to buy skill books from certain cities so walkthroughs might recommend sneaking ahead in the story to get certain skills so you can learn the flute early or w/e.

And specialties won't work if your character doesn't have the right talents, which are determined when you get that character. You have have maximum ranks in music and you'll still play like poo poo if you don't have a sense of rhythm. But specialties have a miniscule chance of unlocking that talent on a character if they're compatible (some characters absolutely can't get certain talents, like Ashton never gets a sense of design and his jewelry is always tacky) and unlocking a talent gets you a shitton of skill points so the really crazy players will minmax party members to start with as few talents as possible for better skill gains down the line.
For the monster summoning thing, I think the way it works is that you go to the secret dungeon and kill the superboss, and the superboss drops the Silver Trumpet, and if you play the Silver Trumpet (assuming you have a party member who can play trumpet) monsters come out, and if you have Max ranks in music the monster that comes out is the second, stronger superboss.
Pickpocketing gives you a low, one-time chance to steal an item from nearly every single NPC in the game, and every time your party members see you do it they hate you a little more and all your relationships go down. So you have to split the party the first time you enter a city, rob everyone blind, and then reconvene. 90 percent of the time you get, like, six dollars and a crumpled paper. Sometimes you get the second best armour in the game, or a unique accessory that just spits out free items every ten minutes.
I love this stupid game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like it's worth mentioning that "The Only Good One" requires a fair dose of nostalgia these days. ."

Boy does it ever

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Personally I can't wait to replay the excruciatingly long story dump of how the meteor landed on Expel an hour into the game

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
I feel like the only person excited for an actual Dragon Quest Monsters game in the west. The last time we got one was Joker 2 on the DS.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

there is no good star ocean

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

there is no good star ocean

I like First Departure and 2, but I have brain problems.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Televisio Frankus posted:

I feel like the only person excited for an actual Dragon Quest Monsters game in the west. The last time we got one was Joker 2 on the DS.

Nope, I love the Monsters sub series and I was super psyched about the new one.

Joker 3 and the remake of Terry's Wonderland have some solid fan translations that I can recommend if you want to play some of the 3DS ones too to tide you over.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK i am about done with all the demos I was interested in this nextfest, last few things don't fit the thread.
Cyber Knights by the Trese Brothers of Star Traders Frontiers. More on the xcom side of things in style but also has a bit of an invisible inc vibe in that its focusing on heists. If you are familiar with Star Traders the story has a similar freeform vibe, your crew aren't really unique characters but they still hop in to say stuff during cutscenes depending on what their role is, and there are different backgrounds for your crew and the team as a whole to shake things up.

Like all Trese Brothers stuff, its pretty clunky, but has a lot of indie charm and ambition.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Televisio Frankus posted:

Thank you for posting cause I hadn't heard about it and now I'm super excited.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm that guy that adored the GBC Dragon Warrior Monsters games, but hates the Joker games. They stripped too much out of the games, and the poo poo-tier Nintendo Handheld Polygons™ are an eyesore compared to the GBC sprites.

Also, having grown up playing DWM, but not any mainline Dragon Warrior games, the mistranslated monster and attack names from the GBC games are way more charming to me.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

star ocean 2 is one of the best games of all time. remake looks real unappealing but the ps1 version is easily available so shrug

edit: psa play pal not ntsc-u. it's one of the pal games that was converted to run at a proper speed and also they added item creation speedup and fixed some freeze bugs. if you can read japanese the greatest hits/ps1 books re-release also has all that stuff

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 22, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Star Ocean 2 Remake Remake is great to exist. I'm glad the best possible version of that game is coming out so that people can have the best time realizing that at it's peak SO as a franchise is less than mid.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Star Ocean 2 Remake Remake is great to exist. I'm glad the best possible version of that game is coming out so that people can have the best time realizing that at it's peak SO as a franchise is less than mid.

Y'know, I agree with you a lot of the time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's OK. I'll still play that garbage.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like im the only one that played star ocean 6.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I feel like im the only one that played star ocean 6.

I played it, I just thought it was bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm going to play Star Ocean 6

E: I bet I will think its alright.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really liked Star Ocean 6 :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unfortunately FFXVI comes out today so once again I will need to delay playing Star Ocean

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's OK. I'll still play that garbage.

yep, if it's so bad why do I like it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
SO6 is good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I wouldn't go that far, but it was less bad anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SO6 didn't really do enough in either direction except maybe the lovely battle camera. It just was. It was a game that existed. I beat the entire thing, did the bonus content, and can't remember a single thing about it besides awkward flying around and Covid Is Real You Shitheads.

However Covid Is Real, You Shitheads inherently made it a better game than SO5.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

did the character faces look better in practice than they did in the trailers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

did the character faces look better in practice than they did in the trailers

Oh god no. Tri-Ace is determined to combine the worst aspects of anime and realistic styling to capture the benefits of neither.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YggiDee posted:

I've beaten SO2 and killed half the superbosses, the systems in that game were stupid and great. Off the top of my head, the way it worked was that you could unlock 50 skills or so, which all gave small stat bonuses as you levelled them and certain skill combinations would unlock Specialties like Music and Cooking and Alchemy or w/e and the results from each Specialty would depend on what your using and your level in that Specialty or what character you're doing it with. And to unlock new skills or raise the skill caps you have to buy skill books from certain cities so walkthroughs might recommend sneaking ahead in the story to get certain skills so you can learn the flute early or w/e.

And specialties won't work if your character doesn't have the right talents, which are determined when you get that character. You have have maximum ranks in music and you'll still play like poo poo if you don't have a sense of rhythm. But specialties have a miniscule chance of unlocking that talent on a character if they're compatible (some characters absolutely can't get certain talents, like Ashton never gets a sense of design and his jewelry is always tacky) and unlocking a talent gets you a shitton of skill points so the really crazy players will minmax party members to start with as few talents as possible for better skill gains down the line.
For the monster summoning thing, I think the way it works is that you go to the secret dungeon and kill the superboss, and the superboss drops the Silver Trumpet, and if you play the Silver Trumpet (assuming you have a party member who can play trumpet) monsters come out, and if you have Max ranks in music the monster that comes out is the second, stronger superboss.
Pickpocketing gives you a low, one-time chance to steal an item from nearly every single NPC in the game, and every time your party members see you do it they hate you a little more and all your relationships go down. So you have to split the party the first time you enter a city, rob everyone blind, and then reconvene. 90 percent of the time you get, like, six dollars and a crumpled paper. Sometimes you get the second best armour in the game, or a unique accessory that just spits out free items every ten minutes.
I love this stupid game.

I can't wait to grind up enough levels to get pickpocket high enough to steal that accessory from the lady in the early game.

:yeah:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't wait to grind up enough levels to get pickpocket high enough to steal that accessory from the lady in the early game.

:yeah:
Don't forget the box from some guy in town like 3 which has a chance to spit out something which is like, step one of building one of Crawd (Has Advanced Forward)'s best swords

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah the way to break SO2 is to learn pickpocketing ASAP, and go to a town before a certain event happens and split up from the rest of the party for some solo time for character events, etc. and steal this one accessory that causes random items to show up in your inventory from just walking around. One of those items is something that will instantly give you enough exp to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Having a hard time putting my finger on it, but when the characters talk in the SO2 clip it just loops extremely bad and out of place.