Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Verman posted:

Shut the gently caress up.

How much?

I dunno. Just PM me an offer if interested and we can talk about it. But let's say cheap enough you can afford to buy it from me and relist it on reberb and make a tidy profit if you're into that. The only problem I see with it is shipping. And I can deliver within a say, 200 mile radius but only if I don't have to drive 95 through Philly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

petit choux posted:

I dunno. Just PM me an offer if interested and we can talk about it. But let's say cheap enough you can afford to buy it from me and relist it on reberb and make a tidy profit if you're into that. The only problem I see with it is shipping. And I can deliver within a say, 200 mile radius but only if I don't have to drive 95 through Philly.

Oh sorry, not interested in buying, that's just an incredible find/deal. I never suspect thrift stores from having any electronics besides terrible cheap 80s junk. Man, awesome find.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Verman posted:

Oh sorry, not interested in buying, that's just an incredible find/deal. I never suspect thrift stores from having any electronics besides terrible cheap 80s junk. Man, awesome find.

It really is and it looks like a really classy bass amp. I'm seeing there's an emulator for this one you can buy, makes me suspect it has some fans out there. And I'm seeing that it's seldom sold for less than 1,000 on ebay.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

petit choux posted:

It really is and it looks like a really classy bass amp. I'm seeing there's an emulator for this one you can buy, makes me suspect it has some fans out there. And I'm seeing that it's seldom sold for less than 1,000 on ebay.

Nice!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I imagine your bass player is already all set up though, right?

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

He’s got a little guy, a Hartke of some sort. I usually just mic it into the pa

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I’ll ask him tomorrow though if I remember

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I see that some people sell the head by itself without the cabinet, I'd be willing to do that if it brings the cost down. The cab has a detachable dolly for rolling it around!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, you probably dont want to alternate pick by moving your whole forearm. Its pretty inefficient. Seat your forearm on the guitar body above and behind the bridge a bit and concentrate on a relaxed movement of the wrist, brushing across the string with the tip of the pick. Start by practicing slow, maybe by running pentatonic scales or something, and gradually speed up as it becomes more comfortable. The most important thing is to keep it relaxed and try to avoid tensing up. Practice with a metronome if you can. It will become natural pretty quickly.

Okay, I think the keyword here is “brushing”, cause thinking of it like brushing across the neck makes a lot more sense. But I’m not used to it and my shoulder/back muscles are getting tired :sweatdrop: I think this is enough to work on, thanks!

Actually I’ve got another question. If you’re supposed to always be moving instead of only moving on the beats to play, how do you consistently play when you want to and vice versa? I keep catching stray strings and missing the ones I want.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Will someone with neural dsp Gojira do me a favor? Load it up, in your DAW with a track armed like normal, on it's default setting. Without your guitar/cable plugged in, and I guess your interface just set on your normal input(mine is on like 25%) what amount of basic always there noise are you getting? Mine is at like -38db and I feel like maybe that's too much but I'm not sure.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Will someone with neural dsp Gojira do me a favor? Load it up, in your DAW with a track armed like normal, on it's default setting. Without your guitar/cable plugged in, and I guess your interface just set on your normal input(mine is on like 25%) what amount of basic always there noise are you getting? Mine is at like -38db and I feel like maybe that's too much but I'm not sure.

About the same here. I have to crank up the noise gate on that default setting. It's not a particularly good jumping-in point for that plugin

The dad rock preset rips though

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

literally one of the top 3 bass amps of all time. what a score. god drat a b15 from a thrift store.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

About the same here. I have to crank up the noise gate on that default setting. It's not a particularly good jumping-in point for that plugin

The dad rock preset rips though

Nah, I just said to use default just to make it less complicated, I just wanted to see if my PC was generating a higher noise floor than normal when using plug ins.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I think the keyword here is “brushing”, cause thinking of it like brushing across the neck makes a lot more sense. But I’m not used to it and my shoulder/back muscles are getting tired :sweatdrop: I think this is enough to work on, thanks!

Actually I’ve got another question. If you’re supposed to always be moving instead of only moving on the beats to play, how do you consistently play when you want to and vice versa? I keep catching stray strings and missing the ones I want.

Muting and practice basically!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

literally one of the top 3 bass amps of all time. what a score. god drat a b15 from a thrift store.

Oh is it? It's in remarkably good condition too, this is great news. Well Imma put it up at the gear swap thread probably.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Armacham posted:

Muting and practice basically!

Pretty much. You learn to keep the pick moving in constant rhythm and hit or miss strings as needed with minuscule adjustments in altitude, if that makes any sense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

petit choux posted:

Oh is it? It's in remarkably good condition too, this is great news. Well Imma put it up at the gear swap thread probably.

personally I'd buy a sick bass to go with it and become a bassist if I ended up with a score like that

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, I'd keep that no question but if ya gotta eat ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

(Don't sell it)

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

On the total default setting the noise gate is at -80 and all the noise is gated for me. If I turn the gate off it's almost exactly at -38db like you describe. So I don't think there's anything wrong for you.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you have a nice guitar shop nearby, especially one that specializes in premium/vintage gear, see what they'll give you in trade for something of more use to you. No doubt they'll offer you a low-ball if you just want cash in hand, but if they have something you're interested in they might give you more value in trade.

Everybody is right, that's a legendary amp and it would be hard for me to part with, and I barely play bass but it makes sense to leverage it to get something you could use.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

They go for like $2000 on Reverb but it'd be worth more to me than that unless I had pressing financial concerns.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Verman posted:

If you have a nice guitar shop nearby, especially one that specializes in premium/vintage gear, see what they'll give you in trade for something of more use to you. No doubt they'll offer you a low-ball if you just want cash in hand, but if they have something you're interested in they might give you more value in trade.

Everybody is right, that's a legendary amp and it would be hard for me to part with, and I barely play bass but it makes sense to leverage it to get something you could use.

Well this is really awesome, it's not every day this kind of thing drops in my lap. I'll probably do that, there's a couple decent guitar shops here in town. Lot of options. Tell you what, since you all have given me so much great advice I'll try taking a couple more pics. BRB

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I don't often have anything to show off ITT so here goes. And besides, it's so purdy.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

honestly if you use it as a guitar amp it might be pretty similar to an Orange OR-120 Graphic Mk II given that they both have beefy low-end due to bypass caps and coupling caps. I would try running a guitar into a fuzz into that thing. It will probably sound amazing. Also you can jump the channels for more gain.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

petit choux posted:

I don't often have anything to show off ITT so here goes. And besides, it's so purdy.

drat if you were near me I'd be hella tempted to try to take it off your hands. At least I'm assuming you're not in Southern Arizona.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

shove the bleep bloops through it :sickos:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just chiming in: That amp is a loving beast and you're very lucky. Hopefully, should you part with it, it will end up in the right place. Cheers!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

hot date tonight! posted:

On the total default setting the noise gate is at -80 and all the noise is gated for me. If I turn the gate off it's almost exactly at -38db like you describe. So I don't think there's anything wrong for you.

Ah, I was just curious. I was having a bad tone day yesterday. For some weird reason, maybe because Scarletts are known to be too hot, my interface never sounds quite as good with the INST turned on. I know with active pickups, it doesn't need it, but even my passive pickup guitars, it sounds best without it(adjusting the gain accordingly).

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I hate bad tone days

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Harton posted:

I hate bad tone days

more like poopin' beefers amirite

I'll take some more pics of that thing in a bit. The wife wants me to get cash for it and put it toward redoing the kitchen. but still if somebody were to offer me something worth a grand to me in equipment I'd def consider it. Poster brought up the issue that it really should be somebody who can pick it up or something, I'm also concerned that I should tithe part of it to the store I got it from just to be nice.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Lol

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah dude sell it and make the wife happy. Local for sure, don’t wanna ship that

mewse
May 2, 2006

I just installed alnico 5 pickups in my squier strat - is middle pickup supposed to be eerily quiet vs neck and bridge or did i mess up my soldering? Switch positions 2 and 4 seem to eliminate hum which suggests to me that nothing is wrong. I guess i could measure resistances

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I just got my first strat and can I ask why the gently caress the volume knob is where it is

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Armacham posted:

I just got my first strat and can I ask why the gently caress the volume knob is where it is

I think it came up recently that if you change any part of it a cabal of blues lawyers will come after you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I think it came up recently that if you change any part of it a cabal of blues lawyers will come after you.

*the theme from Jaws plays, but as a lovely 12 bar blues jam

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Elissimpark posted:

*the theme from Jaws plays, but as a lovely 12 bar blues jam

they can't conceive of the jaws theme, because the major 7th/minor 2nd isnt in the pentatonic scale

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

they can't conceive of the jaws theme, because the major 7th/minor 2nd isnt in the pentatonic scale

lol. pretty good

jaws theme but it’s minor 3rds increasing in tempo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

landgrabber posted:

They just use 1. pos. minor pentatonic instead:

e----------------------------------------------------------
b----------------------------------------------------------
g----------------------------------------------------------
d----------------------------------------------------------
a----------------------------------------------------------
e--5---8---5---8---5-8-5-8-5-5858585858