Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

If there's any CGI industry goons here, I'd genuinely love them to explain what's going on with the Flash. Something about every big effects shot from it that I've seen has been...off. Don't know how to explain it but it's off. like, not just in the sense of it not looking realistic, but looking straight up at odds with reality. It's a shame that it isn't being used to depict 'non-euclidean geometry' because if it was intentional, it's use of perspective and motion would be unsettling in a cool way instead of leaving you wondering what kind of hellish production process it had.

The horizon is in the middle of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POgWODZyUGQ&t=203s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They're desperately cargo culting the MCU down to loving around with the movie so close to release there's no time to polish the CGI at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

When The Flash drops onto VOD, I'm going to host a discord stream to showcase the proverbial nail in the coffin for WB's (not Snyder's) DCEU vision so that we can all laugh at how stupid the whole thing is.

teagone fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 20, 2023

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

When The Flash drops onto VOD, I'm going to host a discord stream to showcase the proverbial nail in the coffin for WB's (not Snyder's) DCEU vision so that we can all laugh at how stupid the whole thing is.

Sounds great!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

You seriously have no idea how true this is. This movie is abominable imo. And I was prepared ahead of time for the hosed up cameos of huge megaspoilers I guess George Reeves and Christopher Reeve but I wasn't prepared for the even more insulting pointlessness of them. Like if that's the case then why even include them other than to be ghoulish.

Like it starts out laughably stupid and then it keeps, like, getting worse and worse, by the halfway point it feels like it's been two hours which is bad for a movie called The Flash lol

Also there's at least one character who's likeness they put in without even informing the actor, what the gently caress is that poo poo?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 20, 2023

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Yes. YES!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Snowman_McK posted:

If there's any CGI industry goons here, I'd genuinely love them to explain what's going on with the Flash. Something about every big effects shot from it that I've seen has been...off. Don't know how to explain it but it's off. like, not just in the sense of it not looking realistic, but looking straight up at odds with reality. It's a shame that it isn't being used to depict 'non-euclidean geometry' because if it was intentional, it's use of perspective and motion would be unsettling in a cool way instead of leaving you wondering what kind of hellish production process it had.

We had a VFX goonster in another thread tell us that what's happened: Disney needing 2.5k effects shots per movie distorted the entire industry into an international churn and burn model, so now they're grabbing anyone and everyone overseas and working them until the quit. The entire industry is now "beginners trying their best", which is why stuff looks demonstrably worse than 10 years ago.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

We had a VFX goonster in another thread tell us that what's happened: Disney needing 2.5k effects shots per movie distorted the entire industry into an international churn and burn model, so now they're grabbing anyone and everyone overseas and working them until the quit. The entire industry is now "beginners trying their best", which is why stuff looks demonstrably worse than 10 years ago.

Someone here or a similar thread mentioned the name of the phenomenon in which all experienced workers are gone within a relatively short time without training new people so the new people have to figure out problems that were already solved. I can't find it and my Googlin is weak.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Grendels Dad posted:

Someone here or a similar thread mentioned the name of the phenomenon in which all experienced workers are gone within a relatively short time without training new people so the new people have to figure out problems that were already solved. I can't find it and my Googlin is weak.

It makes Everything Everywhere All At Once even more impressive to me because weren't the effects in that notably done by beginners teaching themselves as they went along?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

It makes Everything Everywhere All At Once even more impressive to me because weren't the effects in that notably done by beginners teaching themselves as they went along?

A key point is probably that they were actually given the time and budget to get it right and polish it, rather than being micromanaged and abused start to finish with so much of their effort going entirely to waste.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Same thing is happening in the video game industry which is why every AAA game also comes with a developers apology.jpeg

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

weekly font posted:

Same thing is happening in the video game industry which is why every AAA game also comes with a developers apology.jpeg

So far Diablo 4 hasn't had to have one *knocks on wood*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
EA/Blizzard is big enough to be the one sucking all the air out of the room rather than one of the developers suffering from it the most, unfortunately

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

weekly font posted:

The gollum apology is so loving funny

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I got Jedi Survivor for free, and it ran so incredibly badly on my PC that it basically put me off buying EA games forever. If I had actually PAID for that I would have been livid.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Neo Rasa posted:

As I understand it, most of the effects in that movie were done through After Effects, using complex compositing and other (comparatively) lo-fi trickery, rather than rendered 3D models/environments like a studio tentpole. It also looks like A LOT of the effects shots for EEAAO were, in part, conceived practically: lighting and costume changes on set, roto'ed shot transitions, tracked split screens and stuff. So, it may never have had to enter the gauntlet of VFX grind to begin with.

Rightly or wrongly, it seems to me that - in addition to turning over 1000+ VFX shots - these movies make as few choices on set as possible. I'd be surprised if they knew what Flash's suit was going to look like when they wrapped. What...anything was supposed to look like in Ant Man: Quantumania. Better to drop the entire burden of your movie's aesthetic style onto a team of underpaid VFX artists who are inches from total breakdown, and give them less than half the time they'd need to make any of it look right.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Reminder that they basically did all the VFX on ZSJL in about 6 months and it still looks great because Zack knows how to lead a team

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

I more meant the specific technical issues that lead the Flash to look like that. I absolutely understand the large scale problem that the industry is having but I know gently caress all about the minutae of CGI and would love someone more knowledgable to explain it.

Grendels Dad posted:

It was me. The term is 'institutional amnesia' coined by Australian columnist Laura Tingle, who used to go out with Sam Neil. That last part isn't really relevant but it is how my parents ended up meeting Sam Neil.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The biggest issue on Flash visually, shared with JL2017 and WW84, is that the saturation is super high to try and make it look warm and welcoming. It makes things that look normal seem otherworldly and things that look a bit off seem ridiculous.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
looking back at attack of the clones and tweaking the dial that says 'overworking vfx artists' like the price is right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Going back a bit, also wanted to bring up that the main thesis of The Lego Batman Movie is that Batman has massive problems with intimacy and emotional expression because love and tragedy are inextricably linked for him. Which isn't exactly an uncommon theme- look at so much art, music and stories on those themes- but it's fundamental to who he is, and he's never really able to feel safe or secure because he knows all too well that tragedy can strike anywhere at any time.

The whole part where he's shooing his allies away isn't just him being a jerk again, it's pretty much framed as him having a full on PTSD episode.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole part where he's shooing his allies away isn't just him being a jerk again, it's pretty much framed as him having a full on PTSD episode.
Yep, that whole bit is great. He's trying to make it about their safety but he just doesnt want to face the possibility of their loss.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Yep, that whole bit is great. He's trying to make it about their safety but he just doesnt want to face the possibility of their loss.

And it's hard to blame him or at least get mad because he's explicitly feeling like he's about to recreate the worst thing that ever happened to him.

Given the whole framing device I do wonder if the kid has a surprisingly in depth understanding of trauma. Then again, coping with trauma is all the rage for kids cartoons these days. Batman was just ahead of the curve.

Actually I think that kinda sums up why Batman has such appeal across such a range; he's serious and absurd, childish and cynical, hypercompetent and vulnerable. Everything he does takes on a new meaning because it's him doing it, and there's weirdly relatable things about him despite how outlandish and exceptional he always is.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

josh04 posted:

The biggest issue on Flash visually, shared with JL2017 and WW84, is that the saturation is super high to try and make it look warm and welcoming. It makes things that look normal seem otherworldly and things that look a bit off seem ridiculous.

And things that are really off look like goddamn X-Men Origins Wolverine-level previz/temp effects.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I got Jedi Survivor for free, and it ran so incredibly badly on my PC that it basically put me off buying EA games forever. If I had actually PAID for that I would have been livid.

This year has been remarkable for major video games releasing unfinished. Redfall in particular doesn't even look like it has real gameplay, it needed at least 6-12 months' more work.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arkane actually begged Bethesda to cancel Redfall but they insisted on Arkane of all studios to make a Borderlands clone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Arkane actually begged Bethesda to cancel Redfall but they insisted on Arkane of all studios to make a Borderlands clone.

Probably because it's one of the only three games that the western AAA sector even knows how to make anymore. They turned freakin Harry Potter into a Far Cry clone.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean, Jedi Survivor is really interesting to me, because it has great graphics, they really did a good story, it's a worthy successor to the Dark Forced/Jedi Knight series (you even get a blaster to use with your lightsaber, if you want!)

But despite the fact that's it's a single player game with no DLC they have this little dopamine drip collectibles system with 3 different resources and different shops to spend them for different cosmetics, like it's some kind of free-to-play nightmare.

It really is weird how AAA devs are total cargo cult now, they're unable to stop themselves from putting poo poo from other games into their own titles, and now AAA gaming has become synonymous with Ubisoft's open-world slop trough. Very sad.

Indie gaming is also doing the same thing - their production value is either pixel art or Double Fine Lite and they're constantly jamming roguelike elements into their games - but at least they actually have some diversity in genre over there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

But despite the fact that's it's a single player game with no DLC they have this little dopamine drip collectibles system with 3 different resources and different shops to spend them for different cosmetics, like it's some kind of free-to-play nightmare.

it's cheaper than actually making unique and thoughtful gameplay, and addictive enough to draw more people in than it drives off, if only just. :capitalism:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was so excited to play jedi survivor on my new pc, and it was so bad I deleted it and canceled all gaming services

gently caress video games!!!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Just finished watching MoS (didn't realize it was made 10 years ago), and it's so perfect. I love everything about it. The nods to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom chronicles, the chitinous/insectoid design of Kryptonian ships, the chemistry between Clark and Lois, and the gravity behind Zod. It's such a human story, and I like how it seems to emphasize that the stoic character Clark puts up as Kal-El is just a facade. It's not who he is. He's Clark, someone who cares and someone who struggles, and Cavill plays him perfectly.

I'm going to watch BvS next, and cap it off with ZSJL.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bogus Adventure posted:

Just finished watching MoS (didn't realize it was made 10 years ago), and it's so perfect. I love everything about it. The nods to Edgar Rice Burroughs' Barsoom chronicles, the chitinous/insectoid design of Kryptonian ships, the chemistry between Clark and Lois, and the gravity behind Zod. It's such a human story, and I like how it seems to emphasize that the stoic character Clark puts up as Kal-El is just a facade. It's not who he is. He's Clark, someone who cares and someone who struggles, and Cavill plays him perfectly.

I'm going to watch BvS next, and cap it off with ZSJL.

One of us, one of us

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

McSpanky posted:

One of us, one of us

I may not have the gangtag, but I'm a Sicko at heart

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Cross-posting this for what should be obvious reasons...

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I have a severely CD/Zizek-brained leftist superhero work coming out in a few weeks. It's been called an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." If people are interested I could drop some links in here, I guess? Some of the conversation over the past few pages has felt like people might enjoy it!

josh04 posted:

Yes please!

Okay, so, weeks turned into months for a few reasons. For the past few years, I've been working on a superhero novel. Only, that isn't the right summary. It's an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." I consider it a superhero novel in the sense that Man of Steel is a superhero film. Or perhaps how Blindsight is a vampire novel, if you read sci-fi.

It's called In Sekhmet's Shadow. It follows a young woman who dons a suit of power armor to avenge her father and avert her nightmares of an apocalyptic future -- nightmares of fire and ash and blood, where the air isn't filled with the cries of those she has saved but the screams of her victims. Think The Boys meets Neon Genesis Evangelion. But it's also inspired by the writings of Zizek, Mark Fisher, and a particular strain of such thought that SMG blesses us with. The status quo is the enemy -- how do you save the world from it?

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited, and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. And while people really liked the guitar-playing goth-bot, they're less sure about the romance. I'll be putting up a chapter every day (the first six are up at present) and, at approximately sixty chapters it'll be complete in two months. I want to give people an opportunity to read it, especially people from CD which is a forum that, if I'm honest, has been a massive creative inspiration. Here's the blurb.

quote:

The year is 2061, and the world has ended. In the city of Asclepion, Sabra Kasembe dreams of a superheroic future yet wakes to the taste of blood and ash. When her father is shot six times in a heist gone wrong, she resolves to bring those responsible to justice—no matter where the trail might lead.

To do this, she'll need to team up with a washed-up superhero, a brooding robotic woman, and the very man who shot her father. Because he is her only link to a conspiracy that threatens to shake the Functioning World to its core. But it may be impossible to save a world on the brink of apocalypse without pushing it over the edge. As her reckoning approaches, Sabra realizes that her future may not be filled not with the cries of those she's saved, but the screams of her victims...

IN SEKHMET'S SHADOW is a post-superhero sci-fi thriller updating every day until completion, and first of a trilogy (IN SEKHMET'S WAKE, IN SEKHMET'S HANDS.) It is intended for mature audiences and features violence, swearing, and ideas that may be considered traumatic or provocative. But remember this: everyone finds love in the end.
If you have a RR account, a follow/rating can help, too.

The reason why I'm cross-posting here is not just because I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder and consider his films the only superhero texts I'm genuinely inspired by, but because an editor summed up my authorial sensibilities as "What if Zack Snyder made an arthouse film?" That, and watching ZSJL with the thread regulars in the Discord is one of those things that I wish I could experience again for the first time.

I feel like if there's an audience for this thing, it's probably in Snyder sickos who can appreciate character-driven introspection, brutal action, and a real mythological bent. My own experience with the publishing system over the past year or thereabouts also gives me even more sympathy for what any artist goes through to get their vision on the screen or the page or anything else. ZSJL was an amazing coup.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Cross-posting this for what should be obvious reasons...

Okay, so, weeks turned into months for a few reasons. For the past few years, I've been working on a superhero novel. Only, that isn't the right summary. It's an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." I consider it a superhero novel in the sense that Man of Steel is a superhero film. Or perhaps how Blindsight is a vampire novel, if you read sci-fi.

It's called In Sekhmet's Shadow. It follows a young woman who dons a suit of power armor to avenge her father and avert her nightmares of an apocalyptic future -- nightmares of fire and ash and blood, where the air isn't filled with the cries of those she has saved but the screams of her victims. Think The Boys meets Neon Genesis Evangelion. But it's also inspired by the writings of Zizek, Mark Fisher, and a particular strain of such thought that SMG blesses us with. The status quo is the enemy -- how do you save the world from it?

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited, and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. And while people really liked the guitar-playing goth-bot, they're less sure about the romance. I'll be putting up a chapter every day (the first six are up at present) and, at approximately sixty chapters it'll be complete in two months. I want to give people an opportunity to read it, especially people from CD which is a forum that, if I'm honest, has been a massive creative inspiration. Here's the blurb.

If you have a RR account, a follow/rating can help, too.

The reason why I'm cross-posting here is not just because I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder and consider his films the only superhero texts I'm genuinely inspired by, but because an editor summed up my authorial sensibilities as "What if Zack Snyder made an arthouse film?" That, and watching ZSJL with the thread regulars in the Discord is one of those things that I wish I could experience again for the first time.

I feel like if there's an audience for this thing, it's probably in Snyder sickos who can appreciate character-driven introspection, brutal action, and a real mythological bent. My own experience with the publishing system over the past year or thereabouts also gives me even more sympathy for what any artist goes through to get their vision on the screen or the page or anything else. ZSJL was an amazing coup.

I might actually read this.

Maybe.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McSpanky posted:

One of us, one of us

Even io9 had a fairly positive 10th anniversary retrospective on Man of Steel last week, though some of their complaints--like seeing too much of Krypton at the start, or it leaning too much into mythology, or that "a lot of the material feels like it was written for its own sake" (??)--still seem obtuse. But even so, if io9 of all places is willing to admit that it's a good movie, and after the good response to the Snyder Cut, I think it's only a matter of time before BvS gets its own re-evaluation and the trifecta is complete.

https://gizmodo.com/man-of-steel-superman-dc-snyder-10-year-anniversary-1850527969

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

josh04 posted:

The part where I notice it the most is Gal Gadots makeup since the saturation and make up job on JL2017 and Flash makes her look super rosy lipped and cheeked compared to ZSJL and WW and it feels like a deliberate choice to make her look approachable and not like a pissed off warrior.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Gonna say no, not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC4gt18EUw0

Seeing the original (ambitious) WB schedules though does get me thinking, if they were not so incompetent at getting films made they would have had the whole big DCEU/snyderverse done and released alongside marvel's big comic book movies and before covid hit, they could have basically wrapped the whole thing up with a bow and then used the covid years to take a break and plan out their new universe or whatever they wanted to do and it would have been fine

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 22, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Literally the whole problem is WB's management got all twitter-brained and blew up all their planning because they saw the MCU making money and popularity and wanted to make the MCU to get the MCU's money and popularity.

The MCU only managed to take off because they held their nerve even when Captain America and Thor were popular but didn't light the world on fire like Iron Man did, rather than throw all their toys out the pram. And also have a guy specifically there to tell Disney's c-suite to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Chairman Capone posted:

Even io9 had a fairly positive 10th anniversary retrospective on Man of Steel last week, though some of their complaints--like seeing too much of Krypton at the start, or it leaning too much into mythology, or that "a lot of the material feels like it was written for its own sake" (??)--still seem obtuse.

Agree. You gotta love it. These are complaints written for their own sake (ha!), for the sake of having complaints. No I'm not going to read the article, I have a life.

OK, let's take that onboard and have like 7.29% less Krypton and lean less into mythology, say by 5.68%.

What changes, "io9" (if that's even your real name)?

Note: this should not be construed that there aren't criticisms to be made of MoS. But these are, um, not it, chief.