Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeh he's right that the game controller loling is bit of a gimmick lol, bc even the loving army uses game controllers so like. it's just considered a legit way to source parts for your rolling and floaty machines nowadays. its not like the controller has to handle thousands of pounds of pressure, it just has to be able to steer something.

game controllers went from something to kill NPCs to something used to kill real people and steer tanks like 15 years ago

I do genuinely think that's the wrong hangup because you're right.
What IS wrong is using some cheap out 3rd party controller, it being strictly wireless, and there only being ONE with no backups.
E: I remember seeing military stuff on TV using ps2 controllers in the early 2k's and thinking, "wow the future" as a kid, :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

smoobles posted:

also the more I think about it, there's no way they were at the ocean floor. If they didn't implode, it would've been a power or comms failure, and they would have dropped the ballast (which can be done with or without power)

they either died instantly, or at the surface, I think.

should've installed a GPS beacon ya dinguses

The one thing we know for sure is their comms with the surface failed 2/3rds of the way through descent.

The last time that happened they started dropping ballast to go back up. So that's probably the "procedure". (Then comms came back and they resumed the dive.) OTOH this is a crack-hand operation and maybe they've stopped aborting the dive when they lose comms because it happens all the time.

Their ballast drop systems were extremely improvised. It seems plausible that if they had an electrical failure (cutting comms and standard ballast controls) that their whole "everybody sit on one side to roll the sub so the pipes fall off" thing didn't work. So that would be the slow horrible death on the bottom of the ocean.

A submersible expert doesn't think they imploded, because implosions would make a loud boom detectable on passive sonar. But a carbon fiber sub is way out in the "not well characterized" zone so maybe it's possible for carbon fiber pressure tubes to fail in ways that don't make a big boom, or it makes a noise that wouldn't be instantly recognizable.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What kind of rhythms are we talking about here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9V78UbdzWI

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There’s a good chance they’ll never be found.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I was just thinking last night about the high probability this is going to happen to crew of billionaires on a SpaceX or Blue Horizon rocket in the next few years.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Another Bill posted:

I was just thinking last night about the high probability this is going to happen to crew of billionaires on a SpaceX or Blue Horizon rocket in the next few years.

God willing and the creek don't rise

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Why do all these billionaires keep dying on my subs?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Another Bill posted:

We might get to see Bezos vaporized but Elon’s too much of a coward to get on one of his own rockets (because he knows they’re poo poo).

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What kind of rhythms are we talking about here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
If it weren't for all the unnecessary safety regulation, they'd have been saved by now.

quote:

Exclusive: Life-saving equipment for Titanic sub search caught in red tape, Explorers Club says

Efforts by the Explorers Club to send potentially life-saving technology to locate and retrieve the missing Titan submersible have been delayed by the U.S. Coast Guard since Monday, according to exclusive information provided to National Geographic.

National Geographic can also reveal that at least one remotely operated vehicle (ROV) was destroyed during the search for the submersible.

Explorers Club president Richard Garriott de Cayeux says that offers from club leadership to deliver working-class ROVs from deep-water firm Magellan to the search since Monday have been tied up in a bureaucratic snafu.

Two crew members onboard the missing submersible, Hamish Harding and Paul-Henri Nargeolet, are Explorers Club members.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/titan-submersible-rescue-delay-explorers-club

Fansy fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orlbo9WkZ2E

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/pobrecitayarita/status/1671578720329506822?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

The original tweet is from february

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

hate to say it but this failson is great at twitter. everyone else whining about him liking OF models pics is wrong.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/its_menieb/status/1671855441452625925

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Windows 98 posted:

hate to say it but this failson is great at twitter. everyone else whining about him liking OF models pics is wrong.

But the video and tweet rant over "Nwords" was good?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Grey Cat posted:

:emptyquote:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/InternetH0F/status/1671893605345263617?s=20

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah gonna need an explanation for this one chief

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

turn off the TV posted:

i do not think that the army uses 30 dollar controllers from logitech

and they all seem to be wired.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Windows 98 posted:

he got milkshake ducked in record time

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah gonna need an explanation for this one chief

They said the failson was great at twitter, and that's exactly what he did on twitter last night before either being banned or deleting his twitter.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

They said the failson was great at twitter, and that's exactly what he did on twitter last night before either being banned or deleting his twitter.

No I meant how is he great at Twitter when he dropped that n-word rant

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Seth Pecksniff posted:

He's not, I'm implying he's not great.
E: I feel like the message is just being read weird after being written weird.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah probably

I'm not going to hit it it's just weird to say after last night

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah probably

I'm not going to hit it it's just weird to say after last night

Was going for more of a, "but do people still think he's great after X"?
Text hard.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Back onto sub, how many years have to go by before we can expect to see Titanic II1/2

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Titanic wreck is way too deep for any crabs apparently.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This person said:

Windows 98 posted:

and Grey Cat is asking "you think the rant about nword was good?"

(OTOH I have no idea what Windows 98 is even talking about as the twitter they quoted is not the failson.)

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
also it was just a weird comment to begin with, why bring up the failson at all in response to the "nvm" tweet? That's a completely random, unrelated person. e:fb

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/its_menieb/status/1671855441452625925?t=s7sSaVaaRcUDyCZEW4uDXA&s=19

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Klyith posted:

This person said:

and Grey Cat is asking "you think the rant about nword was good?"

(OTOH I have no idea what Windows 98 is even talking about as the twitter they quoted is not the failson.)

Thank you for getting my words there that my Tism could not. That's what I was going for!
You're also right it wasn't related to the son at all but I passed over that bit.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I believe in them

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

That sounds like crab propaganda, it's exactly what they'd want you to think, luring you into a false sense of security before the final pinch.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 22, 2023

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
gently caress stonetoss

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

what about giant isopods

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Klyith posted:

Most research DSVs

Holy poo poo, I finally put together what the DSV in Seaquest DSV stood for. I thought it was just like a random designator when I was a kid.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Last Chance posted:

There’s a good chance they’ll never be found.

What would even make it to the bottom? The ballast should, and those rails look pretty solid. Billionaire goo is just gonna float away.

I haven't used it a lot, but one of the reasons to use carbon fiber is that it is light, and it certainly does have a fun tendency to shatter when it gets super-stressed, so would there just be a lot of (relatively) little, light pieces that will get caught on a current and scattered all over the place (good luck finding that) or would it drop reasonably fast?

If they find the L'il Brudder controller (he ain't gonna make it) that thing is gonna make SO MUCH money on eBay. Starting bid is $250,001.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Government Handjob posted:

gently caress stonetoss

Racist bigot transphobe alt-reicher stonetoss? The very same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

turn off the TV posted:

i do not think that the army uses 30 dollar controllers from logitech

With at least some of the robots I work with in EOD (or worked with; I leave this week), you could fairly-easily plug in a functional USB gamepad into the control laptop and remap a few keys and be good to go

Lotta stuff in the military runs off of what is essentially last-gen commercial software with some extra bells and whistles for security and durability.