Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sorry everyone, I was going to go and get them, but I must have misplaced my second diving boot somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

do not scrum. do not scrum.

let's take this offline

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

let's take this offline
we can circle back later

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
Our leadership pushed real hard on getting our product process over to Agile about a year ago, I'm in actuarial product not IT, and then the Agile coach retired mid-way through trying to coach us and so the whole thing was dropped (we're back to ??? now) lmao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Imagine Musk committing to any kind of training regimen. I literally cannot grasp onto the image in my minds eye. It's like trying to conceive of a 4 sided triangle.

the fourth side is time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

The timer thing is very grotesque

so's selling tickets to a mass grave for 250k a pop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

19 o'clock posted:

Working through recruiters for even mildly technically challenging work sucks because i cannot have a basic conversation about the work itself. I need to ELI5 to the recruiter how I fit he requirements for the job so that I can hopefully get to a real interview to actually talk about the work. then i find out from the actual hiring manager that the recruiter has no idea what the job entails and i am definitely the wrong candidate.

this comes after retyping my resume for their application process.

this is a huge part of the problem that i empathize with. i can get interviews at a rate of about 75-100 cold applications to one phone screen and 90% don't even send an auto rejection any more. but i can get interviews at all which is better than some people.

then even when i get a screen, the recruiters don't understand anything even if they work at an engineering-heavy company, and i absolutely cannot reasonably explain what i worked on without being unbelievably generic to which point it doesn't sound important. then even the hiring managers themselves are awful most of the time. the worst part are the generic questions relating to product work, because "it depends" is objectively the correct answer for all of them and that's not good enough

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

cat botherer posted:

we can circle back later

I don’t have the bandwidth for this

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

sonatinas posted:

I don’t have the bandwidth for this

parking lot

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

my biggest pet peeve are product titles not meaning anything at all so it's hard to even know if you're a fit for a role depending on what a given company thinks that role should be

at some companies you're actually working on defining roadmap and talking to customers. at others you're a glorified scrum master or writing engineering tickets for some godforsaken reason

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Oldest Man posted:

Yes and?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I’m gonna scrum

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Im so glad I don't have to know what any of this loving poo poo is

so you're familiar with the idea that people have a boss and the boss says "lets do this" or "lets make that" and the employees do this or make that. normal stuff before the explosion of service or non-productive productivity took over america.

what you're looking at is when around 65% of jobs are unnecessary so an almost incomprehensible amount of "process details" are added in to make those jobs feel necessary.

triple sulk posted:

my biggest pet peeve are product titles not meaning anything at all so it's hard to even know if you're a fit for a role depending on what a given company thinks that role should be

at some companies you're actually working on defining roadmap and talking to customers. at others you're a glorified scrum master or writing engineering tickets for some godforsaken reason

Lol i was a "Sales Associate" for years. like i was on the non-partner track for the big box retail store. now i'm an analyst but i don't analyze anything. like i apply more analysis to shitposting nba trades than what i do for money to stay alive.

life is too weird man

Ammanas has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Jun 22, 2023

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Oldest Man posted:

What's grotesque about picking your own funeral plot?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

I imagine it’s hard to find something that’s been crushed to the size of a coke can in such a large area.

Oh well!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

uninterrupted posted:

every time I read BJJ my brains translates it to blowjobjob

Ball joint jezebel coming for my cremation

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

What's grotesque about picking your own funeral plot?

They aren't making any more land in the sea!!!! buy in before the market explodes!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i think im gonna watch the kristen stewart movie "UNDERWATER" tonight to celebrate the demise of garbage humans

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

also the advice i've seen of "try to reach out directly to the recruiters at places you're interested in" is a load of bullshit

they don't answer anything

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

also the advice i've seen of "try to reach out directly to the recruiters at places you're interested in" is a load of bullshit

This is great advice when the economy is hopping but the tech industry has been bracing for recession for more than a year now and most hiring is on indefinite freezes

You're only likely to get work through contract jobs and temping at the moment

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

triple sulk posted:

I want a reality show where we have boomers try and get a job with their own lovely advice, then filming their inevitable breakdown when trying to walk in to talk to the hiring manager with their paper resume doesn't work

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

triple sulk posted:

this is a huge part of the problem that i empathize with. i can get interviews at a rate of about 75-100 cold applications to one phone screen and 90% don't even send an auto rejection any more. but i can get interviews at all which is better than some people.

then even when i get a screen, the recruiters don't understand anything even if they work at an engineering-heavy company, and i absolutely cannot reasonably explain what i worked on without being unbelievably generic to which point it doesn't sound important. then even the hiring managers themselves are awful most of the time. the worst part are the generic questions relating to product work, because "it depends" is objectively the correct answer for all of them and that's not good enough

So just lie and say you did exciting things?

Or just repeat phrases from the job listing.

Don't listen to me I have worked at the same place for 12 years and don't get callbacks for the smattering of things I am qualified for that pay more than my job now.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

I want a reality show where we have boomers try and get a job with their own lovely advice, then filming their inevitable breakdown when trying to walk in to talk to the hiring manager with their paper resume doesn't work

my wife's uncle straight up just drifted across the eastern US after college, working odd construction jobs, until he settled in Ithaca NY and got a job in administration at Cornell. They straight up just do not understand how easy they had it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

This is great advice when the economy is hopping but the tech industry has been bracing for recession for more than a year now and most hiring is on indefinite freezes

You're only likely to get work through contract jobs and temping at the moment

i don't even know how the gently caress i'd get a contract job at this point. even that seems hard.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

triple sulk posted:

i don't even know how the gently caress i'd get a contract job at this point. even that seems hard.

yeah it owns. chuckling to myself like an old coal miner being told I just need to learn to code

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

triple sulk posted:

Lower your standards a lot and start looking for jobs that pay about a fifth of what you were making assuming you are a software engineer or it manager

Those 60k/yr jobs might look like garbage to you but it's what the rest of the industry is making and is probably going to be the new normal for programmers when the dust settles anyway

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 18:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Acelerion posted:

I used to design/qualify equipment for 3000m operation and the kind of dramatic hull failure you think about is pretty rare. Its far more likely that O-rings or other seals and feedthroughs were wrong sized / fatigued / or snagged a lip and cut during installation. These kinds of failures can start as small leaks that quickly become a 5000psi pressure washer blast and may actually just slowly fill the tube with freezing water. What Im saying is that its very likely these people knew they hosed up.

how does 17 3/8 inch bolts sound instead

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1671917200242794497?t=efuFtDo_ouJi8AQ-N5l5gg&s=19

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I’m gonna scrum

do not scrum

do not scrum

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Whoops! no penalty

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

just a lil whoopsie

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The largest u.s. financial firm and it doesn't have records redundancy? Weird!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mods, please filter "jamie dimon" to "jamie demon," tia.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Justin Tyme posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if BAH in the PNW is below the going rate for the area given inflation. Isn't BAH capped?

it’s set on a per year basis. I worked on part of the rate setting activity from 2006-2009 and while I don’t know what the process looks like today, to provide input for the annual survey that drives the rates took 25-50% (despite being identified as a collateral duty) of my time to actually do it correctly and get a large enough sample size of rentals across all the mandated anchor points, while also learning how to use ArcGIS to set up exclusion zones.

I don’t think it’s capped beyond whatever the set point is, but it’s definitely a focal point with HASC/SASC and the various service chiefs because as has been correctly surmised here not sheltering your military leads to suboptimal outcomes

that said there’s a lot of moralization attached to the process and item generally so you get wildly different qualities of outcomes between services

this hotel in particular looks like it might one of the public-private venture or NAF operations which are both festering shitheap a that serve to funnel public funding into questionable things, though to a much smaller magnitude than all the weapons and service contracting

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Im so glad I don't have to know what any of this loving poo poo is

It's actually from the spin off manga but that wasn't released outside of japan.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

one weird trick regulators hate!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Lower your standards a lot and start looking for jobs that pay about a fifth of what you were making assuming you are a software engineer or it manager

Those 60k/yr jobs might look like garbage to you but it's what the rest of the industry is making and is probably going to be the new normal for programmers when the dust settles anyway

i'd be ok with around 75k or so if push came to shove but those wages just don't really seem to exist from the postings i see

loving recruiters and hiring managers won't even answer me in linkedin despite supposedly trying to hire!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

A friend is a SRE who got laid off and was just griping about how he got an offer but it was 50% less than he was making and it took every fiber of my being to not tell him to cry some more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Hmmm... proletarianizing computer touchers and soldiers is an interesting choice. I suppose it does make more money this quarter though.