Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Coach Spins' top 10 sleepers, ranked from least sleepy (people know about them and they'll picked relatively early) to most (people don't)

10. Omax prosper
Versatile point of attack defender, can chase shooters, learning to be a catch and shoot threat

9.Kobe brown
Strong frame/versatile player who plays from 3-5, became a prospect because he shot 40% from three after not being a shooter prior 3 years.
handle create pnr/can muscle low post/ can make passes within scheme

8 . Ben Sheppard
19 ppg while shooting 41.5 from three. Plays wing but grew up as a pg.

7.Jalen slawson
Forward with long arms and true athleticism. Versatile offensive player, played as point forward hub of furmans team. fits with high iq players and shotmakers. Value comes from being smart and strong defense-good helper with shot blocking instinct

6.Colin Castleton
6'11 center who's great indrop and can block shots. Good playmaking center, makes good passes all over. Good passer and playmaker out of pn pop.

5. patrick gardner from marist (adding schools for guys you may have never heard of)
good spot up /pn pop shooter. has sneaky upside as a pull up shooter, good in scheme passer. Can post up or take other bigs off the dribble
Good 2 way or training camp invitee.

4.Justyn Mutts from VT
Downhill slasher who can finish at the basket. good bball iq. be a good creator for others there. can create from short roll. valid threat at the nail. defender

3.Landers Nolley
knockdown shooter, 6'7 w 6'11 wnigspan and quick/pure release. set shot without a lot of elevation w true range. consistent jab and release jumpshot

2. Craig Porter Jr from ISU
Competitve and bursty athleticism at pg. Crafty finisher, great change of speed, has both hands near rim, generally shifty. Very good pull up shooter. Probably a g league guy but he could rise up. Great shotblocker for 6'2

1.Vincent Valerio-Vodon
6'10 forward in europe who played at lower levels, but he's a great shooter with consistent range, both off catch and off dribble. been performing well in pre draft workouts , may end up in 2nd round

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The league definitely needs a fourth Porter Jr.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Dejan Bimble posted:

4.Justyn Mutts from VT
Downhill slasher who can finish at the basket. good bball iq. be a good creator for others there. can create from short roll. valid threat at the nail. defender
Got that dog yn him

I'm very curious if Andre Jackson Jr manages to sneak into the end of the first round.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dokmo posted:

The league definitely needs a fourth Porter Jr.

What the actual gently caress?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

They are a plague

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/ComplexSports/status/1671553272723779586?s=20

uhhhh

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Jesus Christ NBA reporting is horrendous. Took him a full meandering diatribe to ask "Who is the GOAT?"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

hahaha

https://twitter.com/rodboone/status/1671540049274339331?s=20

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

mods???

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The full answer was a much more milquetoast “I’m making the pick but Jordan is still the owner and gets final say but also we’re having ongoing discussions with the new owners”
M

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jordan probably doesn't know more than 3 prospects who aren't tarheels.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

One last "gently caress you" to the city of Charlotte.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1671569492034322438?s=46&t=ckPt10nE464AHv1IdSGFyg

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

If we didn't already know he had questionable judgment...

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Jesus Christ NBA reporting is horrendous. Took him a full meandering diatribe to ask "Who is the GOAT?"

Yeah I still don't know wtf he asked. Also I want to die please don't be a dumbass Miller

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yeah i think Denver's looking for some cost controlled rotation pieces deep in the draft going into the new CBA with their core pretty much set in stone.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

This seems like a really good trade for Denver.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The Pacers are trading eight spots back to get a Denver pick next year in a weaker draft? Why?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mean Baby posted:

The Pacers are trading eight spots back to get a Denver pick next year in a weaker draft? Why?

Only thing I can think of is that Indy already has 12 players under contract, so maybe they wanted to avoid adding an additional player this year

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mean Baby posted:

I'm pretty sure they're in a similar position OKC was when they made their trade, they cannot sign all their upcoming first rounders so they need to move some of their picks for later ones.

Denver has done a great job taking advantage of the situation both of those teams were in.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Indy already has 12 players under contract, so maybe they wanted to avoid adding an additional player this year

Prior to this trade they had 3 first round picks, so yeah, roster size was becoming an issue.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 21, 2023

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mean Baby posted:

They have 4 picks late in this draft (26, 29, 32, 55) plus their lottery pick. They were never gonna draft 5 rookies and give all 5 minutes on a team that's already pretty young.

They kick the can down the road on 29 until next year (pick might even be better than 29 next year) and get 40 for another trade.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Panzeh posted:

Yeah i think Denver's looking for some cost controlled rotation pieces deep in the draft going into the new CBA with their core pretty much set in stone.

Pretty much the strongest possible play you can make to bolster a title team in this new CBA era.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

dokmo posted:

They are a plague

Oh, I'm aware. It's never a prefixless Porter. Always a Jr. It's like that SSN that only use on intelligence agents. All the Porter Jr.s are plants

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think it should be pluralized as Porters Junior

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Welcome to Charlotte, Amen Thompson

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What if the Miller to Charlotte rumors were started by MJ and his plan was to dump his windfall from selling the team on Scoot to go #2

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the Pacers had 5 picks this draft and were never gonna keep them all. I think this means they figured they aren't gonna use any of them for a trade for a player or to move up so they decided to pick up another first later.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bad teams don't. Sure.

But in addition to what was just said about SGA, Ja, Ant, etc, Jimmy Butler was all NBA, second in the league in WS/48 this Year, and got his team into the finals.

Teams that ignore the interior are, at best, regular season teams. That's the ceiling. Slashing, midrange, and post games may be a lost art, but that just makes the guys who still have it in their bag worth more than this entire league of soft scrubs.

As a Raptors fan I can tell you the difference between the team pre-Poeltl and post was night and day. Because they had a guy who could collect offensive rebounds, defend low post scoring attempts, had a decent post game and could play 30 minutes a night

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 21, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As a Raptors fan I can tell you the difference between the team pre-Poeltl and post was night and day. Because they had a guy who collect offensive rebounds, defend low post scoring attempts, had a decent post game and could play 30 minutes a night

Rim protection is a vital part of NBA basketball, especially in the regular season, playing small will exhaust your team and make them more likely to get hurt. It's useful to have a large man to get in the way at a high level

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The legacy of the MJ ownership saga is that maybe Jerry Krause was the good guy in Chicago.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

three posted:

The legacy of the MJ ownership saga is that maybe Jerry Krause was the good guy in Chicago.

Let's not get outta control.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

If Lebron's GMing while playing is any indication he will be a similar quality owner as MJ for his Vegas team in 5-10 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lebron will post through it instead of just leaving to play golf and blackjack with Charles Oakley. That's going to be way better.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

thank you to all of our seasoned veteran draft posters whose efforts and time have brought us to this day. here's to all of your mocks and rankings getting blown up as chaos reigns :cheers:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Useless draft day predictions:

Jordan Hawkins goes in the lottery
Andre Jackson Jr sneaks into the end of the first
Someone burns a top 50 pick on Emoni Bates
Neither the Murrays nor the Thompsons end up together
We all laugh at Dallas

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
do we think the thompson twins are going to share a bank account like the morri do?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1671914311093043203?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

God willing

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have decided that Bufkin is my dude, he gets bonus points for having a name that sounds like a Zelda creature.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1671923839750610944?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

That a weird trade to do before knowing who’s available