Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Pookah posted:

It's pretty jarring to be looking at this footage, seeing familiar parts, like the railing on the bow, the deck fittings etc, and then, out of nowhere, a seemingly perfectly preserved bathtub and its plumbing

I thought it was supposed to have imploded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

holy poo poo the original tweet is from September '22

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Hazo posted:

OCEARCH is a group that captures, tags (with acoustic and/or satellite receivers), and releases sharks and other large oceanic critters and makes their locations available to the public whenever the animals get close enough to the surface to "ping."

These pings are subject to errors for a variety of reasons, which is what happened here. Andromache and Simon are both subadult great white sharks in the 10 foot/400 lb range who move up and down the Atlantic coast. Their actual locations have been corrected to show that they're in the Bay of Fundy, not hovering near the Titanic wreck 500 miles away from the erroneous ping.

Great whites have been recorded around a max of 4,000 feet. The only deeper large predatory sharks are Hexanchids (sixgills like the sleeper shark and Greenland shark) that go to MAYBE as deep as 7,000 feet. I don't think OCEARCH tracks any sixgills though.

The fact that two of them would register exactly where the titanic is, at that time, is very suspicious as to be unlikely. Maybe ocearch accidentally picked up their signal from the boat and it accidentally got assigned to the sharks

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

escapegoat posted:

I thought it was supposed to have imploded?

The portapotty is built to survive anything

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the Logitech controller would easily fetch $100k on ebay if they find it

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cowslips Warren posted:

i wonder what the local animals thought when that ship went down.

"feast"

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Axel Serenity posted:

The next sub will require the Armored Core grip

Use one of these mother fuckers for the next one

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has it actually been made yet? That looks like video game concept art.

dear god no none of this poo poo gets made

I was part of an org that was doing this poo poo for personal flying drones and it's all the same poo poo - wildly ambitious mock ups all falling dead when the funding goes dry after elon musk suddenly doesn't invest in them

I'm literally wearing one of the promotional polos right now lmfao

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

i must compose posted:

Motion controls

A Wiimote control scheme sounds extremely ill-considered for controlling the orientation of your immediate environment since just small initial tilt can send the tincan reeling magnifying the runaway effect quickly turning the submersible into unstoppable Mr. Bones' wild ride.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Archonex posted:

Still doesn't explain the banging sound. My money is on parts of the hull, ballast, or windows getting damaged by the pressure leading to loud popping and banging noises until the whole thing just gave way and imploded.

We probably won't know for sure unless they release the sounds though. If there's a really loud noise towards the end then i'd say that's what it was.

Didn't the sub have an automated thumper thing designed to bang on the hull in the event of disaster?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

interesting that they're called "billionaires" when they in fact have zero airs

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Eric Cantonese posted:

Has it actually been made yet? That looks like video game concept art.

They announced it in 2021 and after what looks like a bunch of puff pieces in rich yacht people kinda media and a podcast that fizzled out last year I haven't been able to find a picture of anyone actually in one, so it's quite possible it's vaporware, yeah. Might also just be something that hasn't been ordered by anyone or whatever megarich people who did get one haven't shown it off. Several other things they've actually built also look pretty snazzy (and afaik haven't imploded).

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The fact that two of them would register exactly where the titanic is, at that time, is very suspicious as to be unlikely. Maybe ocearch accidentally picked up their signal from the boat and it accidentally got assigned to the sharks

you can attract sharks by throwing chum in the water. just an idea why two sharks would be hanging around that location.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Cythereal posted:

Didn't the sub have an automated thumper thing designed to bang on the hull in the event of disaster?

That may be if so. Still means the thing just imploded (Or the windows gave out and turned the occupants into ravioli and watery mist.) over time though.

Everything that's been said about this sub says that it should never have been brought down that deep.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

gregday posted:

That’s me. I’ve known about thalassophobia but that was never quite right. It’s not the water it’s that freaks me out.

The shot in Titanic when the last bit of the ship, the flagpole with the ball at the end, finally goes under, unnerves the poo poo out of me.

You're welcome/unwelcome.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I was going through some old video and found this.

The Titanic Museum's virtual sub exhibit has a more advanced control system than the deathtube.

Also if you're ever in Belfast with an afternoon to kill, it's a really great museum and a ticket is about 10,000x less than what those chucklefucks paid.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Cythereal posted:

they summoned shai-hulud :thunk:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Imploded. Rip. This is why no one uses carbon fibre hulls becsuse its incredibly reckless. With any luck the guy who got fired over raising these concerns years ago is vindicated by this and wins his wrongful termination suit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i feel like this is going to destroy the gaming speculation market. whoever recovers the lost shards of that logitech controller is going to make that unopened mario 64 look like the wheat penny

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I was going through some old video and found this.

The Titanic Museum's virtual sub exhibit has a more advanced control system than the deathtube.

Also if you're ever in Belfast with an afternoon to kill, it's a really great museum and a ticket is about 10,000x less than what those chucklefucks paid.

That doesn't look like an accurate virtual recreation. The joystick should be sideways.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

I happened while BBC was filming a documentary. Nobody from oceangate seems to give much of a poo poo that they installed a thruster 90 degrees off.
Starts at about 21:20 in the video.
https://vimeo.com/810451492

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Imploded. Rip. This is why no one uses carbon fibre hulls becsuse its incredibly reckless. With any luck the guy who got fired over raising these concerns years ago is vindicated by this and wins his wrongful termination suit.

I sue you, jellied corpse!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrxDTVXtrTU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Press conference has started

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rgb8UCU7e8

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Presser is starting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rgb8UCU7e8

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
imagine if the billionaires all got together and tried to aid humanity in this hellscape haha.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i hate when this happens in tears of the kingdom

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

#capitalism

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

they’re toast

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Space Jam posted:

they’re toast

No, they’re applesauce, kinda

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

eviltastic posted:

They announced it in 2021 and after what looks like a bunch of puff pieces in rich yacht people kinda media and a podcast that fizzled out last year I haven't been able to find a picture of anyone actually in one, so it's quite possible it's vaporware, yeah. Might also just be something that hasn't been ordered by anyone or whatever megarich people who did get one haven't shown it off. Several other things they've actually built also look pretty snazzy (and afaik haven't imploded).

Yeah, looks like that one hasn't been built yet, but they've already built ones capable of going to much greater depths and most importantly, coming back from them in one piece and undamaged, so it seems well within their capabilities.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lolol

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Submariners turned into nutritious paste strong for bones but alas, not that strong

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Catastrophic pressure loss

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Take that, doubters.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

They found the tail cone and debris consistent with "catastrophic loss" of the pressure vessel

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Presser says it imploded. Catastrophic failure of the vessel.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

quote:

Explorers Club says ‘debris field’ found may belong to missing Titanic tourist submersible

The Explorers Club told its members Thursday that a “debris field” found during a search of the missing Titanic tourist submersible “may be the landing frame and a rear cover of the tail instrument compartment” of the vessel lost on previous dives.

“We hear there may be additional debris, but no updated visuals of the submersible,” Richard Garriott wrote in an email to Explorers Club members. “We will all be watching the Coast Guard press conference for official news of the rescue. We are not the source for search and rescue. Any official updates should come from the Coast Guard.”

The U.S. Coast Guard was expected to give a 3 p.m. press conference to provide an update on the search for the missing submersible.

The Explorers Club is an international society of adventurers that included Hamish Harding, a U.K. aviator and millionaire who was one of five passengers on board the submersible that went missing Sunday.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Pressurization is for Pussies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Archonex posted:

Presser says it imploded.

pressure*